Blog on psychic detectives riles the believers

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Blog on psychic detectives riles the believers

#1  Postby RichardPrins » Mar 18, 2010 9:59 pm

Blog on psychic detectives riles the believers—especially those who don’t read carefully
Ben Radford wrote:

I recently wrote a blog for Discovery News titled, “MISSING PERSONS AND ABDUCTIONS REVEAL PSYCHICS' FAILURES

And as I expected, it riled up the psychic believers. One responded to my blog with the following post:
Actually yhe stement is icncorrect: "there is not a single documented case of a missing person being found or recovered due to psychic information." here one from a group I participate in form the police chief in charge: "Thank you for all your help with our missing person in the City of Perry, Kansas. Our victim Mr. Shawn Fowler was found about an eight of a mile from his home. He was found at approximately 1345 hours on March 19,2009. He was found floating in the Delaware River within 100 feet of one of the GPS readings your team provided. The river had been searched a couple of times by boat and scanner with no results the day prior to the body coming to the surface. Part of the information we concentrated on was the area around a submerged tree as predicted by one of your Team members. I have shared your Team efforts with Deputies, Firemen and Medical persons who assisted in the three month long search. Again THNK YOU ... THANKS TO THE TEAM !!!! The Family now has closure! Respectfully: Ramon C. Gonzalez, Jr. Police Chief"

My heart sank as I read this! Could it be that I was wrong about this? Was there really a case as recently as last year when a missing person was found or recovered due to psychic information? Had I overlooked an important exception that would require me to reconsider my position on the topic? I spent a few minutes searching the Web, and then posted the following reply:
Good try, but you really should read more carefully. Missing man Shawn Fowler was NOT found by a psychic at all, but instead by a random fisherman:

"Jefferson County Sheriff's officials said Fowler was found about 3:36 p.m. Thursday by a man fishing in the Delaware River in Perry."

http://cjonline.com/news/local/2009-03- ... d_in_perry
RichardPrins

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Blog on psychic detectives riles the believers

#2  Postby Weaver » Mar 18, 2010 10:07 pm

It seems that psychics' spelling ability is right on par with creationists'.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Mr P » Mar 18, 2010 10:08 pm

I'm tellin' ya, come the revolution...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the wind of a supernova flowing over me! I'm a machine and I can know much more!
Brother Cavil, BSG
Mr P

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Sityl » Mar 18, 2010 10:24 pm

Actually yhe stement is icncorrect:

:nono:
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby lordshipmayhem » Mar 18, 2010 11:17 pm

Weaver wrote:It seems that psychics' spelling ability is right on par with creationists'.

Probably caused by a remarkably similar level of intellect.
"It is not science that is arrogant: science can be defined as ‘humility before the facts’ — it is those who refuse to submit to testing and make unsubstantiated claims that are arrogant. Arrogant and unjust." - Stephen Fry
lordshipmayhem

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Seventh Child » Mar 18, 2010 11:54 pm

They predicted that they would make the spelling errors and thought it best not to toy with destiny.
Seventh Child

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#7  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 19, 2010 12:22 am

Each year in the UK, there's a TV programme called Test The Nation, which is an interactive IQ test on the red button or online. And every year, they have 6 groups of people of a particular category (usually a profession), and one year one of the groups was clairvoyants. Unsurprisingly, this group scored significantly below average, and were the lowest group they've ever had certainly on the ones I've watched. And we're talking about a group of 50-odd people here, so it's not just bad luck that they got a few thickos.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby tnjrp » Mar 19, 2010 7:21 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:Unsurprisingly, [clairvoyants] scored significantly below average, and were the lowest group they've ever had certainly on the ones I've watched
It's especially odd they scored so low, given that they should be able to "see" the right answers... :shifty:

But of course that would be cheating and only skeptics and atheists (and especially those who are both) can stoop so low as to suggest some clairvoyant or other psychic would use his/her power to cheat...

Anyhow, I suppose the results of that aren't online anywhere? It would be fun to do a bit of shit-stirring with it when a psychic powers proponent turns up on another skeptical forum.
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural