Ghost sightings highest in 25 years

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Ghost sightings highest in 25 years

#1  Postby DoctorE » Apr 26, 2010 12:42 pm

There have been nearly 1,000 reports of demonic activity in the past quarter of a century, with Yorkshire the nation's most ghostly county.

Encounters with devils, demons and evil spirits are as widespread today as they were in medieval times, researchers claim.
The research was led by the UKs leading authority on the unexplained Lionel Fanthorpe who studied various archives and websites as well as his own reports to identify all sightings and recordings of supernatural beings with satanic qualities.

The study found that despite being in time of accelerating technology, 21st century Britons have not turned their back on ghouls, boggarts, hell-hounds, witches, wizards, banshees and black magic curses, with a whopping 968 reports of demonic activity in the past 25 years.

The report indentifies Yorkshire as the centre of ghostly goings-on demonic activity with 74 reports of demons, including Uncabus and Succubus (male and female demons that make sexual attacks on sleeping victims), instances of demonic possession and sightings of hell hounds, water demons and demons with repulsive forms such as ghouls and werewolves.

Continues: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... years.html
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Ghost sightings highest in 25 years

#2  Postby Tbickle » Apr 26, 2010 12:48 pm

Who you gonna call???

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#3  Postby tnjrp » Apr 26, 2010 1:24 pm

Hmm, I think we ought to call Jerome. To corroborate this "number of reports" thingy, that is.

Oh and BTW...
The report indentifies Yorkshire as the centre of ghostly goings-on demonic activity with 74 reports of demons, including Uncabus and Succubus
...it's Incubus.
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Tbickle » Apr 26, 2010 1:34 pm

Yeah, let's call in the experts! They can come in and use their highly scientific equipment to determine if these are actually ghosts and demons. I would do it, but I have not been properly trained to use a tape recorder, a digital camera, and a video camera with night vision mode on it.
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#5  Postby HughMcB » Apr 26, 2010 1:45 pm

^^ :lol:
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6  Postby The_Metatron » Apr 26, 2010 1:56 pm

Tbickle wrote:Yeah, let's call in the experts! They can come in and use their highly scientific equipment to determine if these are actually ghosts and demons. I would do it, but I have not been properly trained to use a tape recorder, a digital camera, and a video camera with night vision mode on it.

Psshaw. No EMF meter. Worthless. I'd never call you.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby jerome » Apr 26, 2010 3:15 pm

Percentage of apparitional experiences reported remains steady since 1894 when Sidgwick et al did the Census of Hallucinations. I see no significant variation in West 1948, Celia Green (1970s), West 1990, Wiseman and Watt 2009 or (me) & Smith 2009. :) I can't being myself to read the article just yet, but I will late tonight when I get in and have more than a 2 minute coffee break on the pc. :)

j x
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
jerome

Name: CJ
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby astrowhiz » Jun 20, 2010 2:01 am

Could the Yorkshire bit be explained by the fact York has a ghost tour every day and employs actors to jump out dressed as ghosts and ghouls to frighten tourists :grin:
Of course Edinburgh does ghost tours too but no self respecting scotsman is gonna admit to being frightened by a dude in a bedsheet.
Maybe Yorkshire should be rebranded Satan's own county. I might be tempted to move back to Leeds if that was the case.
Karl Pilkington's guide to evolution: bacteria, fish, mermaid, man, onwards and what have you
astrowhiz

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Bud's Brain » Jun 20, 2010 5:02 am

I'm disappointed - Surrey isn't on the list. Maybe it's because all the expensive cars and mansions scare the ghosts away? Or maybe it's because towns like Woking are so bloody awful that no self respecting supernatural entity would be seen dead there?

BB
So many Christians, so few lions.
Bud's Brain

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby dionysus » Jun 23, 2010 2:05 pm

Bud's Brain wrote:I'm disappointed - Surrey isn't on the list. Maybe it's because all the expensive cars and mansions scare the ghosts away?

I thought ghosts loved mansions though. At least that part of the ghost mythos makes sense. I mean, if I was an incorporeal being that didn't have to pay taxes I'd live in a mansion. Of course, I'd also hire a human caretaker as ghosts seem to be rather shitty at maintenance and often let their mansions fall into disrepair.
dionysus

Name: Lukasz
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Bathynomus Giganteus » Jun 28, 2010 4:31 pm

Tbickle wrote:Yeah, let's call in the experts! They can come in and use their highly scientific equipment to determine if these are actually ghosts and demons. I would do it, but I have not been properly trained to use a tape recorder, a digital camera, and a video camera with night vision mode on it.

Well, I am an expert, because my wife makes me watch Most Taunted. So I know everything there is to know about Ghost catching technology. The trick is, to face the camera at Yvette Fieldings face and not down the dark corridors where the ghosts are. The ghosts always come out to play, then.
Oh, and make sure you have an entire film crew with you, who can vouch that it wasn't any of them who threw that spoon or made any noises.

If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we would be too simple to understand it.
Bathynomus Giganteus

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Fallible » Jun 28, 2010 4:58 pm

Ah yes, Most Haunted. This is all their fault. Still, she's just announced she's leaving so maybe that'll be the end of that (fat chance, they'll just find someone else. Kerry Katona, perhaps).
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Bathynomus Giganteus » Jun 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Fallible wrote:Ah yes, Most Haunted. This is all their fault. Still, she's just announced she's leaving so maybe that'll be the end of that (fat chance, they'll just find someone else. Kerry Katona, perhaps).

I hope they find someone less annoying. :nono:
If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we would be too simple to understand it.
Bathynomus Giganteus

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Fallible » Jun 28, 2010 5:28 pm

Shouldn't be too difficult. :mrgreen:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Bathynomus Giganteus » Jun 28, 2010 5:29 pm

:mrgreen:
Bathynomus Giganteus

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby jerome » Jun 28, 2010 10:29 pm

Bathynomus Giganteus wrote:

Well, I am an expert, because my wife makes me watch Most Taunted. So I know everything there is to know about Ghost catching technology. The trick is, to face the camera at Yvette Fieldings face and not down the dark corridors where the ghosts are. The ghosts always come out to play, then.
Oh, and make sure you have an entire film crew with you, who can vouch that it wasn't any of them who threw that spoon or made any noises.

I can tell you rather a lot about Most Haunted to. At various points i worked with ANTIX (as a researcher on the show), HanrahanMedia (on Most Haunted Live, also appearing as an expert), with the subsidiary and merchandising company Metrostar (designing a never released Most Haunted boardgame), and later with Richard Felix for some years, and i still say nice things about Derek as a bloke. I never watched many episodes though!

j x
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
jerome

Name: CJ
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Fallible » Jun 28, 2010 10:35 pm

Well go on then.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Matty the Damned » Jun 28, 2010 11:33 pm

Religion controls the weak, stupid and criminal minded in ways that threats of jail or community service cannot.
Matty the Damned
Banned Troll

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19  Postby physalis17 » Jun 28, 2010 11:53 pm

Tbickle wrote:Who you gonna call???

We came, we saw, we kicked its ass! :grin:
"It is clear from the New Testament that they all expected the Second Coming in their own lifetime. And, worse still, they had a reason, and one which you will find very embarrassing. Their Master had told them so."

-C.S. Lewis
physalis17

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural