Have you experienced a ghost?

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Have you experienced a ghost?

#1  Postby jerome » Nov 02, 2010 1:45 pm

Ok this question comes up from time to time, but my girlfriend is doing a PhD study on the phenomenology of apparitional experience, and while rather dry her website survey* is now being trialled by her, so we are looking for people who would answer positively to this question, and RAtSkep seemed as good a place as any to find some ;) (I'll try the JREF as well).

If you would answer positively to this question, and were NOT "ghosthunting" at the time, and have time to fill in th survey she would be grateful. You can say Jerome sent you if you want.

Have you ever (when fully awake and unaffected by illness, alcohol or drugs) had an experience of seeing something or someone, or of hearing a voice, when there was no ordinary cause for it that you could find?

then click here and fill it in - http://www.strangesurvey.com

Cheers! Jerome & Becky (and lord I look awful in that photo!)

j x

* one has to do these things according to strict criteria, and in this case as a pseudo-replication follow the original 1894 study!
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
jerome

Name: CJ
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Have you experienced a ghost?

#2  Postby chairman bill » Nov 02, 2010 1:47 pm

Is that out-of-focus look due to some ghostly apparition twixt camera & subjects?
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby jerome » Nov 02, 2010 1:48 pm

Nah, too much champagne at my parents diamond wedding anniversary! (and the need to save you lot form the full horror of my ugly mug!)

j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Animavore » Nov 02, 2010 1:50 pm

When I was a child, early one morning, I heard a woman's voice call my name twice. It sounded spooky. Could've been my ma calling out in her sleep.

On the day of my Granny's funeral I saw my Granny standing at the top of the stairs. A bit harder to explain.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5  Postby jerome » Nov 02, 2010 2:03 pm

Animavore wrote:When I was a child, early one morning, I heard a woman's voice call my name twice. It sounded spooky. Could've been my ma calling out in her sleep.

On the day of my Granny's funeral I saw my Granny standing at the top of the stairs. A bit harder to explain.

Well ultimately she is looking at the experience, or rather your memory of the experince, not trrying to prove the ghost, so I'm sure she would be fascinated! And it's an experience i can relate to - http://www.rationalskepticism.org/gener ... er#p424727

:cheers:

j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Paul G » Nov 02, 2010 2:08 pm

Have you ever (when fully awake and unaffected by illness, alcohol or drugs) had an experience of seeing something or someone, or of hearing a voice, when there was no ordinary cause for it that you could find?

There's a flaw in this question Jerome, you can see things without being under the influence of illness or drugs.
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Animavore » Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

jerome wrote:
Animavore wrote:When I was a child, early one morning, I heard a woman's voice call my name twice. It sounded spooky. Could've been my ma calling out in her sleep.

Well ultimately she is looking at the experience, or rather your memory of the experince, not trrying to prove the ghost, so I'm sure she would be fascinated! And it's an experience i can relate to - http://www.rationalskepticism.org/gener ... er#p424727

:cheers:

j x

I wasn't terrified by my experience though. I barely even cared about it. Didn't even mention it to anyone because they would've told me not to be so silly. I just shrugged it off as my eyes playing tricks on me.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby twistor59 » Nov 02, 2010 2:12 pm

ANIMAVVOOooooooooore
ANIMAVVOOooooooooore
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby jerome » Nov 02, 2010 2:14 pm

Paul G wrote:Have you ever (when fully awake and unaffected by illness, alcohol or drugs) had an experience of seeing something or someone, or of hearing a voice, when there was no ordinary cause for it that you could find?

There's a flaw in this question Jerome, you can see things without being under the influence of illness or drugs.

Yes, thats pretty much the point. The idea is to exclude what are sometimes termed "pseudo-hallucinaions", thought that phrase is now really used in so many differing way as to be useless, but hallucinations when you relise you are hallucinating and know why... :)

j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby jerome » Nov 02, 2010 2:15 pm

Animavore wrote:

I wasn't terrified by my experience though. I barely even cared about it. Didn't even mention it to anyone because they would've told me not to be so silly. I just shrugged it off as my eyes playing tricks on me.

Thats cos you are sensible, and were perhaps not as utterly emotionally f*cked as I was I suspect. I was completely terrified- by a mop :(

j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby bdcarlitosway » Nov 02, 2010 3:53 pm

One time around 1998 I was in my room studying english with the door shut. I looked at the door knob for some reason (must of heard a noise) and saw it turn and go back to its original position. I thought somebody wanted to come in and thought about it twice. I went out a while later, asked my mom if she wanted to enter and she said no.

I go back to my room again, close the door going back with my studies, this time with my eyes on the door knob. A few moments later it moves again and I pop out of the bed running towards the door, open it just to discover nobody there.

Safe to say I kept studying with my door open. :shifty:
Life becomes much easier when you master the skill of farting silently
bdcarlitosway

Male

Guatemala (gt)
Print view this post

#12  Postby natselrox » Nov 02, 2010 3:54 pm

:popcorn:

I love ghost stories! :grin:
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#13  Postby jerome » Nov 02, 2010 3:58 pm

bdcarlitosway wrote:One time around 1998 I was in my room studying english with the door shut. I looked at the door knob for some reason (must of heard a noise) and saw it turn and go back to its original position. I thought somebody wanted to come in and thought about it twice. I went out a while later, asked my mom if she wanted to enter and she said no.

I go back to my room again, close the door going back with my studies, this time with my eyes on the door knob. A few moments later it moves again and I pop out of the bed running towards the door, open it just to discover nobody there.

Thats excellent! The door know behaved normally after that? Woukld be great if you could fill in her survey - http://www.thehauntingexperience.com/survey/ Although it looks huge, and realy long, you can just fill in the relevant bits in as much detail as you have time? This kind of minor, just odd experience is exactly the kind of thing that fascinates me. Did you ever find cause?

j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Denny » Nov 02, 2010 4:34 pm

There is a professor in front of a classroom and he has gathered students who have had experiences with ghosts.

There's 50 students in the class.

The professor asks, "Who here has felt the presence of a ghost?"

*everyone raises their hand*

"Who here has seen a ghost?"

*half raise their hand*

"Who here has touched a ghost?"

*a handful of people raise their hand*

"...Who... Here... has ever had a SEXUAL encounter with a ghost???"

*One guy in the back raises his hand*

The professor is stunned. "Come up here, son."

The guy walks to the front of the class and faces the students.

The professor says, "Ok class... this student is going to describe what it is like having a sexual encounter with a ghost."

The guy says, "Ghosts?! Ah shit! I thought you said GOATS!"
The world is in exigent need of education.
Denny

Name: Denny
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby The_Metatron » Nov 02, 2010 4:56 pm

I know dick about creating surveys. But, and I said so on the survey, this one makes no provision whatsoever for those of us who claim no such experiences.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby bdcarlitosway » Nov 02, 2010 5:08 pm

jerome wrote:
bdcarlitosway wrote:One time around 1998 I was in my room studying english with the door shut. I looked at the door knob for some reason (must of heard a noise) and saw it turn and go back to its original position. I thought somebody wanted to come in and thought about it twice. I went out a while later, asked my mom if she wanted to enter and she said no.

Thats excellent! The door know behaved normally after that? Woukld be great if you could fill in her survey - http://www.thehauntingexperience.com/survey/ Although it looks huge, and realy long, you can just fill in the relevant bits in as much detail as you have time? This kind of minor, just odd experience is exactly the kind of thing that fascinates me. Did you ever find cause?

j x

It wasnt until recently when I just attributed it to a hallucination as apparently they are quite common among normal people.

"We think of hallucinations as the hallmark of mental illness and they are--but they are also shockingly common in people with absolutely no mental problems at all. It may happen once, and never happen again. And once more, some of you who are reading this have experienced it, whether you know it or not."

"But it is known that such hallucinations can include seeing animals or even inanimate objects. In other words, there's a chance you have had a hallucination and to this day don't realize the object was never actually there."

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article/199_5-ho ... z148qA325U

@Natselrox I used to love ghost stories back when I was a theist. Now that Im an immoral baby eating heathen, ghost stories have been ruined for me because now I just try to debunk them from every angle I can.

My atheism spoiled ghost stories so to say.
Life becomes much easier when you master the skill of farting silently
bdcarlitosway

Male

Guatemala (gt)
Print view this post

#17  Postby HughMcB » Nov 02, 2010 5:11 pm

jerome wrote:Have you ever (when fully awake and unaffected by illness, alcohol or drugs) had an experience of seeing something or someone, or of hearing a voice, when there was no ordinary cause for it that you could find?!

See we would have to define what we consider "ordinary". I mean to me, the idea that my brain may process random distorted acoustics into legible voices is not in the least bit out of the ordinary, however to others, I imagine it very much is. The same can be applied to visual apparitions.
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#18  Postby jerome » Nov 02, 2010 5:12 pm

The_Metatron wrote:I know dick about creating surveys. But, and I said so on the survey, this one makes no provision whatsoever for those of us who claim no such experiences.

Absolutely! It's intentionaly so; she is using Grounded Theory, where you target a selected population. It would be an appalling methodology to try and get data on what percentage of people experience these things - though people have used it thusly in the past - instead, she is looking specifically for people who have had these experiences, to look for phenomenological characteristics.

j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby notself » Nov 02, 2010 5:16 pm

I heard a woman's voice while scuba diving. She was inviting me to swim down to the next level of coral. I was at 100 ft already and as I started down, I realized the voice was nitrogen narcosis. Not quite a ghost, but an experience I will always remember.
There never was, there never will be, nor is there now, a person who is wholly blamed or wholly praised. ---Dhp 228
notself

Print view this post

#20  Postby Ironclad » Nov 02, 2010 5:40 pm

I was a little lad when my Grandpappy took me to Corfe Castle.
Just inside the main body of the castle there is a small opening to the right-hand tower, if I remember correctly it is around 3 feet high by 5-6 wide. I crept under this opening to see the ruins from another angle. Standing at the back of this tower area was a woman, she was wearing medieval style dress - long sleeved dress and lace bonnet. Odd thing was that all her clothes were pale white as was her skin (!!!), she looked at me but didn't move.
I shit myself and ran back to my granddad in a sweat.
I still wonder about it and can picture the woman well. But I tell myself it was either a dummy or an actor on a fag break... perhaps.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural