Endtimes for Democracy and Capitalism? What next?

A philosophical appraisal of covid-19

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Endtimes for Democracy and Capitalism? What next?

#101  Postby jamest » Apr 22, 2020 4:46 am

Hermit wrote:
jamest wrote:Best case scenario is that you're all laughing at me in two years.

Eleven months, actually.
jamest wrote:A year from now, I predict that the $£ etc. will have a significant fraction of its present value. We'll be in the realms of a 4-figure percentage hike within a year, is my prediction.

I'm talking about the whole gamut. The end game, which encapsulates everything. Including the deaths of billions. So, gimme a couple of years here.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#102  Postby Hermit » Apr 22, 2020 5:08 am

jamest wrote:
Hermit wrote:
jamest wrote:Best case scenario is that you're all laughing at me in two years.

Eleven months, actually.
jamest wrote:A year from now, I predict that the $£ etc. will have a significant fraction of its present value. We'll be in the realms of a 4-figure percentage hike within a year, is my prediction.

I'm talking about the whole gamut. The end game, which encapsulates everything. Including the deaths of billions. So, gimme a couple of years here.

Deal. Two years for "the whole gamut". Eleven months for "the $£ etc. will have a significant fraction of its present value" and hyperinflation "in the realms of a 4-figure percentage hike".
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#103  Postby OlivierK » Apr 22, 2020 6:44 am

Just saying that rather than waiting the whole two years for jamest to be wrong before thinking he looks like a daft twat for his predictions, I'm going with him looking like a daft twat as of now, and I'll revise that opinion if relevant information to the contrary comes to hand.

As fiat currencies are still worth roughly the same amount of bitcoin and gold as they were when the predictions were made, and inflation is under control, and the global population is still rising, it seems a reasonable default position.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#104  Postby GrahamH » Apr 22, 2020 7:39 am

jamest wrote:I certainly stand by the claim that hyperinflation is on the horizon, if that's what you mean, but I didn't say that it was going to be happening this month! This virus malarkey is going to be haunting us for another year, I suspect, and the economy is going to be suffering intensely throughout. In my opinion, things are going to get gradually worse to the point that we have the biggest crash in history and fiat currency loses most of its value or collapses entirely. If that happens they'll have to do a reset based on gold or some kind of cryptocurrency.

Cryptocurrency? You think cryptocurrency will survive the end of capitalism and descent into anarchy?
No James, cryptocurrency requires vast infrastructure and high public trust in the abstract that goes way, way beyond fiat currency.
In your doomsday scenario the internet is gone. Cellular telecoms is a fading memory of a magical past when idols made of stone talked to us and pushed away the darkness.

Bitcoin cannot survive the fall of civilisation. As for gold, it's value will be nothing more than trinkets, because it looks nice, and that only to the extent there are people who care more for shiny baubles than food.

Knowledge is power. Invest in durable books with survival value.

Or you could try electric cars and solar panels.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#105  Postby Hermit » Apr 22, 2020 8:10 am

OlivierK wrote:Just saying that rather than waiting the whole two years for jamest to be wrong before thinking he looks like a daft twat for his predictions, I'm going with him looking like a daft twat as of now, and I'll revise that opinion if relevant information to the contrary comes to hand.

As fiat currencies are still worth roughly the same amount of bitcoin and gold as they were when the predictions were made, and inflation is under control, and the global population is still rising, it seems a reasonable default position.

To be fair, a significant shrinkage of the economy is inevitable. Three weeks ago Goldman Sachs predicted a 35% reduction in the US GDP. An educated guess at best, to be sure, and GS also predicted a phenomenal recovery in the third quarter of the financial year, but the social isolation necessitated by the need to save lives will cause material hardships to millions.

That said, JamesT's apocalyptic prognostication, an opinion he so laughably mislabels as fact "we will be looking at death statistics into the billions within a couple of years" as a result of this economic decline, is difficult to regard as anything better than the product of someone's fevered imagination. What amuses me is that he posted this "fact" after I parodied him precisely for repeatedly making this error 26 hours earlier.

I need to be mindful of the FUA in regard to what I really think of JamesT. Suffice to say that I held his opinions in extremely low regard as soon as he started posting here ten years ago, and his character likewise not much later. I am tempted to elaborate, but no, better not.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#106  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 22, 2020 8:23 am

That parody was worth much more than just 3 "likes".
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#107  Postby Fallible » Apr 22, 2020 10:10 am

jamest wrote:
theropod_V_2.0 wrote:We know. You keep repeating the same thing over and over. It’s as if you seem to want this outcome, if for no other reason so that you can crow about what a wonderful prophet you are. Still you never consider/admit that a lump of gold, platinum or U238 won’t buy a loaf of stale bread if things turn out like you predict.

RS

No, I don't want that outcome, as I don't want to be "crowing" when half of us might be dead, including my own family.

Best case scenario is that you're all laughing at me in two years. I'll take that, genuinely. I'll even laugh with you.

Worst case scenario is total anarchy, in which only the strongest will prevail and they'll steal everyone's assets and food. But it ain't necessarily going to get that bad, so holding alternative assets such as the precious metals and crypto might indeed be your salvation. I've also just planted a load of veg in my back garden. You've just gotta do whatever you can to get you through this, which is what I'm doing.

At the end of the day I don't really care about myself. I'm doing what I'm doing for my family and saying what I'm saying for you. In two years time if I look like a daft twat, then I'll apologise and encourage you all to take the piss. But if in two years time half of you are dead because you didn't do a fucking thing, I'll come back crying and scorning.

Bollocks.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#108  Postby Fallible » Apr 22, 2020 10:14 am

jamest wrote:
OlivierK wrote:You heard it here first Cito, jamest has never looked like a daft twat. Says so himself, and he ought to know.

I've only ever looked like a cunt in terms of my behaviour, not my philosophy. That's perfect. I'm not. I sometimes feel like the Liam Gallagher of the philosophy realm, if you get my drift.

Standing about looking miserable in a parka and droning out a steady stream of songs with no discernible difference form each other, full to the brim with the sound of his own perceived awesome?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#109  Postby newolder » Apr 24, 2020 9:58 pm

USCG Southern California is watching(?!) an armada of oil tankers off the coast. :???:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#110  Postby Macdoc » Apr 24, 2020 10:35 pm

pump it back in the ground??? :whistle:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#111  Postby gobshite » May 02, 2020 9:29 am

Good news, the lockdown is ending in some states in the US! Yay the economy! So instead of 3 billion dead we'll only have a couple of million!
gobshite

Print view this post

#112  Postby gobshite » Jun 20, 2022 9:23 am

jamest wrote:
At the end of the day I don't really care about myself. I'm doing what I'm doing for my family and saying what I'm saying for you. In two years time if I look like a daft twat, then I'll apologise and encourage you all to take the piss. But if in two years time half of you are dead because you didn't do a fucking thing, I'll come back crying and scorning.

Where's our apology? :coffee:
gobshite

Print view this post

#113  Postby jamest » Jun 20, 2022 9:55 am

I'm definitely off on the timing, so I'll apologise for that.

It's all going tits-up though, just a bit slower than expected.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#114  Postby Macdoc » Jun 20, 2022 11:25 am

Yur off on a lot of things boyo. :coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#115  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 20, 2022 11:44 am

jamest wrote:I'm definitely off on the timing, so I'll apologise for that.

Wait long enough, and sure: half of us will be dead.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#116  Postby jamest » Jun 20, 2022 3:08 pm

Macdoc wrote:Yur off on a lot of things boyo. :coffee:

Can't think of any yet. Was right about bitcoin; inflation officially approaching double-digits but unofficially well into them; more and more people beginning to suffer/die because of food shortages and/or the affordability of food/energy/shelter; etc..
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#117  Postby jamest » Jun 20, 2022 3:10 pm

Spearthrower wrote:

Does being brain-dead count as being half dead? :evilgrin:
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#118  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 20, 2022 3:10 pm

jamest wrote:
Macdoc wrote:Yur off on a lot of things boyo. :coffee:

Can't think of any yet.

Mountains of corpses ring any bells?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#119  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 20, 2022 3:11 pm

jamest wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

Does being brain-dead count as being half dead? :evilgrin:

I shall defer to your greater experience in the matter. :evilgrin:

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#120  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 20, 2022 3:13 pm

jamest wrote:
theropod_V_2.0 wrote:We know. You keep repeating the same thing over and over. It’s as if you seem to want this outcome, if for no other reason so that you can crow about what a wonderful prophet you are. Still you never consider/admit that a lump of gold, platinum or U238 won’t buy a loaf of stale bread if things turn out like you predict.

RS

No, I don't want that outcome, as I don't want to be "crowing" when half of us might be dead, including my own family.

Best case scenario is that you're all laughing at me in two years. I'll take that, genuinely. I'll even laugh with you.

Worst case scenario is total anarchy, in which only the strongest will prevail and they'll steal everyone's assets and food. But it ain't necessarily going to get that bad, so holding alternative assets such as the precious metals and crypto might indeed be your salvation. I've also just planted a load of veg in my back garden. You've just gotta do whatever you can to get you through this, which is what I'm doing.

Plot twist: half the population didn't die. I'm not going to say that makes you look like a daft twat, but it's interesting that in 'two years' you came back.... contending that you were completely right.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy