List 3 Coincidences You Know Of (For Debunking?)

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: List 3 Coincidences You Know Of (For Debunking?)

#61  Postby byofrcs » Dec 11, 2011 7:10 am

Paul G wrote:
Paul G wrote:Every seven years since my birth I've received a large blow to my left eye requiring stitches.

7, fell out of bed.

14, struck with a 9 iron.

21, Kick to the head.

28.....WHO KNOWS!????????

Nothing happened.

You never told us where you live !

Last Saturday morning I was making tea/coffee on the gas hob and the kettle handle broke. I sort of fixed it *again* but said "Stuff it I'll see if I can find a replacement at a charity fair we had planned to go to that afternoon". Actually I was naked at the time on way to bathroom so said more choice words whilst leaping back.

My Wife thinks the Tea God is very Happy because I did find a kettle. It was the only one in the place and it's a nice stainless steel 2 litre kettle for a hob that looks perfect once I polished it and poked the pin that was out of alignment on the spout.

Now the co-incidence. The kettle cost me 8 Euros with a bottle opener thrown in but I had 10 Euros and said they could have that (It's a charity show I go to each year and ultimately the charity I do work for would get a cut of all of this anyway) but they said 8 Euros so I got my change.

Yesterday about the same time that I bought my kettle I was at the supermarket and the lifts were slow so I decided to buy a lottery ticket mainly to see how the machines worked. In Italy since August you have to prove your age so they have added swipe card readers to the machines. Swipe a card (health card/credit card etc) and then it unlocks the coin discriminator and then you shove in your money. I never normally buy lottery tickets - about 1 per annum - and have got my kids doing the anti-lottery maths mantra saying how you are more likely to die from being struck by a car walking to the lottery than winning it and obviously how much the government takes a huge cut and so on.

I won 10 Euros.

Lol. Kettle is Free. See the Tea God exists.
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#62  Postby Paul G » Dec 11, 2011 11:23 pm

Someone wrote:
Paul G wrote:
Paul G wrote:Every seven years since my birth I've received a large blow to my left eye requiring stitches.

7, fell out of bed.

14, struck with a 9 iron.

21, Kick to the head.

28.....WHO KNOWS!????????

Nothing happened.

Good. They sounded like they were getting progressively worse (plus you are aging).

Funnily enough, each year the number of stitches/size of wound went down! But yes, I am ageing :(
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#63  Postby Someone » Dec 12, 2011 3:24 pm

amok wrote:This is a four-part coincidence in one story, so I'll use it for the "three coincidences," plus one.

1) It starts in college, in Ottawa, a million years or so ago. I was in a journalism program, where there were only 20 or so of us. Being sort of a recluse, I really only became solid friends with one classmate over the years we were together. I was friendly with everyone, of course, but not friends, if you get my drift.

2) Fast forward about 15 years. I don't even keep much in touch with my family, so I had long since lost touch with my college buddy. Anyway, I was working at a small newspaper in Halifax, and living on the outskirts of town, on the edge of the harbour, on the remote, narrow, well-named Devil's Hill Road. Very steep hill will a hairpin curve at the bottom. There were only six houses on the road, and I lived just past the curve. One afternoon, as I was pulling out of my driveway to go to work, I saw that I wasn't going anywhere in my car. Someone was moving into the house at the very bottom of the hill, and their enormous moving truck had tipped over making the turn, blocking the road. Hmm. I lived about eight kilometres from the nearest bus stop, so I had to start making phone calls to get a ride into work. It was an awkward time, because I started at 5 p.m., but I finally found someone who could pick me up at the end of the road and give me a drive to work.

3) So I get to work, and there's a new guy on the copy desk. After the usual introductions all around, we settle into the shift, but he's a talker. A loud talker. Before much time has passed, we all know he's an ex-pat American from New Jersey, an ex-U.S. Marine, etc., etc. And here it comes: Man, he says, what a nightmare today - we were moving into our house and the truck tipped over right on the road! What?!, says I! Devil's Hill Road? Yes, indeed, he confirms. I tell my story. Much laughter and bemusement all around, because, while it's a small city, it's not that small a city.

4) As the evening progressed, I discovered a bonus. Buddy, says I, how did you get to work today? Turns out he was following the truck, so his car was in the clear. He had left his wife to deal with the disaster, and came to work. Great, says I, can I nab a lift home? Of course, says he. Considering we finished at 1 a.m., and I would have had to walk the last eight klicks home from the nearest bus stop, I was very pleased. Anyway, the shift ends, we drive home, and are both glad to see the road clear of tipped-over moving truck. The lights are on in his new house, so he asks me in to meet his wife. Sure, says I. And I walk in to come face to face with my long-lost college buddy. It's a small country, but it's not that small a country! :lol:

Yeah, one coincidence works if it's a good one. Wow!
Proper name: Toon Pine M Brown ---- AM I A WOMAN or working intimately on medical ethics?! No Period, No Say About Certain Things. Is my social philosophy. Everyone has a Hell here, so why add one to the mix if you don't need?
Someone
Banned User

Name: James

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

#64  Postby mindhack » Dec 12, 2011 3:48 pm

When I was around five years old or so, I swear I saw black Peter on a rooftop delivering presents for the Saint Nicolas celebration event. Coincidence?

No, it coincided with my belief in black Peter.
(Ignorance --> Mystery) < (Knowledge --> Awe)
mindhack

Name: Van Amerongen
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#65  Postby cavarka9 » Dec 12, 2011 4:02 pm

What is the coincidence of say a person B coming across another person K, not knowing where the person K is at the time, but just going about a KM from K's residence twice.
multiply to it, the probability of visiting that area in a bus, which traverses in that area for about 20 min.

It must be small. 1 in 250 or 500 perhaps.
Every moment is a choice.Choices you make now determine your destiny.free yourself of old choices made. Success is a journey,not a destination.
cavarka9

Name: prajna

India (in)
Print view this post

#66  Postby Someone » Dec 22, 2011 8:58 pm

I have to say I think the question just asked is not posed in a way to generate an answer. Perhaps I should also say it is slightly difficult to understand even what is meant. Maybe an answer could be given if askrd right, but it should be asked in the mathematics section probably, and not this thread. Not sure. Maybe you are trying to state a coincidence that happened and are asking a good question for here.

Reminder: There is a title and OP. There have been some responses in some sense with essentially one coincidence given. If anybody reads this post thinking he or she will be participating in this forum for a while, perhaps a note to memory for a full answer will yield something over time. It appears what I asked for here was sort of difficult.
Proper name: Toon Pine M Brown ---- AM I A WOMAN or working intimately on medical ethics?! No Period, No Say About Certain Things. Is my social philosophy. Everyone has a Hell here, so why add one to the mix if you don't need?
Someone
Banned User

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

#67  Postby Grace » Jan 30, 2012 11:36 pm

The coincidence of coincidence happening at any time of the day is actually quite high, around 30%. I saw that figure in print somewhere, but I'll be damned if I can find it now. That means if you happen to read a word and hear someone say a word at the same time, that coincidence happens quite often.

The most impressive coincidence for me happened several years ago when I went on vacation to Disneyland. I knew a co-worker was going on vacation at the same time but neither of us asked the other where we were going. To my surprise, I saw her at one of the shows sitting up on the balcony in the front row. I got her attention and waved at her. She was surprised too.

I'll see if I can find the percentage of the coincidence of coincidence somewhere on the Internet or among my friends. Don't get too grumpy, I'm not in the mood.
Grace

Print view this post

#68  Postby Someone » Mar 24, 2012 6:16 pm

Don't know if those reading here caught this one somewhere else or not, but the conjoined twins born last year in China and regarded as attached similarly to how Chang and Eng were actually have something of a coincidence of note from an arithmetical standpoint: Born 6 days shy of the 200th anniversary of birth of the old Chinese-Thai-American slaveowners (and I think one of their wives was some kind of brute and also one was a drunkard that killed the other, but never mind that), a total span of days of 36*2029, 2029 being the greater of the first pair of 'twin prime years' of this millennium. :dance:
Someone
Banned User

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

#69  Postby laklak » Mar 24, 2012 6:23 pm

Here's a couple:

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?

Obama's birthday, August 4 (216th day of the year), 216 = 6 x 6 x 6 Coincidence?

My birthday, March 20th. I got laid. Coincidence?

Therefore, God. QED
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#70  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 24, 2012 6:30 pm

I'd just purchased Daft Punk's "Alive 2007" album, and was listening to it in the kitchen while doing dishes. When I was finished, I turned the music off. Mere moments later, I hear someone driving down the street blasting the same song I just finished listening to :what:

Therefore God is a Daft Punk fan.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#71  Postby Someone » Mar 24, 2012 6:49 pm

laklak wrote:Here's a couple:

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?

Obama's birthday, August 4 (216th day of the year), 216 = 6 x 6 x 6 Coincidence?

My birthday, March 20th. I got laid. Coincidence?

Therefore, God. QED

And talking about your sex life on the 69th post too. GFY.
Someone
Banned User

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

#72  Postby amkerman » Mar 24, 2012 7:04 pm

Rawnaeris wrote:I only have one, and it is true coincidence. My soon to be sister-in-law and I have the exact same birthday of 04/11/1988 (mm/dd/yyyy).

Is that a "darker than black" picture you use? :thumbup:
Bring me gold and bring me wisdom- give me scars to bring me grace.

A wicked wit and when I use it I dash the hopes of those who hate me.

Give me love- big as a mountain.

Dave Matthews
amkerman

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#73  Postby pelfdaddy » Mar 24, 2012 8:11 pm

My uncle and two friends were on their favorite local golf course when one of his friends got a hole in one on the par 3 thirteenth hole. The following week, the other friend did the same thing on the same hole. The week after that, my uncle did the same thing on the same hole. I put the odds at about a trillion to one, showing that wildly strange things do in fact happen for no apparent "purpose."

Anyone who assumes that the God of scripture must be involved whenever an unlikely event takes place is invited to explain why He orchestrates such miracles on the golf course instead of helping little kids foraging on a mountain of trash outside Manila find a little food.
pelfdaddy

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#74  Postby z8000783 » Mar 24, 2012 8:14 pm

pelfdaddy wrote:I put the odds at about a trillion to one...

I would be intrigued to know how you arrived at that number on a golf course.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#75  Postby Nostalgia » Mar 24, 2012 8:18 pm

The moon is the same distance closer to the Earth than the sun is the size of the moon, relatively speaking, so both appear the same size to us.

I always thought that was pretty odd... :think:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#76  Postby pelfdaddy » Mar 24, 2012 9:50 pm

John,

I took into account as many factors as I could think of, and then--not being an expert in probability--came up with an estimate. Kind of like the Drake Equation...
pelfdaddy

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#77  Postby hackenslash » Mar 25, 2012 12:16 am

MacIver wrote:The moon is the same distance closer to the Earth than the sun is the size of the moon, relatively speaking, so both appear the same size to us.

Indeed, but the moon is receding. It would be pretty astounding if this didn't happen at some point...
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#78  Postby Someone » Mar 25, 2012 1:11 am

pelfdaddy wrote:My uncle and two friends were on their favorite local golf course when one of his friends got a hole in one on the par 3 thirteenth hole. The following week, the other friend did the same thing on the same hole. The week after that, my uncle did the same thing on the same hole. I put the odds at about a trillion to one, showing that wildly strange things do in fact happen for no apparent "purpose."

Anyone who assumes that the God of scripture must be involved whenever an unlikely event takes place is invited to explain why He orchestrates such miracles on the golf course instead of helping little kids foraging on a mountain of trash outside Manila find a little food.

Yep! Makes no sense at all to talk about some kind of justice there.
Someone
Banned User

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

#79  Postby Someone » Mar 25, 2012 1:15 am

hackenslash wrote:
MacIver wrote:The moon is the same distance closer to the Earth than the sun is the size of the moon, relatively speaking, so both appear the same size to us.

Indeed, but the moon is receding. It would be pretty astounding if this didn't happen at some point...

True, hackenslash, but you pretty well understand my reasons for connecting this with our particular stage of advancement as an intelligence, I believe.
Someone
Banned User

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

#80  Postby Someone » Mar 25, 2012 1:23 am

pelfdaddy wrote:John,

I took into account as many factors as I could think of, and then--not being an expert in probability--came up with an estimate. Kind of like the Drake Equation...

Oh, cool! You know a duck that not only plays golf but actually even can formulate probabilistic results on the sport! [Sorry, but I could not resist]
Someone
Banned User

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural