Clinical Death and Soul

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Clinical Death and Soul

#1  Postby Aurlito » Mar 18, 2010 2:21 pm

Do you think that clinical death is a proof that our bodies aren't comprised with soul? In clinical death patient is literally death and blood circulation is down hence organs stopped functioning. for 30 minutes time limit before revival, where do think this so called soul is?
If your thoughts are the same as they were yesterday, your retired.
Aurlito
Banned Troll

Male

Print view this post

Re: Clinical Death and Soul

#2  Postby Weaver » Mar 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Rather than trying to "prove" that there isn't a "soul" - since proving a negative is notoriously difficult - I'll wait for someone to give me any reasonable evidence whatsoever that a "soul" does in fact exist.

The inability of theists to agree on definitions of the supposed "soul" or on the conditions under which it departs the body is only another indicator that they're making the shit up.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Aurlito » Mar 18, 2010 8:56 pm

Maybe soul is alternative for DNA?
If your thoughts are the same as they were yesterday, your retired.
Aurlito
Banned Troll

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Wiðercora » Mar 18, 2010 9:11 pm

Weaver wrote:Rather than trying to "prove" that there isn't a "soul" - since proving a negative is notoriously difficult - I'll wait for someone to give me any reasonable evidence whatsoever that a "soul" does in fact exist.

The inability of theists to agree on definitions of the supposed "soul" or on the conditions under which it departs the body is only another indicator that they're making the shit up.

I can't wait for them to define the damn thing properly. A 'life-force'. What? What is that? Everyone I've spoken too knows what it is - or at least, what they think it is -, but can't quite put it into none-vague words.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Spoof of god » Mar 21, 2010 3:54 pm

There was a guy in USA who thought he had weighed the soul. He did this by weighing a dying man and then weighing the corpse. His name was Duncan MacDougall. He reckoned it weighed three-fourths of an ounce, by the way. The experiement was performed in Massachusetts in 1901. It caused quite a stir in its day.
If man hadn't already invented god, Disney would have!
Spoof of god

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Prof. Faust » Mar 21, 2010 8:31 pm

Wiðercora wrote:
I can't wait for them to define the damn thing properly. A 'life-force'. What? What is that? Everyone I've spoken too knows what it is - or at least, what they think it is -, but can't quite put it into none-vague words.

Is life-force conservative or non-conservative? Inquiring minds want to know!

Spoof of god wrote:There was a guy in USA who thought he had weighed the soul. He did this by weighing a dying man and then weighing the corpse. His name was Duncan MacDougall. He reckoned it weighed three-fourths of an ounce, by the way. The experiement was performed in Massachusetts in 1901. It caused quite a stir in its day.

I suppose the weight of air was cutting-edge back then.
For a moment, consider the set of all sets that have never been considered.
Prof. Faust

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby crank » Mar 21, 2010 9:27 pm

In highschool, we had scales that allowed you to almost watch the water evaporate in real time. It ain't difficult to build to that sensitivity, and wasn't then. The soul--what a nebulous concept-pun half intended. Quite obviously a silly idea, if everyone wasn't so conditioned to it, it would be laughed at on first hearing. If it's material, we would detect it, if immaterial, how can it interact with or be a part of us?
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Mitts » Apr 03, 2010 2:51 pm

I'm not sure if I'm remembering this correctly but I read Bertrand Russells 'Why I'm not a Christian' as while ago and he said that the human body replaces its cells every seven years or so. So would it then follow that we aren't (biologically) the same person we were seven years ago? Does this mean that a 'soul' would have to be apart from the body? If so, where is it? Where does it 'live'?

Not sure where I'm going with this, just thought I'd throw it into the mix!

:ask:
All religions are based on the same ridiculous imagination, that make man a weak, imbecile animal; a furious bigot and fanatic or a miserable hypocrite. Robert Owen

I used to be catholic but I'm better now. Torchwood: Miracle Day
Mitts

Name: Marcus Mittens
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural