A philosophy of music

Let's make one, together, na na na!

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: A philosophy of music

#21  Postby Fallible » Jun 15, 2019 6:44 am

scott1328 wrote:
LucidFlight wrote:Last night, I dreamt that I heard a French woman singing Careless Whispers, backed by 80s minimal wave percussion and warm synth pads in an ascending major chord progression. It was slightly off, but it was hauntingly captivating.

I am never going to dance again.

Well, guilty feet have got no rhythm.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Fallible » Jun 15, 2019 6:47 am

Fenrir wrote:C'mon feel the noise!

Girls grab the boys?
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Fenrir » Jun 15, 2019 8:56 am

Fallible wrote:
Fenrir wrote:C'mon feel the noise!

Girls grab the boys?

No no no no.

This is philosophy, by George, and we don't do any of that nasty squelchy stuff in philosophy, oh my word no, can't be having that.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Fallible » Jun 15, 2019 8:58 am

Squelchy. :tehe:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Hermit » Jun 15, 2019 9:13 am

Children! Get away from the filth of the mundane. Let's transcend the morass of the physical and discuss ideas. To get in the right mood for it, join me in singing Schiller's ode, set to music by Beethoven.

Freude, schöner Götterfunken,
Tochter aus Elysium,
Wir betreten feuertrunken,
Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!
Deine Zauber binden wieder
Was die Mode streng geteilt;
Alle Menschen werden Brüder
Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Wem der große Wurf gelungen
Eines Freundes Freund zu sein;
Wer ein holdes Weib errungen...

Wait! Wer ein holdes Weib errungen?

Fuck.

OK. How about we discuss gambling with Bitcoin?
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#26  Postby LucidFlight » Jun 15, 2019 9:24 am

jamest wrote:I've just been listening to the Chordettes greatest hits on youtube*. That wasn't my plan for tonight, it just somehow happened. I'm glad it did. Lifted my mood. Simple unpretentious music from the 50s, loved it for the most part, I'm not ashamed to say. The first half especially.

So, I thought I'd expose and challenge you all to the pretentiousness of your own musical choices. Muhaha.

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nRdHOC2W2s

There's a serious discussion to be had here somewhere, I'm sure. Perhaps if I mention God...

I thought I'd give the Chordettes a listen. The first song, "Born To Be With You", reminded me of how 50s music generally sounds depressing to me. "Eddie My Love", though, was pretty swell, despite its potentially depressing 50s doo-wop-iness. Perhaps the word I'm looking for is melancholic. Moving along, I didn't really enjoy the marching style of "Lay Down Your Arms". However, I think that this might be a song that would grow on me.

"Lollipop" was a delightfully light counterpoint to the well-trodden (but joyful) march that preceded it. A well-known classic that uniquely captures the era. "Mr. Sandman" is another wonderful classic. The knee-based percussion is something to behold. I should also add that the Sandman as a character is somewhat sinister in my mind, sneaking around with his magic dust and umbrella at night. I'm not sure if this what the song writers had in mind. Is it meant to be innocent but with a sinister veneer?

I think it's difficult to surpass Don Costa's orchestral rendition of "Never On A Sunday", but The Chordettes did a great job with some very suitable backing arrangement.

"A Girl's Work Is Never Done" is a version of "Yakety Yak" for girls, talking about "Mopping and sweeping the floor" and "While I cook, he reads a book." This was in no way sexist and really just a reflection of how women chose to live their lives back then. [cough]

A twangy guitar made an appearance in "No Other Arms, No Other Lips". I felt like I was in a Western, but wanted to move to Hawaii. "Bum bum bum bum...." Speaking of Hawaii, "Soft Sands" was lovely and mellow and I felt quite relaxed and needed a martini. I would definitely listen to a rendition of this at a jazz bar.

"Teenage Goodnight" met me with brushed snare patterns and the dinging of bells. A nice touch against the beautifully coordinated harmonies of The Chordettes. "The Wedding" was too "Doo doo doo"-ish for me. I found the male vocals off-putting and the lyrics claustrophobic. However, a surprise saxophone makes an appearance. Also, the church organ and bells at the end were brilliantly cheesy.

Considering the lack of AKAI S2000s back in the 50s, the use of sounds effects in "Zorro" was impressive. Mexicans and Hispanics will love this song. Now, the production on 'Faraway Star" was a bit rough, I have to say. Not sure if they recorded this through paper bags or something, but it wasn't the best. "Just Between You And Me" seemed to use the same paper bags... "Ba-daa-da-da dum." Did I hear a ukulele?

Overall, my initial fears of depression and melancholy were met with more lilt and buoyancy than expected. It's a great listen for all you gals out there, see.

6/10
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#27  Postby tuco » Jun 15, 2019 10:20 am

Hermit wrote:Children! Get away from the filth of the mundane. Let's transcend the morass of the physical and discuss ideas. To get in the right mood for it, join me in singing Schiller's ode, set to music by Beethoven.

Freude, schöner Götterfunken,
Tochter aus Elysium,
Wir betreten feuertrunken,
Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!
Deine Zauber binden wieder
Was die Mode streng geteilt;
Alle Menschen werden Brüder
Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Wem der große Wurf gelungen
Eines Freundes Freund zu sein;
Wer ein holdes Weib errungen...

Wait! Wer ein holdes Weib errungen?

Fuck.

OK. How about we discuss gambling with Bitcoin?

Yes, its a description of copulation. At least in Beethoven's head :)

Froh, wie seine Sonnen fliegen
Durch des Himmels prächt'gen Plan
Laufet, Brüder, eure Bahn,
Freudig, wie ein Held zum siegen.

Seid umschlungen, Millionen!

Make love not war.
tuco

Print view this post

#28  Postby laklak » Jun 15, 2019 2:13 pm

Gimme the beat, boys

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#29  Postby felltoearth » Jun 15, 2019 3:25 pm

Fallible wrote:Squelchy. :tehe:

"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)