Mediums

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Mediums

#301  Postby BlackBart » Nov 13, 2018 7:39 pm

Fallible wrote:
There'll be some explanation as to why you are apparently unaware that 'clairvoyant' and 'fortune teller' are synonyms of 'medium'.


As is con-artist.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
User avatar
BlackBart
 
Name: rotten bart
Posts: 12243
Age: 58
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Mediums

#302  Postby Fallible » Nov 13, 2018 7:47 pm

:nod:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#303  Postby Thommo » Nov 13, 2018 8:39 pm

Jesus Christ is this ever weak.
Wortfish wrote:The professionals I contacted are not fortune tellers and do not read one's future.


Wortfish wrote:The reading isn't just about confirmatory evidence. There are some other details that I wouldn't know about, such as who met the cat when it passed, predictions about the future and other information.The medium also included a chilling statement, namely that I would be joining my cat SOON in the afterlife. However, he quickly clarified that "soon" could be as much as 20 years or more.

Wortfish wrote:All they do is act as a "medium" between me and the dead. However, one did say I would be joining my late cat SOON but then quickly qualified this by saying that "soon" could mean as much as 40 years.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27175

Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#304  Postby Wortfish » Nov 13, 2018 10:54 pm

Fallible wrote:
Shove your urges up your arse. Even if you weren't simply trolling your tits off, I'd never listen to some stranger who's so up themselves that they feel fine with giving me unsolicited advice. It shows a certain crassness and inability to understand the impact of their comments. Would you like to urge me to eat a more alkaline diet as well? No? Perhaps you'd like me to eat baking soda or cut out all sugars..? I've heard each of these things several times from people I know and like. What are that chances that I'd suddenly listen to some berk who isn't ashamed to pretend he's in touch with a dead cat after paying some other berks actual money to tell him what he wants to hear?

Look, I'm just trying to help you - my fellow human being. Admittedly, I would win this argument if you were healed by a spiritual advisor. I would encourage you to take advantage of the placebo effect. Try and convince yourself that a sugar pill is actually a cure for cancer. Then take it, and your mind will respond by destroying the cancerous cells - this is just a case of psychosomatic therapy. It may seem odd, but it does work.
User avatar
Wortfish
 
Posts: 971

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#305  Postby Thommo » Nov 13, 2018 10:55 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Fallible wrote:
Shove your urges up your arse. Even if you weren't simply trolling your tits off, I'd never listen to some stranger who's so up themselves that they feel fine with giving me unsolicited advice. It shows a certain crassness and inability to understand the impact of their comments. Would you like to urge me to eat a more alkaline diet as well? No? Perhaps you'd like me to eat baking soda or cut out all sugars..? I've heard each of these things several times from people I know and like. What are that chances that I'd suddenly listen to some berk who isn't ashamed to pretend he's in touch with a dead cat after paying some other berks actual money to tell him what he wants to hear?

Look, I'm just trying to help you - my fellow human being. Admittedly, I would win this argument if you were healed by a spiritual advisor. I would encourage you to take advantage of the placebo effect. Try and convince yourself that a sugar pill is actually a cure for cancer. Then take it, and your mind will respond by destroying the cancerous cells - this is just a case of psychosomatic therapy.


Absolute bollocks. Dangerous bollocks too.

That is not how the placebo effect works, and you aren't trying to help.

Trolling cancer patients is below fucking scummy.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27175

Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#306  Postby Wortfish » Nov 13, 2018 10:57 pm

BlackBart wrote:
Fallible wrote:
There'll be some explanation as to why you are apparently unaware that 'clairvoyant' and 'fortune teller' are synonyms of 'medium'.


As is con-artist.

Just because some people within a profession are frauds or charlatans doesn't mean all are. That's just sterotyping, and it is the basis for racism among other evils.
User avatar
Wortfish
 
Posts: 971

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#307  Postby scott1328 » Nov 13, 2018 11:01 pm

I have a GREAT idea. We should ask Wortfish's dead cat to use Automatic Writing through Wortfish's medium to draw pictures of everyone Wortfish has interacted with on this forum. Then Wortfish can post those pictures and we can all see first hand proof of the supernatural.

Wouldn't that be NEAT!
User avatar
scott1328
 
Name: Some call me... Tim
Posts: 8703
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Mediums

#308  Postby Wortfish » Nov 13, 2018 11:02 pm

Thommo wrote:
Absolute bollocks. Dangerous bollocks too.

That is not how the placebo effect works, and you aren't trying to help.

Trolling cancer patients is below fucking scummy.




Watch from 2:10
User avatar
Wortfish
 
Posts: 971

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#309  Postby Wortfish » Nov 13, 2018 11:07 pm

scott1328 wrote:I have a GREAT idea. We should ask Wortfish's dead cat to use Automatic Writing through Wortfish's medium to draw pictures of everyone Wortfish has interacted with on this forum. Then Wortfish can post those pictures and we can all see first hand proof of the supernatural.

Wouldn't that be NEAT!


Whether she likes it or not, I am sending a spiritual healing prayer to her this weekend. Will ask my cat to help out.
User avatar
Wortfish
 
Posts: 971

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#310  Postby Thommo » Nov 13, 2018 11:08 pm

No, that's now how evidence works, or the placebo effect works.

There is a rate of spontaneous remission in cancers. It is not higher for people who take placebos. That is dangerous bollocks, that charlatans use to exploit the desperate.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

ETA: https://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatm ... ffect.html
The bottom line is that placebos don’t cure.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27175

Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#311  Postby Wortfish » Nov 13, 2018 11:32 pm

Thommo wrote:No, that's now how evidence works, or the placebo effect works.

There is a rate of spontaneous remission in cancers. It is not higher for people who take placebos. That is dangerous bollocks, that charlatans use to exploit the desperate.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

ETA: https://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatm ... ffect.html
The bottom line is that placebos don’t cure.


Duh. Of course cancer researchers and drug makers are going to downplay the placebo effect because it it is not in their interest to acknowledge it. I believe the TED presenter.
User avatar
Wortfish
 
Posts: 971

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#312  Postby The_Metatron » Nov 13, 2018 11:36 pm

Wortfish wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:
Demonstrate this “soul”. Demonstrate it, or drop it.


Demonstrate parallel universes or drop this multiverse hypothesis. Demonstrate the existence of dark matter.

Just because science is unable to detect and measure all of reality, doesn't mean that all of reality does not exist.

When you find the post in which I propose the existence of either of those things, we can discuss them.

In the meantime, you’re the one mouthing off here that souls exist. Prove it. Prove it, or shut the fuck up. Because, without that, you have nothing in this topic.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
User avatar
The_Metatron
Moderator
 
Name: Jesse
Posts: 21076
Age: 58
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#313  Postby Thommo » Nov 13, 2018 11:36 pm

Nobody mentioned "drug makers" or people who profit from cancer but you.

But I mean sure, if you want to say that you rely on a speaker giving a third hand 70 year old anecdote in place of research, then I think I stand by what I said.

That's not how evidence or the placebo effect works, and you're trolling cancer patients with dangerous bollocks. You should be ashamed of yourself.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27175

Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#314  Postby Mr. Skeptic » Nov 14, 2018 2:10 am

Wortfish wrote:

Demonstrate parallel universes or drop this multiverse hypothesis. Demonstrate the existence of dark matter.


Parallel universes are more likely, and even physically possible considering our universe, and all the other things about it. Dark matter is used to explain the matter that is missing. Besides, it's more likely.

The primary evidence for dark matter is that calculations show that many galaxies would fly apart instead of rotating, or would not have formed or move as they do, if they did not contain a large amount of unseen matter. Other lines of evidence include observations in gravitational lensing, from the cosmic microwave background, from astronomical observations of the observable universe's current structure, from the formation and evolution of galaxies, from mass location during galactic collisions, and from the motion of galaxies within galaxy clusters. In the standard Lambda-CDM model of cosmology, the total mass–energy of the universe contains 4.9% ordinary matter and energy, 26.8% dark matter and 68.3% of an unknown form of energy known as dark energy. Thus, dark matter constitutes 84.5%[note 2] of total mass, while dark energy plus dark matter constitute 95.1% of total mass–energy content.


Wortfish wrote:
Just because science is unable to detect and measure all of reality, doesn't mean that all of reality does not exist.


Science gives a really good approximation of empirical reality. No other field in philosophy has done so well. It doesn't matter anyway. What you are saying is the main driving force of science.
Mr. Skeptic
 
Name: Owen Terry
Posts: 143

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#315  Postby Mr. Skeptic » Nov 14, 2018 2:13 am

Wortfish wrote:
Duh. Of course cancer researchers and drug makers are going to downplay the placebo effect because it it is not in their interest to acknowledge it. I believe the TED presenter.


Crying conspiracy does not make your argument any better. In fact, it reduces your credibility even further. Do it again.
Mr. Skeptic
 
Name: Owen Terry
Posts: 143

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Mediums

#316  Postby Mr. Skeptic » Nov 14, 2018 2:20 am

Wortfish wrote:


Watch from 2:10


I already it's gonna be pretty dumb when the title is a loaded question. Of course, there is scientific evidence our bodies can heal themselves, just not efficiently to point where we don't need doctors or modern medicine. Our bodies are not perfect, and alt-med won't help it. At best it can make you feel better. At worst it can kill you. Alt-med is by definition not proven to work.
Mr. Skeptic
 
Name: Owen Terry
Posts: 143

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#317  Postby Mr. Skeptic » Nov 14, 2018 2:25 am

Wortfish wrote:
Just because some people within a profession are frauds or charlatans doesn't mean all are. That's just sterotyping, and it is the basis for racism among other evils.


If they claim stuff they can't show and they lie for money, they are by definition frauds and charlatans. All they can do replicate what tricksters and magicians can do. They just claim 'magicdidit', instead of showing how they did it. Magicdidit is just a story. it offers no explanation.
Mr. Skeptic
 
Name: Owen Terry
Posts: 143

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#318  Postby surreptitious57 » Nov 14, 2018 4:03 am

Wortfish wrote:
There is no such thing as an incurable disease

AIDS
Sepsis
Rabies
Cancer
Malaria
Leprosy
Tinnitus
Diabetes
Dementia
Meningitis
Leukaemia
Depression
Haemophilia
Cystic Fibrosis
Multiple Sclerosis
Sickle Cell Anemia
Last edited by surreptitious57 on Nov 14, 2018 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
 
Posts: 10195

Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#319  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Nov 14, 2018 4:05 am

People who work in drug development tend to be paid pretty terribly.
what a terrible image
User avatar
Rachel Bronwyn
 
Name: speaking moistly
Posts: 13519
Age: 32
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#320  Postby Fallible » Nov 14, 2018 7:00 am

Wortfish wrote:
Fallible wrote:
Shove your urges up your arse. Even if you weren't simply trolling your tits off, I'd never listen to some stranger who's so up themselves that they feel fine with giving me unsolicited advice. It shows a certain crassness and inability to understand the impact of their comments. Would you like to urge me to eat a more alkaline diet as well? No? Perhaps you'd like me to eat baking soda or cut out all sugars..? I've heard each of these things several times from people I know and like. What are that chances that I'd suddenly listen to some berk who isn't ashamed to pretend he's in touch with a dead cat after paying some other berks actual money to tell him what he wants to hear?

Look, I'm just trying to help you - my fellow human being.


Don't bother. Please.

Admittedly, I would win this argument if you were healed by a spiritual advisor. I would encourage you to take advantage of the placebo effect. Try and convince yourself that a sugar pill is actually a cure for cancer. Then take it, and your mind will respond by destroying the cancerous cells - this is just a case of psychosomatic therapy. It may seem odd, but it does work.


I was going to say I can't believe you're using cancer to troll, but I actually can.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest