Auras

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Auras

#1  Postby Animavore » Apr 05, 2010 10:53 am

A friend of mine who's into kung-fu and chi asked me if science can explain auras and then when I had no answer proceeded to bash me with the "science can't explain everything" canard.

Does anyone know of any explanation for auras (I mean besides delusion)?


And for you amusement if you haven't seen it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIaV8swc-fo[/youtube]
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44864
Age: 43
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Auras

#2  Postby campermon » Apr 05, 2010 10:54 am

Auras are made up nonsense.
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
User avatar
campermon
RS Donator
 
Posts: 17438
Age: 51
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Auras

#3  Postby Animavore » Apr 05, 2010 10:58 am

I said besides delusion Image

I was wondering if there is a visual effect happening here.

(although it probably is delusion Image)
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44864
Age: 43
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Auras

#4  Postby campermon » Apr 05, 2010 11:00 am

According to wiki;

"Skeptics such as Robert Todd Carroll contend that auras may be seen for explainable reasons such as migraines, synesthesia,[5] epilepsy, a disorder within the visual system, a disorder within the brain, or due to the influence of psychedelic drugs such as LSD.[6][7] Eye fatigue can also produce an aura, sometimes referred to as eye burn."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aura_%28paranormal%29
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
User avatar
campermon
RS Donator
 
Posts: 17438
Age: 51
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Auras

#5  Postby heyjude » Apr 05, 2010 11:02 am

Some info at the skeptic's dictionary too....
I think therefore I am atheist
User avatar
heyjude
 
Posts: 264
Age: 52
Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Auras

#6  Postby Mike_L » Apr 05, 2010 11:02 am

The only aura that's worthy of any attention....
Princess Aura (from the 1980 movie Flash Gordon) :grin:

Image
User avatar
Mike_L
Banned User
 
Posts: 14455
Male

Country: South Africa
Print view this post

Re: Auras

#7  Postby campermon » Apr 05, 2010 11:03 am

Mike_L wrote:The only aura that's worthy of any attention....
Princess Aura (from the 1980 movie Flash Gordon) :grin:

Image


Well played sir!

:cheers:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
User avatar
campermon
RS Donator
 
Posts: 17438
Age: 51
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Auras

#8  Postby Animavore » Apr 05, 2010 11:17 am

Looks like I'll have to tell my friend to see a doctor.
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44864
Age: 43
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Auras

#9  Postby campermon » Apr 05, 2010 11:21 am

Animavore wrote:Looks like I'll have to tell my friend to see a doctor.


Does your friend claim to see auras?
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
User avatar
campermon
RS Donator
 
Posts: 17438
Age: 51
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Auras

#10  Postby Animavore » Apr 05, 2010 11:34 am

campermon wrote:
Animavore wrote:Looks like I'll have to tell my friend to see a doctor.


Does your friend claim to see auras?


Yes. He also claims to have "chi" and he can sense when something is wrong with people (illness or injury).
He said to me "If scientists are so smart then how come they can't explain that? (both the aura and healing abilities)" and then accused me of being "close-minded" :lol:
I used to train with his kung-fu master myself but left because he was full of shit. I once said that I had a pain in my side and he waved his hands around my torso on both sides and said "You have an injury there (points to the upper right of my stomach)". I remember thinking What? There where I just told you I had a pain?
I got it checked and it was gallstones.
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44864
Age: 43
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Auras

#11  Postby campermon » Apr 05, 2010 12:16 pm

Animavore wrote:
campermon wrote:
Animavore wrote:Looks like I'll have to tell my friend to see a doctor.


Does your friend claim to see auras?


Yes. He also claims to have "chi" and he can sense when something is wrong with people (illness or injury).
He said to me "If scientists are so smart then how come they can't explain that? (both the aura and healing abilities)" and then accused me of being "close-minded" :lol:
I used to train with his kung-fu master myself but left because he was full of shit. I once said that I had a pain in my side and he waved his hands around my torso on both sides and said "You have an injury there (points to the upper right of my stomach)". I remember thinking What? There where I just told you I had a pain?
I got it checked and it was gallstones.


In that case, tell you friend to see a doctor!

:lol:


edit - I hear that there are some damned good Reiki practitioners that can cure this sort of problem... ;)
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
User avatar
campermon
RS Donator
 
Posts: 17438
Age: 51
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Auras

#12  Postby Animavore » Apr 05, 2010 12:22 pm

campermon wrote:
Animavore wrote:
campermon wrote:
Animavore wrote:Looks like I'll have to tell my friend to see a doctor.


Does your friend claim to see auras?


Yes. He also claims to have "chi" and he can sense when something is wrong with people (illness or injury).
He said to me "If scientists are so smart then how come they can't explain that? (both the aura and healing abilities)" and then accused me of being "close-minded" :lol:
I used to train with his kung-fu master myself but left because he was full of shit. I once said that I had a pain in my side and he waved his hands around my torso on both sides and said "You have an injury there (points to the upper right of my stomach)". I remember thinking What? There where I just told you I had a pain?
I got it checked and it was gallstones.


In that case, tell you friend to see a doctor!

:lol:


edit - I hear that there are some damned good Reiki practitioners that can cure this sort of problem... ;)


:groan: I daren't tell him that. He'd probably take it seriously and actually go.

Apparently he knows this healing guy who can "burn cancer out of you"

:lol: What? Without damaging the surrounding tissue?
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44864
Age: 43
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Auras

#13  Postby campermon » Apr 05, 2010 12:24 pm

Animavore wrote:
campermon wrote:
Animavore wrote:
campermon wrote:
Animavore wrote:Looks like I'll have to tell my friend to see a doctor.


Does your friend claim to see auras?


Yes. He also claims to have "chi" and he can sense when something is wrong with people (illness or injury).
He said to me "If scientists are so smart then how come they can't explain that? (both the aura and healing abilities)" and then accused me of being "close-minded" :lol:
I used to train with his kung-fu master myself but left because he was full of shit. I once said that I had a pain in my side and he waved his hands around my torso on both sides and said "You have an injury there (points to the upper right of my stomach)". I remember thinking What? There where I just told you I had a pain?
I got it checked and it was gallstones.


In that case, tell you friend to see a doctor!

:lol:


edit - I hear that there are some damned good Reiki practitioners that can cure this sort of problem... ;)


:groan: I daren't tell him that. He'd probably take it seriously and actually go.

Apparently he knows this healing guy who can "burn cancer out of you"

:lol: What? Without damaging the surrounding tissue?


Tell him that such guys do exist - they're called 'radiotherapists' and they work in 'hospitals'!

:lol:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
User avatar
campermon
RS Donator
 
Posts: 17438
Age: 51
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Auras

#14  Postby Mike_L » Apr 05, 2010 2:38 pm

I think that the explanation for "seeing auras" might be a simple matter of seeing an afterimage. The lens of the eye casts an image on the retina. If one stares fixedly at any stationary object, the retina's visual pigments (rhodopsin and iodopsin) are temporarily depleted in a pattern corresponding to that of the image.

Stare at this image for about a minute, then look away at a white wall or piece of paper. You will see an afterimage, but with the hues inverted (such that the apple is seen in its proper colours).

APPLRV.JPG
APPLRV.JPG (7.63 KiB) Viewed 2973 times


"Seeing an aura" requires the psychic to stare at the subject person for some time. As the "psychic's" gaze drifts a little he/she sees a simple afterimage that is interpreted in his/her credulous mind as an "aura".
User avatar
Mike_L
Banned User
 
Posts: 14455
Male

Country: South Africa
Print view this post

Re: Auras

#15  Postby Mitts » Apr 09, 2010 9:14 pm

Auras?

Balderdash and tommyrot!

Love the Dara clip.

:thumbup:
All religions are based on the same ridiculous imagination, that make man a weak, imbecile animal; a furious bigot and fanatic or a miserable hypocrite. Robert Owen

I used to be catholic but I'm better now. Torchwood: Miracle Day
User avatar
Mitts
 
Name: Marcus Mittens
Posts: 1684
Age: 50
Male

Country: This side of the Styx
England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Auras

#16  Postby Sityl » Apr 09, 2010 9:27 pm

Mike_L wrote:I think that the explanation for "seeing auras" might be a simple matter of seeing an afterimage. The lens of the eye casts an image on the retina. If one stares fixedly at any stationary object, the retina's visual pigments (rhodopsin and iodopsin) are temporarily depleted in a pattern corresponding to that of the image.

Stare at this image for about a minute, then look away at a white wall or piece of paper. You will see an afterimage, but with the hues inverted (such that the apple is seen in its proper colours).

APPLRV.JPG


"Seeing an aura" requires the psychic to stare at the subject person for some time. As the "psychic's" gaze drifts a little he/she sees a simple afterimage that is interpreted in his/her credulous mind as an "aura".



HAHA! It worked! I saw a red apple with a green leaf!
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'


Image
User avatar
Sityl
 
Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Posts: 5131
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Auras

#17  Postby Mitts » Apr 09, 2010 9:44 pm

Me too!

Yay.

Auras are cool.

:naughty2:
All religions are based on the same ridiculous imagination, that make man a weak, imbecile animal; a furious bigot and fanatic or a miserable hypocrite. Robert Owen

I used to be catholic but I'm better now. Torchwood: Miracle Day
User avatar
Mitts
 
Name: Marcus Mittens
Posts: 1684
Age: 50
Male

Country: This side of the Styx
England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Auras

#18  Postby Alan C » Apr 09, 2010 10:41 pm

Mike_L wrote:I think that the explanation for "seeing auras" might be a simple matter of seeing an afterimage. The lens of the eye casts an image on the retina. If one stares fixedly at any stationary object, the retina's visual pigments (rhodopsin and iodopsin) are temporarily depleted in a pattern corresponding to that of the image.

Stare at this image for about a minute, then look away at a white wall or piece of paper. You will see an afterimage, but with the hues inverted (such that the apple is seen in its proper colours).

APPLRV.JPG


"Seeing an aura" requires the psychic to stare at the subject person for some time. As the "psychic's" gaze drifts a little he/she sees a simple afterimage that is interpreted in his/her credulous mind as an "aura".


I looked away after 30 seconds and saw a vague pink apple shape.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
User avatar
Alan C
 
Posts: 2695
Age: 45
Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Re: Auras

#19  Postby Mitts » Apr 10, 2010 5:51 pm

:crazy:
All religions are based on the same ridiculous imagination, that make man a weak, imbecile animal; a furious bigot and fanatic or a miserable hypocrite. Robert Owen

I used to be catholic but I'm better now. Torchwood: Miracle Day
User avatar
Mitts
 
Name: Marcus Mittens
Posts: 1684
Age: 50
Male

Country: This side of the Styx
England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Auras

#20  Postby iamthereforeithink » Apr 10, 2010 6:02 pm

:(

Am I the only one who's not psychic here? I keep seeing a green apple with a pink leaf while I'm staring at it, but see only a blank piece of paper when I look away.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
User avatar
iamthereforeithink
 
Posts: 3332
Age: 11
Male

Country: USA/ EU
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest