Can personal experience be evidence of the paranormal?

Split from 'Is Jesus mythicism "denialism"?'

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Can personal experience be evidence of the paranormal?

#1961  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 05, 2018 5:46 pm

Wortfish wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Wortfish wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:
The scientific method eludes you, doesn’t it?

Set up an experiment. Repeat the result you think you experienced.

Start with demonstrating the existence of cat spirits. We can get to your perception later. Cat spirits.

Show us one.

That's the whole problem. These experiences are usually one-offs...if they were regular and normal then they wouldn't be paranormal, now would they? However, many others experience this sort of thing so it cannot be just me.

So basically what you're saying is that the problem is that these experiences are completely indistinguishable from incredibly common and explicable tricks of the eye and mind.

Because they don't happen all the time for the same person, they cannot be investigated by science.

They do happen all the time for the same person. I'm willing to bet that wasn't the only trick of the eye you experienced that day.

However, I will happily submit myself to a psychiatrist to see if it is possible that I could be hallucinating.

Let me save you the trouble of going to a psychiatrist: people see things that aren't there all the time. It's not unusual, it's not special. If you want anyone to think you've had a special experience, and more importantly if you want to prove to yourself you've had a special experience, you'll need something more than your personal credulity.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#1962  Postby Sendraks » Oct 05, 2018 5:47 pm

Wortfish wrote:As stated, I never believed in ghostly visitations. I was not asking my late cat to appear before me. I have never experienced an hallucination before except in a dreamy state where I was not fully conscious. But, at the time, I was just taking a leak.

Uh huh but, your posting history here show's you to have a pre-disposition to entertaining supernatural fuckwittery so your "never believing ghostly visitations" really doesn't amount to much.

What does matter is your default position is one of appealing to incredulity by not believing that your brain could trick you in that way, so instead immediately latching onto the paranormal option. That's not employing reason. That's skipping reason entirely.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#1963  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 05, 2018 5:52 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Thommo wrote:Sometimes, at night, if I leave clothes on the chair in my room, I look across and see a person.

The person is always gone when I turn the light on.

Either my brain pattern matches to resolve what I'm seeing in terms of the familiar or I am chronically haunted.

There is a difference between the mind playing tricks based on the lack of light within the room, and the confusion this may cause, and a full frontal apparition as I experienced.

So we've gone from a shadow to a full frontal apparition now? Looks like someone's reaching for their foregone conclusion.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1964  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 05, 2018 5:53 pm

FFS Please mods put this crap into one thread or give us the possibility to remove threads.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)

Birthday
Print view this post

#1965  Postby scott1328 » Oct 05, 2018 5:57 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Thommo wrote:Sometimes, at night, if I leave clothes on the chair in my room, I look across and see a person.

Either my brain pattern matches to resolve what I'm seeing in terms of the familiar or I am chronically haunted.

There is a difference between the mind playing tricks based on the lack of light within the room, and the confusion this may cause, and a full frontal apparition as I experienced.

In what principaled, non-special pleading way can a disinterested party examine various reports and conclude some are mind-tricks and some are "true" apparitions?
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1966  Postby Thommo » Oct 05, 2018 6:06 pm

Wortfish wrote:

Wortfish wrote:

I was taking a piss in the bathroom when this happened with the lights full on. I was annoyed at first that my cat would come and comfort at such an awkward moment.

Two replies to one post? The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

But if I was to assume that you weren't lying, or bending the truth, or overstating your case, then I'd say that they are actually not dissimilar. I often think I see my cat in my peripheral vision (which is black and white and much lower resolution because of the structure of the human eye) and then turn to see it, only to find it isn't there, or there's some vaguely cat shaped object instead. When my last cat died I was very sad, and emotionally cued to look for it I frequently thought I saw it, only to find it wasn't there on closer inspection.

It would be possible for someone to then make this into a larger, stronger image upon recollection, by memory rehearsal and desire to believe, in the heightened emotional state that follows loss.
Last edited by Thommo on Oct 05, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thommo

Print view this post

#1967  Postby Sendraks » Oct 05, 2018 6:06 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:FFS Please mods put this crap into one thread or give us the possibility to remove threads.

As nonsensical as Wortfishes contributions are, they are on topic for this discussion.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#1968  Postby Thommo » Oct 05, 2018 6:23 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:So we've gone from a shadow to a full frontal apparition now? Looks like someone's reaching for their foregone conclusion.

Just so. Memories change in the rehearsal and the retelling, at the best of times. There are a lot of well documented and verifiable effects of this nature.
Thommo

Print view this post

#1969  Postby laklak » Oct 05, 2018 7:00 pm

Then there's psychosis.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#1970  Postby Wortfish » Oct 05, 2018 7:17 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
So we've gone from a shadow to a full frontal apparition now? Looks like someone's reaching for their foregone conclusion.

It wasn't a "shadow" in the sense of a silhoutte. It is easy to be fooled by that kind of phenomenon. It was a shadow in the sense of an "shadow figure" or ghost. It was grey - I distinctly remember that - and it lasted about 2 seconds.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1971  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 05, 2018 7:45 pm

Why have you not shown us how to detect a cat spirit?

Apply some rigour to the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1972  Postby Wortfish » Oct 05, 2018 9:23 pm

The_Metatron wrote:Why have you not shown us how to detect a cat spirit?

This thread is about evidence based on personal experiences, not scientific observation.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1973  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 05, 2018 10:12 pm

Wortfish wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:Why have you not shown us how to detect a cat spirit?

This thread is about evidence based on personal experiences, not scientific observation.

Experiencing what? You have to define your terms.

I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1974  Postby Thommo » Oct 05, 2018 10:32 pm

Wortfish wrote:It was grey - I distinctly remember that - and it lasted about 2 seconds.

Grey - peripheral vision where you can't see colour. Two seconds - your eyes move to see something in your periphery and trigger chronostasis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronostasis

These are exactly the kinds of facts that fit, consistent, testable, known optical illusions.

How exactly they are supposed to fit ghost cats (don't think cats have souls, or at least souls that wander Earth, in Christian theology) as a better theory I can't even begin to fathom.
Thommo

Print view this post

#1975  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 05, 2018 11:15 pm

Wortfish wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:

It wasn't a "shadow" in the sense of a silhoutte. It is easy to be fooled by that kind of phenomenon. It was a shadow in the sense of an "shadow figure" or ghost. It was grey - I distinctly remember that - and it lasted about 2 seconds.

And what's your rigorous methodology to distinguish between a "shadow figure" or "ghost" (putting aside how you determine that they exist in the first place) and just a regular ol' shadow?

Wortfish wrote:

Even in the sense of personal experience, "I claim to have seen a ghost" is about the poorest excuse for evidence one could have.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#1976  Postby The_Piper » Oct 06, 2018 4:41 am

Image :shifty:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1977  Postby TopCat » Oct 06, 2018 1:35 pm

Much as my eyeball muscles ache from all the rolling whenever I read anything from Wortfish, I had a very similar experience when my dog died, several times over several days with decreasing frequency and intensity until it subsided completely.

I hasten to add that in no way do I think it was supernatural in any way, but it was interesting to note.

I'd had the dog for only two years, and he and I had formed a very close bond. When he died after a short illness, it was terrible. I had never known grief like it, or even known that grief could be that bad.

It definitely fucked with my mind. I 'saw' him frequently for a few days after he died, during normal daylight and not under the influence of any substances.

Obviously when I looked again he wasn't there. It was quite a surprise, but even after the first time, I realised what was going on, and sure enough the effect wore off as the intensity of the grief subsided.

The difference between myself and Wortfish in this respect is that I would require much better evidence that my dog somehow lived on, than a few brief hallucinations that had a perfectly simple explanation.
Last edited by TopCat on Oct 06, 2018 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1978  Postby Fallible » Oct 06, 2018 1:37 pm

:(
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1979  Postby TopCat » Oct 06, 2018 1:40 pm

Fallible wrote::(

??
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1980  Postby Fallible » Oct 06, 2018 2:20 pm

Sorry, it's sad what happened to your dog.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural