Can personal experience be evidence of the paranormal?

Split from 'Is Jesus mythicism "denialism"?'

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: Can personal experience be evidence of the paranormal?

#1481  Postby the_5th_ape » Jun 02, 2016 10:23 am

My patience expires in 1 week (9 June)
Thanking God for sparing you in a natural disaster is like
sending a thank-you note to a serial killer for stabbing the family next door

Question: If you could live forever, would you and why? Best Answer
the_5th_ape

Male

Print view this post

#1482  Postby Arnold Layne » Jun 02, 2016 11:05 am

Well, you are bit late to the party. We've already been waiting for weeks.

Perhaps I can get the evidence by remote viewing. Worth a try! :coffee:
I'm a Pixiist
Arnold Layne

France (fr)
Print view this post

#1483  Postby the_5th_ape » Jun 02, 2016 11:15 am

Arnold Layne wrote:Well, you are bit late to the party. We've already been waiting for weeks.

Ohh :nono:
Thanking God for sparing you in a natural disaster is like
sending a thank-you note to a serial killer for stabbing the family next door

Question: If you could live forever, would you and why? Best Answer
the_5th_ape

Male

Print view this post

#1484  Postby Shrunk » Jun 02, 2016 2:31 pm

As so often is the case with supernaturalists, the request for evidence has been met with a demand that the definition of "evidence" instead be changed so as to validate the supernaturalists' claims. :roll:
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1485  Postby kyrani99 » Jun 04, 2016 12:59 pm

Arnold Layne wrote:

Graham H had suggested I do a remote viewing of him some time back. I thought maybe it would be better to do many and thus see if there is any significant number of likenesses. With this in mind I tried to remote view some of the members here over the last two days.

You can find the file here: https://kyrani99.files.wordpress.com/20 ... 4-2016.png

It is in my blog library but not on any post.

I don't know how good my efforts are of two reasons.
1. the relationship is only what is on the forum and I don't know if that is enough and
2. there are people hassling me 24/7 so there is a lot of interference.

To overcome the problems above I tried to draw members in three goes (not all because those with photos turned out to be an interference as the photo came to mind).
I did drawing using:
1. the mouse and MS paint,
2. charcoal and
3. acrylic paint (brown or black on fawn or white background).

And I did each attempt at drawing a member with a particular media several hours apart so that I had forgotten what the previous attempt looked like.

Also they are quick sketches because one has to keep blank mind and not allow imagination to get in the way.

Is it possible to set up a poll?
maybe with
1. some likeness.
2. vague likeness
3. no likeness.

kyrani
For a patient to heal the shaman uses any device, which will alter the patient's belief about reality.
kyrani99
Banned Troll

Name: Kyrani Eade
Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#1486  Postby GrahamH » Jun 04, 2016 1:05 pm

:picard:
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#1487  Postby kyrani99 » Jun 04, 2016 1:17 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:
kyrani99 wrote:
The point I tried to make is that a fact can be absolutely true ie non falsifiable but there is only one and
that fact is : that subjective experience or conscious experience is the only reality one can KNOW exists

Despite this we can very accurately determine objective truth through rigorous application of both the scientific
method and mathematical logic. And although our own experiences are always going to be exclusively subjective
we fortunately have far more reliable means for understanding reality

How accurately can we determine objectively?
Sure the scientific method enables us to have some confidence in our results, most of the time. And mathematics can help us model what we find. However our subjective views often get in the way.

For example Einstein could not accept entanglement calling it "spooky action at a distance", he did not accept the randomness of events at the subatomic level saying "God does not play dice" and he felt very uneasy with any form of solipsism saying "I still believe that the moon is up there even when I am not looking". He didn't accept these things because of his belief in his subjective world view. :)

There are countless scientific papers studying various phenomena and among them a significant amount make erroneous judgements eg claiming causation when it is only correlation.

It is very dangerous to rest assured that we "determine objectively". I think it is important not to lose sight of the fact that our subjective experience can have a huge impact because if we don't take that into account then we are less able to be objective. I found that asking myself "what do I believe and how can it affect my judgement". When I am mindful of my beliefs, my world view, then I am more able to be objective.
For a patient to heal the shaman uses any device, which will alter the patient's belief about reality.
kyrani99
Banned Troll

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#1488  Postby kyrani99 » Jun 04, 2016 1:18 pm

GrahamH wrote::picard:

I bet you did not even look.
kyrani99
Banned Troll

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#1489  Postby Scar » Jun 04, 2016 1:50 pm

kyrani99 wrote:
Arnold Layne wrote:

Graham H had suggested I do a remote viewing of him some time back. I thought maybe it would be better to do many and thus see if there is any significant number of likenesses. With this in mind I tried to remote view some of the members here over the last two days.

You can find the file here: https://kyrani99.files.wordpress.com/20 ... 4-2016.png

It is in my blog library but not on any post.

I don't know how good my efforts are of two reasons.
1. the relationship is only what is on the forum and I don't know if that is enough and
2. there are people hassling me 24/7 so there is a lot of interference.

To overcome the problems above I tried to draw members in three goes (not all because those with photos turned out to be an interference as the photo came to mind).
I did drawing using:
1. the mouse and MS paint,
2. charcoal and
3. acrylic paint (brown or black on fawn or white background).

And I did each attempt at drawing a member with a particular media several hours apart so that I had forgotten what the previous attempt looked like.

Also they are quick sketches because one has to keep blank mind and not allow imagination to get in the way.

Is it possible to set up a poll?
maybe with
1. some likeness.
2. vague likeness
3. no likeness.

kyrani

Fuck it guys. If this isn't a troll I don't know who is. It also looks nothing like me.Image
Edit: I'm at a festival hence the beer ;)
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#1490  Postby GrahamH » Jun 04, 2016 1:52 pm

I looked. I laughed. I Face palmed.

The sketches don't even match the paintings.
It's classic cold reading with images. Throw up a lot of vaguaries to an audience in the jope that one or two will pick up on something and you can claim a hit.

I'm getting a 'P', Peter, Paul, Patrick, something like that. Does that mean anything to anyone? Maybe a relative of a colleague? It could be Pauline or Patricia...
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#1491  Postby GrahamH » Jun 04, 2016 1:55 pm

Scar wrote:
Fuck it guys. If this isn't a troll I don't know who is. It also looks nothing like me.Image

:beer:
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#1492  Postby BlackBart » Jun 04, 2016 1:58 pm

Nice to see I've shaved my beard off...and found a cure for baldness... ...and miraculously grown my left eye back. :coffee:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1493  Postby kyrani99 » Jun 04, 2016 2:53 pm

Sendraks wrote:Big pharma want you to get cancer, because that way they make more money from their expensive treatments. So they employ people to "do evil" to ensure people get cancer.

Shame they are not terribly good at it.

While there are toxic doctors (http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/809243), the idea that big pharma employ people to do evil to ensure people get cancer is erroneous.

HOWEVER toxic people do have "medical cover" in that the medical industry denies all the means that are employed and ensures that research is either never done or never done properly to expose the foul game play. And those doctors who are prepared to expose anything they see that is amiss are branded as bad doctors.

Doctors are not in control of their profession. They are dictated to by big pharma, not only in having to follow guidelines that prevent them from treating patients in ways that add to the overall treatment but they are criminally prosecuted if they make patients well by other than the prescribed methods.

Nocebo effects are not researched and placebo effects are researched in the most trivial manner and in a way that tries to degrade what placebo is all about. For instance the doctor patient relationship is being researched as placebo. The doctor patient relationship is very important to help give the patient moral support but it is not a placebo.

Furthermore it is a fool that insists on closing their eyes to their own bodies healing ability and not wanting to discover the means that empower them, preferring instead the mythical magic bullet that will cure them and for a hefty price.

And the idea of open placebos or placebo without deception (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21203519), is claimed to make people get well from some conditions. They neglect to say that a doctor, who is an authority figure, makes a strong suggestion to the patient that if they take the sugar pills they give them they will get well. A suggestion by an authority does have an effect and yet they go instead to saying that it is the sugar pills taken as placebos as "open label placebo" makes the patient well, which is rubbish.

Doctors are not taking into account the face that is screaming at them in every drug trial and that is that a patient's belief can have either a positive or negative effect. This is the nuts and bolts of disease, side effects and healing and it is being thrown in the trash in preference for keeping people ignorant to sell drugs and naje profits. That sort of behavior of both doctors and medical researchers is culpable.
kyrani99
Banned Troll

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#1494  Postby kyrani99 » Jun 04, 2016 2:55 pm

GrahamH wrote:
Scar wrote:

:beer:

thanks for your feedback
kyrani99
Banned Troll

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#1495  Postby kyrani99 » Jun 04, 2016 3:00 pm

BlackBart wrote:Nice to see I've shaved my beard off...and found a cure for baldness... ...and miraculously grown my left eye back. :coffee:

Thank you for your feedback.
I wasn't optimistic but I thought I would try. There is a very weak relationship with others on forums and there are a lot of people hassling me so it is likely I pick up on them instead.
kyrani99
Banned Troll

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#1496  Postby kyrani99 » Jun 04, 2016 3:05 pm

GrahamH wrote:I looked. I laughed. I Face palmed.

The sketches don't even match the paintings.
It's classic cold reading with images. Throw up a lot of vaguaries to an audience in the jope that one or two will pick up on something and you can claim a hit.

I'm getting a 'P', Peter, Paul, Patrick, something like that. Does that mean anything to anyone? Maybe a relative of a colleague? It could be Pauline or Patricia...

Remote viewing has nothing to do with cold reading. And I am not interested in some vague similarities to imagine any "hits". Also I stated that I had disadvantages here mainly because there is no real relationships and because others are prominent. I just thought though that it might be worth a try.
kyrani99
Banned Troll

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#1497  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 04, 2016 3:14 pm

BlackBart wrote:Nice to see I've shaved my beard off...and found a cure for baldness... ...and miraculously grown my left eye back. :coffee:

Hey, looks like I also grew my hair back and shaved my facial hair, though I haven't done so in well over a decade. And I'm not wearing my glasses for some reason. Other features are sufficiently nondescript that they could apply to anyone or no-one. I do like the idea that my avatar of Orson Welles could be me, though.
kyrani99 wrote:
I wasn't optimistic but I thought I would try. There is a very weak relationship with others on forums and there are a lot of people hassling me so it is likely I pick up on them instead.

Or, the most likely scenario, you just drew a bunch of things from your imagination that have nothing to do with reality at all. But hey, you couldn't consider that to be a possibility, could you?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1498  Postby kyrani99 » Jun 04, 2016 3:24 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:

Hey, looks like I also grew my hair back and shaved my facial hair, though I haven't done so in well over a decade. And I'm not wearing my glasses for some reason. Other features are sufficiently nondescript that they could apply to anyone or no-one. I do like the idea that my avatar of Orson Welles could be me, though.

Thank you for your feedback. Sure an image is distracting and can influence the viewer.

kyrani99 wrote:

SafeAsMilk wrote:Or, the most likely scenario, you just drew a bunch of things from your imagination that have nothing to do with reality at all. But hey, you couldn't consider that to be a possibility, could you?

sarcasm. I said that I had to work quickly so that imagination is not engaged. Where there is an image, it causes distraction.
kyrani99
Banned Troll

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#1499  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 04, 2016 3:30 pm

Well I'm telling you: it didn't work at all. All you've managed to do so far is convince everyone that not only do you not have super powers, but you can't even tell that it's really obvious that you don't have super powers.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1500  Postby felltoearth » Jun 04, 2016 3:48 pm

Not remotely close.

See what i did there :)
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural