Mathematical Absolutes in Scripture

Pi, e and alpha found in the Masoretic/Textus Receptus

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Mathematical Absolutes in Scripture

#141  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 31, 2016 8:25 am

blue triangle wrote:I think many of you act stupid, hiding behind a veneer of rationalism that is really a kind of sneering contempt for life, like those teenagers at school who sneered at everything because they weren't part of the cool set. In truth everybody's cool. So relax, bro'. :smoke:

Sneering contempt for life? Nothing is more contemptuous of life than imagining the cosmos as a big watch wound up by the hand of god, a toy with the function of entertaining god. That's why theism, every smidgen of it, adds up to hateful, resentful crap instead of reverence for a cosmos with a purpose.

What's worth a feeling of reverence is the fact that we can pursue scientific knowledge without the need for your superfluous guff about a 'cosmic mind'. Contempt for theism is not the same thing as contempt for existence, so spare me the preachiness.

(Mono)theism is an ancient set of superstitions invented by those ignorant goat-roasters in the Fertile Crescent. Trying to sex it up to attract moderns with scientific understanding is pathetic shysterism. Take my advice, lad, and just learn to do without your narcissistic conviction that the universe was created to contain believers and their reverence for God.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#142  Postby Fenrir » Mar 31, 2016 8:55 am

Wilson and Sarfatti?

Quoted as authorities?

O-kayyy then. Nuff said really.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#143  Postby GrahamH » Mar 31, 2016 9:10 am

blue triangle wrote:I took up AlanB's challenge to provide evidence that there is a non-physical mind interacting with the universe. That's my evidence.

Even if your borrowed nonsense about Pi and e was evidence of a mind at work (and nobody is buying that one) there is nothing there, whatsoever, to show a "non-physical mind" or interaction of non-physical with physical. If seems your best shot at responding to AlanB's challenge is a non-starter that entirely misses the point.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#144  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 31, 2016 9:17 am

Fenrir wrote:Wilson and Sarfatti?

Quoted as authorities?

O-kayyy then. Nuff said really.

We have another member... big fan of Wilson. Goes by the name Undercover Elephant. I'll say no more at this point, but that woo is woo.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/searc ... mit=Search

UndercoverElephant wrote:There is no foundational dichotomy.

The whole system is a Whole System.

ETA: James Lovelock, Robert Anton Wilson.

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#145  Postby Fallible » Mar 31, 2016 9:30 am

BM.

Bookmark, not bowel movement.

Although...
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#146  Postby campermon » Mar 31, 2016 9:33 am

Fallible wrote:BM.

Although...

That's too much information...
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#147  Postby Sendraks » Mar 31, 2016 9:43 am

blue triangle wrote:And I don't think you're stupid, although I think many of you act stupid, hiding behind a veneer of rationalism that is really a kind of sneering contempt for life, like those teenagers at school who sneered at everything because they weren't part of the cool set. In truth everybody's cool. So relax, bro'. :smoke:

So not blindly accepting unevidenced assertions as fact, is now "sneering contempt for life" is it?

:coffee:
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#148  Postby Fallible » Mar 31, 2016 9:46 am

campermon wrote:
Fallible wrote:BM.

Although...

That's too much information...

:thumbup:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#149  Postby chairman bill » Mar 31, 2016 10:08 am

blue triangle wrote:What I like about it is that they had to invoke a demon to provide the energy. Who'd have thought eh?

They 'invoked' Maxwell's demon. FFS, the stupidity, it fucking burns.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#150  Postby Shrunk » Mar 31, 2016 10:17 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
blue triangle wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:

We could try to distract him into arguing whether or not 0.999... is 1.0 or not, but he might not be able to switch tracks very easily.
They are equal. :grin:

Do you know how to prove it, or will you just cite the result as 'historically attested'?
I didn't come here to talk maths with you, Cito di Pense. Instead of trying to distract me (and I wont be distracted this time, so give it up) why don't you show me how the appearance of pi and e in scripture could be explained in naturalistic terms. You made a lot of noise pal, so it's time to put up or shut up.

Why don't you stop shifting the burden of proof?

Besides which, a naturalistic explanation has been provided. BT may have missed it, since he seems to be ignoring my posts. The other possibility is that he believes Vanilla Ice was actually a messenger from God.
Last edited by Shrunk on Mar 31, 2016 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#151  Postby Shrunk » Mar 31, 2016 10:18 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
blue triangle wrote:
Onyx8 wrote:How do the errors cancel?

One is an underestimate by 0.0012%. The other is an overestimate by 0.0011%. If we sum these then our estimate of pi + e (pie if you like :grin: ) is underestimated by 0.0001%. The actual error of the summed numbers from the true sum is about 1 in 820000. That's one thin slice of pie.

:facepalm:
Two large errors don't add up to one small error.
Fuck me, I suck at maths and even I know this.

And two large errors in opposite directions are not more accurate than having only one error. :nono:
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#152  Postby Thommo » Mar 31, 2016 11:15 am

blue triangle wrote:
Thommo wrote:
blue triangle wrote:
Thommo wrote:

It's not, but why let that bother you eh?

pi+e = 5.859874482; pi-approx+e-approx = 5.859867321

Difference = 0.00000716 or about 1 in 140,000

This further convoluted and arbitrary operation doesn't even generate a single extra correct digit.

No, this is wrong. Your pie sum is correct, 5.85986732 . . . but you did the maths wrong. The correct calculation for the errors is

1 - (pie (est)/pie (actual)), giving 0.00000122, or 1 in 820000. There are other ways of doing that calculation, but yours is wrong.
If you want it as a percentage error it's

100 - ((pie (estimate) x 100)/pie (actual), giving 0.000122%, which is what I said, except a little more accurate.

Not only is that not a sum (i.e. expressly different than what you wrote), but you "did the maths wrong" as well.

1 - (pie (est)/pie (actual))=0.0000121 or 1 in 82,360.

Not that the "way" is mine in the first place, you're wrong about that. You wrote "sum" so I calculated the sum. You're now doing a quotient and I've calculated that (not that there's the least reason to do either, I stress). Neither one gives 1 in 820,000.

Thommo, you are out by a factor of 10.

1 - (pie (est)/pie (actual)) = 1 - (5.859867321/5,859874482 = 1 - 0.999998778 = 0.000001222 = 1 in 818304

Please don't argue on this one. At least you're actually engaging though.

What I said was correct. The problem is that you are apparently denoting pi+e as "pie" based on a semantic pun someone made a page or two back. You're making yet another completely arbitrary manipulation and still generating only a 5 digit match.

This is *obscenely* stupid. Pi and e are not in the text. If you apply two separate arbitrary assignments of numbers to two separate texts (the second chosen only because it allows a result comparable with the first) then perform what are we up to? Something like 10 separate stages of arbitrary manipulation, you get the first 5 digits of an arbitrary sum of two important constants out of the hundreds that are known through physics and mathematics.

This is not improbable. This is not meaningful.
Thommo

Print view this post

#153  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 31, 2016 11:15 am

Shrunk wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
blue triangle wrote:
Onyx8 wrote:How do the errors cancel?

One is an underestimate by 0.0012%. The other is an overestimate by 0.0011%. If we sum these then our estimate of pi + e (pie if you like :grin: ) is underestimated by 0.0001%. The actual error of the summed numbers from the true sum is about 1 in 820000. That's one thin slice of pie.

:facepalm:
Two large errors don't add up to one small error.
Fuck me, I suck at maths and even I know this.

And two large errors in opposite directions are not more accurate than having only one error. :nono:

An average God with a large standard deviation, one of many such. A random deviant, nonstandard. BT's God.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#154  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 31, 2016 11:27 am

Sendraks wrote:
blue triangle wrote:And I don't think you're stupid, although I think many of you act stupid, hiding behind a veneer of rationalism that is really a kind of sneering contempt for life, like those teenagers at school who sneered at everything because they weren't part of the cool set. In truth everybody's cool. So relax, bro'. :smoke:

So not blindly accepting unevidenced assertions as fact, is now "sneering contempt for life" is it?

No, not blindly agreeing with anything BT believes is ´sneering contempt of life´.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#155  Postby Thommo » Mar 31, 2016 11:30 am

Can I just enquire why you're willing to respond about the value of the inverse of the subtraction from one of the ratio of the sum of the "estimates" of pi and e with the sum of pi and e, but not to the really obvious issue of those "estimates" not actually being in the text in the first place?

How is it that you can be so selective in what you respond to whilst completely ignoring fundamental errors I wonder? Are you capable of honestly acknowledging that not even these (really bad: 377/120 is as accurate as measured by the somewhat bizarre method employed) estimates "appear" or "are there" in the text? But instead have to be derived through a sequence of arbitrary choices?

blue triangle wrote:
But perhaps more importantly it would be necessary for pi to actually appear in scripture before an explanation of that event is required.
The first four digits of pi and 5 digits of e are there.

No they aren't. I already pointed out what's there and what's not. Your own link makes it clear:

http://homepage.virgin.net/vernon.jenkins/Pi_File.htm
Code: Select all
90 200 1 5   400 1 6   40 10 40 300 5   400 1   40 10 5 30 1   1 200 2   400 10 300 1 200 2

and
http://homepage.virgin.net/vernon.jenki ... uation.htm
Code: Select all
5 50   1 100 600 (fudged)   8 50   70   30 70 3 70 200   20 1 10   70 30 70 3 70 200   8 50   80 100 70 200   300 70 50   9 5 70 50   20 1 10   9 5 70 200   8 50   70   30 70 3 70 200

Just how many different possible results of manipulations of these numbers do you think there are, given that you've already permitted arbitrary addition, subtraction, division and counting of elements? Does it run to the millions? Billions?
Last edited by Thommo on Mar 31, 2016 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thommo

Print view this post

#156  Postby Sendraks » Mar 31, 2016 11:37 am

Thommo wrote:
How is it that you can be so selective in what you respond to whilst completely ignoring fundamental errors I wonder?

Because he's not sneering at life whilst hiding behind a veneer of rationalism?

If you weren't so sneering and insistent with veneering everything with rationalism, you'd be fine with this.

Or something.

"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#157  Postby chairman bill » Mar 31, 2016 12:51 pm

Anton Wilson shouldn't be dismissed totally; he said some important things. Has blue triangle posted these yet?

"The function of Theology? The recitation of the incomprehensible by the unspeakable to pick the pockets of the unthinking "
Robert Anton Wilson

"The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental."
Robert Anton Wilson

"Belief is the death of intelligence."
Robert Anton Wilson
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#158  Postby blue triangle » Mar 31, 2016 1:22 pm

GrahamH wrote:
blue triangle wrote:I took up AlanB's challenge to provide evidence that there is a non-physical mind interacting with the universe. That's my evidence.

Even if your borrowed nonsense about Pi and e was evidence of a mind at work (and nobody is buying that one) there is nothing there, whatsoever, to show a "non-physical mind" or interaction of non-physical with physical. If seems your best shot at responding to AlanB's challenge is a non-starter that entirely misses the point.
So ungracious. And speak for yourself, mate.
blue triangle

Name: William Downie

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#159  Postby Shrunk » Mar 31, 2016 1:23 pm

My posts seem to have suddenly gone invisible for blue triangle, so could someone would be so kind as to ask him precisely where in this thread he addressed this part of AlanB's question? I'm having trouble finding it:

You must then describe the precise nature of the interface: how it is implemented, what 'connections' are used and the translation 'mechanism' across the interface. Bearing in mind, of course, that one side of the interface must be entirely non-physical such that no physical measuring device can detect its presence and that the other side must exist solely in the physical universe.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#160  Postby chairman bill » Mar 31, 2016 1:24 pm

I still want him to explain Maxwell's Demon
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural