Chopra Blames Own Meditation for Baja Quake

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Chopra Blames Own Meditation for Baja Quake

#1  Postby DoctorE » Apr 07, 2010 10:42 am

What a.....

(April 5) -- The U.S. Geological Survey is blaming day-to-day seismological changes for Sunday's 7.2 earthquake along the U.S.-Mexico border. But Deepak Chopra, the famed alternative-medicine practitioner and transcendental meditation guru, is pretty sure he knows what really happened.

"Had a powerful meditation just now -- caused an earthquake in Southern California," Chopra wrote to his nearly 179,000 Twitter followers shortly after the quake.

And then, to clarify: "Was meditating on Shiva mantra & earth began to shake," he tweeted. "Sorry about that."
Chopra might want to apologize directly to those in California, who haven't suffered significant infrastructure damage but are still bracing for more temblors, and to those in Mexico, where two are dead, hundreds are injured and thousands are still without power.

Transcendental meditation (TM) was largely popularized by Chopra, who's been dubbed "McMeditation" for the multimillion-dollar profits he's earned off books, DVDs and his Chopra Center for Wellbeing in Carlsbad, Calif. -- where a six-day mind-body wellness program runs around $2,500

Continues: http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/c ... e/19426755
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Re: Chopra Blames Own Meditation for Baja Quake

#2  Postby tnjrp » Apr 07, 2010 11:04 am

Sorry, but I'm getting the vibe that Mr. Chopra's lost a handful of marbles. Again.
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#3  Postby kiki5711 » Apr 07, 2010 11:05 am

Oh wow.! He can move mountains and part the Red sea? Now that's power!

How about meditating on Peace in the world or hasn't he thought about that?
kiki5711

Print view this post

#4  Postby tnjrp » Apr 07, 2010 11:09 am

Oh but I'm sure he is! Just think of how much worse things could be, after all... :levi:
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Animavore » Apr 07, 2010 11:11 am

I wish I had the capacity to bullshit people and make money.

Curse honestly. It's fucking over-rated.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Jehannum » Apr 07, 2010 11:12 am

tnjrp wrote:Sorry, but I'm getting the vibe that Mr. Chopra's lost a handful of marbles. Again.

There can't be that many left to lose.
Extraordinary claims require ordinary evidence.
Jehannum

Name: Peter
Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby pcCoder » Apr 07, 2010 11:47 am

Should this be taken as a confession to causing an event that resulted in the death of some people? Should he have charges of murder or manslaughter brought against him?
pcCoder

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Varangian » Apr 08, 2010 12:06 am

pcCoder wrote:Should this be taken as a confession to causing an event that resulted in the death of some people? Should he have charges of murder or manslaughter brought against him?

It could be taken as evidence that he is at fault, causing earthquakes like that.

Yeah, yeah, I know that was a weak pun...

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#9  Postby josephchoi » Apr 08, 2010 12:10 am

tnjrp wrote:Sorry, but I'm getting the vibe that Mr. Chopra's lost a handful of marbles. Again.

You can't lose what you don't have.
Donuts don't wear alligator shoes!
josephchoi

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby grandtheftigloo » Apr 08, 2010 12:11 am

Then I guess he will personally (out of his vast fortune) reimburse the people for all of the damage?

:roll:
grandtheftigloo

Name: Kath

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#11  Postby virphen » Apr 08, 2010 1:13 am

Talk about "The Ego has Landed".
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby grandtheftigloo » Apr 08, 2010 1:20 am

virphen wrote:Talk about "The Ego has Landed".

We have a winner!! :drunk:
grandtheftigloo

Name: Kath

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Thommo » Apr 08, 2010 1:30 am

I'd laugh my arse off if somebody sued him now.

And good one Virphen! :lol:
Thommo

Print view this post

#14  Postby r.c » Apr 08, 2010 2:27 am

I wonder whether he really believes what he says or just tries to exploit the gullible. I strongly suspect the latter.
" By virtue of being old, nothing necessarily is good; nor is anything unacceptable by virtue of being new; The wise accept only after examining, while the fools go by others' understanding."
r.c

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby iamthereforeithink » Apr 08, 2010 2:32 am

:doh: This is beyond insane. And to think that at one time, I actually paid money to buy a couple of his books.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
iamthereforeithink

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#16  Postby xrayzed » Apr 08, 2010 2:41 am

I think he has reached a new level on the Loopy scale.
A thinking creationist is an oxymoron. A non-thinking creationist is just a moron.
(Source: johannessiig, here)
xrayzed

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Calilasseia » Apr 08, 2010 3:06 am

Doing a bit of "meditating" of my own on the following ...

pcCoder wrote:Should this be taken as a confession to causing an event that resulted in the death of some people? Should he have charges of murder or manslaughter brought against him?

First of all, I think it would be a good idea if someone with access to a high-powered lawyer did sue this turbo-charged mouth on a stick over this. Because with the information now extant in the public domain, he has two choices. One, continue making the claim that his "meditation" triggered this earthquake, in which case he admits responsibility for death and destruction, and is thus criminally liable for said death and destruction. Or two, admit that he was bullshitting on a grand scale to stroke his ego, in which case the obvious corollary question is "and tell me, Mr Chopra, on what other occasions have you bullshitted people with respect to your assertions about meditation and various wacky quantum woo ideas of yours?"

Trouble is, I don't think anyone will put this to the test. Which means he'll continue to bullshit people like this in future, and continue to earn vast revenues by bullshitting people.

r.c wrote:I wonder whether he really believes what he says or just tries to exploit the gullible. I strongly suspect the latter.

This latest incident has a certain smell about it ... redolent of eau de jumping the shark, marking the point where he starts to believe the music of the spheres of his own verbal diarrhoea, and disappears up his own arse. Unfortunately, this could be a protracted process. And before it is complete, there could be moments of sufficient lucidity to continue bilking the rubes, before the condition becomes pathological enough to render him irrevocably and publicly ridiculous to his target audience. Though I suspect even if he were to appear tomorrow in Central Park naked except for a pair of soiled women's panties on his head, singing "I am a banana" over and over again, there would be some amongst the gullible who would regard this as merely being a new "meditation" ritual, and would start copying him.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby shobhit » Apr 09, 2010 6:31 pm

Here he goes again. He is the guru of woo woo who should be afraid of somone sueing him for property damage after the earth quack (oops quake)...
If anyone thinks that Deepak has out of control meta-physical balls... join http://www.facebook.com/pages/Physicall ... 909?ref=ts
shobhit

India (in)
Print view this post

#19  Postby james1v » Apr 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Yeah right, and i just caused that supernova, because i was meditating on how hard i would like to kick his arse! :coffee:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Animavore » Apr 09, 2010 7:15 pm

I'd laugh if he got lynched by a gang of superstitious, Catholic Mexicans and got burned as a witch :lol:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural