"The Hum" in Woodland, County Durham

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

"The Hum" in Woodland, County Durham

#1  Postby tnjrp » Jun 13, 2011 9:38 am

According to the world's number one science news magazine (after the 'net version of Pravda and the India Daily, of course), the village of Woodland in County Durham (in North East England)
is the latest community to claim to be being hit by the phenomenon known as "the hum". Residents [...] claim that every night a noise permeates the air similar to the throb of a car engine. It is sometimes so strong that it even shakes the bed of one of the householders. But no matter how hard they look, the community cannot find the source of the problem and, at their wits end, have called in the council to investigate. The 300-strong population is the latest around the world to be hit by the rumble which has in the past led to wild conspiracy theories blaming it on UFOs, government experiments and abandoned mine shafts.

More @
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... e-hum.html

So, you on the case already Jerome? :popcorn:
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: "The Hum" in Woodland, County Durham

#2  Postby stijndeloose » Jun 13, 2011 9:50 am

:popcorn:
Fallible wrote:Don't bacon picnic.
stijndeloose
Banned User

Name: Stdlnjo
Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#3  Postby jerome » Jun 13, 2011 1:43 pm

Not had chance to look in detail but could be a very rare but presumably natural phenomenon, called hummadruz. Science has as yet no explanation for it – it usually occurs at around one thousand feet above sea level, on hot days, usually in grassy meadows, when the wind is low. Temperatures in the high eighties to mid nineties Fahrenheit are usually associated with the phenomena. More controversially, it has been noted they often occur in Britain near ancient megalithic sites or early chapels etc, but the megalithic sites cluster around micro-faulting, so that may be a correlation not a cause.

The earliest known mention is from Gilbert White, the famous natural historian, in his Natural History of Selborne 1769. He wrote "Humming in the air. There is a natural occurrence to be met with upon the highest part of our downs in hot summer days... a loud humming as of bees in the air, though not one insect is to be seen. The sound is distinctly to be heard the whole common through. Any person would suppose that a large swarm of bees was in motion and playing about his head"

Other people have less pleasant experiences – Cornish musician Sue Aston records “From my own experience, the church at Warleggan (which is near Bodmin in Cornwall) inspired my own music of the same name. The inspiration here was different in that the images conjured up were dark and foreboding. I walked up the hill to the Church, and a sense of apprehension descended upon me. As I entered the Church, I immediately experienced the crushing effect of the atmosphere of the place. To begin with, I thought that I was going to faint, although I was feeling perfectly well and alert, but I could not understand the rushing noise in my ears. I swallowed hard, expecting my ears to pop, but still the noise persisted. The sound was almost electronic in a way - as though there was a motor boat droning away under the floor. I remember feeling a sense that something powerful was present with me as I entered the church - it was a most disarming experience. I experienced the phenomenon sometimes described as the 'Hummadruz'. It is also known as 'the singing' and can occur on moors and in old churches.”

The phenomena is very rare, but many examples and much more detail can be found in a series of articles by British researcher John Billingsley which can be found at http://www.northernearth.co.uk/perm/hum/hum.htm I have not encountered any record of cases from outside the British Isles, but it is likely to be a global phenomenon.
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
jerome

Name: CJ
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Mike_L » Jun 13, 2011 2:09 pm

Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby twistor59 » Jun 13, 2011 4:24 pm

There are several well known locations for the hum phenomenon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hum
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby james1v » Jun 13, 2011 4:58 pm

I blame the Buddhists. :coffee:

:grin:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Stapledon » Jun 13, 2011 11:48 pm

@tnjrp, again interesting stuff :) :coffee: ... .

Jerome's exquisite information lets me exclude all UFO and HAARP/secret microwave weapon explanations, at least for now :mrgreen: . Seems to be a worldwide, consistent and ancient phenomenon.

Speaking of Buddhists, @james, I have to think of Hindu Philosophy, that the Cosmos IS Sound/Vibration.

Low frequency vibration of large, hot air-masses over flatland ? Maybe on insulas or near the coastlines ? Crossing of multidirectional soundwaves (of ocean waves) ? :think:

If I would trust the intuition of the British musician, Jerome cited, I'd say: Enchanted Cymric Wales/Britain. Too much Karmic Life Energy resonates at history-rich or sacral places (battlefields, churches, monoliths). :pray:
Stapledon

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby tnjrp » Jun 14, 2011 6:32 am

jerome wrote:Cornish musician Sue Aston records “From my own experience, the church at Warleggan (which is near Bodmin in Cornwall) inspired my own music of the same name. The inspiration here was different in that the images conjured up were dark and foreboding. I walked up the hill to the Church, and a sense of apprehension descended upon me. As I entered the Church, I immediately experienced the crushing effect of the atmosphere of the place. To begin with, I thought that I was going to faint, although I was feeling perfectly well and alert, but I could not understand the rushing noise in my ears. I swallowed hard, expecting my ears to pop, but still the noise persisted. The sound was almost electronic in a way - as though there was a motor boat droning away under the floor. I remember feeling a sense that something powerful was present with me as I entered the church - it was a most disarming experience
The late Finnish theosophist and faith healer Tapio Kaitaharju wrote about a very similar experience in an abandoned church in Greece IIRC. Have to look it up. Maybe it was the Hum instead of the evil side of Mother Nature he experienced :mrgreen:

The phenomena is very rare, but many examples and much more detail can be found in a series of articles by British researcher John Billingsley which can be found at http://www.northernearth.co.uk/perm/hum/hum.htm
:cheers: have to take a look at that as time permits.

EDIT: the currently working link looks to be http://www.northernearth.co.uk/permhum.htm :ask:
Last edited by tnjrp on Jun 14, 2011 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Mike_L » Jun 14, 2011 7:22 am

An inexplicable nocturnal hum in my hometown (about four years ago) was eventually traced to a newspaper house that was operating a high-speed rotary printing-press in the early hours of the morning.

As for the historically older humming sounds, I can only assume that the Atlantean inhabitants of our hollow Earth have been using heavy industry a lot longer than we surface dwellers have.... :smile:

http://www.atlanteanconspiracy.com/2011/01/hollow-earth-evidence.html
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby tnjrp » Jun 14, 2011 7:27 am

Ha, I knew it! It's those pesky Molemen from Earth's core again! For further evidence, I present you a rare snapshot of the nefarious little critters with a Hand-Held Hum Generator:
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Mike_L » Jun 14, 2011 7:52 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby BlackBart » Jun 14, 2011 8:11 am

I've heard it hums a bit in County Durham.

:hide:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby tnjrp » Jun 14, 2011 12:15 pm

Some guy went to Woodland to look for the Hum and made a U-t00b vid of it:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVZ4M_9u5jY[/youtube]

He didn't find any Molemen, sadly, but neither did he apparently find anybody who has actually, like, heard this supposed sound... :think:
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#14  Postby trubble76 » Jun 14, 2011 1:46 pm

This is down to virtual phonons that are created along with their antiphonon counterparts. The antiphonons are identical in every way except charge and so to our ears sound identical. Both sound like a loud hum. There must be an as yet undetected phonic black hole wandering the meadows of Ol' Blighty. I'll get me pitchfork.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby twistor59 » Jun 14, 2011 1:50 pm

Or maybe the good Dr's sonic screwdriver needs recharging.
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby HughMcB » Jun 14, 2011 3:56 pm

Any audio recordings of this humjob?
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#17  Postby james1v » Jun 14, 2011 4:10 pm

HughMcB wrote:Any audio recordings of this humjob?

I can do a fair imitation...

It sounds like this/ cough!....Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

:evilgrin:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby BlackBart » Jun 14, 2011 4:32 pm

james1v wrote:

Nah, it's more like the sound Ark of the Covenent makes when it burns the Swastika off the crate...

waaaaawaaaawaawaawaaaaawaaaawaawaawaaaaawaaaawaawaawaaaaawaaaawaawaawaaaaawaaaawaawaa....

:snooty:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby james1v » Jun 14, 2011 4:44 pm

BlackBart wrote:
james1v wrote:

Nah, it's more like the sound Ark of the Covenent makes when it burns the Swastika off the crate...

waaaaawaaaawaawaawaaaaawaaaawaawaawaaaaawaaaawaawaawaaaaawaaaawaawaawaaaaawaaaawaawaa....

:snooty:

Actually... :think: I too hear that sound quite often, it seems to emanate from the missus's direction, when i announce I'm off to the pub! :think:
james1v

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby HughMcB » Jun 14, 2011 5:17 pm

Could it not be more of a hovering UFO; wooooooaw-wooooooaw-wooooooaw-wooooooaw-wooooooaw....
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural