Chile: UFOs, Lights From The Ocean Before The Earthquake

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Chile: UFOs, Lights From The Ocean Before The Earthquake

#1  Postby DoctorE » Mar 22, 2010 7:44 pm

The humanoids probably did it...

The earthquake was followed by a boom in UFO sightings, but sixteen cases occurred on the night of the tragedy alone (some of them accompanied by significant visual material) which have been subjected to study by UFO researchers.

Researcher Rodrigo Fuenzalida told Publimetro that the highest concentrations of reports appear to be Las Condes, Peñalolén, Providencia and Colina. "We have eyewitness testimony from a couple that refused to sleep in their apartment on the night of the earthquake, choosing instead to spend the early morning hours in the street. They were able to see an object that looked much like the moon, but immediately realized that the moon was on the other side. This event may have been seen by residents of other communes," said Fuenzalida.

Another major sighting took place on Isla Robinson Crusoe, part of the Juan Fernandez Archipelago, where people witnessed an object emerging from the sea shortly before the earthquake.

Regarding the case involving a humanoid — reported by passengers on a bus in Iquique — Fuenzalida notes that while startling, he is aware of other similar cases, but people "do not dare report them, fearing that they will not be believed.

"I've heard of the manifestations of these "luminous men," said the ufologist. "We are in an ideal period for sightings. I would ask everyone to be alert, but be mindful to avoid confusion, or a state of hysteria."

More: http://io9.com/5498748/people-in-chile- ... earthquake
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Chile: UFOs, Lights From The Ocean Before The Earthquake

#2  Postby -Sylvan-Shadow- » Mar 31, 2010 9:50 am

Wow, creepy in a sense.
---------------------

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
- Gandalf The Grey
-Sylvan-Shadow-

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby aspire1670 » Mar 31, 2010 10:36 am

-Sylvan-Shadow- wrote:Wow, creepy in a sense.

We-are-watching-you.

psikeyhackr wrote: Physics is not rhetorical pseudo-logic crap.

I removed this signature at the request of another member.
aspire1670

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby jerome » Mar 31, 2010 12:44 pm

Earthlights have long been reported before earthquakes - see Devereaux and others for Tectonic Strain Theory, or an epiusode of the old UK tv show Ghosthunters I did on this and related issues. I'll cheerfully explain if anyone is interested..

j x
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
jerome

Name: CJ
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby babel » Mar 31, 2010 12:46 pm

jerome wrote:Earthlights have long been reported before earthquakes - see Devereaux and others for Tectonic Strain Theory, or an epiusode of the old UK tv show Ghosthunters I did on this and related issues. I'll cheerfully explain if anyone is interested..

j x
I'd be willing to read more about this. I can't ask you to write a long essay about this, but a link for starters would be great.
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#6  Postby jerome » Mar 31, 2010 1:37 pm

Hey Babel --

Well wiki will give you the basics here quite accurately - Earthlights first --
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthquake_lights

I'm a critic of Persinger's TST, but agree he led the way --
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Pe ... ain_Theory

Perfectly natural, but my ideas revolved around how hallucinations might be triggered by exposure to the forces generated. I was influenced by GW Lambert's 1953 work on underground water in purported poltergeist cases, and later Tony Cornell's experiments with vibrations, which led me to look for environmental explanations for "anomalous phenomena". This was big in parapsychology in the 90's actually. (one of the odd myths is that parapsychologists are somehow "paranormal believers" - I'd say a minority are actually, but not sure!)

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby babel » Mar 31, 2010 1:42 pm

Well, thanks for the links. I'm off reading. :)
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Madmaili » Mar 31, 2010 1:45 pm

Dangerous Adreniline filled situation produces mania in some people, who'se suprised?
If life is meaningless , why the fuck are you still around?
Madmaili

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby babel » Mar 31, 2010 1:48 pm

Madmaili wrote:Dangerous Adreniline filled situation produces mania in some people, who'se suprised?
true, but it can't be the cause for the filmed earthquake lights, can it? :think:
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#10  Postby jerome » Mar 31, 2010 1:51 pm

I agree with Babel, does not explain the photos, or the other physical measurements: the lights are real enough -- http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 556127.ece
and http://geology.about.com/od/earthquakes/a/EQlights.htm
It's why I dropped the hallucination theory in the late 90's...
j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby babel » Mar 31, 2010 1:58 pm

jerome, I've went through your two links in a hurry. If you take the TST, I consider it the inverse of lightning. The electromagnetic tension doesn't build in the clouds, but in the soil. And maybe, the discharge isn't happening because the sky is a poor conductor compared to the surrounding rock formations?
It occurred to me when I read about the booms on the USGS-site. Just a thought from a newb.
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#12  Postby jerome » Mar 31, 2010 2:09 pm

Well my geology is pretty poor babel - I work on anomalous experiences, trying to find naturalistic explanations, but yep. I worked on Piezoelectricity - as in compression of quartz crystals generating electrical discharges under pressure, exactly as you suggest. Today Triboluminescence is suggested - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triboluminescence as a more likely mechanism - but this is all really frontier science, and while i can cheerfully dig out a lot of papers and email you them if you are interested, I lack the necessary technical expertise to comment sensibly (well I did appear in a Discovery Science documentary on it, so that proves my point about not really knowing much, lol!!). Maybe I will do something on one of the papers for the Science Writing Contest before the deadline if i have time... :)

Thing is that this stuff get ignored as woo because people interpret the experience as UFO's or whatever - but in fact it raises fascinating scientific questions about a very interesting phenomena. :) Anyway I think it;s actually more interesting than the uFO's :)

j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby babel » Mar 31, 2010 2:20 pm

That's ok, I lack the technical expertise to understand anything more detailed in the scientific field. I'm an accountant, with interest in the world around but no education beyond highschool level in the field of physics.
Now off to read your new link.
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#14  Postby jerome » Mar 31, 2010 2:26 pm

If you are an accountant you understand maths, and physics is really just maths ultimately. Don't put yourself down mate, there are absolutely no experts in these fields - it's all brand new stuff. If you have any thoughts on the phenomena I'll be very interested ot hear them, and to be honest they are probably as good as any ones - We are in a similar state to much research on plasma and ball lightning, or dare i say "poltergeists", whatever they are - funny things happen, we have a few interesting theories, but no one knows yet. The thing is we WILL find out. :) Science is awesome!

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Madmaili » Mar 31, 2010 3:46 pm

babel wrote:
Madmaili wrote:Dangerous Adreniline filled situation produces mania in some people, who'se suprised?
true, but it can't be the cause for the filmed earthquake lights, can it? :think:

Two words Micheal Shermer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7Tu-28hyow
Madmaili

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby jerome » Mar 31, 2010 4:26 pm

You think the US Geological Survey fakes photographs of earthlights??? :) This must be a huge conspiracy of seismologists? Yeah I know Michael Shermer - but this is nothing to do with UFO's really...

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Madmaili » Mar 31, 2010 4:32 pm

jerome wrote:You think the US Geological Survey fakes photographs of earthlights??? :) This must be a huge conspiracy of seismologists? Yeah I know Michael Shermer - but this is nothing to do with UFO's really...

I read your wiki link let me walk that accusation back , but nevertheless lights appear to be (just from that reading) to be a natural phenmenon.
Madmaili

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18  Postby jerome » Mar 31, 2010 4:40 pm

Yeah exactly. I'm pretty certain they are just that: I work on trying to understand that phenomenon (and many similar oddities). Yep, no UFO's here, I think we are in agreement. :)

j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Madmaili » Mar 31, 2010 4:42 pm

jerome wrote:Yeah exactly. I'm pretty certain they are just that: I work on trying to understand that phenomenon (and many similar oddities). Yep, no UFO's here, I think we are in agreement. :)

j x

Well thank you for saving me from sounding like a young earth creationist.
Madmaili

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20  Postby -Sylvan-Shadow- » Mar 31, 2010 9:02 pm

They planted a bomb like device, they are testing us....
They like to anal probe us to find out if we're made of sh*t...
It's all apart of their plan, they are...

KANG AND KODOS!
---------------------

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
- Gandalf The Grey
-Sylvan-Shadow-

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural