Colour

Split from 'Non-human animals as moral subjects'

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Colour

#861  Postby GrahamH » Sep 01, 2017 4:11 pm

My original

C5piDuZUwAEZl00.jpg
C5piDuZUwAEZl00.jpg (53.64 KiB) Viewed 1871 times
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#862  Postby DavidMcC » Sep 02, 2017 9:43 am

Graham, that is the first I've seen of your so-called "original", The first version of the strawberry picture that I saw had no red in it at all, but this new one definitely has. Are you just trying to cause confusion, or what?
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#863  Postby DavidMcC » Sep 02, 2017 9:52 am

The_Metatron wrote:Or, is it possible that our observer is somewhat color blind? Less red sensitivity than others? It's something that could be quickly tested, and might be interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am a normal trichromat, thanks (I've had the standard colour vision test). I see red when there is red to be seen, but not otherwise.
_______
I suspect that this is some kind of joke, designed to get me to throw insults (I know you'd love that), but I'm not taking the bait, OK?
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#864  Postby DavidMcC » Sep 02, 2017 10:14 am

... I'm not sure there's any point in continuing with this charade by The_Met. and GrahamH.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#865  Postby GrahamH » Sep 02, 2017 11:12 am

DavidMcC wrote:Graham, that is the first I've seen of your so-called "original", The first version of the strawberry picture that I saw had no red in it at all, but this new one definitely has. Are you just trying to cause confusion, or what?

The point of my previous post was precisely to show that the bits that look red are not red. They have significantly more blue and green than red.

I suggest you do what I did and look at the pixel values and erase the image surrounding a 'red' bit.

Why would you refuse to believe there is no red in the image? That is the point of the illusion. At least look at the data before blustering about how there is red because it looks red to you (now).

It's not a conspiracy against you, it's an optical illusion that shows something interesting about how we see colour.
So you think this is red?

There is no red in the original picture, which is the whole point of the illusion. :nono:

So now you see it, do you?
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#866  Postby DavidMcC » Sep 02, 2017 12:43 pm

GrahamH wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:Graham, that is the first I've seen of your so-called "original", The first version of the strawberry picture that I saw had no red in it at all, but this new one definitely has. Are you just trying to cause confusion, or what?

The point of my previous post was precisely to show that the bits that look red are not red. They have significantly more blue and green than red.

I suggest you do what I did and look at the pixel values and erase the image surrounding a 'red' bit.

Why would you refuse to believe there is no red in the image? That is the point of the illusion. At least look at the data before blustering about how there is red because it looks red to you (now).

It's not a conspiracy against you, it's an optical illusion that shows something interesting about how we see colour.

There is no red in the original picture, which is the whole point of the illusion. :nono:

OK, so the background colour was complimentary to red (turquoise), so it is one of the standard colour illusions.
However, your original picture of strawberries was entirely in b/w, yet you insisted that you saw them as red, not grey, because you EXPECTED to see them as red. With today's picture, I did not see red just because I expected to see red, but by colour contrast. The point is that I would therefore have seen them as red even if they were not shaped like strawberries, or anything that's normally red.
EDIT: Again, I do not see anything as red just because I expect to - the colour-contrast effect works independently of expectations.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#867  Postby GrahamH » Sep 02, 2017 12:53 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

OK, so the background colour was complimentary to red (turquoise), so it is one of the standard colour illusions.
However, your original picture of strawberries was entirely in b/w, yet you insisted that you saw them as red, not grey, because you EXPECTED to see them as red. With today's picture, I did not see red just because I expected to see red, but by colour contrast. The point is that I would therefore have seen them as red even if they were not shaped like strawberries, or anything that's normally red.
EDIT: Again, I do not see anything as red just because I expect to - the colour-contrast effect works independently of expectations.

You mis-remember. It was never B&W.

scott1328 wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:For me, an illusion implies something that appears to be something else. For example, something that appears to be red, but isn't.

Unless I have it wrong, the only red thing is red light.

So any perception of red in this photo is an illusion by your account?
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#868  Postby DavidMcC » Sep 02, 2017 1:27 pm

GrahamH wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

You mis-remember. It was never B&W.

I meant that it was only weakly turquoise.
scott1328 wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:For me, an illusion implies something that appears to be something else. For example, something that appears to be red, but isn't.

Unless I have it wrong, the only red thing is red light.

So any perception of red in this photo is an illusion by your account?

I have no perception of red in that photo, but the turquoise is rather palid.
Actually, I always thought that colour-contrast was a rather weak illusion, nothing like as strong as shade contrast, so I wouldn't expect to see strawberry red as an illusion in that sense. Maybe just a tinge if the turquoise is intense. :dunno:
BTW, you haven't said anything about your "colour illusion by expectation" problem. Have you seen an optometrist about it?
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#869  Postby newolder » Jun 15, 2019 9:29 am

Another colour illusion I hadn't seen before now. All the balls are the same colour and that colour is brown. :nod:

Geometric forgetting gives me loops. - Nima A-H
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#870  Postby LucidFlight » Jun 15, 2019 9:34 am

I like how the stripes of colour across the balls tint my perception of their overall colour. Fascinating stuff.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#871  Postby newolder » Jun 15, 2019 9:37 am

I don't know what the various colour-blindnesses brings to this, if anything. :dunno:
Geometric forgetting gives me loops. - Nima A-H
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Philosophy