Classic movie scene about Science v Faith

Mind over Matter, Paranormal v Science

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Classic movie scene about Science v Faith

#41  Postby Spearthrower » May 04, 2012 7:53 pm

Atheistoclast wrote:There is a scene from the Hammer Horror B-movie, Asylum (1972), which is one of my favorites ever.

A young psychiatrist, Dr. Martin, is visiting an asylum and investigating 4 "incurable cases" of insanity among the patients. He visits a certain, Dr. Byron, who has been making battery-powered puppets/dolls that he is trying to control via his mind.

Dr. Byron believes that he can breathe his consciousness and will into his creations in the same manner as the LORD God breathed life into Adam. He pointedly asks Dr. Martin if he believes in the account of Genesis 2 whereby Dr. Martin replies that he "believes in science". The scene begins at 14:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pBl8kYEpS8

Dr. Byron then succeeds in animating his dolls with the power of his mind in the following part of the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZb0AEn3 ... ure=relmfu

I particularly like this because materialistic science is consistently in denial about the power of mind (and faith) over matter even though there are plenty of scientific studies on the subject of psychosomatic illnesses and cures. What for the scientist is supernatural nonsense, is actually natural mental energy.



Let me check I understand this right. You like the movie because it shows you something fantastic, that's not true in the real world, and that makes you think that you're right in holding your belief that this is actually the case? Naturally, it's topped off with a 'muahah that shows them materialistic scientists' which seems ever-present in your motivation for doing anything.

Natural mental energy? Your woo is not limited to divine beings, I see.

Just a note: psychosomatic doesn't have anything to do with mental energies man; when you recall that negative thinking can lead to depression, and that depression can have ill effects on the body... then it's not a great leap to see why positive thinking, a good self-image, a reason to wake up tomorrow etc are all promoters of recovery.

Did you know that there are people who get better because of hearing drums? Or because a Shaman performed a magic ritual to cure them? Naturally then, from your argument, the drums actually do effect the cure, and the shaman's magic is real.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27996
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Classic movie scene about Science v Faith

#42  Postby Spearthrower » May 04, 2012 7:54 pm

Atheistoclast wrote:
campermon wrote:
Atheistoclast wrote:What for the scientist is supernatural nonsense, is actually natural mental energy.


Is this type of energy, 'natural mental', the same sort of energy that we measure in Joules or eV?


It is psychic energy. It can cause things to move, however you wish to measure this.


:doh:

:smoke:

Psychic energy interacting with physical objects..... and it's measurable! What have you been doing this weekend, Joe?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27996
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Classic movie scene about Science v Faith

#43  Postby Spearthrower » May 04, 2012 7:56 pm

Atheistoclast wrote:
John P. M. wrote:
Atheistoclast wrote:I particularly like this because materialistic science is consistently in denial about the power of mind (and faith) over matter even though there are plenty of scientific studies on the subject of psychosomatic illnesses and cures. What for the scientist is supernatural nonsense, is actually natural mental energy.


I think there's a 'slight' difference between something being psychosomatic, and someone being able to control and manipulate matter apart from their body through the will of their mind alone. I think the world would be a very different place if the latter were the case to a statistically significant degree. How feeble this mental energy must be, considering the lack of results. And yet, it's supposed to be a sort of 'offshoot' from the greatest Force, isn't it?


Oh, but I have successfully experimented with psychokinesis before. I haven't been able to move mountains, or walk on water, but I can get things suspended by a thread to move slightly just with the power of my own concentration.

Of course, Dr. Byron manages to do something more spectacular.



This one needs to be kept for posterity.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27996
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Classic movie scene about Science v Faith

#44  Postby Spearthrower » May 04, 2012 7:57 pm

Atheistoclast wrote:
Onyx8 wrote:So AC, are you praying to God that the object move or are you actually expending energy of some type to move it? Got any clues as to how this energy travels/what it is?


I just concentrate. The energy I transmit is very subtle, hence the point of suspending the object by a thread. I have done controlled experiments and am getting some good data. :thumbup:



:lol:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27996
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Classic movie scene about Science v Faith

#45  Postby orpheus » May 05, 2012 1:15 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Onyx8 wrote:So AC, are you praying to God that the object move or are you actually expending energy of some type to move it? Got any clues as to how this energy travels/what it is?

I hope he's praying to God for it, because otherwise it's witchcraft, and that's a stoning offense. Either that, or the beginning of his career as a Jedi.


I think it's real gas music from Jupiter.
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
User avatar
orpheus
 
Posts: 7274
Age: 56
Male

Country: New York, USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Classic movie scene about Science v Faith

#46  Postby epepke » May 05, 2012 2:09 am

Atheistoclast wrote:I particularly like this because materialistic science is consistently in denial about the power of mind (and faith) over matter even though there are plenty of scientific studies on the subject of psychosomatic illnesses and cures. What for the scientist is supernatural nonsense, is actually natural mental energy.


I don't know why people say this. Well, actually I do, but I'm trying to be polite here.

It's been pretty well established that the brain is part of the body, that it's connected to the rest of the body, and that it has effects on the body. That is pretty much what the brain is for.

To wave one's hands and talk about "mental energy," however, is an infantile view of the world. It isn't much different from attributing life to some élan vital, or heat to phlogiston, or even the fact that things burn to fire as an element.
User avatar
epepke
 
Posts: 4080

Country: US
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Classic movie scene about Science v Faith

#47  Postby Made of Stars » May 05, 2012 3:21 am

It's odd isn't it, that someone can bang on about reason and science proving god, then criticise reason and science for not giving credence to his magical thinking.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
User avatar
Made of Stars
RS Donator
 
Name: Call me Coco
Posts: 9820
Age: 52
Male

Country: Girt by sea
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Classic movie scene about Science v Faith

#48  Postby Paul » May 05, 2012 1:18 pm

Atheistoclast wrote:There is a scene from the Hammer Horror B-movie, Asylum (1972), which is one of my favorites ever.

A young psychiatrist, Dr. Martin, is visiting an asylum and investigating 4 "incurable cases" of insanity among the patients.


[showbiz_trivia]
Dr. Martin was played by Robert Powell, who a couple of years earlier, has played scientist Toby Wren in the BBC sci-fi series Doomwatch. Toby Wren came to an unfortunate end trying to defuse a nuclear bomb, he succeeded but died in a conventional blast. He gave his life that others may live.

Later Powell controversially played the title role in the ITV miniseries Jesus of Nazareth. Controversial because he had for some time been "living in sin" with a dancer from the Pan's People (Big Babs - can't remember her name though :wink:). Some people thought it was blasphemous for such a man to play Jesus :roll: .

Image


[/showbiz trivia]
"Peter, I can see your house from here!"
User avatar
Paul
 
Posts: 4550
Age: 63
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Classic movie scene about Science v Faith

#49  Postby campermon » May 05, 2012 1:30 pm

Paul wrote:
Image

[/showbiz trivia]


Great jacket!

They just don't make clothes like that anymore. :(

[/off topic fashion chat]
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
User avatar
campermon
RS Donator
 
Posts: 17437
Age: 51
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Classic movie scene about Science v Faith

#50  Postby Spearthrower » May 06, 2012 5:25 am

campermon wrote:
Paul wrote:
Image

[/showbiz trivia]


Great jacket!

They just don't make clothes like that anymore. :(

[/off topic fashion chat]



There are laws to protect people these days!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27996
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest