Free Will

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Free Will

#12821  Postby romansh » Jan 23, 2018 7:21 pm

felltoearth wrote:But wasn't John arguing that the universe isn't deterministic (with ensuing problems of definition around indeterminism) and used Deustch as his go-to, or am I misremembering?

Yeah you are right.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#12822  Postby romansh » Jan 23, 2018 8:32 pm

Afterthought ... John's Everett was the indeterminist without a cause ... seemingly incompatible with John's Deutsch's determined explanations/knowledge.

To my recollection he did not address this contradiction.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#12823  Postby GrahamH » Jan 24, 2018 7:10 am

romansh wrote:Afterthought ... John's Everett was the indeterminist without a cause ... seemingly incompatible with John's Deutsch's determined explanations/knowledge.

JP presented a bowl of cherries rather than a cohesive argument.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#12824  Postby John Platko » Feb 23, 2018 5:12 pm

GrahamH wrote:
romansh wrote:Afterthought ... John's Everett was the indeterminist without a cause ... seemingly incompatible with John's Deutsch's determined explanations/knowledge.

JP presented a bowl of cherries rather than a cohesive argument.

I hung my hat on the ideas of John Conway and Simon Kochen - turtles free will all the way down. Then I showed how quantum indeterminism bubbles up to macro levels. Everett gave a beautiful description of how all theories, even well evidenced physical theories are stories we tell ourselves. Deutsch says something similar. I believe Deutsch, Conway, and Kochen all have issues with probabilistic stories. Everett's QM interpretation gives us a way to indeterministically traverse a deterministic tree of all possibilities. i.e. the cherry you pick determines what bowl your next cherry can be picked from.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Philosophy