Auras

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Auras

#1  Postby Animavore » Apr 05, 2010 10:53 am

A friend of mine who's into kung-fu and chi asked me if science can explain auras and then when I had no answer proceeded to bash me with the "science can't explain everything" canard.

Does anyone know of any explanation for auras (I mean besides delusion)?

And for you amusement if you haven't seen it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIaV8swc-fo[/youtube]
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Auras

#2  Postby campermon » Apr 05, 2010 10:54 am

Auras are made up nonsense.
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Animavore » Apr 05, 2010 10:58 am

I said besides delusion Image

I was wondering if there is a visual effect happening here.

(although it probably is delusion Image)
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4  Postby campermon » Apr 05, 2010 11:00 am

According to wiki;

"Skeptics such as Robert Todd Carroll contend that auras may be seen for explainable reasons such as migraines, synesthesia,[5] epilepsy, a disorder within the visual system, a disorder within the brain, or due to the influence of psychedelic drugs such as LSD.[6][7] Eye fatigue can also produce an aura, sometimes referred to as eye burn."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aura_%28paranormal%29
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby heyjude » Apr 05, 2010 11:02 am

Some info at the skeptic's dictionary too....
I think therefore I am atheist
heyjude

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Mike_L » Apr 05, 2010 11:02 am

The only aura that's worthy of any attention....
Princess Aura (from the 1980 movie Flash Gordon) :grin:

Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby campermon » Apr 05, 2010 11:03 am

Mike_L wrote:The only aura that's worthy of any attention....
Princess Aura (from the 1980 movie Flash Gordon) :grin:

Well played sir!

:cheers:
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Animavore » Apr 05, 2010 11:17 am

Looks like I'll have to tell my friend to see a doctor.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#9  Postby campermon » Apr 05, 2010 11:21 am

Animavore wrote:Looks like I'll have to tell my friend to see a doctor.

Does your friend claim to see auras?
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Animavore » Apr 05, 2010 11:34 am

campermon wrote:

Yes. He also claims to have "chi" and he can sense when something is wrong with people (illness or injury).
He said to me "If scientists are so smart then how come they can't explain that? (both the aura and healing abilities)" and then accused me of being "close-minded" :lol:
I used to train with his kung-fu master myself but left because he was full of shit. I once said that I had a pain in my side and he waved his hands around my torso on both sides and said "You have an injury there (points to the upper right of my stomach)". I remember thinking What? There where I just told you I had a pain?
I got it checked and it was gallstones.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#11  Postby campermon » Apr 05, 2010 12:16 pm

Animavore wrote:
campermon wrote:

Yes. He also claims to have "chi" and he can sense when something is wrong with people (illness or injury).
He said to me "If scientists are so smart then how come they can't explain that? (both the aura and healing abilities)" and then accused me of being "close-minded" :lol:
I used to train with his kung-fu master myself but left because he was full of shit. I once said that I had a pain in my side and he waved his hands around my torso on both sides and said "You have an injury there (points to the upper right of my stomach)". I remember thinking What? There where I just told you I had a pain?

In that case, tell you friend to see a doctor!

:lol:

edit - I hear that there are some damned good Reiki practitioners that can cure this sort of problem... ;)
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Animavore » Apr 05, 2010 12:22 pm

campermon wrote:
Animavore wrote:
campermon wrote:

edit - I hear that there are some damned good Reiki practitioners that can cure this sort of problem... ;)

:groan: I daren't tell him that. He'd probably take it seriously and actually go.

Apparently he knows this healing guy who can "burn cancer out of you"

:lol: What? Without damaging the surrounding tissue?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13  Postby campermon » Apr 05, 2010 12:24 pm

Animavore wrote:
campermon wrote:
Animavore wrote:
campermon wrote:

:groan: I daren't tell him that. He'd probably take it seriously and actually go.

Apparently he knows this healing guy who can "burn cancer out of you"

:lol: What? Without damaging the surrounding tissue?

Tell him that such guys do exist - they're called 'radiotherapists' and they work in 'hospitals'!

campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Mike_L » Apr 05, 2010 2:38 pm

I think that the explanation for "seeing auras" might be a simple matter of seeing an afterimage. The lens of the eye casts an image on the retina. If one stares fixedly at any stationary object, the retina's visual pigments (rhodopsin and iodopsin) are temporarily depleted in a pattern corresponding to that of the image.

Stare at this image for about a minute, then look away at a white wall or piece of paper. You will see an afterimage, but with the hues inverted (such that the apple is seen in its proper colours).

APPLRV.JPG
APPLRV.JPG (7.63 KiB) Viewed 2973 times

"Seeing an aura" requires the psychic to stare at the subject person for some time. As the "psychic's" gaze drifts a little he/she sees a simple afterimage that is interpreted in his/her credulous mind as an "aura".
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby Mitts » Apr 09, 2010 9:14 pm

Auras?

Balderdash and tommyrot!

Love the Dara clip.

:thumbup:
All religions are based on the same ridiculous imagination, that make man a weak, imbecile animal; a furious bigot and fanatic or a miserable hypocrite. Robert Owen

I used to be catholic but I'm better now. Torchwood: Miracle Day
Mitts

Name: Marcus Mittens
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Sityl » Apr 09, 2010 9:27 pm

Mike_L wrote:I think that the explanation for "seeing auras" might be a simple matter of seeing an afterimage. The lens of the eye casts an image on the retina. If one stares fixedly at any stationary object, the retina's visual pigments (rhodopsin and iodopsin) are temporarily depleted in a pattern corresponding to that of the image.

Stare at this image for about a minute, then look away at a white wall or piece of paper. You will see an afterimage, but with the hues inverted (such that the apple is seen in its proper colours).

APPLRV.JPG

"Seeing an aura" requires the psychic to stare at the subject person for some time. As the "psychic's" gaze drifts a little he/she sees a simple afterimage that is interpreted in his/her credulous mind as an "aura".

HAHA! It worked! I saw a red apple with a green leaf!
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Mitts » Apr 09, 2010 9:44 pm

Me too!

Yay.

Auras are cool.

:naughty2:
All religions are based on the same ridiculous imagination, that make man a weak, imbecile animal; a furious bigot and fanatic or a miserable hypocrite. Robert Owen

Mitts

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Alan C » Apr 09, 2010 10:41 pm

Mike_L wrote:I think that the explanation for "seeing auras" might be a simple matter of seeing an afterimage. The lens of the eye casts an image on the retina. If one stares fixedly at any stationary object, the retina's visual pigments (rhodopsin and iodopsin) are temporarily depleted in a pattern corresponding to that of the image.

APPLRV.JPG

I looked away after 30 seconds and saw a vague pink apple shape.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Mitts » Apr 10, 2010 5:51 pm

:crazy:

Mitts

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#20  Postby iamthereforeithink » Apr 10, 2010 6:02 pm

:(

Am I the only one who's not psychic here? I keep seeing a green apple with a pink leaf while I'm staring at it, but see only a blank piece of paper when I look away.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
iamthereforeithink

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural