Reasons for closing K Ministry of Defence UFO desk

Overrun by Chinese lanterns

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Reasons for closing K Ministry of Defence UFO desk

#1  Postby tolman » Jun 21, 2013 2:09 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22991014

The truth, wherever it was, wasn't very interesting.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Reasons for closing K Ministry of Defence UFO desk

#2  Postby lpetrich » Jun 27, 2015 4:49 pm

Chinese lanterns = fire balloons

They have been a common sort of prank UFO. I've seen them proposed for the 1966 Michigan UFO's that J. Allen Hynek had officially identified as swamp gas. Something that got a LOT of ridicule back then.
lpetrich

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby tolman » Jun 27, 2015 6:02 pm

A co-worker of mine years ago had, in his youth, tried making a hot air balloon one night out of multiple garbage sacks with a cotton-wool alcohol burner underneath.

When it unsurprisingly caught fire after travelling up, up and away, it resulted in all manner of interpretations, from people reporting a microlight crashing in flames to the inevitable claims of UFOs.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#4  Postby lpetrich » Jun 27, 2015 6:33 pm

I prefer to use "UFO" to mean plain old "unidentified flying object" rather than "extraterrestrial spacecraft or something else equally weird". So I wouldn't be surprised if some people called it a UFO.
lpetrich

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby electricwhiteboy » Jun 29, 2015 3:25 pm

tolman wrote:A co-worker of mine years ago had, in his youth, tried making a hot air balloon one night out of multiple garbage sacks with a cotton-wool alcohol burner underneath.

When it unsurprisingly caught fire after travelling up, up and away, it resulted in all manner of interpretations, from people reporting a microlight crashing in flames to the inevitable claims of UFOs.

We did similar with a small camping gas stove and space blankets. We didn't really think it would fly, despite some back of a fag packet calculations. It was only when it was sailing away we thought about what happens when it came down! Thankfully the wind took it out to sea.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural