Evidence ancient aliens really exisited?

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Evidence ancient aliens really exisited?

#1381  Postby THWOTH » May 10, 2012 11:30 pm

So the aliens really did exist then? :ask:



(sneaking back on topic)
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
User avatar
THWOTH
RS Donator
 
Name: Penrose
Posts: 37113
Age: 56

Country: Untied Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Evidence ancient aliens really exisited?

#1382  Postby Tangerine Dream » May 10, 2012 11:40 pm

THWOTH wrote:So the aliens really did exist then? :ask:



(sneaking back on topic)


Of course they do :grin:

Image
Image
Image
If shit was worth something, poor people would be born with no asshole.
User avatar
Tangerine Dream
 
Posts: 12670
Age: 4
Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

Re: Evidence ancient aliens really exisited?

#1383  Postby THWOTH » May 10, 2012 11:46 pm

Our majestic Lizard Overlords have forbidden the transmission of those images I'm afraid Tangy. :|
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
User avatar
THWOTH
RS Donator
 
Name: Penrose
Posts: 37113
Age: 56

Country: Untied Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Evidence ancient aliens really exisited?

#1384  Postby hoopy frood » May 10, 2012 11:59 pm

sandinista wrote:
hoopy frood wrote:The fact is though, that imagining any such alien device for casually breezing around the cosmos is akin to imagining a device which allows one to time-travel. Pure fantasy.


Possibly, but possibly not. Travel to the moon was pure fantasy 500 years ago. That's but one example.


The point I was making is travelling around the vast distances of the cosmos was akin to time-travel. We are no clcoser to a way of travelling the universe than we are to travelling in time. Little trips out to our local moon are hardly relevant.


sandinista wrote:
hoopy frood wrote:As I say, for me it is more or less the same as asking me to believe a technically-advanced civilization somewhere/anywhere in the universe has access to time travel. To me, both appear to be the obvious product of human whimsy and I can think of no reason whatsoever to suppose either to be true or even possible.


Satellites, nuclear weapons, space travel etc were all considered "pure whimsy" as well. That doesn't mean anything, that's simply short sighted thinking.



I said 'human whimsy' not 'pure whimsy' because Ideas of galaxy-hopping aliens have an all-too-obviously-human origin.
I don’t think we’re for anything, we’re just products of evolution. You can say “Gee, your life must be pretty bleak if you don’t think there’s a purpose,” but I’m anticipating a good lunch.

Theology: The study of elaborate verbal disguises for non-ideas
User avatar
hoopy frood
 
Posts: 1519
Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

Re: Evidence ancient aliens really exisited?

#1385  Postby Landrew » May 11, 2012 12:54 am

horacerumpole wrote:
Landrew wrote:
sandinista wrote:
MacIver wrote:

If you think I'm trolling then report me. What I think I'm doing is caricaturing the opinions of some in this thread who have the opinion that all opinions are equal.


because, unfortunately, that is the maximum extent of "discussion" that some members can muster, caricaturing, along with sarcasm. No surprise, of course, this is an internet forum and that is what generally happens. It's an ego game, that's all. Of course not all opinions are equal in the real world. On the internet, forums especially, all opinions do tend to be equal. No one has any credentials, most people use fake names, "evidence" is generally a link to some web page or the ramblings of a keyboard warrior. Besides all of that, people tend to stick with their original position regardless of the discussion. It is very rare to see anyone arguing a different side to agree or even give credit to someone for a decent point. The funny thing, and the entertainment value of forums is seeing people actually take them seriously to the point where it seems like they believe they have "proven" something or "won" an argument. I mean, how many pages has this went on for? For people who claim to not believe in aliens they sure seem to spend a lot of time discussing the topic. :scratch:

If the focus were on the topic, not on the people posting, it would be a far more interesting debate. I suppose the degree to which this happens is largely up to the discretion of the mods.



I agree -- so, let's focus on the "Evidence ancient aliens really existed."

What do you think that evidence is? What's the best evidence?

You don't need evidence to speculate. Evidence wasn't required to invade Iraq.
It's the duty of a Scientist to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.
Landrew
 
Name: greg p
Posts: 782

Print view this post

Re: Evidence ancient aliens really exisited?

#1386  Postby hackenslash » May 11, 2012 1:20 am

sandinista wrote:
MacIver wrote:
Landrew wrote:
MacIver wrote:Yeah, but, that's just, like, your opinion.

Its just another type of trolling; spoiling for fights, using any sort of convoluted rationale, as long as it sounds vaguely rational .


If you think I'm trolling then report me. What I think I'm doing is caricaturing the opinions of some in this thread who have the opinion that all opinions are equal.


because, unfortunately, that is the maximum extent of "discussion" that some members can muster, caricaturing, along with sarcasm. No surprise, of course, this is an internet forum and that is what generally happens. It's an ego game, that's all. Of course not all opinions are equal in the real world. On the internet, forums especially, all opinions do tend to be equal. No one has any credentials, most people use fake names, "evidence" is generally a link to some web page or the ramblings of a keyboard warrior. Besides all of that, people tend to stick with their original position regardless of the discussion. It is very rare to see anyone arguing a different side to agree or even give credit to someone for a decent point. The funny thing, and the entertainment value of forums is seeing people actually take them seriously to the point where it seems like they believe they have "proven" something or "won" an argument. I mean, how many pages has this went on for? For people who claim to not believe in aliens they sure seem to spend a lot of time discussing the topic. :scratch:


I'm going to bookmark this bit if cortical excrement, just to be sure I don't forget what an utter failure of one neuron connecting to the next it truly was. Rarely has it been my extreme displeasure not to be able to avoid reading such utterly stupid, flatulent cock. I'll explain why when I have leisure.
User avatar
hackenslash
 
Name: The Other Sweary One
Posts: 21444
Age: 51
Male

Country: Republic of Mancunia
Print view this post

Re: Evidence ancient aliens really exisited?

#1387  Postby Landrew » May 11, 2012 1:47 am

hackenslash wrote:
sandinista wrote:
MacIver wrote:
Landrew wrote:
Its just another type of trolling; spoiling for fights, using any sort of convoluted rationale, as long as it sounds vaguely rational .


If you think I'm trolling then report me. What I think I'm doing is caricaturing the opinions of some in this thread who have the opinion that all opinions are equal.


because, unfortunately, that is the maximum extent of "discussion" that some members can muster, caricaturing, along with sarcasm. No surprise, of course, this is an internet forum and that is what generally happens. It's an ego game, that's all. Of course not all opinions are equal in the real world. On the internet, forums especially, all opinions do tend to be equal. No one has any credentials, most people use fake names, "evidence" is generally a link to some web page or the ramblings of a keyboard warrior. Besides all of that, people tend to stick with their original position regardless of the discussion. It is very rare to see anyone arguing a different side to agree or even give credit to someone for a decent point. The funny thing, and the entertainment value of forums is seeing people actually take them seriously to the point where it seems like they believe they have "proven" something or "won" an argument. I mean, how many pages has this went on for? For people who claim to not believe in aliens they sure seem to spend a lot of time discussing the topic. :scratch:


I'm going to bookmark this bit if cortical excrement, just to be sure I don't forget what an utter failure of one neuron connecting to the next it truly was. Rarely has it been my extreme displeasure not to be able to avoid reading such utterly stupid, flatulent cock. I'll explain why when I have leisure.

This is the best example so far, of unsupported declarations being pinched out in lieu of rational arguments.
It's the duty of a Scientist to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.
Landrew
 
Name: greg p
Posts: 782

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Evidence ancient aliens really exisited?

#1388  Postby sandinista » May 11, 2012 4:01 am

Tangerine Dream wrote: THWOTH wrote:So the aliens really did exist then? :ask:



(sneaking back on topic)



Of course they do :grin:


Of course they don't :grin:

Landrew wrote:This is the best example so far, of unsupported declarations being pinched out in lieu of rational arguments.


referring to the ramblings of a single brain cell...Of course he has no rational arguments, that's why he insists on rambling on and on with (lame as they may be) personal attacks. :yawn2:
Our struggle is not against actual corrupt individuals, but against those in power in general, against their authority, against the global order and the ideological mystification which sustains it.
User avatar
sandinista
 
Posts: 1289
Age: 47

Country: canaduh
Print view this post

Re: Evidence ancient aliens really exisited?

#1389  Postby sandinista » May 11, 2012 5:01 am

hackenslash wrote:...blah blah blah...I'll explain why when I have leisure.


oh, yah, forgot...don't bother, no one cares to hear any more of your inane, utterly simpleminded, half-witted ramblings.
Our struggle is not against actual corrupt individuals, but against those in power in general, against their authority, against the global order and the ideological mystification which sustains it.
User avatar
sandinista
 
Posts: 1289
Age: 47

Country: canaduh
Print view this post

Re: Evidence ancient aliens really exisited?

#1390  Postby hackenslash » May 11, 2012 5:49 am

referring to the ramblings of a single brain cell...Of course he has no rational arguments, that's why he insists on rambling on and on with (lame as they may be) personal attacks.


Two things: First, my rational arguments are littered throughout this thread. Second, what personal attacks? Show me one.

sandinista wrote:oh, yah, forgot...don't bother, no one cares to hear any more of your inane, utterly simpleminded, half-witted ramblings.


Ah, speak for everybody, can you? :wink:
User avatar
hackenslash
 
Name: The Other Sweary One
Posts: 21444
Age: 51
Male

Country: Republic of Mancunia
Print view this post

Re: Evidence ancient aliens really exisited?

#1391  Postby sandinista » May 11, 2012 6:08 am

hackenslash wrote:First, my rational arguments are littered throughout this thread.


first :rofl:

hackenslash wrote: Second, what personal attacks? Show me one.


Landrew wrote:Rarely has it been my extreme displeasure not to be able to avoid reading such utterly stupid, flatulent cock.


hackenslash wrote:Ah, speak for everybody, can you?


:smug:
Our struggle is not against actual corrupt individuals, but against those in power in general, against their authority, against the global order and the ideological mystification which sustains it.
User avatar
sandinista
 
Posts: 1289
Age: 47

Country: canaduh
Print view this post

Re: Evidence ancient aliens really exisited?

#1392  Postby Spearthrower » May 11, 2012 6:16 am

Landrew wrote:
hackenslash wrote:
sandinista wrote:
MacIver wrote:

If you think I'm trolling then report me. What I think I'm doing is caricaturing the opinions of some in this thread who have the opinion that all opinions are equal.


because, unfortunately, that is the maximum extent of "discussion" that some members can muster, caricaturing, along with sarcasm. No surprise, of course, this is an internet forum and that is what generally happens. It's an ego game, that's all. Of course not all opinions are equal in the real world. On the internet, forums especially, all opinions do tend to be equal. No one has any credentials, most people use fake names, "evidence" is generally a link to some web page or the ramblings of a keyboard warrior. Besides all of that, people tend to stick with their original position regardless of the discussion. It is very rare to see anyone arguing a different side to agree or even give credit to someone for a decent point. The funny thing, and the entertainment value of forums is seeing people actually take them seriously to the point where it seems like they believe they have "proven" something or "won" an argument. I mean, how many pages has this went on for? For people who claim to not believe in aliens they sure seem to spend a lot of time discussing the topic. :scratch:


I'm going to bookmark this bit if cortical excrement, just to be sure I don't forget what an utter failure of one neuron connecting to the next it truly was. Rarely has it been my extreme displeasure not to be able to avoid reading such utterly stupid, flatulent cock. I'll explain why when I have leisure.


This is the best example so far, of unsupported declarations being pinched out in lieu of rational arguments.



As opposed to your own performance?

Where's the evidence you kept referring to?

Do you think it's rational to make claims you can't support?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27990
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Evidence ancient aliens really exisited?

#1393  Postby hackenslash » May 11, 2012 6:19 am

sadinista wrote:...some stuff...


That's meant to be a personal attack, is it? How is a comment directed at the fuckwittery contained in a post an attack on the person?
User avatar
hackenslash
 
Name: The Other Sweary One
Posts: 21444
Age: 51
Male

Country: Republic of Mancunia
Print view this post

Re: Evidence ancient aliens really exisited?

#1394  Postby Spearthrower » May 11, 2012 6:33 am

sandinista wrote:
referring to the ramblings of a single brain cell...Of course he has no rational arguments, that's why he insists on rambling on and on with (lame as they may be) personal attacks. :yawn2:



hackenslash wrote: Second, what personal attacks? Show me one.


sandinista wrote:
Hackenslash wrote:Rarely has it been my extreme displeasure not to be able to avoid reading such utterly stupid, flatulent cock.



After fixing the quote for you where you appeared to make Landrew say the above, I can't help but notice that your example of a personal attack is in fact not an example of a personal attack.

Unless you think that Hack was referring to reading Landrew, rather than his posts?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27990
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Evidence ancient aliens really exisited?

#1395  Postby sandinista » May 11, 2012 6:41 am

It's like talking to an adolescent brick wall in here. :wall:
Our struggle is not against actual corrupt individuals, but against those in power in general, against their authority, against the global order and the ideological mystification which sustains it.
User avatar
sandinista
 
Posts: 1289
Age: 47

Country: canaduh
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Evidence ancient aliens really exisited?

#1396  Postby hackenslash » May 11, 2012 6:50 am

How many adolescent brick walls gave you talked to?
User avatar
hackenslash
 
Name: The Other Sweary One
Posts: 21444
Age: 51
Male

Country: Republic of Mancunia
Print view this post

Re: Evidence ancient aliens really exisited?

#1397  Postby Spearthrower » May 11, 2012 6:53 am

sandinista wrote:It's like talking to an adolescent brick wall in here. :wall:



Have you got something worth saying, or are you just practicing your typing?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27990
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Evidence ancient aliens really exisited?

#1398  Postby Dudely » May 11, 2012 1:08 pm

horacerumpole wrote:
I agree -- so, let's focus on the "Evidence ancient aliens really existed."

What do you think that evidence is? What's the best evidence?


There is no evidence.

/Thread
This is what hydrogen atoms do given 15 billion years of evolution- Carl Sagan

Ignorance is slavery- Miles Davis
User avatar
Dudely
 
Posts: 1450

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Evidence ancient aliens really exisited?

#1399  Postby Spearthrower » May 11, 2012 2:28 pm

Dudely wrote:
horacerumpole wrote:
I agree -- so, let's focus on the "Evidence ancient aliens really existed."

What do you think that evidence is? What's the best evidence?


There is no evidence.

/Thread



That is sadly the case.

As much as certain people pretend that skeptics are unreasonable and emotionally motivated to ignore the claims, the simple truth, I think, is that most people here would be absolutely fucking overjoyed to find evidence that removes any doubt about whether we are alone in the universe. I can't think of a single more important discovery - the benefits might not be immediately tangible, but the impact on our consciousness would be huge. No longer alone, no longer engaging the smug pretense that the universe was designed for us, that we are special, privileged beings. It would herald the end of the adolescence of our species, I think. However, as much as I can wish it were true, I can't force myself to simply accept that it is true because it would be nice. Until there's actual evidence corroborating the idea, then it remains a fancy we can choose to indulge in, but we should remain aware that our personal conviction is not a sound platform from which to berate others; that way lies religious fundamentalism.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27990
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Evidence ancient aliens really exisited?

#1400  Postby Nostalgia » May 11, 2012 2:32 pm

sandinista wrote:
MacIver wrote:
Landrew wrote:
MacIver wrote:Yeah, but, that's just, like, your opinion.

Its just another type of trolling; spoiling for fights, using any sort of convoluted rationale, as long as it sounds vaguely rational .


If you think I'm trolling then report me. What I think I'm doing is caricaturing the opinions of some in this thread who have the opinion that all opinions are equal.


because, unfortunately, that is the maximum extent of "discussion" that some members can muster, caricaturing, along with sarcasm. No surprise, of course, this is an internet forum and that is what generally happens. It's an ego game, that's all. Of course not all opinions are equal in the real world. On the internet, forums especially, all opinions do tend to be equal. No one has any credentials, most people use fake names, "evidence" is generally a link to some web page or the ramblings of a keyboard warrior. Besides all of that, people tend to stick with their original position regardless of the discussion. It is very rare to see anyone arguing a different side to agree or even give credit to someone for a decent point. The funny thing, and the entertainment value of forums is seeing people actually take them seriously to the point where it seems like they believe they have "proven" something or "won" an argument. I mean, how many pages has this went on for? For people who claim to not believe in aliens they sure seem to spend a lot of time discussing the topic. :scratch:


You always seem very quick to deride this forum or the internet in general, if you really feel this way then why are you here? When you boil down this particular discussion it pretty much comes down to this: Some people are stating that the "Ancient Alien Theory" is worth considering because of the evidence supporting it, others have stated that there is no evidence. As no one has been able to provide any hard evidence (or any soft evidence for that matter) it seems perfectly logical to me to come to the conclusion that until any real evidence shows itself considering this "theory" as a realistic and a plausible reality is worthless. Then of course people chime in with either the "X=0" bollocks or state that the above assumption is only "your/their opinion". It is an opinion, but it is not ONLY an opinion, because it is one based on logic, evidence (or lack thereof) and scientific scrutiny.

Now, you are quite free to continue your derision by claiming you are entertained by this all in a rather transparent attempt to remove yourself from the very actions and behaviour you try and show yourself to be above of. We could of ended this debate on page 2 if people stopped claiming there was evidence where there is none. Why do those of us who are arguing against the motion proposed bear any more guilt at continuing the discussion than those who are arguing for it? Or is your criticism aimed at everyone in this thread, yourself included? Furthermore I find your statement "for people who claim to not believe in aliens they sure seem to spend a lot of time discussing the topic" to be particularly interesting because that is exactly the argument put forth by some theists in the Theism and Non-Theism subforums: "If you guys don't believe in God then why do you spend so much time talking about Him?"

Not only is this an intellectually dishonest attempt at moving the proverbial goalposts I don't think anyone here has argued against the existence of aliens. That's not that this thread is about and I myself have argued quite fervently that it is my belief that ETs exist in other threads. But this discussion is about whether ETs have ever visited this planet and played a part in our history. The main reason, however, I find your above statement so interesting is because I think those that believe in the "Ancient Alien Theory" share a lot in common with some theists. You said that it was an interesting theory. And I agree, it is interesting. But it is not a theory. It is not even a hypothesis. It is a belief. A belief that helps us think that we are not alone and that there may be some greater purpose to our existence.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
User avatar
Nostalgia
 
Posts: 9266
Age: 35
Male

Country: Earth
Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests