Derek Ogilvie: 'Million Dollar Mind-Reader'

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Derek Ogilvie: 'Million Dollar Mind-Reader'

#1  Postby Kenaz » May 12, 2010 1:23 pm

Extraordinary People: The Million Dollar Mind Reader
Posted On: May 6, 2010

Derek Ogilvie says he can read the minds of infants who are too young to communicate verbally.

Now he agrees to undergo a series of controlled experiments to test the limits of his alleged abilities.

He even faces the ultimate sceptic in the form of James Randi, an investigator of the paranormal who has offered $1million to anyone who can provide evidence of the supernatural.

Apparently. “I get little movies played to me, I really do, I’m not a liar, I really, really do,” pants the Scotsman, spherical head bobbing like a drowning apple as footage shows the “professional psychic” doing frantic jazz hands while an expressionless toddler batters his thighs with something plastic.

Here, Ogilvie subjects himself to James Randi’s “one million dollar psychic challenge”, which promises to separate the actually psychic wheat from the transparently cobblers chaff. Unmissable.

http://documentaryheaven.com/extraordin ... nd-reader/

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yaVp3ZOozA[/youtube]
Question marks may be at the end of sentences; but in life they are the introduction.
Kenaz
RS Donator

Print view this post

Re: Derek Ogilvie: 'Million Dollar Mind-Reader'

#2  Postby Jumbo » May 18, 2010 9:42 am

Derek Ogilvie says he can read the minds of infants who are too young to communicate verbally.

Hmmmm

What are the odds of most of the messages he picks up being either:
I'm hungry
I've crapped myself
I'm tired
I'm about to unleash an ear shattering scream banshee style for any of the above reasons.
The Feynman Problem-Solving Algorithm

1. Write down the problem.
2. Think very hard.
3. Write down the answer.
Jumbo

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Kenaz » May 18, 2010 4:19 pm

:lol:
Question marks may be at the end of sentences; but in life they are the introduction.
Kenaz
RS Donator

Print view this post

#4  Postby Weaver » May 18, 2010 4:23 pm

A bit premature to call him a "Million Dollar Mind-Reader" before he's even attempted Randi's challange, isn't it? I mean, can't they at least wait until he's won before bestowing the title?

OTOH, he'll never win, so this is his only chance to be called that. ;)
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Rubicon » May 26, 2010 3:41 pm

This "documentary" already aired in 2008 in the UK.

Don't forget to read this article on the JREF website after you've seen it. Otherwise some people may get the idea that Ogilvie actually has supernatural powers.

Edit: and this one, which gives a more indepth look into the last part of the program.

The final sequence showed Derek having his brain scanned by Dr. Gerald Gluck. Gluck advertises himself as an “energy healer” (i.e. a quack). This does not mean that he can’t use an EEG machine properly but his belief in non-physical cause and effect should be borne in mind when his interpretation of the evidence is presented.

Derek was connected up to an EEG machine, which measured his brain-wave patterns whilst he was doing a typical reading of his (a child with its parents present). The results of the test showed that Derek had a much higher than normal level of activity in one area of his brain: the area that deals with non-verbal communication (imagery, body language, emotion, etc.)

This is where the programme became rather unsatisfactory and reliant upon ambiguity and obfuscation. Gluck was asked what these results meant and he replied that they were consistent with what Derek was claiming. But we weren’t told with which of Derek’s claims!

Derek claims that when he’s communicating telepathically he gets images, pictures or movies in his mind and it’s these that he interprets whilst giving a psychic reading. Now, if we accept that Derek does indeed get vivid mental imagery in his mind (and this is not anything unusual) then the results of his EEG scan are consistent with this.

They are not consistent with psychic ability, however, simply because Derek failed to show any psychic ability: the results cannot explain an ability that does not exist! The EEG results are consistent with a person having rich, possibly even hallucinatory, mental imagery but for them to be consistent with, or a possible explanation for, psychic ability that ability would have to have been demonstrated in the first place.

The programme did not make this point clear and this was probably done on purpose as it all seemed designed to infer that the EEG results meant a psychic ability was there. All it really provides is a possible explanation as to why Derek believes he has psychic ability even though he clearly doesn’t.
Rubicon

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural