Stargate Project

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Stargate Project

#1  Postby Transilvanian » Apr 12, 2013 3:58 pm

Hy!
Psi believers are saying that Stargate Project made very significant results. Do you know something about the results? :coffee:

The foregoing observations provide a compelling argument against continuation of the program within the intelligence community. Even though a statistically significant effect has been observed in the laboratory, it remains unclear whether the existence of a paranormal phenomenon, remote viewing, has been demonstrated. The laboratory studies do not provide evidence regarding the origins or nature of the phenomenon, assuming it exists, nor do they address an important methodological issue of inter-judge reliability.

Further, even if it could be demonstrated unequivocally that a paranormal phenomenon occurs under the conditions present in the laboratory paradigm, these conditions have limited applicability and utility for intelligence gathering operations. For example, the nature of the remote viewing targets are vastly dissimilar, as are the specific tasks required of the remote viewers. Most importantly, the information provided by remote viewing is vague and ambiguous, making it difficult, if not impossible, for the technique to yield information of sufficient quality and accuracy of information for actionable intelligence. Thus, we conclude that continued use of remote viewing in intelligence gathering operations is not warranted.

— Executive summary, "An Evaluation of Remote Viewing: Research and Applications", American Institutes for Research, Sept. 29, 1995
Transilvanian

Male

Hungary (hu)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Stargate Project

#2  Postby DavidMcC » Apr 12, 2013 4:16 pm

I hadn't even heard of the "Stargate Project" until you posted it, Transilvanian. Having done an internet search on it, it looks like it was a dud, perhaps the result of the DOD not being prepared to take any chances on it, so that they felt obliged to do something for years. Why am I not surprised?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate_Project
The Stargate Project[1] was the umbrella code name of one of several sub-projects established by the U.S. Federal Government to investigate claims of psychic phenomena with potential military and domestic applications, particularly "remote viewing": the purported ability to psychically "see" events, sites, or information from a great distance.[2] These projects were active from the 1970s through 1995, and followed up early psychic research done at The Stanford Research Institute (SRI), Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC), The American Society for Psychical Research, and other psychical research labs.[3]

IMO, the only decent thing to come out of that project was some entertaining Sci-Fi TV programs.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Transilvanian » Apr 12, 2013 6:39 pm

Stargate Project "studied" remote viewing. James Randi said about this:

remote viewing: This phenomenon first became a celebrated subject after parapsychologists Harold Puthoff and Russell Targ published a scientific paper which reported on experiments in which a remote location had been chosen, an experimenter visited there, and a subject recorded his or her psychic impressions of the spot. Their results seemed to prove that a “remote sensing” faculty did exist.
Subsequently, properly controlled tests were done by several other researchers, eliminating several sources of cuing and extraneous evidence that had been present in the tests. These new tests produced negative results. The data of Puthoff and Targ were reexamined by the other researchers, and it was found that their students were able to solve the locations without use of any psychic powers, using only the clues that had inadvertently been included in the Puthoff and Targ transcripts.

Do you know where are these researches with negative results? I am really interested... :shifty:
Transilvanian

Male

Hungary (hu)
Print view this post

#4  Postby DavidMcC » Apr 13, 2013 2:25 pm

Above Wiki article wrote:In 1995, the project was transferred to the CIA and a retrospective evaluation of the results was done. The CIA contracted the American Institutes for Research for an evaluation. An analysis conducted by Professor Jessica Utts showed a statistically significant effect,[11] with gifted subjects scoring 5%-15% above chance, though subject reports included a large amount of irrelevant information, and when reports did seem on target they were vague and general in nature.[12] Ray Hyman argued that Utts' conclusion that ESP had been proven to exist, especially precognition, "is premature and that present findings have yet to be independently replicated."[13]

In other words, the initial "success" was akin to astrology.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby ersby » Apr 17, 2013 8:23 pm

I have the Star Gate archive which was declassified around 2004. I'm slowly making my way through it. It's fascinating, but not due to any evidence of psychic functioning, more to do with how they kept the project going on some very questionable results. There are some remarkable hits but you'd expect a few in twenty years of trying.

I still feel as if I'm just getting started (there are tens of thousands of pages), but I've read a fair amount and I can make some statements about the project with some confidence.

Mostly, the remote viewing sessions are conducted with a viewer who may not know anything about the target, or s/he may be given a little information about the target or, on rare occasions, may be given a lot of information.

The interviewer who guides the viewer almost always knows what the target is in operational sessions (ie, viewing hostages, military installations) but hardly ever during training sessions (ie, local targets chosen at random).

As for those remarkable hits that are described in books, articles and talks, they deserve more time. Especially since just finding the original session notes can be difficult.

The best hits are from the earliest part of the project, during the 1970s when the session notes weren't kept with such diligence as they were post-1979. As such, we are left with descriptions of these successes based on memory or on the summaries and reports of those sessions. This can be problematic. We all know how slippery memory can be, and as for the reports, they can sometimes change from one published version to the next.

Most of the famous hits have had their stories changed. Sometimes only a little, but sometimes quite drastically. For example, Paul Smith did have a remote viewing session in which he described an American ship being attacked, two days before the USS Stark was attacked. But in his version of events it was lasers from a Russian aircraft, not missiles from an Iraqi one.

On the other hand, the idea that remote viewers found the hostage BG Dozier but their information was not passed on to the relevant authorities is the complete opposite to what actually occurred: They didn't find him, and their information was passed on (without the psychic nature of the source being revealed), with embarrassing consequences for the Italian authorities who ordered operations to be carried out. I write about it in more detail on my blog

http://ersby.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/kid ... -1981.html

My impression so far is that the CIA were right to end it. Whether psi exists or not, it was obviously not useful in an operational environment. However, if some clandestine RV project is still going on, it would not surprise me. There were enough people in the secret services who believed in psi, or were willing to try it, that the project was able to survive for a little over 20 years, so it wouldn't surprise me if this was still the case. But that doesn't mean they're any good, though.
ersby

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby Transilvanian » Apr 17, 2013 9:57 pm

Thank you very much ersby! Can you answer my questions about Ganzfeld?
Transilvanian

Male

Hungary (hu)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Transilvanian » Jul 07, 2014 5:44 pm

http://www.lfr.org/lfr/csl/library/airreport.pdf
p. 36:

The results of the overall SRI analysis are
consistent with results of similar experiments in other laboratories. For instance, an overview of
forced choice precognition experiments (Honorton and Ferrari, 1989) found an average "effect
size" per experimenter of 0.033, whereas all forced choice experiments at SRI resulted in a similar
effect size of .052. [...]

Methodologically sound remote viewing has not been undertaken at other laboratories, but a
similar regime called the ganzfeld (described in more detail in Chapter 5) has shown to be
similarly successful. The largest collection of ganzfeld experiments was conducted from 1983 to
1989 at the Psychophysical Research Laboratories in Princeton, NJ. Those experiments were also reported by separating novices from experienced subjects. The overall effect size for novice
remote viewing at SRI was 0.164, while the effect size for novices in the ganzfeld at PRL was a
very similar 0.17. For experienced remote viewers at SRI the overall effect size was 0.385; for
experienced viewers in the ganzfeld experiments it was 0.35. These consistent results across
laboratories help refute the idea that the successful experiments at any one lab are the result of
fraud, sloppy protocols or some methodological problem and also provide an indication of what
can be expected in future experiments.

How is possible, that overall results have found 0.052 effect size, but separately, novice and experimented have found bigger effect size??
Transilvanian

Male

Hungary (hu)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby laklak » Jul 07, 2014 5:55 pm

I actually worked really well, but they want you to think it didn't. They're looking at you right now, man.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#9  Postby BlackBart » Jul 07, 2014 6:01 pm

Yet, strangely, nobody ever uses it to steal credit cards details... or internet passwords... or safe combinations :ask:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby laklak » Jul 07, 2014 6:10 pm

That's what you think, password111.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#11  Postby BlackBart » Jul 07, 2014 6:14 pm

HA!!! Wrong!!! It's password1111!

Bugger.
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby DavidMcC » Jul 07, 2014 7:16 pm

laklak wrote:I actually worked really well, but they want you to think it didn't. They're looking at you right now, man.

:lol: :smile:
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Transilvanian » Jul 07, 2014 7:46 pm

Hey! I adked you how is possible, that two bigger effect sizes, combined result a smaller...
Transilvanian

Male

Hungary (hu)
Print view this post

#14  Postby BlackBart » Jul 07, 2014 8:10 pm

We give up. How?
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby laklak » Jul 07, 2014 8:15 pm

:dunno: Search me. Must be aliens.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Transilvanian » Jul 07, 2014 9:22 pm

Ohh I don't whabt to proove anything, I just cant answer this math problem :))
Transilvanian

Male

Hungary (hu)
Print view this post

#17  Postby BlackBart » Jul 07, 2014 11:03 pm

Yes, we know. You keep saying that. Whether you want to prove anything or not is irrelevant. To be honest I doubt you'll find anyone here who is going to bother double checking statistical minutae which A) We have no way of knowing is accurate or complete and B) Never proved anything positive anyway.
If you're having problems with the math then maybe a course on statistics may prove helpful.
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Transilvanian » Jul 07, 2014 11:08 pm

-.-
Transilvanian

Male

Hungary (hu)
Print view this post

#19  Postby kennyc » Jul 07, 2014 11:11 pm

BlackBart wrote:Yes, we know. You keep saying that. Whether you want to prove anything or not is irrelevant. To be honest I doubt you'll find anyone here who is going to bother double checking statistical minutae which A) We have no way of knowing is accurate or complete and B) Never proved anything positive anyway.
If you're having problems with the math then maybe a course on statistics may prove helpful.

:this:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby laklak » Jul 07, 2014 11:51 pm

I'm going to remote view the statistics and run a psychic analysis of the data now.

pyschicing

psychicing

psychicing

OK, got it. It's all bullshit.

But I'm looking for someone who has recently lost a...a...male? relative whose name begins with....A?......M?.....Q?.....Female beginning with D?......
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural