A philosophy on how to find The Messiah, The Christ

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: A philosophy on how to find The Messiah, The Christ

#261  Postby John Platko » Mar 02, 2018 1:32 pm

Fallible wrote:
John Platko wrote:
Fallible wrote:Chuffin Nora... :nono:


I don't know about Nora but surely psychology has sussed out the persona of Christ by now. How would a psychologist distinguish a genuine Chirist from some dellusional psychotic thinking they are Christ if they walked into their office?


Gosh, I just don't know, and given the utmost importance of this issue, I really should spend my time arguing about it on the internet more.


I was amazed at how many people on the internet struggle with this issue. The videos of the guy I posted a few comments back show how important it is for mental health care professionals to be able to handle this sort of thing - even if that means directing the person to the appropriate expert on such matters.

In his first video he was talking like mental illness is catching the brass ring - 3 years later, after what seems like some great mental health care, he has a better perspective on his illness. But others like this Jesus, have a different view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b5T-N5-1F4&t=257s


While we're here, how would a quantity surveyor be able to tell the difference between a real leprechaun and a fake one? We simply must know.


Oh that's easy: Capture the cobbler and then choose your three wishes wisely. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, the proof of the leprechaun is in your wishes coming true; they who have ears, let them hear. If you want to double check, make sure the leprechaun can save soles.
Last edited by John Platko on Mar 02, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like to imagine ...
User avatar
John Platko
 
Name: John Platko
Posts: 9411
Male

Country: US
United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: A philosophy on how to find The Messiah, The Christ

#262  Postby GrahamH » Mar 02, 2018 1:50 pm

John Platko wrote:
I was amazed at how many people on the internet struggle with this issue. The videos of the guy I posted a few comments back show how important it is for mental health care professionals to be able to handle this sort of thing - even if that means directing the person to the appropriate expert on such matters.


If you ignore the metaphysics it's pretty simple, isn't it?

If someone sincerely says they are the Messiah then they have mental health issues. I'm sure they don't test for miraculous powers to make the diagnosis.

A similar approach works for those that think they are Napoleon.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH
 
Posts: 20399

Print view this post

Re: A philosophy on how to find The Messiah, The Christ

#263  Postby John Platko » Mar 02, 2018 1:59 pm

GrahamH wrote:
John Platko wrote: I, like most here, know that we can't really know who JC was. We can only imagine that. Some imagine he didn't exist. Some imagine he was a bad man. Some imagine he was a good man. We can't really know what he meant by many of those quotes in books like Thomas - the people he said them too didn't understand them when he was right in front of them. I imagine something good and important in the story but I also reliaze that if I could somehow go back in time and meet the man he might be very different than what I imagine. Maybe I'm wrong about what I see in the story, for example, maybe what I take to be markers of mental illness in the story have some other explaination. We just don't know, we can only imagine.


So, in imagining that JC was mentally ill, or just a bit confused, how could such a person sort out who they really are?


You mean, how could JC sort out who he really was? I'm thinking he couldn't really sort it out - tragedy to follow.


How does a Messiah find check if they really are Christ? You have the miracle tests, and you have what other think about you.


Well at least some people didn't think JC was passing the miracle test:

The Demand for a Sign

16 The Pharisees and Sadducees came to Jesus and tested him by asking him to show them a sign from heaven.
2 He replied, “When evening comes, you say, ‘It will be fair weather, for the sky is red,’ 3 and in the morning, ‘Today it will be stormy, for the sky is red and overcast.’ You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times.[a] 4 A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah.” Jesus then left them and went away.


And JC did go around asking: "Who do men day that I am?"


But if you deny the significance of exercising divine powers (which you can't do) and you deny the reality and validity of other people aren't you locked into your delusion with no was to get to the truth?


Well the guy I posted above found that meds helped. Perhaps some appropriate CBT self talk will do the trick too. I'm thinking that could work for people who think they are leprechauns too.

And then there's this guy who tossed his meds and let Jesus "cure" him:




I see jamest doesn't want to deal with such serious points despite them being absolutely on the point of this topic.


:scratch: I don't understand what's up with that. I don't see where I'm going wrong. The answers were supposedly in the book of Thomas. I'm thinking people could create 40,000 different Christ personas from that book depending on how they interpret what is unclear.

The whole thing reminds me of the time this guy fed the hungry.

I like to imagine ...
User avatar
John Platko
 
Name: John Platko
Posts: 9411
Male

Country: US
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: A philosophy on how to find The Messiah, The Christ

#264  Postby GrahamH » Mar 02, 2018 3:04 pm

Kudos for trying John.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH
 
Posts: 20399

Print view this post

Re: A philosophy on how to find The Messiah, The Christ

#265  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 02, 2018 5:56 pm

I do wish that John would appear and take part in all these jamest threads. Sure, his random guessing isn't useful for actually figuring anything out, but the juxtaposition of his nonsense with jamest's puts it all into perspective for me.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14253
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: A philosophy on how to find The Messiah, The Christ

#266  Postby John Platko » Mar 02, 2018 6:38 pm

GrahamH wrote:Kudos for trying John.


Oh I don't deserve any credit. Ever since I realised I was John the Baptist I've had this powerful urge to be a voice crying in the wilderness. It's really not that bad except for how hard it is to find fresh locust this time of year. ;)
I like to imagine ...
User avatar
John Platko
 
Name: John Platko
Posts: 9411
Male

Country: US
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: A philosophy on how to find The Messiah, The Christ

#267  Postby John Platko » Mar 02, 2018 7:03 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:I do wish that John would appear and take part in all these jamest threads. Sure, his random guessing isn't useful for actually figuring anything out, but the juxtaposition of his nonsense with jamest's puts it all into perspective for me.


Hmmm. It's like two wrongs makes it right for you. :thumbup:
I like to imagine ...
User avatar
John Platko
 
Name: John Platko
Posts: 9411
Male

Country: US
United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: A philosophy on how to find The Messiah, The Christ

#268  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 02, 2018 7:10 pm

John Platko wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:I do wish that John would appear and take part in all these jamest threads. Sure, his random guessing isn't useful for actually figuring anything out, but the juxtaposition of his nonsense with jamest's puts it all into perspective for me.


Hmmm. It's like two wrongs makes it right for you. :thumbup:

I'd say it's more like two wrongs making it not even wrong.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14253
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: A philosophy on how to find The Messiah, The Christ

#269  Postby Fallible » Mar 02, 2018 7:53 pm

John Platko wrote:
Fallible wrote:
John Platko wrote:
Fallible wrote:Chuffin Nora... :nono:


I don't know about Nora but surely psychology has sussed out the persona of Christ by now. How would a psychologist distinguish a genuine Chirist from some dellusional psychotic thinking they are Christ if they walked into their office?


Gosh, I just don't know, and given the utmost importance of this issue, I really should spend my time arguing about it on the internet more.


I was amazed at how many people on the internet struggle with this issue. The videos of the guy I posted a few comments back show how important it is for mental health care professionals to be able to handle this sort of thing - even if that means directing the person to the appropriate expert on such matters.

In his first video he was talking like mental illness is catching the brass ring - 3 years later, after what seems like some great mental health care, he has a better perspective on his illness. But others like this Jesus, have a different view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b5T-N5-1F4&t=257s


While we're here, how would a quantity surveyor be able to tell the difference between a real leprechaun and a fake one? We simply must know.


Oh that's easy: Capture the cobbler and then choose your three wishes wisely. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, the proof of the leprechaun is in your wishes coming true; they who have ears, let them hear. If you want to double check, make sure the leprechaun can save soles.



I'm glad we sorted that out.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 47
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: A philosophy on how to find The Messiah, The Christ

#270  Postby Thommo » Mar 02, 2018 10:57 pm

Wasn't that elves, and not a leprechaun?
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27036

Print view this post

Re: A philosophy on how to find The Messiah, The Christ

#271  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 02, 2018 10:59 pm

Not sure, but if we expend enough words on it, whether anything was actually said or not, I'm sure John will feel like we've gotten somewhere.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14253
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: A philosophy on how to find The Messiah, The Christ

#272  Postby BlackBart » Mar 02, 2018 11:08 pm

Well, John could always imagine he's gotten somewhere. John likes imagining.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
User avatar
BlackBart
 
Name: rotten bart
Posts: 12152
Age: 58
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: A philosophy on how to find The Messiah, The Christ

#273  Postby John Platko » Mar 02, 2018 11:41 pm

Thommo wrote:Wasn't that elves, and not a leprechaun?


:nono:
from

A leprechaun (Irish: leipreachán/ luchorpán) is a type of fairy of the Aos Sí in Irish folklore. They are usually depicted as little bearded men, wearing a coat and hat, who partake in mischief. They are solitary creatures who spend their time making and mending shoes and have a hidden pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. If captured by a human, they often grant three wishes in exchange for their freedom.
I like to imagine ...
User avatar
John Platko
 
Name: John Platko
Posts: 9411
Male

Country: US
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: A philosophy on how to find The Messiah, The Christ

#274  Postby Thommo » Mar 03, 2018 12:21 am

I was thinking of the shoemaker and the elves. But thank you, I actually didn't know that. :thumbup:
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27036

Print view this post

Re: A philosophy on how to find The Messiah, The Christ

#275  Postby jamest » Mar 03, 2018 1:02 am

With all due respect John, you shouldn't involve yourself in philosophical threads about God. I mean, your own perspective is grounded entirely in beliefs about a bloke named Jesus, enough said.

I've got enough on my plate here explaining why observation/experience of X does not = X itself, which utterly undermines the metaphysical value of science itself in terms of supporting materialism/physicalism (Utterly!!!), so the last thing I need is Xians entering the fray. I mean, you're intelligent enough to know that your views are devoid of philosophical value due to their base beliefs. Unfortunately, the numpty atheists here have still not grasped that this also applies to them.

Science works, I'll grant you that, because the observational/experienced world is ordered. Though the fact that the observed/experienced world is ordered and science works does NOT imply that the world exists independently of 'that' which observes/experiences it. This BASIC bit of philosophy has eluded these 'sharp brains' for over a decade now (wrt my participation). I'm dumbfounded, I must confess, to the point of now thinking that they are extremists themselves, unto their own cause. Terrorists of a certain ilk, thankfully not violent (yet).

Well, fuck that. My diminished activity over the last few years is due entirely to realising that most people here are impervious to reason if it offends their beliefs/attitudes, as though changing said beliefs was not even an option. It's taken me a long time to realise just how dumb scientists are wrt them deliberately using their knowledge to undermine theism [in general], since any fucking half-wit making half a fucking effort can KNOW that scientific evidence does not support atheism, as its data is not metaphysical. Yet, it's all heads in the sands, until death, for reasons I cannot comprehend other than (perhaps) to absolve them of guilt for their materialistic attitudes.

The people who die here, with their heads in the sand, will have no excuses. They were informed. They are the new Pharisees. Jesus badgered the Pharisees of his time, and I know who he was, so I thereofore must persist until they string me up. That is my cross.
Last edited by jamest on Mar 03, 2018 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18475
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: A philosophy on how to find The Messiah, The Christ

#276  Postby Thommo » Mar 03, 2018 1:04 am

:lol:

Edit: Not enough lols.

:lol: :rofl: :lol: :rofl: :lol:
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27036

Print view this post

Re: A philosophy on how to find The Messiah, The Christ

#277  Postby jamest » Mar 03, 2018 1:12 am

Thommo wrote::lol:

Edit: Not enough lols.

:lol: :rofl: :lol: :rofl: :lol:

It's a disgrace to use lols alone as a response to any post. You should be ashamed of yourself, since you're one of those people I talked of with their head in the sand, yet I do understand your behaviour.

You're very lucky that hell doesn't exist, except on Earth.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18475
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: A philosophy on how to find The Messiah, The Christ

#278  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 03, 2018 1:22 am

jamest wrote:
Thommo wrote::lol:

Edit: Not enough lols.

:lol: :rofl: :lol: :rofl: :lol:

It's a disgrace to use lols alone as a response to any post.

There's honestly no other way to respond to your posts. They're devoid of facts or fleshed out arguments, so there's nothing to argue. What you say is really exactly the same as what John says, you're both just making up whatever pleases you, only difference is he seems at least nominally aware he's just doing creative writing.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14253
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: A philosophy on how to find The Messiah, The Christ

#279  Postby jamest » Mar 03, 2018 1:36 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:
jamest wrote:
Thommo wrote::lol:

Edit: Not enough lols.

:lol: :rofl: :lol: :rofl: :lol:

It's a disgrace to use lols alone as a response to any post.

There's honestly no other way to respond to your posts. They're devoid of facts or fleshed out arguments, so there's nothing to argue. What you say is really exactly the same as what John says, you're both just making up whatever pleases you, only difference is he seems at least nominally aware he's just doing creative writing.

Your insincerity is what kills you, for me. I've clearly argued the obvious/simple rational case that the observation/experience of X does not = X, for many years now. Yet every one of you muppets continues to sustain your atheist views upon the back of science. You've got no fucking excuses left for ignoring this FACT nor for your lols. I've tried my best, but I can hardly be arsed any more. I hadn't realised how extreme atheism could be. Nor how inane its backers would be.

I've done my best, for sure. The fact that I'm still trying [sometimes] after two decades of this shit is a miracle in itself. But I'm now wise to people like you and your fucking stupid politics, so I don't really give a shit any more.

Say something sarky as a response and get a handful of thumbs-ups to make yourself feel good. Same ol' same ol'. But you aint kidding me Sir. I know you down to the t. The bits that matter here, anyway.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18475
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: A philosophy on how to find The Messiah, The Christ

#280  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 03, 2018 2:02 am

jamest wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
jamest wrote:
Thommo wrote::lol:

Edit: Not enough lols.

:lol: :rofl: :lol: :rofl: :lol:

It's a disgrace to use lols alone as a response to any post.

There's honestly no other way to respond to your posts. They're devoid of facts or fleshed out arguments, so there's nothing to argue. What you say is really exactly the same as what John says, you're both just making up whatever pleases you, only difference is he seems at least nominally aware he's just doing creative writing.

Your insincerity is what kills you, for me.

That you use claims about other people's sincerity to blindly dismiss what they say is incredibly insincere.

I've clearly argued the obvious/simple rational case that the observation/experience of X does not = X, for many years now. Yet every one of you muppets continues to sustain your atheist views upon the back of science. You've got no fucking excuses left for ignoring this FACT nor for your lols. I've tried my best, but I can hardly be arsed any more. I hadn't realised how extreme atheism could be. Nor how inane its backers would be.

That's probably because your claim doesn't actually defeat anything, least of all anything we've learned from science, and unlike your claims, science actually produces results. All one has to do is read your posts to see this, you certainly don't act as someone that realizes they and everyone else are God.

I've done my best, for sure. The fact that I'm still trying [sometimes] after two decades of this shit is a miracle in itself. But I'm now wise to people like you and your fucking stupid politics, so I don't really give a shit any more.

Say something sarky as a response and get a handful of thumbs-ups to make yourself feel good.

This is hilarious coming from the guy who spends so much time patting himself on the back. Too bad you can't give yourself a thumb's up, eh?

Same ol' same ol'. But you aint kidding me Sir. I know you down to the t. The bits that matter here, anyway.

If you think you know me, and if you think you've made a well reasoned argument, then you are most definitely kidding yourself. As I've said before, if you actually "knew me" it would be easy for you to explain why I'm wrong. That you never have, and seem completely unaware of why you've failed, says it all.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14253
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest

cron