Is this a bad plan?

trying to prove ghosts...

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Is this a bad plan?

#21  Postby jerome » Nov 30, 2010 3:43 pm

John P. M. wrote:-Why do "ghosts" only seem to come out at night, and why are we so "brainwashed" that this is supposed to be the case that we take it for granted?
I mean - I understand the rational / non-believing reason, but what is the 'woo' -reason that ghosts are usually seen at night?

They don't. Apparitional experiences can occur at any time of day or night, and i'll give you some figures in a moment. Sunchime could probably tell you more based on her research, but she is too ill to do anything but play Winter Bells at the moment! :(

j x
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
jerome

Name: CJ
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby babel » Nov 30, 2010 3:45 pm

jerome wrote:
John P. M. wrote:-Why do "ghosts" only seem to come out at night, and why are we so "brainwashed" that this is supposed to be the case that we take it for granted?
I mean - I understand the rational / non-believing reason, but what is the 'woo' -reason that ghosts are usually seen at night?

They don't. Apparitional experiences can occur at any time of day or night, and i'll give you some figures in a moment. Sunchime could probably tell you more based on her research, but she is too ill to do anything but play Winter Bells at the moment! :(

j x
That's one way to take her record back. :lol:
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#23  Postby jerome » Nov 30, 2010 3:47 pm

babel wrote: That's one way to take her record back. :lol:

Yeah, she only signed up so people would know I did not get that score I suspect! :)

j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby jerome » Nov 30, 2010 4:21 pm

OK, I looked at a study by Sunchime from 2009, and ran a quick analysis of the data. 36.1% of the apparitional experiences reported occurred in daytime. :) She can probably provide much more detailed analysis from her PhD data, but she is still collecting accounts for that - www.strangesurvey.com

j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#25  Postby inkaStepa » Dec 01, 2010 5:08 pm

I mean dangerous as in our physical safety- not in respect to the "ghosts." Oh and Viraldi I meant that I prefer a photograph- not some hallucination!! I'll post pcitures if I see anything or speak to anything!
inkaStepa

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Viraldi » Dec 01, 2010 6:08 pm

Sweet. Pictures including inkaStepa, I presume? ;)
AE wrote:“The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can change this.”
Viraldi

Philippines (ph)
Print view this post

#27  Postby inkaStepa » Dec 08, 2010 4:29 pm

UPDATE: So to be brief,

NOTHING HAPPENED. I'm blaming it on the weather because it was 40 degrees outside so I wasn't even focusing on the ghosts that might have been trying to scare us. My camera broke (must have been the all those curses) but a limping deer did manage to fool us into thinking there was a murderer on our trail for about 5 good minutes. I was creeped out when we were in the cemetary though and was hoping something interesting would happen but...nothing.
inkaStepa

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Animavore » Dec 08, 2010 4:33 pm

Poo! I was really looking forward to evidence.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#29  Postby jerome » Dec 08, 2010 5:55 pm

inkaStepa wrote:UPDATE: So to be brief,

NOTHING HAPPENED. I'm blaming it on the weather because it was 40 degrees outside so I wasn't even focusing on the ghosts that might have been trying to scare us. My camera broke (must have been the all those curses) but a limping deer did manage to fool us into thinking there was a murderer on our trail for about 5 good minutes. I was creeped out when we were in the cemetary though and was hoping something interesting would happen but...nothing.

That was pretty much the story with my ghost hunt on Saturday night inkaStepa :) I had the advantage of a nice warm hotel though! :) To be fair, it's what almost every ghost hunt s like I find.

j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Blip » Dec 08, 2010 6:07 pm

inkaStepa wrote:My other two friends are devout atheists

I hope it will not be considered condescending if I point out this bijou contradiction in terms.

inkaStepa wrote:a limping deer did manage to fool us into thinking there was a murderer on our trail for about 5 good minutes.

Have you notified an animal welfare organisation? I hope so...
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#31  Postby tnjrp » Dec 09, 2010 7:49 am

inkaStepa wrote:UPDATE: So to be brief,

NOTHING HAPPENED
Can't say I'm very surprised :smug:

Better luck next time, maybe...
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Animavore » Dec 09, 2010 10:39 am

What I don't get is why only certain, really dark and rundown places or graveyards get ghosts. Why aren't they every where? It sounds, to me, almost as ridiculous as the claim that some places are more holy than others. Why do I have to go all the way to Lourdes or Mecca to receive blessings? They doesn't the water in my toilet have the same healing properties and why aren't there ghosts in my sitting room? :lay:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#33  Postby tnjrp » Dec 09, 2010 10:55 am

How does it knows there aren't, Preciousss...?

I'm sure Jerome can come up with numbers as to how many apparitions/ghost phenomena actually take place in dark, rundown places, graveyards & the like. However one might come up with some ad hoc explanations as to why they seem to prefer certain places, such as graveyards.
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#34  Postby John P. M. » Dec 09, 2010 3:11 pm

I don't know... I've worked at a hospital for well over fifteen years, with frequent trips to the morgue, but I've never had any 'experiences' there. If any place should 'produce' ghosts, it would be a hospital, what with all the tragic stories and premature (as in not of old age) deaths there (obviously depending on what one reckons ghosts to be).
John P. M.
RS Donator

Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#35  Postby jerome » Dec 09, 2010 3:21 pm

John P. M. wrote:I don't know... I've worked at a hospital for well over fifteen years, with frequent trips to the morgue, but I've never had any 'experiences' there. If any place should 'produce' ghosts, it would be a hospital, what with all the tragic stories and premature (as in not of old age) deaths there (obviously depending on what one reckons ghosts to be).

My uncle worked for foty years in a hospital morgue, with never a ghost in sight. His ghost experience took place when he was a boy delivering leaflets - actually it's here -- http://jerome23.wordpress.com/2009/05/1 ... ost-story/ He was Edward Bentley.

j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby Blip » Dec 09, 2010 4:31 pm

I have only had one ghost experience. My OH and I were staying at an old coaching inn in the Cotswolds and, during a conversation with the barkeeper, he told us that our room was haunted. I scoffed. He insisted that a former innkeeper was reputed to roam the wing in which we were to spend the night. I scoffed some more.

Later that night, as we were retiring, we heard the unmistakeable sounds of heavy keys being ominously rattled in the corridor outside the room. My OH looked alarmed. I leapt from the bed, ran to the door and threw it open...

...to see the barkeeper sneaking off down the corridor with a large bunch of keys in his hand.

I haven't let OH live his timidity down, as you can well imagine. :rofl: As for the barkeeper, he caught the sharp edge of my tongue, as we say, the next evening.
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#37  Postby jerome » Dec 09, 2010 6:03 pm

Animavore wrote:What I don't get is why only certain, really dark and rundown places or graveyards get ghosts. Why aren't they every where? It sounds, to me, almost as ridiculous as the claim that some places are more holy than others. Why do I have to go all the way to Lourdes or Mecca to receive blessings? They doesn't the water in my toilet have the same healing properties and why aren't there ghosts in my sitting room? :lay:

OK, here goes, as tnjrp stated I would, from the 2009 study by Sunchime. I did the calcualtions myself from the research database, so if maths is iffy, blame me - this was her pre-PhD work, I don't have access to the data from that.

36.1% experiences were reported as occurring in day time.

16.2 % experiences reported occurred outside
70.5% of experiences reported when at home.
29.5% when not at home (23% of those while in a car). Other locations very varied - a training course workshop, a park bench, two in church, a fashion show, and so forth. Only one - a burial mound overlooking Bristol - met the "spooky" criteria.

Of the experiences reported at home 52.7% occurred in the bedroom; 11.1% on the stairs, 8% in the kitchen, 5.5% in the Dining Room , and 5% in the Garden or Living Room. Other locations in the house get only one mention: curiously no one reprted an experience in the loo or bathroom.

I was mildly surprised when running these stats to note the number of hallucinations/spooks/whatever associated with staircases. I'll have look at the data on that now -- ok, one person reports being "pushed down the stairs", which is not really very convincing - it's part fo a wider description of their experiences, and voices shouting down the stairs at them, etc - but all of the others are visual apparitions. That is surprising, given only 41.3% of the cases looked at were primarily visual in terms of sense modality. There might be some room for a further study here (back in 1990 I wrote a paper on Corridors and their role in "hauntings", suggesting corridors were somehow effecting our pereptions in a way that denotes eeriness etc, and makes people susceptible to such experiences. I might dig it out!)

Anyway from my research, inkaStepa woud be better off staying at home in bed in the warm to see a "ghost"!:) and tnjrp, I hope i lived up to your expectations.

Oh and as always, if you have had a experience like this, please help Sunchime's PhD research by completing the survey at http://www.strangesurvey.com
j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#38  Postby John P. M. » Dec 09, 2010 6:13 pm

jerome wrote:
John P. M. wrote:I don't know... I've worked at a hospital for well over fifteen years, with frequent trips to the morgue, but I've never had any 'experiences' there. If any place should 'produce' ghosts, it would be a hospital, what with all the tragic stories and premature (as in not of old age) deaths there (obviously depending on what one reckons ghosts to be).

My uncle worked for foty years in a hospital morgue, with never a ghost in sight.

Which makes sense if 'ghosts' are some kind of natural phenomenon (either inside our brain, something that affects our brain, or some... spacetime anomaly), but not so much if one goes by the "restless souls" explanation. Or what say you?
John P. M.
RS Donator

Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#39  Postby jerome » Dec 09, 2010 7:34 pm

John P. M. wrote:
jerome wrote:

My uncle worked for foty years in a hospital morgue, with never a ghost in sight.

Which makes sense if 'ghosts' are some kind of natural phenomenon (either inside our brain, something that affects our brain, or some... spacetime anomaly), but not so much if one goes by the "restless souls" explanation. Or what say you?

Yes, that does. Though logically not many people die in morgues! ( >0, but still few!) Still if place of death was the issue, then we would have hospitals rammed full of ghosts -- it would all get a bit like this --

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WVP0MXIIdU[/youtube]

:)

j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#40  Postby jerome » Dec 09, 2010 7:38 pm

Blip wrote:I have only had one ghost experience. My OH and I were staying at an old coaching inn in the Cotswolds and, during a conversation with the barkeeper, he told us that our room was haunted. I scoffed. He insisted that a former innkeeper was reputed to roam the wing in which we were to spend the night. I scoffed some more.

Ah, well I haunt plenty of Cotswolds hotels! :) (I live down there, well in Cheltenham). Still at least he did not deliberately wind you up! :)

j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural