List 3 Coincidences You Know Of (For Debunking?)

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: List 3 Coincidences You Know Of (For Debunking?)

#41  Postby Animavore » Apr 10, 2010 4:41 pm

When I was a puppy my granny died. This was in 1990, just after the World Cup. After the funeral I looked up the stairs and saw my Granny standing up there. I looked away and then, remembering she was dead, looked back, shocked. She was gone.
About 6 or 7 years after this I was telling my sister this, her went pale and before I finished I knew what she was going to say.

"The same thing happened to me".
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#42  Postby iamthereforeithink » Apr 10, 2010 4:50 pm

Animavore wrote:When I was a puppy my granny died. This was in 1990, just after the World Cup. After the funeral I looked up the stairs and saw my Granny standing up there. I looked away and then, remembering she was dead, looked back, shocked. She was gone.
About 6 or 7 years after this I was telling my sister this, her went pale and before I finished I knew what she was going to say.

"The same thing happened to me".

Wow! That must have been really unsettling.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
iamthereforeithink

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Someone » Apr 12, 2010 2:44 am

As coincidences go, it is rather weak I'm guessing. Whether it is or not , the debunking question does have to do with coincidence-level more than anything. I'm not sure I phrased the question right in the OP. Obviously, there is little debunking to be done with statements of the witnessing sort done over the internet that have to do with plausible experiences of a mental sort, if you get what I'm driving at. As far as whether it is believable that Animavore and his sis saw a real ghost as it's understood, that would be unlikely in my opinion, but we all have them. It certainly seems to make more sense even were there to be some creative force for, with, and around us, that such an apparition would be phony rather than the continuation of granny's life, though it may be a comfort to think otherwise at times for probably most people.
Proper name: Toon Pine M Brown ---- AM I A WOMAN or working intimately on medical ethics?! No Period, No Say About Certain Things. Is my social philosophy. Everyone has a Hell here, so why add one to the mix if you don't need?
Someone
Banned User

Name: James

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

#44  Postby EnlightningLinZ » Jun 17, 2010 7:43 pm

There was a RadioLab episode on randomness, and they told one cool story about a girl in England somewhere who attached a note to a balloon (essentially looking for a pen pal), and she released it. It ended up with a girl who was the same age, had the same first and last name, and looked very similar. They also had a lot more in common and became best friends. Of course once they looked into it more the coincidences didn't seem as compelling, but it was a great episode...if you want to listen it's the episode called "Stochasticity."

I actually did the same thing when I was little, except that I put a note in a bottle and threw it into a lake an hour outside of my city. The girl who found it lived on the same street as me back in the city!

Stories like this are fun, but I see no reason to attach any significance to them. To do so is to ignore all of the non-coincidences that we don't notice every day.
EnlightningLinZ

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Someone » Feb 12, 2011 8:27 pm

Just bringing attention to this old thread of mine. It's purpose was for people to report and discuss any coincidences that might give a reasonably intelligent person reason for pause (nothing mundane where a smart person is going to have a quick response).
Proper name: Toon Pine M Brown ---- AM I A WOMAN or working intimately on medical ethics?! No Period, No Say About Certain Things. Is my social philosophy. Everyone has a Hell here, so why add one to the mix if you don't need?
Someone
Banned User

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Animavore » Feb 12, 2011 8:54 pm

Ok.

Tide comes in tide goes out.
Moon, goes around.
The Sun rises, Sun sets.

You can't explain it.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Someone » Feb 12, 2011 9:37 pm

Depends on what you mean by 'explain', but that's trolling in my opinion.
Someone
Banned User

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

#48  Postby Animavore » Feb 12, 2011 10:01 pm

Bill O'Reilly's a troll.

:ask:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Someone » Feb 12, 2011 10:16 pm

Oh! I'm not surprised he said that. Yes, he is. A very well paid one.
Someone
Banned User

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Hnau von Thulcandra » Feb 27, 2011 12:30 pm

This girl who happened to be a fellow first-year student at my college, and happened to hang around in my room constantly, and happened to know how to write Elvish letters nearly as well as myself, also just happened to have a mother who had been a good college friend of mine own mother.
"I am an Anglo-Catholic in religion, a classicist in literature, and a royalist in politics".
Hnau von Thulcandra

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Someone » Apr 28, 2011 5:33 am

Hnau von Thulcandra wrote:This girl who happened to be a fellow first-year student at my college, and happened to hang around in my room constantly, and happened to know how to write Elvish letters nearly as well as myself, also just happened to have a mother who had been a good college friend of mine own mother.

Sounds like some kind of attempt at arranged marriage, maybe.
Someone
Banned User

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

#52  Postby surreptitious57 » Apr 28, 2011 7:18 am

Rawnaeris wrote:I only have one, and it is true coincidence. My soon to be sister-in-law and I have the exact same birthday of 04/11/1988 (mm/dd/yyyy).

Same birthday, different year.
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#53  Postby chairman bill » Apr 28, 2011 7:42 am

We have a Tory-LibDem government, full of posh millionnaires with no proper understanding of the travails of ordinary working class people. Coincidentally, they're fucking up the economy (more than it was previously fucked up) & increasing social disadvantage & child poverty, and kicking the poor, disabled & dispossessed. Can anyone explain that one?
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#54  Postby lifequestioned » Dec 09, 2011 3:08 pm

What if there has been a great number of coincidences wrapped around the lives of two people who lost touch as teens, 20+ years go by and they finally find one another. They swap stories of their lives and find out they have been in the same places throughout life, but just missing each other several times (at least 11 in count so far) many of which they lived or worked just doors away from where the other had. Is this coincidence or paranormal?
lifequestioned

Name: Jenny McKain

United States (us)
Print view this post

#55  Postby Spearthrower » Dec 09, 2011 3:30 pm

My parents' telephone number (ignoring the country code and area code) is the SAME AS MY BIRTHDATE!!! Well, it's scrambled up, but it's THE SAME DIGITS!

Spooky or what?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#56  Postby Paul G » Dec 09, 2011 4:23 pm

Paul G wrote:Every seven years since my birth I've received a large blow to my left eye requiring stitches.

7, fell out of bed.

14, struck with a 9 iron.

21, Kick to the head.

28.....WHO KNOWS!????????

Nothing happened.
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#57  Postby Someone » Dec 10, 2011 8:52 am

lifequestioned wrote:What if there has been a great number of coincidences wrapped around the lives of two people who lost touch as teens, 20+ years go by and they finally find one another. They swap stories of their lives and find out they have been in the same places throughout life, but just missing each other several times (at least 11 in count so far) many of which they lived or worked just doors away from where the other had. Is this coincidence or paranormal?

They needn't be exclusive by definition. You would want to substitute 'accidental' or use it to modify 'coincidence'. Sounds interesting. 11 is a lot, but are they globetrotters or have they both been in the same modestly sized urban area? Not enough information to go on as regards other relevant matters either.
Someone
Banned User

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Someone » Dec 10, 2011 8:54 am

Spearthrower wrote:My parents' telephone number (ignoring the country code and area code) is the SAME AS MY BIRTHDATE!!! Well, it's scrambled up, but it's THE SAME DIGITS!

Spooky or what?

Cute. The proportion of people for which this specific coincidence is true will be pretty low, but there are a lot of things that could have the same spooky effect on you if they were true.
Someone
Banned User

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

#59  Postby Someone » Dec 10, 2011 8:56 am

Paul G wrote:
Paul G wrote:Every seven years since my birth I've received a large blow to my left eye requiring stitches.

7, fell out of bed.

14, struck with a 9 iron.

21, Kick to the head.

28.....WHO KNOWS!????????

Nothing happened.

Good. They sounded like they were getting progressively worse (plus you are aging).
Someone
Banned User

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

#60  Postby amok » Dec 11, 2011 6:45 am

This is a four-part coincidence in one story, so I'll use it for the "three coincidences," plus one.

1) It starts in college, in Ottawa, a million years or so ago. I was in a journalism program, where there were only 20 or so of us. Being sort of a recluse, I really only became solid friends with one classmate over the years we were together. I was friendly with everyone, of course, but not friends, if you get my drift.

2) Fast forward about 15 years. I don't even keep much in touch with my family, so I had long since lost touch with my college buddy. Anyway, I was working at a small newspaper in Halifax, and living on the outskirts of town, on the edge of the harbour, on the remote, narrow, well-named Devil's Hill Road. Very steep hill will a hairpin curve at the bottom. There were only six houses on the road, and I lived just past the curve. One afternoon, as I was pulling out of my driveway to go to work, I saw that I wasn't going anywhere in my car. Someone was moving into the house at the very bottom of the hill, and their enormous moving truck had tipped over making the turn, blocking the road. Hmm. I lived about eight kilometres from the nearest bus stop, so I had to start making phone calls to get a ride into work. It was an awkward time, because I started at 5 p.m., but I finally found someone who could pick me up at the end of the road and give me a drive to work.

3) So I get to work, and there's a new guy on the copy desk. After the usual introductions all around, we settle into the shift, but he's a talker. A loud talker. Before much time has passed, we all know he's an ex-pat American from New Jersey, an ex-U.S. Marine, etc., etc. And here it comes: Man, he says, what a nightmare today - we were moving into our house and the truck tipped over right on the road! What?!, says I! Devil's Hill Road? Yes, indeed, he confirms. I tell my story. Much laughter and bemusement all around, because, while it's a small city, it's not that small a city.

4) As the evening progressed, I discovered a bonus. Buddy, says I, how did you get to work today? Turns out he was following the truck, so his car was in the clear. He had left his wife to deal with the disaster, and came to work. Great, says I, can I nab a lift home? Of course, says he. Considering we finished at 1 a.m., and I would have had to walk the last eight klicks home from the nearest bus stop, I was very pleased. Anyway, the shift ends, we drive home, and are both glad to see the road clear of tipped-over moving truck. The lights are on in his new house, so he asks me in to meet his wife. Sure, says I. And I walk in to come face to face with my long-lost college buddy. It's a small country, but it's not that small a country! :lol:
Last edited by amok on Dec 11, 2011 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
amok
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural