telepathy

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

telepathy

#1  Postby Ayhan Coskun » Aug 18, 2016 1:56 pm

What are your opinions about telepathy and mind reading being real. I remember an episode of Arthur, even though its a kid show (doesn't mean its not factual information), where the brain says mind reading goes against the laws of physics, but a lot of people ever since 2013 are into the new age movement who claim to live by telepathic experience and live by the secret the law of attraction. I'm a new member I was just wondering what are peoples thoughts on this subject, sorry if its in the wrong section
Ayhan Coskun

Name: Ayhan Coskun

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: telepathy

#2  Postby blindfaith » Aug 18, 2016 2:16 pm

its complete bullshit and there is no credible evidence to prove otherwise

cheers
The best explanation for the absence of convincing reasons for god's existence is god's nonexistence

john shook
blindfaith

Name: darren
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Thommo » Aug 18, 2016 2:18 pm

There's not a shred of credible supporting evidence for either phenomenon. So called "successful" research into psi or esp (or whatever the latest naming convention is) is plagued by a history of methodological problems from small sample sizes, p-hacking and failure of replication to plain charlatanism.

It's long been observed that the better the methodology and controls in place on a study into telepathy or a similar area of study the less likely to get a result that isn't directly predicted by chance.
Thommo

Print view this post

#4  Postby Sendraks » Aug 18, 2016 2:18 pm

There isn't evidence for a mechanism by which one person can read the thoughts of another, at least not remotely and only via their own brain.

Neural imaging has come a long way from the 1970s but, it is still in its relative infancy and we're still in the early stages of mapping brain activity to thought processes. Maybe one day, if we're to go very sci-fi, there may be a device that allows us to read someone's thoughts with sufficient accuracy to determine intent but, we're a long ways off that.

As it stands, proponents of telepathy and similar woo, are wholly reliant on articulating their delusions by explaining that telepathy occurs by immaterial processes beyond the realms of science and their evidence based is utterly anecdotal, as opposed to anything objectively tested. As Blindfaith said, it is complete bullshit and there is no credible evidence for it.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Ayhan Coskun » Aug 18, 2016 2:23 pm

thanks you, that's what I was thinking, but u know how dangerous it is for people who still swear by their telepathic experience, how do u know ur hearing other peoples thoughts, maybes its just ur minds hearing what u think is there thoughts and your acting on it
Ayhan Coskun

Print view this post

#6  Postby Sendraks » Aug 18, 2016 2:27 pm

People can convince themselves of anything if they want to and for whom anecdote is sufficient evidence of "Proof" of the supernatural. Sadly, some of these delusional people cannot understand why their "evidence" is utterly unpersuasive to those of a sceptical and scientific mindset.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Animavore » Aug 18, 2016 3:55 pm

Orson Welles explains this well.

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby NamelessFaceless » Aug 18, 2016 5:28 pm

Ayhan Coskun wrote:What are your opinions about telepathy and mind reading being real. I remember an episode of Arthur, even though its a kid show (doesn't mean its not factual information), where the brain says mind reading goes against the laws of physics, but a lot of people ever since 2013 are into the new age movement who claim to live by telepathic experience and live by the secret the law of attraction. I'm a new member I was just wondering what are peoples thoughts on this subject, sorry if its in the wrong section

Since 2013? I'm sure it goes back a lot further than that.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby laklak » Aug 18, 2016 8:53 pm

Hogwash and claptrap and bunk, Oh My!
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#10  Postby zoon » Aug 18, 2016 9:16 pm

Ayhan Coskun wrote:thanks you, that's what I was thinking, but u know how dangerous it is for people who still swear by their telepathic experience, how do u know ur hearing other peoples thoughts, maybes its just ur minds hearing what u think is there thoughts and your acting on it

Yes, humans have evolved to be good at guessing what's going on in other people's s brains, and some people manage to convince themselves that the guesses are telepathy. There's no evidence at all that it's anything but guesswork.

As was said above, it may one day be physically possible to pick up what is happening in someone else's brain in detail, but neuroscience is nowhere near that stage yet.
zoon

Print view this post

#11  Postby pelfdaddy » Aug 18, 2016 9:39 pm

After thousands of years of effort, and untold wastage of time and material, we are no closer to reading thoughts using only our minds than were the ancient profiteers of fake wizardry, and yet...

...due to the efforts of scientists/empiricists of the past century, I can, while sitting in my garage in Omaha, Nebraska using both hands to repair a table, communicate very clearly to my friend in Brisbane, Australia while he drives his car in heavy afternoon traffic.
pelfdaddy

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Doubtdispelled » Aug 18, 2016 9:56 pm

Ayhan Coskun wrote:live by the secret the law of attraction.

Wut??
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#13  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Aug 18, 2016 9:59 pm

Doubtdispelled wrote:

Wut??

The law of attraction allows us to stop feeling sorry for those starving children in Africa. Because if you understand the law of attraction, you understand that the Universe wants to give you what you wish for. Those starving children in Africa obviously want to starve. Otherwise, how would the law of attraction make any sense?
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Doubtdispelled » Aug 18, 2016 10:01 pm

ScholasticSpastic wrote:
Doubtdispelled wrote:

Wut??

The law of attraction allows us to stop feeling sorry for those starving children in Africa. Because if you understand the law of attraction, you understand that the Universe wants to give you what you wish for. Those starving children in Africa obviously want to starve. Otherwise, how would the law of attraction make any sense?

Well yeah, but what about the secret one? Eh? What about that?
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#15  Postby laklak » Aug 18, 2016 10:04 pm

Can't tell you. It's a secret.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Aug 18, 2016 10:06 pm

Doubtdispelled wrote:

It's not a very big secret. Not since that book came out. That book that completely changed the world because now everyone can always get whatever they want just by wishing really hard for it. Like how those African children wish they could starve to death. Except that it didn't actually change the world because that's always been how things work, so reading about it in the book didn't actually help anyone. Except that it fulfilled the author's wish to become rich by selling a book. Most authors clearly wish they could remain poor. Silly authors.
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Doubtdispelled » Aug 18, 2016 10:13 pm

ScholasticSpastic wrote:
Doubtdispelled wrote:

It's not a very big secret. Not since that book came out. That book that completely changed the world because now everyone can always get whatever they want just by wishing really hard for it. Like how those African children wish they could starve to death. Except that it didn't actually change the world because that's always been how things work, so reading about it in the book didn't actually help anyone. Except that it fulfilled the author's wish to become rich by selling a book. Most authors clearly wish they could remain poor. Silly authors.

Telepathy obviously isn't working very well for you right now, SS. But never mind, I'll just have whatever you're having.

:cheers:

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#18  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Aug 18, 2016 10:19 pm

Doubtdispelled wrote:
Telepathy obviously isn't working very well for you right now, SS.

Incorrect. I don't know which it is, but I can see that you're thinking of a number between one and the first ten digits of pi.
But never mind, I'll just have whatever you're having.

You wish.

~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby igorfrankensteen » Aug 18, 2016 10:45 pm

IF there is anything to telepathy, the way it would most likely work, would have to do with the same brain waves which are currently measurable by existing devices.

The very logical reason why all efforts to test for it under scientific, clinical supervision have failed, is because the act of testing itself, prevents telepathy from taking place.

Essentially, the act of trying to either "read a mind" OR simply to perceive things within one's own mind, is the equivalent (from a brainwave point of view) of shouting while someone is whispering to you.

If the test for auditory capacity was to call upon the person to close their eyes, and scream at the top of their lungs, while someone else whispers in the opposite direction, science would be absolutely certain that "hearing" is a scam.
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Ayhan Coskun » Aug 19, 2016 1:01 am

the best part is when you ask people to describe what they hear or the scenario and the answer is, I cant say, you just know it,
Ayhan Coskun

Print view this post

Next

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural