'Psychic' Derek Acorah claims Maddie is dead

Says The Scum

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: 'Psychic' Derek Acorah claims Maddie is dead

#41  Postby trubble76 » Jun 11, 2012 11:06 am

jerome wrote:
trubble76 wrote:
He claims to be a psychic, that rules out him being a lovely bloke. the two are mutually exclusive.

I've known lovely people who think they are psychic. the world is full of them

j x

I'm sure you have. I stand by my post.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby jerome » Jun 11, 2012 11:12 am

Fair enough. :) As I disapprove on religious grounds (and a bit of common sense) of the whole mediumistic shenangians I won't argue the point.

The society for Psychical Research just posted a link to a rather lovely review on a Sally Morgan show the same Sally Morgan who I just mentioned. Rather than start a new thread I'll just link it here. If interested in such matters it is well worth "liking" the Society for Psychical Research Facebook page. The review is here, and beautifully written I thought --

http://teamlocals.co.uk/sally-morgan-on ... um=twitter

j x
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
jerome

Name: CJ
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#43  Postby trubble76 » Jun 11, 2012 11:19 am

jerome wrote:Fair enough. :) As I disapprove on religious grounds (and a bit of common sense) of the whole mediumistic shenangians I won't argue the point.

The society for Psychical Research just posted a link to a rather lovely review on a Sally Morgan show the same Sally Morgan who I just mentioned. Rather than start a new thread I'll just link it here. If interested in such matters it is well worth "liking" the Society for Psychical Research Facebook page. The review is here, and beautifully written I thought --

http://teamlocals.co.uk/sally-morgan-on ... um=twitter

j x

Sally Morgan, another parasite, like clergy and ghost chasers and witch doctors and aura straighteners and faith healers etc ad nauseam. They should have a period of time behind bars to consider the harm they do with their lies and/or delusions.

trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#44  Postby jerome » Jun 11, 2012 11:25 am

Have you read the review? :)

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#45  Postby trubble76 » Jun 11, 2012 11:30 am

jerome wrote:Have you read the review? :)

Yup. The comments make me very sad for the state of human life on this planet. Millions, billions of years of evolution and humans are still that stupid and/or dishonest.

trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Fallible » Jun 11, 2012 11:39 am

I read it - it was quite badly written and doesn't really hold any great surprises. The successful ''medium'' Sally Morgan has lots of ways to gather information about the people in her audience, uses cold and hot reading techniques and shows no compassion for the bereaved. In other news, dogs go woof.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#47  Postby jerome » Jun 11, 2012 11:42 am

I thought the analysis of how she did it in the second half was pretty good.It differs from my theory on SM, but when you look at the specific examples of wording the author gives it seems very clear he is right? Did you see the second half, there is a sort of break halfway through and i missed it when I first read it. I was impressed he actually cared more about the grief and emotional harm than how the trick was done though. My piece on Sally is here http://jerome23.wordpress.com/2011/09/1 ... r-was-she/

j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby trubble76 » Jun 11, 2012 11:46 am

Fallible wrote:I read it - it was quite badly written and doesn't really hold any great surprises. The successful ''medium'' Sally Morgan has lots of ways to gather information about the people in her audience, uses cold and hot reading techniques and shows no compassion for the bereaved. In other news, dogs go woof.

Quite. Sally Morgan is a liar and a thief. She is scum. People that help her by supporting a magical world of pixies and banshees are a millstone around humanity's neck, dragging people down into the dark abyss where they can be fed on by the likes of Morgan and Acorah.

trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Fallible » Jun 11, 2012 11:46 am

Yes jerome, I read the whole lot unless there is something else after the comments. It just seems like bog standard tactics to me - lots of bereaved people feeding her extra information, a supposed medium asking questions (which she should just be able to ask the spirits about), a scatterbomb approach hoping someone in the audience gets hooked and various other standard tricks...what am I missing?
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#50  Postby jerome » Jun 11, 2012 11:55 am

Fallible wrote:Yes jerome, I read the whole lot unless there is something else after the comments. It just seems like bog standard tactics to me - lots of bereaved people feeding her extra information, a supposed medium asking questions (which she should just be able to ask the spirits about), a scatterbomb approach hoping someone in the audience gets hooked and various other standard tricks...what am I missing?

Not much it seems. :) I'm reading it through my obsession with how mediums use language, so the direct quotes of her words fascinate me: my problem is i would never under any circumstances give Sally or any of her ilk money by attending a show, so I have limited resources to critique from. I could watch her on TV, but I tried once and it made me physically ill. Atthe end of the day Trubble and i are not that far apart on this matter really.

j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#51  Postby trubble76 » Jun 11, 2012 12:01 pm

Except I don't tell people that I saw dead people not being dead after they were dead. Did I get that right? If so, I think you might be closer to Morgan than you are to me, sadly.

trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#52  Postby jerome » Jun 11, 2012 12:03 pm

trubble76 wrote:Except I don't tell people that I saw dead people not being dead after they were dead. Did I get that right? If so, I think you might be closer to Morgan than you are to me, sadly.

When did I say that???

j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#53  Postby Fallible » Jun 11, 2012 12:07 pm

I've had the dubious pleasure of seeing Acorah live - I didn't pay, I was at Alton Towers for the day and he happened to be there doing a promo for something or other and held a free demo in front of about 100 people. It was embarrassing, and exactly the same kind of stuff I've seen on TV from him and other supposed mediums, including SM. 'Who here knows a Frank?' Silence. 'He was old when he died, and Sam is giving me this feeling, a sort of pain in my chest, anyone here lost someone to something like a heart attack?' Obviously people respond to this. Someone says they know a Fred. 'He was a great footy fan'. He eventually zeroed in on some woman who said she'd lost her grandfather, a footie fan from Liverpool, to a heart attack, and poor old Derek takes a punt - 'yeah, he loved his footie, he's going 'come on you reds!' That's what he's doing, he's chanting that' - at which point the woman says 'he was an Everton fan'. As I said, embarrassing.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#54  Postby trubble76 » Jun 11, 2012 12:10 pm

jerome wrote:
trubble76 wrote:Except I don't tell people that I saw dead people not being dead after they were dead. Did I get that right? If so, I think you might be closer to Morgan than you are to me, sadly.

When did I say that???

j x

Did I get it wrong? I thought you said that you saw a ghost(s). Apologies if I misremembered.

trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#55  Postby jerome » Jun 11, 2012 12:13 pm

I did indeed say I saw a "ghost". We use the term in parapsychology for any seemingly lifelike apparition of a human figure. I never said it was a dead guy as far as i know? I won't rule it absolutely out, but it has never been my preferred explanation. I took on that position in the debate to avoid pussy footing about with definitions and making it hard for Campermon ot argue against me, but if you read my opening post that should be clear?

j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby jerome » Jun 11, 2012 12:15 pm

Fallible wrote:I've had the dubious pleasure of seeing Acorah live - I didn't pay, I was at Alton Towers for the day and he happened to be there doing a promo for something or other and held a free demo in front of about 100 people.

I saw him perform on stage once too, free, as his guest. I mention my conclusions in the piece i linked in Sally Morgan as far as I recall, and have an essay review of the experience somewhere. I'll see if I can find it :)

j x
Last edited by jerome on Jun 11, 2012 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#57  Postby jerome » Jun 11, 2012 12:17 pm

Fallible wrote:Someone says they know a Fred. 'He was a great footy fan'. He eventually zeroed in on some woman who said she'd lost her grandfather, a footie fan from Liverpool, to a heart attack, and poor old Derek takes a punt - 'yeah, he loved his footie, he's going 'come on you reds!' That's what he's doing, he's chanting that' - at which point the woman says 'he was an Everton fan'. As I said, embarrassing.

BRILLIANT! :D I'd love to have been there!

j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Fallible » Jun 11, 2012 12:22 pm

I felt sorry for him and I don't even like him.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#59  Postby trubble76 » Jun 11, 2012 12:24 pm

jerome wrote:I did indeed say I saw a "ghost". We use the term in parapsychology for any seemingly lifelike apparition of a human figure. I never said it was a dead guy as far as i know? I won't rule it absolutely out, but it has never been my preferred explanation. I took on that position in the debate to avoid pussy footing about with definitions and making it hard for Campermon ot argue against me, but if you read my opening post that should be clear?

j x

I was not referring to your dialogue with campermon but our dialogue. Perhaps I was confused by you not meaning "ghost" when you said you'd seen a "ghost". I too have seen ghosts, assuming we are not actually talking about ghosts. I once saw Satan too, and by Satan I mean a dead badger.

When I suggested that people that spread claims of seeing ghosts are the millstone around humanity's neck, dragging them into the abyss to feed scavengers like Morgan, I really meant people that were talking about ghosts when they were talking about ghosts. My apologies for any distress this confusion may have caused.

trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#60  Postby jerome » Jun 11, 2012 12:36 pm

Well ghost means different things to different people. I tend to use it in the way you might expect me as a parapsychologist too and forget most people don't spend their lives writing and researching apparitions-- but "seeing a ghost" hardly means one assumes it's a dead guy does it? After all the recording hypothesis is pretty common in woo circles? Anyway I think we often talk at cross purposes. I saw the ghost of my grandmother. It was a mop in a bucket. Scared me half to death though till I looked and found out what it was.

j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural