Ghost of the Machine: Sounds in the Paranormal

Time to create a haunted house

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Ghost of the Machine: Sounds in the Paranormal

#1  Postby Sovereign » May 11, 2015 3:48 am

I figured I'd put this here.

Back to ghosts. Studies show that infrasound between 7 and 19 Hertz can cause feelings of fear and panic in humans. Our eardrums pick up these sounds and transmit them to our brain without setting off our auditory sense. To study the effects of these sounds on human organs, researchers from the University of Hetfordshire conducted an experiment where they played music with and without tones of 17 Hertz frequency in the background. When the participants heard (or felt, rather) the music with the 17 Hertz tones, they felt nervous, anxious, and fearful. They also felt pressure on their chests and chills down their spine. These are the feelings that most people describe when they experience a paranormal event. It is suggested by the researchers who conducted these experiments that infrasound (sound below 20 Hz of frequency) is present at supposedly haunted sites. Upon examining the frequencies present at advertised haunted houses, researchers detected several wavelengths of infrasound being emitted. They hypothesize that these frequencies caused feelings of panic and dread among visitors (Sydney Morning Herald).

But what does being in the presence of infrasound have to do with feeling fear, anxiety, and nervousness? It may have something to do with natural sources of infrasound: volcanoes, earthquakes, tiger roars, and strong ocean waves. Our bodies may have evolved to detect the sounds that we cannot hear, and we may have evolved to fear these dangerous sounds.

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2013/06/g ... aranormal/

Edit: I put it in this section since the subject dealt with most of the post here.
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Ghost of the Machine: Sounds in the Paranormal

#2  Postby electricwhiteboy » May 20, 2015 1:14 pm

I've read quite a bit about this, and screwed around with synths and tone generators pumping out noise around that frequency and can confirm that it puts you on edge without really knowing why. It is my favourite theory for explaining various reported "ghostly" phenomena. There are a few tourist attractions I would love to explore in my home town with the right equipment.

It also rather neatly explains a lot of religious experience. Large church organs generate a LOT of sound at that frequency. Couple that with an impressive building with a lot of echo and claim it's the house of God, and it is not surprising people claim to feel the "presence" of the almighty.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#3  Postby felltoearth » May 20, 2015 1:18 pm

How do you generate sounds below 20hz?
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 20, 2015 1:23 pm

You would really need massive speakers especially designed for such low frequencies or use a building like a church.

It could be part of our self preservation system. Hearing earthquakes before they actually come.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5  Postby electricwhiteboy » May 20, 2015 2:18 pm

Bass amp does the trick, and a proper synth you can dial down far enough. Some equipment is deliberately locked to cut these frequencies either prevent damage to the speakers, or you spooking out your neighbours. Church organs have massive pipes for generating that kind of rumble if you pull the right stops out.

Lots of things in an urban environment might kick out infrasound, diesel engines mainly. One of the "haunted" locations in Edinburgh has a busy bus stop directly above the vaulted cellar. It's also surrounded by nightclubs and rock bars with live music. There is also a fairly major power line goes that through there which might add a bit of EMF to the cocktail.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#6  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 20, 2015 2:58 pm

Which close is that?

I know Edinburgh quite well as I was brought up there.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7  Postby electricwhiteboy » May 20, 2015 3:28 pm

Not a close, the Edinburgh Vaults. I've been in a few times and know the layout of the buildings quite well. There are three rock clubs in the immediate area, clubsand a few night clubs. Almost every part of the Vaults will be interconnected or sharing a wall with a venue with a large PA. And that's before you factor in the bus tratraffic.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 20, 2015 3:45 pm

electricwhiteboy wrote:Not a close, the Edinburgh Vaults. I've been in a few times and know the layout of the buildings quite well. There are three rock clubs in the immediate area, clubsand a few night clubs. Almost every part of the Vaults will be interconnected or sharing a wall with a venue with a large PA. And that's before you factor in the bus tratraffic.

Something that has appeared since I left. I remember seeing some posters about haunted Edinburgh a few years ago. Are the vaults in the High Street?

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9  Postby electricwhiteboy » May 20, 2015 3:49 pm

Under South Bridge really, or to be more exact, inside the the South Bridge itself.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#10  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 20, 2015 3:54 pm

electricwhiteboy wrote:Under South Bridge really, or to be more exact, inside the the South Bridge itself.

Ok. Thanks.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#11  Postby laklak » May 20, 2015 4:13 pm

DIY.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-an-Infrasonic-Subwoofer/

I've been thinking about doing this for some time now. Buy a rundown motel, plenty of them up in the panhandle. Come up with gory stories about serial killers, murder and mayhem. Hide one of these puppies in each room. Charge a shitload of money for gullible rubes to stay in a genuine haunted motel.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#12  Postby felltoearth » May 20, 2015 4:27 pm

laklak wrote:DIY.

I've been thinking about doing this for some time now. Buy a rundown motel, plenty of them up in the panhandle. Come up with gory stories about serial killers, murder and mayhem. Hide one of these puppies in each room. Charge a shitload of money for gullible rubes to stay in a genuine haunted motel.

Interesting :cheers:
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 21, 2015 6:52 am

Reminds of the bass woofers made in the '60's by bass players.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#14  Postby electricwhiteboy » May 26, 2015 10:44 am

I once stayed in the "haunted room" of a highland's hotel. I didn't think much of it until the train up when I realised I may not believe in ghosts, but I absolutely believe in banging pipes and freezing cold hotel rooms. Bit chilly but otherwise fine.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#15  Postby quas » Sep 29, 2015 1:05 pm

You are a genius.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby tolman » Oct 01, 2015 5:55 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:It could be part of our self preservation system. Hearing earthquakes before they actually come.

Tsunamis aside, what risk are earthquakes to most outdoor animals, and are tsunamis common enough in recent evolutionary history (especially our solidly African-based history) to be a meaningful selective pressure?
Is infrasound actually much use in predicting earthquakes, or simply in sensing them before a big wave arrives? If the latter, it's presumably limited use for anything local, as detectable ground movement will precede sound.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural