The feeling of being watched...

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

The feeling of being watched...

#1  Postby quas » Feb 10, 2012 12:15 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Psychic_Staring_Effect

You know that feeling you get when you are being watched? Some say it's bollocks, it's just your imagination or whatever, what if there's a scientific basis for this? For the sake of argument, pretend there is a scientific basis for this. How would you attempt to investigate this phenomena?
Last edited by quas on Feb 10, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: The feeling of being watched...

#2  Postby Jehannum » Feb 10, 2012 12:17 pm

I have never had this feeling.

Rupert Sheldrake has investigated it.

I think it's bollocks.
Extraordinary claims require ordinary evidence.
Jehannum

Name: Peter
Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Fallible » Feb 10, 2012 12:26 pm

I vaguely remember something about it being electreomagnetic field fluctuations or something, but that's probably bollocks.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Animavore » Feb 10, 2012 1:22 pm

I remember a couple of girls in my English class in 6th year, before the teacher arrived, were talking about, "D'yi know when yi ge' da' feelin' somewan's starin' a'cha an' y' toorn aroun' an' somewan's lookin' a'cha an' dey look away? Dat's freaky."

Being the empirical sort I decided to test it out. I stared at her (I was behind her about two desks back) for a while to see if she'd get edgy and turn around. She didn't. I tried again but the second time with intent. Still nothing.

I didn't dismiss it immediately. I still harboured the notion that my thoughts could affect others, even more so with training (Henry Sugar and all that), so I simply put it down to the fact I was doing it deliberately rather than if I were doing it naturally without really thinking about it. It wasn't 'til Derren Brown much later I understood the effect in probabilistic terms, that it would be more surprising if you never got the feeling of being watched and turned around to see someone quickly look away when you consider how often we 1) look around in general without prior thought of being watched (or any type of thought) and 2) how often of those times that we do look around that we then see someone quickly look away. It's going to happen occasionally that 1 and 2 happen after the feeling of being watched. Though to be honest I think that that thought arises along with 1, maybe even just after, not before, then is pushed back to before in the casual chain. It's a form of confirmation bias mixed with mistaking correlation for causality and coupled with the believe that our thoughts can have actions and consequences.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5  Postby babel » Feb 10, 2012 1:39 pm

I sure hope it's bollocks. Might give me away at times. :whistle:
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Arcanyn » Feb 10, 2012 1:49 pm

It'd be pretty useful if it were true - you could covertly send messages to people in Morse code by staring at them and blinking.
Power doesn't corrupt, it reveals. Only when someone is free from constraints and consequences do they show their true character.

Sign the petition for the William Lane Craig/David Icke debate here:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/craigickedebate/signatures
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Ironclad » Feb 10, 2012 1:52 pm

No, it's not bolloxs, it's perfectly true. I should know, being psychotic and all.

Psychic, I meant to say. Yeh.. :shifty:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby campermon » Feb 10, 2012 2:51 pm

quas wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Psychic_Staring_Effect

You know that feeling you get when you are being watched? Some say it's bollocks, it's just your imagination or whatever, what if there's a scientific basis for this? For the sake of argument, pretend there is a scientific basis for this. How would you attempt to investigate this phenomena?

Sounds like a job for Jerome, Twistor and me.....

:lol:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby twistor59 » Feb 10, 2012 4:28 pm

campermon wrote:

yeah, and I know where you live. (well, I know what you'd type into netweather.tv if you were obsessed with the snow forecast anyway)
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby blindfaith » Feb 10, 2012 4:32 pm

:shock: i hope its not real otherwise i will have to stop perving at womens jubblies
The best explanation for the absence of convincing reasons for god's existence is god's nonexistence

john shook
blindfaith

Name: darren
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 10, 2012 4:34 pm

Selection bias. What about all those times you get the feeling but you're not actually being watched? They're forgotten.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby GrahamH » Feb 10, 2012 4:35 pm

quas wrote:How would you attempt to investigate this phenomena?

Not by the Sheldrake Method, I suspect.

People look at each other a lot, its what we, as a social species, do.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#13  Postby campermon » Feb 10, 2012 4:40 pm

twistor59 wrote:
campermon wrote:

yeah, and I know where you live. (well, I know what you'd type into netweather.tv if you were obsessed with the snow forecast anyway)

Bloody snow!
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Feb 10, 2012 4:55 pm

If it's detectable by the brain, then it is certainly detectable by instruments.

The problem is, it takes electrodes pressed right up to your scalp in order to pick anything up with instruments and your brain is a hell of a lot closer to you than anyone else's brain. So it is like trying to listen to someone whisper ten feet away with a boombox at full volume pressed against your head.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby LIFE » Feb 10, 2012 4:56 pm

quas wrote:For the sake of argument, pretend there is a scientific basis for this. How would you attempt to investigate this phenomena?

Double-blind trials.
"If you think education is expensive, try the cost of ignorance" - Derek Bok
"Words that make questions may not be questions at all" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
LIFE
Site Admin

Name: Bernhard
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 10, 2012 5:49 pm

LIFE wrote:
quas wrote:For the sake of argument, pretend there is a scientific basis for this. How would you attempt to investigate this phenomena?

Double-blind trials.

If they're both blind, how can they watch, or check whether they're being watched?

I'll get my coat.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby LIFE » Feb 10, 2012 7:11 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
LIFE wrote:

Double-blind trials.

If they're both blind, how can they watch, or check whether they're being watched?

I'll get my coat.

:lol: Doh, I edited my post and didn't double-check :doh:
But yeah...people will hopefully get what I meant :shifty:
"If you think education is expensive, try the cost of ignorance" - Derek Bok
"Words that make questions may not be questions at all" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
LIFE
Site Admin

Name: Bernhard
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Regina » Feb 10, 2012 7:23 pm

LIFE wrote:

Double-blind trials.

I've been watching you.
Bet you didn't notice! :mrgreen:
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#19  Postby jerome » Feb 10, 2012 8:33 pm

I'd start by looking up the existing studies on LEXSCIEN and pulling t papers - quite a few in the JSPR over the years for instance, then checking out the overview of the topic in Etzel Cardena (ed) Varieties of the Anomalous Experience, and the section on it in Radin's books, where he does a metanalysis of published studies of two types - where the person observed was aware and consciously stating whether they were observed or not, and the second to my mind more interesting where GSR/Heart rate/blood pressure /other arousal signs were monitored for an effect.

I seem to recall Radin claims odd of millions to one again chance based on his metaanalysis, but I have no idea if that is correct or not - while a retraction was published when a Nature I think reviewer got the maths wrong and published an unfair critique in a review or something (google it) the sceptics Andrew Endersby metanalysis of Ganzfeld studies (where Radin again claims vast numbers to one against chance) was significantly more conservative; though still came out highly significant, and actually a good argument for psi. I guess I'm saying be careful with Radin's figures, but he is certainly worth reading.

Now if you are going to run such a test, I'd recommend looking up Chris French and Rupert Sheldrake, both of whom have been heavily involved in this in the past. The SPR also will put you in touch with other researchers - and check out the webpages of the Koestler Parapsychology Unit at Edinburgh Uni.

I will have to try informal running trials with Campermon and Twistor when we meet up, on an informal basis, but I'm happy to advise and point you at the literature, but I think it's many dozens of papers long by now. :)

Hope helpful
j x
Last edited by jerome on Feb 10, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
jerome

Name: CJ
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby jerome » Feb 10, 2012 8:36 pm

Spearthrower wrote:Selection bias. What about all those times you get the feeling but you're not actually being watched? They're forgotten.

That works just fine for why people think they have the ability "in the field", and I think you are right; but there is a large (and some completely automated) experimental literature that seems to support it as I recall. I think it may be a case where a handful of failures to replicate get far more attention than they deserve - as there seems to be some interesting work in the area. Not involving spooks, I avoid it! :tongue:

j x
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
jerome

Name: CJ
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural