UK: Belief in ghosts is rising

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: UK: Belief in ghosts is rising

#21  Postby tolman » Sep 18, 2013 8:44 pm

What *kind* of belief are we talking about though?

Belief for entertainment (as Kaleid suggested), or belief that actually affects someone's behaviour?

Someone can 'believe' in Bigfoot, but if they live in Essex and don't even get to the point of spending a few quid buying a book about Bigfoot, what is the meaning of the belief?
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: UK: Belief in ghosts is rising

#22  Postby jerome » Sep 18, 2013 8:51 pm

tolman wrote:What *kind* of belief are we talking about though?

Belief for entertainment (as Kaleid suggested), or belief that actually affects someone's behaviour?

Someone can 'believe' in Bigfoot, but if they live in Essex and don't even get to the point of spending a few quid buying a book about Bigfoot, what is the meaning of the belief?

Exactly. When Dave Wood was designing the survey questions I asked exactly that. I can share with you some of the data though I think - well here it is anyway --

More than Half of Britons believe in Ghosts - Key Findings:
- 52% of Britons agreed to a greater or lesser extent with the question: I believe some people have experienced ghosts
- This is an increase on previous polls in 2005 (40%, Gallup) and 2009 (39%, Comres)
- 42% of British men believe in ghosts compared to 63% of women
- People aged 35-44 were most likely to believe (61%) whilst 18-24 were least likely (40%)
- Class was not a big indicator (ABC1 at 53% and C2DE at 52%)
- People from the East Midlands are most likely to believe (65%) and London the least (45%)
- 22% of people reported having had a paranormal experience, the majority of these (at 15%) being ghost experiences

Drop in Belief in UFOs in Britain - Key Findings:
- 39% of Britons agreed to a greater or lesser extent with the question: I believe some people have witnessed UFOs
- This is down from 44% in 2010 (YouGov)
- Fewer men believe in UFOs (36%) compared to women (41%)
- People aged 35-44 were most likely to believe (49%) whilst 18-24 were least likely (31%)
- Class was not a big indicator (ABC1 at 37% and C2DE at 40%)
- People from the North East are most likely to believe (51%) and London and the South West the least (32%)
- 2% of people reported having seen a UFO, down on previous studies suggesting one in ten people had seen UFOs.

You can probably find analysis somewhere at http://www.assap.ac.uk

However I totally agree tolman, as a (former) RE lecturer I would draw a firm distinction between professed beliefs and behaviours...

j x
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
jerome

Name: CJ
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural