Is this a bad plan?

trying to prove ghosts...

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Is this a bad plan?

#1  Postby inkaStepa » Nov 27, 2010 12:21 am

Two of my close friends have recently been talking about how they (like myself) don't believe in a god. Our other friend Casey is throroughly pissed and decided we should all spend a night in a certain place where people say they see ghosts. She says if we see one and take a picure (to prove we weren't hallucinating) we'll know there is something beyond death. I said maybe if we talk to one and they tell us that they are in fact a ghost/life exists beyond the grave then maybe it's true- or the "ghost" could be lying... :dunno:

I'd love to hear your opinions on what I should do...thanks.
inkaStepa

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Is this a bad plan?

#2  Postby Viraldi » Nov 27, 2010 12:25 am

Has Casey actually portrayed a good representation of a ghost? If not, she might as well misrepresent dust particles in the midst of the air as ghostly entities of some sort. Ambiguity has, in my experience, been a good horror opening. If perchance Casey starts talking to one (or claims to) and responds, whereas neither of your other friends do, I find it a little coincidental that in her mind she`s already conditioned to believe they`re real and claims to say the ghost is claiming to be real. If it`s safe, I wouldn`t hesitate to go on with the investigation.
AE wrote:“The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can change this.”
Viraldi

Philippines (ph)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Animavore » Nov 27, 2010 12:34 am

ghosts don't prove god.
anyway, i spent many njghts in 'haunted houses' with friends and all i've ever seen are a bunch of people scaring themselves and jumping at noises.
if you're with 2 level headed people nothing like that will happen. do it for the laugh and take photos of yourselves clearly under sheets and make a mockery of the whole thing
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Animavore » Nov 27, 2010 12:38 am

oh wait, i read it wrong, she's going with you.
go ahead and do it. are you afraid a ghost will appear?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5  Postby inkaStepa » Nov 27, 2010 1:35 am

Animavore wrote:oh wait, i read it wrong, she's going with you.
go ahead and do it. are you afraid a ghost will appear?

I'm afraid I might hallucinate and see something even worse than a ghost. If I do see something I'll probably be too scared to take a picture of it anyway (or bother trying to converse with it and I know that none of my friends will be brave enough to either). I've never heard of a ghost/demon/dead living thing kill someone though so there really isn't anything to be fearful of.
inkaStepa

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Viraldi » Nov 27, 2010 1:41 am

If it`s a serious rendezvous with your friends, I would request supervision, if not I have a few suspicions of why it`s only recurring to Casey overnight. I wished I could partake in this little endeavour, sounds enthralling to say the least. Anyway, if it is the latter, be prepared by packing a few things that would relieve you from any physical harm. Also, where exactly is this certain place in which people see ghosts?
AE wrote:“The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can change this.”
Viraldi

Philippines (ph)
Print view this post

#7  Postby inkaStepa » Nov 27, 2010 2:12 am

It's a mansion (really a historical site) with an abandoned graveyard just behind it. Casey wants to camp out in the woods that separate the two. It's definately dangerous but it's a risk I'm willing to take. We plan to camp out next Saturday but I doubt we'll end up spending the night. My one concern (aside from the safety factor) is that if I see something and it doesn't show up in a picture that I will believe my own hallucination because it's so "real." I only mention it because it happened to my brother- he took a picture of what he claims was a ghost right in front of him but nothing is in the picture except an empty room. I also hope I don't go insane.
inkaStepa

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Viraldi » Nov 27, 2010 3:07 am

I guess that`s the difference between the two of us, the bit on preferring a hallucination over photographic evidence. Though, you`re as likely to detect a ghost or whatever disembodied spirit of a corpse from said abandoned graveyard with a camera as you are to get the truth out of houseplant`s perception (debunked Backster`s effect) through a polygraph. If your brother can`t or anyone else reproduce the same experience by cowering away from it, most paranormal believers will then find this ambiguous element from said event as a token of verisimilitude of their paranormal experience, thus conditioned to believe it rather than note it as a collective hallucination.
Viraldi

Philippines (ph)
Print view this post

#9  Postby jerome » Nov 29, 2010 12:02 am

Hey have fun and tell us what happened! :) Be careful though, old ruined mansions are often dangerous, and loonies more so. So be careful! I hope you see something!

j x
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
jerome

Name: CJ
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby jerome » Nov 29, 2010 12:04 am

Oh and my advice for ghosthunters :) http://jerome23.wordpress.com/2009/05/2 ... art-three/

j x
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
jerome

Name: CJ
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Think Floyd » Nov 29, 2010 1:35 am

Slip her some lsd-infused cookies when you're there and watch the magic unfold.
chairman bill wrote:
Unbridled capitalism is a scary & destructive beast. So long as society acts to tame & control it, it works quite well.
Think Floyd

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Dogmatic Pyrrhonist » Nov 29, 2010 5:04 am

jerome wrote:Oh and my advice for ghosthunters :) http://jerome23.wordpress.com/2009/05/2 ... art-three/

j x

In that list, I'd suggest only half of the test subjects read anything about the history and existing ghost stories. And seeing as the more susceptible persons attending have probably already read all sorts of crap about the place, I'd recommend against following up on any history.
The reason? Suggestion. Essentially the same reason UFO abductees all hallucinate the same types of aliens. If the idea is in your head, it's far more likely to manifest as images/memories that fit the pre-existing patterns.

When you're looking through photos, be aware of possible flash anomalies and other aspects of photography that can cause strange looking images.

Also, be aware that hysteria really is infectious. Horror movies depend on it.

other than all that crap, you've nothing to worry about, except to keep to evidence, and corroboration.
Dogmatic Pyrrhonist
AKA https://plus.google.com/u/0/105518842266362138077/about (google has decided my name isn't a 'real' name)

Dogmatic Pyrrhonist

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#13  Postby paceetrate » Nov 29, 2010 8:42 am

Whatever you do, if you do take photos, make sure you actually understand how your camera works. Because I will be sorely tempted to come after you and beat you upside the head with a Photography 101 book if you post a flash reflection or a double exposure and call it a ghost.
paceetrate

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby tnjrp » Nov 29, 2010 9:06 am

inkaStepa wrote:Two of my close friends have recently been talking about how they (like myself) don't believe in a god. Our other friend Casey is throroughly pissed and decided we should all spend a night in a certain place where people say they see ghosts. She says if we see one and take a picure (to prove we weren't hallucinating) we'll know there is something beyond death
There was a thread about how going to a haunted house was "the ultimate test of atheism" back on the bygone RDF too. I think it's not because
  1. you can believe in ghosts and afterlife without necessarily believing in gods and in any case ghost phenomena don't necessarily imply afterlife anyway (tho theists like to hope for "a domino effect" happening of course)
  2. being scared in the dark places of the world is more a test of atavism than of atheism
Anyway, it's not really my place to tell you what to do but I personally might go and might be so scared of the dark I might see "a ghost" even, but I strongly doubt I could catch a convincing one on camera :)
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#15  Postby inkaStepa » Nov 29, 2010 5:39 pm

Ok wow thanks everyone for helping me out with this! I don't know anything about the mansion and we're purposely not delving into it so we don't have expectations for certain things. We all agreed that Casey won't be coming with us because we don't trust that she won't try to manipulate the scenario. My other two friends are devoute atheists- one of which is already packing things like voodoo dolls, satanic pendants, etc. to "lure the ghosts." He's supposed to be putting a "curse" on us later today too lol.
inkaStepa

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby paceetrate » Nov 29, 2010 8:31 pm

Well, sounds like you're in good company then, so have fun. Make sure you take a first-aid kit just in case someone stumbles or steps on something. :)
paceetrate

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Wuffy » Nov 30, 2010 2:07 pm

This sounds awesome.

Tell us how it went.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#18  Postby babel » Nov 30, 2010 2:23 pm

inkaStepa wrote:It's a mansion (really a historical site) with an abandoned graveyard just behind it. Casey wants to camp out in the woods that separate the two. It's definately dangerous but it's a risk I'm willing to take.
Dangerous? Any wild animals or criminal activities around? Or were you referring to possible ghosts?
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#19  Postby John P. M. » Nov 30, 2010 3:31 pm

-Why do "ghosts" only seem to come out at night, and why are we so "brainwashed" that this is supposed to be the case that we take it for granted?
I mean - I understand the rational / non-believing reason, but what is the 'woo' -reason that ghosts are usually seen at night?
John P. M.
RS Donator

Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#20  Postby babel » Nov 30, 2010 3:37 pm

John P. M. wrote:-Why do "ghosts" only seem to come out at night, and why are we so "brainwashed" that this is supposed to be the case that we take it for granted?
I mean - I understand the rational / non-believing reason, but what is the 'woo' -reason that ghosts are usually seen at night?

They might be around during the day, but you can't see them because there's too much light around? :dunno:
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural