Evidence ancient aliens really exisited?

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Evidence ancient aliens really exisited?

#1401  Postby Spearthrower » May 11, 2012 2:56 pm

MacIver wrote:The main reason, however, I find your above statement so interesting is because I think those that believe in the "Ancient Alien Theory" share a lot in common with some theists.

I'd say 'Creationists' rather than theists. It's a form of reality-denial, but here wish and want is put in place of fact and reason (or scripture and faith, in the Creationist's case).

It bears repeating that: Just because something makes sense, or makes life more interesting, doesn't mean it's actually true.

If there were actually evidence of alien visitation - it would be common knowledge. Archaeologists don't propose alien visitation to explain the construction techniques of ancient civilisations, because those archaeologists know what they're talking about. Just as religious fundies insert their gods into a system they don't understand, new age wooists do it with their favoured mechanism - in this case it works something like: Wow that building's really impressive - I didn't think primitive people could have done something like that - in fact, they probably couldn't, so they must have needed external help, and ooh look! There's a picture of a star on that wall - it must be proof that it was aliens. Perhaps it's just human nature to fill the ignorant blanks with something bigger, more complex, and outside our immediate detection so that our minds don't need to fret that we're ignorant anymore.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#1402  Postby johnbrandt » May 11, 2012 3:04 pm

Funny...and pretty accurate...
"One could spend their life looking for the perfect cherry blossom...and it would not be a wasted life"
johnbrandt

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#1403  Postby Oldskeptic » May 11, 2012 4:26 pm

Ancient aliens took out the dinosaurs with nukes so they wouldn't eat our step on their genetically engineered humans. But some survived to be seen by ancient civilizations so that they could carve them on rocks.

There's even a segment on how carbon dating doesn't work in dating dinosaur bones!

http://www.history.com/shows/ancient-al ... -dinosaurs

I find the "evidence" extremely unconvincing.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#1404  Postby tolman » May 11, 2012 5:29 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Wuffy wrote:I think some people just come here with a pre-canned axe to grind, if I may mix my metaphors? I wouldn't be surprised if Landrew was also a member at RDF.

Seems he's a member at skepticforum, where in this thread he was whining on about 'the scientific method' while apparently understanding fuck-all about it, and berating skeptics for not being real skeptics (like him). Same old, same old.

He also describes how his parked vehicle was hit by a bullet still travelling 'very near the speed of sound' despite being shot by hunters which he knew were 'at least 2 miles away, over the horizon', something he knew despite the fact he never found the people in question as actual evidence of where the mystery bullet came from..

In that thread he pretends to be 'just asking questions', yet seems to have come to all kinds of interim conclusions/speculations (animal 'ESP' is maybe something 'quantum', humans had super senses but they withered away, etc which seem to be no more than wishful thinking).
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#1405  Postby tolman » May 11, 2012 5:37 pm

sandinista wrote:On the internet, forums especially, all opinions do tend to be equal. No one has any credentials, most people use fake names, "evidence" is generally a link to some web page or the ramblings of a keyboard warrior.

So in the absence of appeals to authority, you lack the ability to judge opinions based on the competence with which they are described, or to do research for yourself?
If so, what the hell are you doing here?

sandinista wrote:Besides all of that, people tend to stick with their original position regardless of the discussion. It is very rare to see anyone arguing a different side to agree or even give credit to someone for a decent point.

In this discussion, since no evidence for visitation above the level of 'laughable' seems to have been presented, on what grounds would anyone doubting the past visits of aliens have reason to reduce their doubts?
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#1406  Postby horacerumpole » May 11, 2012 5:41 pm

sandinista wrote:
horacerumpole wrote:I agree -- so, let's focus on the "Evidence ancient aliens really existed."

What do you think that evidence is? What's the best evidence?

:roll: shit man, read the last 60 some pages. WTF? Better yet, if you're so interested read some books on the topic and make up your own mind. As far as I can tell there is no "evidence or proof" otherwise it would be more than a theory. it's an interesting theory as of right now and that's about it. I, personally, have yet to be convinced, but I can see where the theory is coming from.

I have read the 60 some pages, and the folks who are supporting ancient alien theory are not presenting any evidence. A lot of discussion about closed minds, and the Drake Equation isn't evidence. The perceived likelihood of life in the universe isn't evidence, and the Drake Equation is just a list of assumptions.

I posted a bunch of stuff that found in my readings. And, the only ones who really talked about that information were not the ones that support the ancient astronaut theory. I tried to get the ball rolling on discussions, and instead of discussing why supporters of the theory think it's good evidence, they just bang on about how closed minded they think everyone is.

WTF is this "more than theory" and your sentence implying that theories don't have evidence or proof? You sound like a creationist. Theories ARE supported by evidence. That's what make them theories. There is nothing "more than" a theory. If there is "no evidence or proof" than at best it's a hypothesis.

I'm of the same position as you, that there is no evidence or proof. So, that means I don't believe it. It's an interesting hypothesis. I'd like to think that there is other life in the universe, and it certainly is possible, and it's possible that if other life developed space faring technology they visited here in the distant past or are visiting here now. But, like anything else, it's not something to be believe until there is evidence for it. Otherwise, you're stuck believing either in everything, or in select baseless claims for which there is no good reason to believe one and not the other.
"There is not a court in Heaven or Earth...where Horace Rumpole is not ready and willing to appear. On the Day of Judgment I shall probably be up on my hind legs putting a few impertinent questions to the prosecutor."
horacerumpole

Name: Horace Rumpole
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1407  Postby sandinista » May 11, 2012 7:38 pm

Dudely wrote:There is no evidence.

/Thread

...or 71 pages of it :shock: :lol:
Our struggle is not against actual corrupt individuals, but against those in power in general, against their authority, against the global order and the ideological mystification which sustains it.
sandinista

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#1408  Postby Spearthrower » May 11, 2012 8:18 pm

sandinista wrote:

/Thread

If you consider these 71 pages to be evidence for the historical visitation of aliens to Earth, then I can only wonder at your standards of evidence, but it does explain your position and presentation.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#1409  Postby Spearthrower » May 11, 2012 8:22 pm

tolman wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
Wuffy wrote:I think some people just come here with a pre-canned axe to grind, if I may mix my metaphors? I wouldn't be surprised if Landrew was also a member at RDF.

Seems he's a member at skepticforum, where in this thread he was whining on about 'the scientific method' while apparently understanding fuck-all about it, and berating skeptics for not being real skeptics (like him). Same old, same old.

He also describes how his parked vehicle was hit by a bullet still travelling 'very near the speed of sound' despite being shot by hunters which he knew were 'at least 2 miles away, over the horizon', something he knew despite the fact he never found the people in question as actual evidence of where the mystery bullet came from..

In that thread he pretends to be 'just asking questions', yet seems to have come to all kinds of interim conclusions/speculations (animal 'ESP' is maybe something 'quantum', humans had super senses but they withered away, etc which seem to be no more than wishful thinking).

Interesting indeed. The post you link to there just happens to be nigh on identical to Landrew's first post over here. Just as I thought. :roll:

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#1410  Postby tolman » May 12, 2012 9:24 am

Spearthrower wrote:Interesting indeed. The post you link to there just happens to be nigh on identical to Landrew's first post over here. Just as I thought. :roll:

Given that the landrew persona is pretty much a one-trick-pony here, it would be expecting a bit much to think it'd be meaningfully different elsewhere.

I'm interested in what bullets would be expected to be travelling supersonically or transonically after flying over 2 miles.
It must have been a pretty serious hunter.
That landrew never actually saw.
tolman

Print view this post

#1411  Postby Spearthrower » May 12, 2012 12:09 pm

tolman wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:Interesting indeed. The post you link to there just happens to be nigh on identical to Landrew's first post over here. Just as I thought. :roll:

Given that the landrew persona is pretty much a one-trick-pony here, it would be expecting a bit much to think it'd be meaningfully different elsewhere.

I'm interested in what bullets would be expected to be travelling supersonically or transonically after flying over 2 miles.
It must have been a pretty serious hunter.
That landrew never actually saw.

Pfff, it's obviously substantial evidence in favour of animal ESP..... :smoke:

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#1412  Postby Spearthrower » May 12, 2012 12:09 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T69TOuqaqXI[/youtube]

Could've been written for Landrew.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#1413  Postby Nostalgia » May 12, 2012 2:31 pm

:lol:

So.... can we put this thread to bed? :ask:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1414  Postby tolman » May 12, 2012 7:00 pm

MacIver wrote::lol:

Only, I fear, when it is shot in the head by Landrew, with a supersonic bullet, from at least 2miles away.
tolman

Print view this post

#1415  Postby Nixon » May 12, 2012 7:57 pm

It seems like a good idea.

A lot of this reminds me of seeing members of Happy Mondays interviewed a few years back, I've a feeling it may have been one of those "hey kids, remember that Doctor Who?" nostalgiathons produced before they ruined it by bringing it back as Harry Potter. Anyway, somebody thought it would be a great idea to interview men made of drugs to see what they thought, so Bez sat there staring in two directions at once, trying to avoid being distracted by the magic brain wizards growing from the interviewer's head, carefully explaining that time travel was definitely possible because "if you can imagine it, like... then one day they'll be able to do it... you get me?"

This seems to be the level of at least some of the debate on this subject. It doesn't even work as trolling. It's like the sort of thing my kid comes out with, except being eight, he has an excuse and it's usually a lot funnier.
Nixon

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#1416  Postby THWOTH » May 12, 2012 11:54 pm

Nixon wrote:

It seems like a good idea.

A lot of this reminds me of seeing members of Happy Mondays interviewed a few years back, I've a feeling it may have been one of those "hey kids, remember that Doctor Who?" nostalgiathons produced before they ruined it by bringing it back as Harry Potter. Anyway, somebody thought it would be a great idea to interview men made of drugs to see what they thought, so Bez sat there staring in two directions at once, trying to avoid being distracted by the magic brain wizards growing from the interviewer's head, carefully explaining that time travel was definitely possible because "if you can imagine it, like... then one day they'll be able to do it... you get me?"

This seems to be the level of at least some of the debate on this subject. It doesn't even work as trolling. It's like the sort of thing my kid comes out with, except being eight, he has an excuse and it's usually a lot funnier.

I imagine you are correct.

:shifty:
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1417  Postby Dudely » May 17, 2012 6:51 pm

sandinista wrote:

/Thread

Most people have standards. My two year-old banging her hands on the keyboard for 71 pages is no more evidence than "golly it would be such a waste of space" or "the Drake equation says it is virtually inevitable".

The universe doesn't give a shit about waste. It also doesn't give a shit about human assumptions, no matter how much data you feed into those assumptions.

Scientific evidence is information gleaned from the natural world separate from human interference. If you cannot guarantee it is free from bias or outright fraud it is not evidence.
This is what hydrogen atoms do given 15 billion years of evolution- Carl Sagan

Ignorance is slavery- Miles Davis
Dudely

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1418  Postby reddix » Oct 13, 2012 3:31 am

:popcorn: Radio program.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45ddDAuHTaE[/youtube]
reddix
RS Donator

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1419  Postby John P. M. » Oct 20, 2012 1:57 pm

Sorry about 'resurrecting' this monstrosity, but I've just seen this documentary now that seems to be rather new, and which goes through pretty much all the 'evidence' cited by the 'Ancient Aliens' series on the History channel.

This documentary is over three hours long though :shock: , so set it to 720p HD, full screen view, grab a cup of coffee, tea or whatever, sit back and enjoy. :mrgreen:

Some of it was known to me already, but a lot of it was new to me, or explains very vital details that are left out by Däniken and his ilk, who are lying for their beliefs (huh - here too, eh?). The lying, misrepresenting and quote mining is most evident about halfway through the movie, so if you don't want to watch all of it, jump past the first sections about building techniques, to about 1:21:00.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9w-i5oZqaQ[/youtube]
John P. M.
RS Donator

Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#1420  Postby patient zero » Oct 20, 2012 11:45 pm

Cool! I'll be sure to take a look at it after work this weekend.
By the way, the people who put this documentary together have a website for it- http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/
Calilasseia wrote:...WHY DO PROFESSIONAL PROPAGANDISTS FOR CREATIONISM HAVE TO LIE FOR THEIR DOCTRINE?
patient zero

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural