Quick Question!

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Quick Question!

#21  Postby jerome » Mar 11, 2010 1:45 pm

Well we have a bloody good medical literature on hallucinations - I'd recommend this as an introductory test btw - http://www.amazon.com/Hallucinations-Id ... nskepti-20 - but the distinction between psychological and pathological hallucinations goes back as far as Boismont. I don't think anyone in the last century in the field has doubted that hallucinations occur in perfectly healthy individuals?

j x
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
jerome

Name: CJ
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Aern Rakesh » Mar 11, 2010 1:46 pm

jerome wrote:Thanks Nora that is an extremely interesting webpage you have there, and that is a truly fascinating experience! Are you still in touch with the lady? Don't the americans call a type of notepad a tablet? A golden tablet! how apt! :)

j x

As you might have gathered, I'm very interested in the 'meaning' of these experiences for the individuals concerned. I'm not in touch with her, no. But it was very interesting talking the experience through with her.

I've had lots of strange experiences, including one where I woke up to find a small version of the alien monster in my bedroom! Talk about terror! If you want to read about that one, you can read about it here. (Warning: that article contains imagery from astrology for which I make no apology! :smile: )
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23  Postby jerome » Mar 11, 2010 1:49 pm

War Arrow wrote:Thanks for the PM, jerome - I used to be hook, line and sinker for all sorts of preposterous stuff, and not necessarily in a good way, but the thing of possible value (or at least interest) that I took from all that were writings by T.C.Lethbridge - before anyone starts thumping tubs, they are writings and not presented as scientific papers, yes... I know - anyway, amongst his numerous implausible but nonetheless extremely well argued points was the idea of places or objects having the facility to record things which are then triggered by certain people. That still places the experience all very much in the mind of the beholder, and I honestly don't know what to think beyond finding it interesting.

I like old Lethbridge - more for his archaeological work than his "ghouls" nd "pendulums" though Still I often say "above and a bit to the right" for no apparent reason - it's a line from TC! :) Lethbrige was a clever guy, if a tad eccentric :) His idea is pretty much that suggested by Myers which was developed by Nigel Kneale (of "Quatermass" fame) in to the "stone TApe Theory". And if Carl Sagan could make a majort contribution to the study of UFO abductions (and he did) why not? :)

j x
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
jerome

Name: CJ
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Horwood Beer-Master » Mar 22, 2010 5:09 pm

jerome wrote:" Have you ever - when believing yourself to be fully awake and unaffected by illness, drink or drugs -- had a vivid experience of seeing something or someone, or of hearing a voice, when there is nothing there and no ordinary cause you can find?"

I occasionally think I hear vague voices, from what is apparently only background noise. But that's just the auditory equivalent of seeing faces in random patterns (clouds, tree trunks e.t.c). The brain is, for good evolutionary reasons, overly predisposed to such biased interpretations of sensory input. Nothing 'weird' or 'spooky' about that kind of thing.
Also available on Rationalia

Horwood Beer-Master

Name: Ian

England (eng)
Print view this post

#25  Postby mark1961 » Mar 22, 2010 5:43 pm

Shortish answer. 1999 Marazion, Cornwall, Solar Eclipse literally washed out by bad weather. Still a fantastic experience. Went a bit wobbly when I "kinda sorta" saw God. Not actually saw or heard him but felt a presence an all-knowing, loving, infinite sort of presence. Then a few seconds later it "went on it's way" and I was left with tears running down my face.

A weird day. No sleep the previous night due to trip down there on a "historic" 1950's vintage rail carriage. The trip was organized by a group of train enthusiasts.

As hallucinations go that was a good un' I guess. Never done drugs or had a mental illness. Except for those few moments when the latter might apply temporarily.

The experience of being in totality under near total cloud cover might be disappointing in most respects but it was a fascinating show in it's own right. Unreal lighting, shimmering clouds made it look like a scene from Close Encounters and the aliens were on final approach. Watching it from a big bay like that certainly added to the "Film Set" look of the thing as well.

Annnd it got me onto Page 3 of The Sun! They did a big report of it the next day the boobies had to wait for the day after you see and I can be seen from a distance in a big crowd photo. Def. me though. I remembered where I sat and recognized my duffel bag and raincoat.
mark1961

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#26  Postby HughMcB » Mar 22, 2010 6:25 pm

jerome wrote:" Have you ever - when believing yourself to be fully awake and unaffected by illness, drink or drugs -- had a vivid experience of seeing something or someone, or of hearing a voice, when there is nothing there and no ordinary cause you can find?"

Yes sometimes. Your brain often plays tricks on itself when trying to process difficult data. Like making faces out of clouds you can also make voices out of noises. I've heard people talking only to discover a plastic bag rustling outside my window, I also heard someone calling my name only to realise it was a windy vent.
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural