Can personal experience be evidence of the paranormal?

Split from 'Is Jesus mythicism "denialism"?'

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Can personal experience be evidence of the paranormal?

#1941  Postby Agrippina » Jun 27, 2016 11:45 am

:lol:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#1942  Postby Wortfish » Oct 05, 2018 4:29 pm

Many personal experiences of the paranormal are dismissed by scientists as "hallucinations". But, how can scientists objectively dismiss a subjective experience as an "hallucination" when they don't have access to what was actually witnessed. I recently saw a ghostly shadow of my recently deceased cat. Was my mind, in a state of grief, conjuring up the image or did the spirit of my late cat make an appearance? How can you determine if I experienced a neruological hallucination or a spiritual experience?
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1943  Postby Sendraks » Oct 05, 2018 4:33 pm

Wortfish wrote: Was my mind, in a state of grief, conjuring up the image or did the spirit of my late cat make an appearance? How can you determine if I experienced a neruological hallucination or a spiritual experience?

In the absence of evidence to support the latter, the default would be the assumption given that does have an evidential basis.
This is not hard.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#1944  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 05, 2018 4:38 pm

Not another bloody thread FFS.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1945  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 05, 2018 4:52 pm

Wortfish wrote:Many personal experiences of the paranormal are dismissed by scientists as "hallucinations". But, how can scientists objectively dismiss a subjective experience as an "hallucination" when they don't have access to what was actually witnessed. I recently saw a ghostly shadow of my recently deceased cat. Was my mind, in a state of grief, conjuring up the image or did the spirit of my late cat make an appearance? How can you determine if I experienced a neruological hallucination or a spiritual experience?

The scientific method eludes you, doesn’t it?

Set up an experiment. Repeat the result you think you experienced.

Start with demonstrating the existence of cat spirits. We can get to your perception later. Cat spirits.

Show us one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1946  Postby BlackBart » Oct 05, 2018 4:54 pm

Meeeooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow!!!
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1947  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 05, 2018 5:09 pm

Wortfish wrote:Many personal experiences of the paranormal are dismissed by scientists as "hallucinations". But, how can scientists objectively dismiss a subjective experience as an "hallucination" when they don't have access to what was actually witnessed. I recently saw a ghostly shadow of my recently deceased cat. Was my mind, in a state of grief, conjuring up the image or did the spirit of my late cat make an appearance? How can you determine if I experienced a neruological hallucination or a spiritual experience?

This morning one of my breakfast eggs suddenly grew a mouth and told me that the lizard illuminati are trying to take over the world. How can you dismiss this subjective experience as a hallucination? You don't have access to what I witnessed!
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#1948  Postby Wortfish » Oct 05, 2018 5:10 pm

The_Metatron wrote:

Start with demonstrating the existence of cat spirits. We can get to your perception later. Cat spirits.

Show us one.

That's the whole problem. These experiences are usually one-offs...if they were regular and normal then they wouldn't be paranormal, now would they? However, many others experience this sort of thing so it cannot be just me.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1949  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 05, 2018 5:13 pm

Wortfish wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:

Show us one.

That's the whole problem. These experiences are usually one-offs...if they were regular and normal then they wouldn't be paranormal, now would they? However, many others experience this sort of thing so it cannot be just me.

Then, shut up.

You have nothing.

Cat spirit. Show us one. You want us to believe your shit, show us that cat spirit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1950  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 05, 2018 5:16 pm

Wortfish wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:

Show us one.

So basically what you're saying is that the problem is that these experiences are completely indistinguishable from incredibly common and explicable tricks of the eye and mind.
Last edited by SafeAsMilk on Oct 05, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1951  Postby newolder » Oct 05, 2018 5:17 pm

If anyone is seeing the shadow of their recently deceased cat, I advise them to bury the cat.
Geometric forgetting gives me loops. - Nima A-H
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#1952  Postby laklak » Oct 05, 2018 5:28 pm

If it bleeds, we can kill it. Arnie, in Predator.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#1953  Postby Thommo » Oct 05, 2018 5:30 pm

Sometimes, at night, if I leave clothes on the chair in my room, I look across and see a person.

The person is always gone when I turn the light on.

Either my brain pattern matches to resolve what I'm seeing in terms of the familiar or I am chronically haunted.
Thommo

Print view this post

#1954  Postby Wortfish » Oct 05, 2018 5:32 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Wortfish wrote: Was my mind, in a state of grief, conjuring up the image or did the spirit of my late cat make an appearance? How can you determine if I experienced a neruological hallucination or a spiritual experience?

In the absence of evidence to support the latter, the default would be the assumption given that does have an evidential basis.
This is not hard.

But then what is the basis for the "hallucination"? Why and how did my mind conjure it up? I'd like to know because I fail to see how it is possible given that I was fully awake, not under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and have no prior experience of seeing ghosts or even believing in their existence. Reason tells me that I must have experienced something paranormal.

I should also point out that I felt something pressing on my body as I was about to go to bed, as my cat used to do, such that I couldn't move. However, I might have been tired at the time and I could have experienced some sort of emotion-induced paralysis. But seeing a grey shadow of my cat rubbing against my leg leaves me with little doubt that my cat's spirit is trying to console me. Of course, if I am right, of course, then there is an afterlife and spirit world and so atheism is probably false.
Last edited by Wortfish on Oct 05, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1955  Postby Wortfish » Oct 05, 2018 5:33 pm

Thommo wrote:Sometimes, at night, if I leave clothes on the chair in my room, I look across and see a person.

Either my brain pattern matches to resolve what I'm seeing in terms of the familiar or I am chronically haunted.

I was taking a piss in the bathroom when this happened with the lights full on. I was annoyed at first that my cat would come and comfort at such an awkward moment.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#1956  Postby Sendraks » Oct 05, 2018 5:35 pm

Wortfish wrote:[I'd like to know because I fail to see how it is possible given that I was fully awake, not under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and have no prior experience of seeing ghosts or even believing in their existence. Reason tells me that I must have experienced something paranormal.

Drawing "reason" from an appeal to incredulity.
You're only drawing the conclusions you want to draw. Just confirming your own biases.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#1957  Postby Wortfish » Oct 05, 2018 5:36 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Wortfish wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:

Show us one.

So basically what you're saying is that the problem is that these experiences are completely indistinguishable from incredibly common and explicable tricks of the eye and mind.

Because they don't happen all the time for the same person, they cannot be investigated by science. However, I will happily submit myself to a psychiatrist to see if it is possible that I could be hallucinating.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1958  Postby Wortfish » Oct 05, 2018 5:38 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Wortfish wrote:[I'd like to know because I fail to see how it is possible given that I was fully awake, not under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and have no prior experience of seeing ghosts or even believing in their existence. Reason tells me that I must have experienced something paranormal.

Drawing "reason" from an appeal to incredulity.
You're only drawing the conclusions you want to draw. Just confirming your own biases.

As stated, I never believed in ghostly visitations. I was not asking my late cat to appear before me. I have never experienced an hallucination before except in a dreamy state where I was not fully conscious. But, at the time, I was just taking a leak.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1959  Postby newolder » Oct 05, 2018 5:39 pm

Wortfish wrote:...
I was taking a the piss in the a bath chatroom when this happened

FIFY
Geometric forgetting gives me loops. - Nima A-H
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#1960  Postby Wortfish » Oct 05, 2018 5:39 pm

Thommo wrote:Sometimes, at night, if I leave clothes on the chair in my room, I look across and see a person.

There is a difference between the mind playing tricks based on the lack of light within the room, and the confusion this may cause, and a full frontal apparition as I experienced.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural