Weird almost car crash

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Weird almost car crash

#1  Postby inkaStepa » Oct 20, 2010 4:21 pm

My mom and her friend Mari were both on their way home in separate cars. Mari said she felt like she had to pull over and decided to. My mom said she was going to follow Mari but for some reason decided to take a different route. The car behind Mari (which would've been my mom since she pulled over had she not gone a different route) stopped at the red light and a truck crashed into it. I joked with them about it saying "oh God must not have cared about that other car" but I don't know how to explain why they both avoided driving their normal way. It's a weird coincidence?
inkaStepa

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Weird almost car crash

#2  Postby chairman bill » Oct 20, 2010 4:27 pm

But wouldn't your mum have pulled over too, just to check that Mari was OK?

Every event is part of a sequence of events, and sometimes those sequences are punctuated by notable, and sometimes dangerous events. We notice those, and draw conclusions when often there are none to be drawn. Shit happens. As humans, we seem to have a problem accepting that fact.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Sityl » Oct 20, 2010 4:30 pm

The human mind likes to find patterns, because if we find a pattern it can help us survive. If we know, for example that there's a pattern between hearing a gunshot and danger, then we can react to the gunshot. The ability to recognise patterns gave us an evolutionary advantage, but along with that ability is the ability to recognise patterns when there actually isn't a pattern there. These "false" patterns are often used to justify beliefs.
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Sea Monkey » Oct 20, 2010 4:41 pm

It is as Bill said. There is little point considering what else might have happened because there is no guarantee that if she hadn't taken a different route that the events would have played out the same but with your mother being the car hit instead of the other driver.
"Where in the constitution is the seperation of Church and State?" Chrstine O'Donnel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYUvDjLPcwY - 2:49)
Sea Monkey

Print view this post

#5  Postby Tbickle » Oct 20, 2010 4:46 pm

^^Pretty much what Bill said. We see reasoning for things when they happen to us, usually when it's something good. How many times have we ever heard an amazing story where the person said, I had this sudden urge that I had to pull over to the side of the road, and when I did, a truck slammed into the back of the car almost killing me. We don't hear that because it wasn't an amazing story of how some supernatural force produced a benefit for that person. Sure, Mari felt the urge to pull over for some reason, but how do we know that she doesn't do this from time to time and nothing ever happened as a positive or negative of this action? If I were to light a candle everyday as part of a ceremony for it to rain outside, I shouldn't be too surprised when one day it does rain, but that doesn't mean that the candle had anything to do with it.

I have often found that people who claim that an amazing incident, such as this, that befell them also believed in some sort of a fate/psychic ability/supernatural foreboding before that event. After the fact, the easiest and more comforting way to deal with this near escape was that someone or something kept them from either dying or being seriously injured. It's nothing but confirmation bias as can and should be demonstrated by what happened to the other person being hit as a result. Sure, Mari was spared but the other person wasn't. If we wanted to, we could reasonably say that the product of this urge Mari encountered wasn't her safety, but rather the collision that the other person encountered. That doesn't sound as nice though, and we could also set up a stream of cause and effect that could go back weeks or years that put Mari, the driver who was hit and the driver of the truck into the same area at the same time, but what's the point? As Bill said, shit happens.
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural