Ghosts & opinions on my freaky friend

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: Ghosts & opinions on my freaky friend

#21  Postby inkaStepa » Jul 15, 2010 8:50 pm

I'm going to try and prove ghosts exist! I know, riiight, but really if I were to stay in a notorious "haunted" place, and somehow managed to get evidence of a "ghost" how much evidence would I need?

I suppose it would go as follows:
-a witness
-a photograph or video of some sorts
-records that people had indeed lived there

anything else? Even if I did have photographs and video or sound recording, all of these could be disproved
inkaStepa

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#22  Postby petwo » Jul 16, 2010 1:04 am

inkaStepa wrote: but really if I were to stay in a notorious "haunted" place,

Notorious? Then you would already be predisposed to finding one. The expectation is there. Those who claim apparitions dwell within are your witnesses, you wouldn't be there unless they'd already seen ghosts. With your senses heightened, it would be a shame to come out empty-handed but because it is ghosts you seek the photograph, audio or video need not be clear & sharp. A cheap camera, poor lighting, sudden movement, smudgy lens, etc. will give you a chance of obtaining an image of some kind. Any edifice will suffice because at some point humans were once there.... builders, inspectors, buyers, sellers, etc.
I swear I'm an atheist not because I don't believe in God but because I don't believe the people who do.
petwo

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#23  Postby inkaStepa » Jul 16, 2010 1:18 am

True, but I guess what I'm asking is how much evidence is enough evidence in order to prove a ghost exists?
inkaStepa

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby PhiloKGB » Jul 16, 2010 1:37 am

inkaStepa wrote:True, but I guess what I'm asking is how much evidence is enough evidence in order to prove a ghost exists?

I suggest starting with a definition of "exists" that makes sense when coupled with "a ghost."
PhiloKGB

Print view this post

#25  Postby petwo » Jul 16, 2010 1:41 am

inkaStepa wrote:True, but I guess what I'm asking is how much evidence is enough evidence in order to prove a ghost exists?

Ectoplasmic residue? Enough to fill a tanker perhaps?

The only other thing is if you believe ghosts are former lifeforms then dying may be a consideration.
I swear I'm an atheist not because I don't believe in God but because I don't believe the people who do.
petwo

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#26  Postby jerome » Jul 16, 2010 1:44 am

I've spent twenty years investigating hauntings inkastep. I know the debate is a bit long and tedious - but you might want to play with my experimental set up -- a couple of posts from the bottom -- formal-debates/formal-debate-existence-of-ghosts-apparitions-t6927.html The last post deal swith two bits of rather intriguing recent research...

My blog (linked in my sig) has a lot of stuff on paranormal investigation - hit the paranormal category. And do pm me if you want to chat :)

take care x
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
jerome

Name: CJ
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#27  Postby xrayzed » Jul 16, 2010 2:23 am

petwo wrote:My favorite ghosts are the inanimate ones, like the Flying Dutchman" Yet even that one was seen for the last time about 60 years ago after a pretty good run. Just fizzled out like animate ghosts I guess.

Not true. He still makes regular appearances on Spongebob Squarepants:

A thinking creationist is an oxymoron. A non-thinking creationist is just a moron.
(Source: johannessiig, here)
xrayzed

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#28  Postby petwo » Jul 16, 2010 3:07 am

xrayzed wrote:
petwo wrote:My favorite ghosts are the inanimate ones, like the Flying Dutchman" Yet even that one was seen for the last time about 60 years ago after a pretty good run. Just fizzled out like animate ghosts I guess.

The Flying Dutchman was a boat, when did it morph into this computer generated genie-like version of Blackbeard the Pirate?
petwo

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#29  Postby xrayzed » Jul 16, 2010 3:28 am

petwo wrote:
xrayzed wrote:

The Flying Dutchman was a boat, when did it morph into this computer generated genie-like version of Blackbeard the Pirate?

In 1999, Series One of Spongebob Squarepants, in the episode Scaredy Pants/I Was a Teen-age Gary

Yes, the Flying Dutchman was a boat. Even more bizarrely the character isn't even Dutch. :shock:

Oddly enough the writer's didn't care when they were appropriating the name, probably because they were writing a children's cartoon, not a documentary. :wink:
A thinking creationist is an oxymoron. A non-thinking creationist is just a moron.
(Source: johannessiig, here)
xrayzed

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#30  Postby paceetrate » Jul 16, 2010 3:38 am

inkaStepa wrote:I'm going to try and prove ghosts exist! I know, riiight, but really if I were to stay in a notorious "haunted" place, and somehow managed to get evidence of a "ghost" how much evidence would I need?

I suppose it would go as follows:
-a witness
-a photograph or video of some sorts
-records that people had indeed lived there

anything else? Even if I did have photographs and video or sound recording, all of these could be disproved

You're not going to be able to prove anything by posting it to us on the internet. :P All of the above are too easily faked, or at least mistaken, and the records don't mean much anyway.

Feel free to post photos though. As someone with a good bit of photography experience, as well as having been a professional Photoshop-er, I will be glad to chew on them. :plot:
paceetrate

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural