Cold reading

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Cold reading

#1  Postby Transilvanian » Aug 16, 2013 5:08 pm

Hy!

My question is:a good cold reader how much details can say for his clients abouth them and about their life-events, without asking anything?
How big is the power of cold reading?

Can you give me example videos or something else where a skeptic is making a very detailed reading to somebody and convincing him/her that he has special skills?

Thanks! ... and sorry 4 my English
Transilvanian

Male

Hungary (hu)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Cold reading

#2  Postby Animavore » Aug 16, 2013 5:17 pm

Watch anything by Derren Brown if you want to see a skeptic who can 'read minds' and a lot of other stuff.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Aug 16, 2013 5:53 pm

Agreed.

Derren Brown videos will give you a good idea of what you can deduce from just looking at someone, or what you can get them to give away without them noticing.

Also just look it up on wiki and check the reference section for literature...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_reading
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Weaver » Aug 16, 2013 6:43 pm

A lot of the "power" of cold reading lies in people remembering the bits the reader says which are true, and forgetting all the bits the reader says which are false.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Fallible » Aug 16, 2013 7:01 pm

Transilvanian wrote:Hy!

My question is:a good cold reader how much details can say for his clients abouth them and about their life-events, without asking anything?

Can you give me example videos or something else where a skeptic is making a very detailed reading to somebody and convincing him/her that he has special skills?

Cold readers do ask questions, though they are not always identifiable as such to the audience or subject. Sometimes they will be in the form of a statement, and the reader will take us cue from any reaction he gets to t. If there is none, he drops it immediately and moves onto another statement, or in the case of someone like John Edward, he insists he is right about his information but that the subject will need to check it when they get home. In this way the reader is remembered as getting many hits, while the misses are quickly forgotten. Misses can be tailored into hits by giving the subject multiple possibilities in one statement and then following the line the subject picks up on.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 16, 2013 7:14 pm

Transilvanian wrote:My question is:a good cold reader how much details can say for his clients abouth them and about their life-events, without asking anything?

Well, put it this way. I went to a clairvoyant years ago who told me I was on the cusp of Scorpio/Sagittarius, and that my ex-girlfriend was a Gemini. Actually, I'm a couple of days out of the cusp, but nevertheless, it was an impressive degree of accuracy, considering there was no way of her knowing our birthdays. I've never been able to work out precisely how she did it, though naturally there must be a logical explanation.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Shrunk » Aug 16, 2013 7:22 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
Transilvanian wrote:My question is:a good cold reader how much details can say for his clients abouth them and about their life-events, without asking anything?

Well, put it this way. I went to a clairvoyant years ago who told me I was on the cusp of Scorpio/Sagittarius, and that my ex-girlfriend was a Gemini. Actually, I'm a couple of days out of the cusp, but nevertheless, it was an impressive degree of accuracy, considering there was no way of her knowing our birthdays.

Being wrong (You're not on the cusp) is "an impressive degree of accuracy"?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby BlackBart » Aug 16, 2013 7:24 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:

Well, put it this way. I went to a clairvoyant years ago who told me I was on the cusp of Scorpio/Sagittarius, and that my ex-girlfriend was a Gemini. Actually, I'm a couple of days out of the cusp, but nevertheless, it was an impressive degree of accuracy, considering there was no way of her knowing our birthdays. I've never been able to work out precisely how she did it, though naturally there must be a logical explanation.

Was she accurate about anything else?
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Animavore » Aug 16, 2013 7:35 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:

If there anyway she could've Facebooked you or anything like that? Did you pay by credit card?

Needs moar details :P
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10  Postby iamthereforeithink » Aug 16, 2013 7:55 pm

Shrunk wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:

Well, put it this way. I went to a clairvoyant years ago who told me I was on the cusp of Scorpio/Sagittarius, and that my ex-girlfriend was a Gemini. Actually, I'm a couple of days out of the cusp, but nevertheless, it was an impressive degree of accuracy, considering there was no way of her knowing our birthdays.

Being wrong (You're not on the cusp) is "an impressive degree of accuracy"?

On its own, it seems to be a pretty impressive result, given that there are 360 possible answers. I'm sure that the p-value of coming up with an answer within 2 values of the right answer in a single trial would be well below 0.05, making it statistically significant. What we don't know is if information was provided in other ways that could narrow down the range of possible answers. And of course, highly improbable results do also have to occur at some point, so we can't infer magic from this in any case.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
iamthereforeithink

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Emmeline » Aug 16, 2013 8:01 pm

I went to a clairvoyant with a friend who was really into it. The striking thing is that I found myself focusing on the smaller % of things she got right rather than the larger % that were meaningless to me. That's part of how it works I'm sure.
Emmeline

Print view this post

#12  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 16, 2013 8:53 pm

Shrunk wrote:Being wrong (You're not on the cusp) is "an impressive degree of accuracy"?

Well, the cusp is generally considered to be a five day period, so your chances of guessing within 2 days of it at random are about 1 in 40. So, yes, I'd say 95+% accuracy is impressive, especially when it's coupled with another accurate guess at odds of 1 in 12.

BlackBart wrote:Was she accurate about anything else?

Yes, but most of it can be explained away easily as classic cold reading stuff, open to several interpretations. And of course, there were misses too, which are also easily explained!

I would say that a gifted cold reader can give you valuable insights into yourself, much as a counsellor would, and she told me some things I needed to hear.

Animavore wrote:If there anyway she could've Facebooked you or anything like that? Did you pay by credit card?

Needs moar details :P

This was in 2004, so no Facebook, and I paid by cash on the day. She only had my first name in advance.

I have the whole session on cassette tape, I must dig it out and listen to it again.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Transilvanian » Aug 19, 2013 11:44 am

http://www.asztro-show.hu/tv-musor/
In the episode broadcasted on 14th of June, Lomini amazed me...
He knew asking only a name, that:
A woman is working in cosmetics.
That a man has an affare with a woman and he knew her name (Laura) a that she is 28(!). And a lot of other things...
Cold reading and luck can be excluded...

I don't know in what to believe anymore...

Sorry 4 my bad English
Transilvanian

Male

Hungary (hu)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Fallible » Aug 19, 2013 11:45 am

I'm not sure that cold reading and luck can be excluded, or indeed someone milling about listening in on what they were saying beforehand, or what contact was had.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15  Postby BlackBart » Aug 19, 2013 4:17 pm

Or that it wasn't merely a complete fabrication.

Probably best not to formulate a worldview based on late night dial-a-psychic shows. :coffee:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby MrFungus420 » Aug 19, 2013 7:23 pm

Transilvanian wrote:http://www.asztro-show.hu/tv-musor/
In the episode broadcasted on 14th of June, Lomini amazed me...
He knew asking only a name, that:
A woman is working in cosmetics.
That a man has an affare with a woman and he knew her name (Laura) a that she is 28(!). And a lot of other things...
Cold reading and luck can be excluded...

I don't know in what to believe anymore...

How do you know that the calls are legitimate?
Assuming that the calls are all legitimate, what sort of information does the call-screener ask about and how much time is there between the screener asking those questions and the call being connected?

Transilvanian wrote:Sorry 4 my bad English

Don't worry. Your English is pretty good.
Atheism alone is no more a religion than health is a disease. One may as well argue over which brand of car pedestrians drive.
- AronRa
MrFungus420

Print view this post

#17  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Aug 19, 2013 7:48 pm

Fallible wrote:
Transilvanian wrote:Hy!

Cold readers do ask questions, though they are not always identifiable as such to the audience or subject. Sometimes they will be in the form of a statement, and the reader will take us cue from any reaction he gets to t. If there is none, he drops it immediately and moves onto another statement, or in the case of someone like John Edward, he insists he is right about his information but that the subject will need to check it when they get home. In this way the reader is remembered as getting many hits, while the misses are quickly forgotten. Misses can be tailored into hits by giving the subject multiple possibilities in one statement and then following the line the subject picks up on.

You can also make someone believe that you have nailed them in a 1 to 1 by making general statements that most everyone would agree to about themselves. Everyone thinks they are unique in many ways that they are not.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Fallible » Aug 19, 2013 7:51 pm

Yep, it's like that thing with the horoscopes. Someone writes one that is the same for every star sign and you still find that people reading them report the comments are spot on.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural