z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: The great Derren Brown

#2  Postby monkeyboy » Apr 16, 2012 8:37 am

I love how she describes feeling "weird" when perhaps she should have said "foolish and childish". Reminded me of watching all those hypnotists and mediums at work. It's all the power of suggestion on gullible and willing minds. Minds that are willing to accept the whole schmuckery of the paranormal or mind powers at work.
At least Derren Brown is out there showing it at work and then lifting the lid on what is really happening to people.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#3  Postby zulumoose » Apr 16, 2012 9:06 am

Since she was not in a position to see him binding the feet of the doll, I expect that means he hypnotised her in advance, and primed her to react in that way. It doesn't invalidate what he is illustrating, but it is rather typical of what he does that not all of the prep work is revealed, and he tries to make it seem more dramatic and spontaneous than it actually is.

He doesn't mind us knowing that hypnotism and suggestion is at work here, that is in fact his point. What he wants us to believe though( or at least doesn't mind us believing), is that he managed to achieve that level of hypnotism during the scenes we see on camera, which I think is extremely unlikely to be the case.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Jumbo » Apr 16, 2012 11:48 am

Saw him live last Sunday. If you get the chance then its well worth the ticket price. I'm not going to give away what went on other than to say it was a very very good show and left plenty of questions as to how the heck he produced the effects he did.

There was one instance of hypnotism at least (though he kept reassuring the subject that they were not hypnotised which i thought might actually be part of the induction). It was pretty quick too. From selecting potentials from the audience at large to focusing on one subject to actually controlling the subject was under 5 minutes.
The Feynman Problem-Solving Algorithm

1. Write down the problem.
2. Think very hard.
3. Write down the answer.
Jumbo

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Mr.Samsa » Apr 16, 2012 11:53 am

zulumoose wrote:Since she was not in a position to see him binding the feet of the doll, I expect that means he hypnotised her in advance, and primed her to react in that way. It doesn't invalidate what he is illustrating, but it is rather typical of what he does that not all of the prep work is revealed, and he tries to make it seem more dramatic and spontaneous than it actually is.

He doesn't mind us knowing that hypnotism and suggestion is at work here, that is in fact his point. What he wants us to believe though( or at least doesn't mind us believing), is that he managed to achieve that level of hypnotism during the scenes we see on camera, which I think is extremely unlikely to be the case.

What kind of prep work is required to trick someone into believing they are being hypnotised? Since hypnotism is just convincing gullible people to do stuff they already want to do with the excuse that they were "hypnotised", I'm not sure I understand why they would need to be prepped in any way.
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#6  Postby zulumoose » Apr 16, 2012 1:20 pm

You miss my point. How did she know that the instruction was to immobilise her legs? Nothing that he does up to that point identifies the legs specifically, and it looks like she cannot see what he is doing to the doll. He asked her how she felt and she focussed on the legs, why?

I suspect that this gives him away, he had prepped her to respond in this way off camera, perhaps a minor edit, but a significant one.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Mr.Samsa » Apr 16, 2012 1:22 pm

Ah fair enough, I see what you mean. I haven't seen the video yet as the link was down when I last tried.
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby rEvolutionist » Apr 16, 2012 2:04 pm

I don't know how he does what he does, but I think he is a fantastic showman regardless of how he does it. I recently watched a bunch of episodes spanning a few years that a mate copied for me ages ago. Some of the best entertainment I have ever seen. I'd love to know all his tricks and secrets.
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby Jumbo » Apr 16, 2012 2:12 pm

If you really want to know some of his techniques then you can get hold of a book called "Pure Effect". It was written by Brown for magicians and other performers to use to base some of their effects on. Its out of print now but copies turn up here and there occasionally but you will be lucky to get one for under £100 these days.

There is some devastatingly simple stuff in there which relies on simple probabilities which while it won't always work will be very effective when it does.
The Feynman Problem-Solving Algorithm

1. Write down the problem.
2. Think very hard.
3. Write down the answer.
Jumbo

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Sovereign » Apr 17, 2012 1:27 am

Jumbo wrote:If you really want to know some of his techniques then you can get hold of a book called "Pure Effect". It was written by Brown for magicians and other performers to use to base some of their effects on. Its out of print now but copies turn up here and there occasionally but you will be lucky to get one for under £100 these days.

There is some devastatingly simple stuff in there which relies on simple probabilities which while it won't always work will be very effective when it does.

Just looked it up on Amazon $200.
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby quas » May 17, 2012 1:44 pm

zulumoose wrote:You miss my point. How did she know that the instruction was to immobilise her legs? Nothing that he does up to that point identifies the legs specifically, and it looks like she cannot see what he is doing to the doll. He asked her how she felt and she focussed on the legs, why?

I suspect that this gives him away, he had prepped her to respond in this way off camera, perhaps a minor edit, but a significant one.

He told her to "stay". That's the hypnotic suggestion, right?
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

#12  Postby jaydot » May 22, 2012 9:20 pm

why does he not tell her that he never removed the ring? that was obvious from the get go.
jaydot

Print view this post

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural