ESP researches

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

ESP researches

#1  Postby Transilvanian » Jan 30, 2013 4:25 pm

Hy again!

There are a lot of articles on the internet that says that there are so many significant results for ESP.
Is this true? Are scientist hardly ignoring these researches?

And here answers 6: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 029AAmuzdP
Transilvanian

Male

Hungary (hu)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: ESP resarches

#2  Postby Scarlett » Jan 30, 2013 4:29 pm

Yahoo? :scratch:

:tehe:
"The stupid bitch"

" ..the Scottish bitch.."

" Too much PC and stupid women."

"..Paula (who still thinks she is the forum pin-up)."

Prize for guessing who? :naughty2:
Scarlett

Female

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#3  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Jan 30, 2013 6:05 pm

If someone can really do ESP there is a cool million waiting for them. http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html

There are lots of articles on the internet about all kinds of things, bigfoot, aliens, ghosts, Russians who want to date you, hot girls in your area, me and I wouldn't trust anyone of them. Especially the ones about me, I never did any of those things...well most of those things...well some of those things...yes I did those things.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby campermon » Jan 30, 2013 6:24 pm

Transilvanian wrote:Hy again!

There are a lot of articles on the internet that says that there are so many significant results for ESP.

ESP?

Nothing to see here folks. Move along!

:grin:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Transilvanian » Jan 30, 2013 6:58 pm

What? :D Can I get a normal answer? :P
Why the so many significant results are ignored by the scientific comunity? The answer that: because the results can`t be reprodused is not a good answer (I think) because there are not only 10-20 researches with positive results. So, what is the answer? Are scientists close-minded and they are simply ignoring the results? Or there are much more negative results?

Transilvanian
Transilvanian

Male

Hungary (hu)
Print view this post

#6  Postby tolman » Jan 30, 2013 7:41 pm

Transilvanian wrote:What? :D Can I get a normal answer? :P
Why the so many significant results are ignored by the scientific comunity? The answer that: because the results can`t be reprodused is not a good answer (I think) because there are not only 10-20 researches with positive results. So, what is the answer? Are scientists close-minded and they are simply ignoring the results? Or there are much more negative results?

Transilvanian

If there was a researcher who could reliably produce significantly better-than-chance results in well-conducted experiments, even if it might take them a little time to gather support, I'm sure they should be able to at least gradually collect enough supporters to make it possible for them to attract attention from initially disbelieving serious mainstream scientists and serious journalists.

If someone could reliably produce significant results but couldn't manage to gradually get people on their side by progressively convincing people with increasing initial levels of disbelief, then possibly they shouldn't have chosen a career in ESP research, since being able to convince people you have found something worthwhile if/when you do get good results would seem to be a necessary skill.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#7  Postby campermon » Jan 30, 2013 7:43 pm

Transilvanian

Perhaps you could cite some valid and reliable 'significant results'?

:thumbup:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby BlackBart » Jan 30, 2013 7:53 pm

campermon wrote:

ESP?

I knew you were going to say that :levi:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby campermon » Jan 30, 2013 7:59 pm

BlackBart wrote:
campermon wrote:

ESP?

You can read my mind ? :shock:

Poor you....

:shifty:
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby BlackBart » Jan 30, 2013 8:11 pm

Why the so many significant results are ignored by the scientific comunity?

What 'significant results' would they be then?

The answer that: because the results can`t be reprodused is not a good answer (I think) because there are not only 10-20 researches with positive results.

If results can't be produced, there's no reason to assume it's a viable theory. If you do enough 'experiments' you'll always get 'positive results'. You need to be able to reproduce the results to show they're not merely the result of cognitive bias or plain old cheating. If you can't - it's a fail.

So, what is the answer? Are scientists close-minded and they are simply ignoring the results? Or there are much more negative results?

Why would scientists ignore anything? If there was reproducible evidence for ESP, a scientist would have been polishing his Nobel by now.
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby BlackBart » Jan 30, 2013 8:13 pm

campermon wrote:
BlackBart wrote:
campermon wrote:

ESP?

You can read my mind ? :shock:

Poor you....

:shock: All those potatoes in little gimp masks...the horror...the horror....
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby campermon » Jan 30, 2013 8:15 pm

Transilvanian

OK.

So we may have 10-20 studies with 'positive' results. How many studies have been conducted with negative results?

If you are going to come here and challenge science, then you need to come heavily armed with facts and data from reliable sources.

Any word on those citations I asked for yet?

:)
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby campermon » Jan 30, 2013 8:18 pm

BlackBart wrote:

:shock: All those potatoes in little gimp masks...the horror...the horror....

:shhh: I'm a respectable mod type now...
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Transilvanian » Jan 30, 2013 9:18 pm

Hy campermon!
I think you have misconstrued my intentions. I wanted to ask this skeptic comunity (probably I expressed myself badly) if anybody knows what is wrong with these resarches, and what is the positive-negative results rate?
I whant to know what is the reason why the significant results are not accepted by "the science". I hope(d) that anybody knows something about this subject and can tell me more about it.
I'm just a SKEPTIC who whants answers. :D I hope you understand what I whant to ask.
Again, sorry 4 my english!

Transilvanian (vampire) :))
Transilvanian

Male

Hungary (hu)
Print view this post

#15  Postby campermon » Jan 30, 2013 9:27 pm

Transilvanian wrote:Hy campermon!
I think you have misconstrued my intentions. I wanted to ask this skeptic comunity (probably I expressed myself badly) if anybody knows what is wrong with these resarches, and what is the positive-negative results rate?
I whant to know what is the reason why the significant results are not accepted by "the science". I hope(d) that anybody knows something about this subject and can tell me more about it.
I'm just a SKEPTIC who whants answers. :D I hope you understand what I whant to ask.
Again, sorry 4 my english!

Transilvanian (vampire) :))

:thumbup:

I think the issues are numerous!!

The big problem is this though: results can't be repeated.

:cheers:
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby tolman » Jan 30, 2013 9:31 pm

Transilvanian wrote:I want to know what is the reason why the significant results are not accepted by "the science".

Are there significant results which can be reliably demonstrated in a setting where there is no plausible explanation other than ESP (or something equally strange/inexplicable)?

If so, have people producing such results taken the fairly obvious steps needed to get their results more widely accepted, which is to find people they can show their experiments to who can examine their setup for flaws, who can then encourage other people to look at it, ultimately ending up with enough people convinced there are no flaws for the results to be generally accepted?

It is really the job of ESP researchers who think they have worthwhile results to go out and convince people who have understandable doubts, given the history of past frauds, and genuine researchers with flawed experiments.

For a start, I would have thought if someone had a setup whoch produced good results, they should maybe start off by trying to get other ESP researchers who are generally considered as honest people to come and look at their work and see if they can see any problems with it.

I'm sure if someone could get an increasing number of other ESP researchers to support their claims to have found some real effect, they would start to get noticed - if there was a united voice saying "Other scientists (and other interested parties) really need to come and look at this work" they could get some serious scientific and media interest.

If someone couldn't convince other ESP researchers to take them seriously...
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#17  Postby Goldenmane » Jan 30, 2013 11:32 pm

If ESP worked, it would have fisrt been weaponised and then commodified for the consumer market. We wouldn't have Google Maps or spy planes, and television would be vastly different, as would the Internet.
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

http://goldenmane.onlineinfidels.com/
Goldenmane

Print view this post

#18  Postby tolman » Jan 31, 2013 12:00 am

Well, potentially something could exist but be practically useless - too prone to disruption outside the most calm environments, too local to be of value, or otherwise pointless, and not [yet] be amenable to any kind of artificial augmentation.

If, for example, someone with a fully-developed 'telepathic' skill could walk onto a stage having been kept in perfect isolation, and telepathically pick up the odd simple thought as a result of an audience of 1000 people concentrating on it in unison, that'd be fascinating, but apparently practically useless since it would be far easier just to ask a member of the audience what the thought was.
It wouldn't even be an obviously useful skill for someone who was entirely deaf and blind, unless they had the resources to employ a cast of thousands to follow them around as thought transmitters.
tolman

Print view this post

#19  Postby Ingenuity Gap » Jan 31, 2013 12:39 am

Transilvanian wrote:I whant to know what is the reason why the significant results are not accepted by "the science".

Hey Transilvanian,

Another Transylvanian here.

In addition to repeatability, science requires a mechanism that explains the results. As far as I know all mechanisms proposed by ESP enthusiasts are industrial grade BS.

Watch the following video and you'll see why ESP phenomena are most likely impossible: From Particles to People.
Ingenuity Gap

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20  Postby tolman » Jan 31, 2013 1:16 am

Well, science can accept evidence that something happens in advance of working out exactly how it happens.

Given appropriate evidence, medical science can accept the fact that that a particular group of people seem to suddenly have an accelerated death rate from one or more diseases without knowing what the underlying causes might be.

Physics accepted that certain minerals seemed to generate energy well before it had an adequate method of describing what was happening
tolman

Print view this post

Next

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural