Free Will

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Free Will

#4901  Postby Cito di Pense » Jan 19, 2017 11:33 am

archibald wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:Speculation, Counselor.

Indeed. Though to be fair, they do do experiments on this sort of thing. Encoding of memories and so on.

They do all sorts of experiments, and talk about them out of their arses.

archibald wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:You say 'prediction' as if you think 'prediction' is happening.

But it so is.

And best of all, it's reportable!

Sometimes. "Some do, and some don't" is not good enough.
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Jan 19, 2017 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#4902  Postby archibald » Jan 19, 2017 11:34 am

GrahamH wrote:Value judgements might be applied after the fact, but deliberation is precisely to sort better from worse by predicting consequences, isn't it? Deliberation is before it's too late.

I think deliberation (let's say it's the running of simulations) can be retrospective too.

Plus, I can feel bad about doing something before I've done it. Ask several prostitutes.
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#4903  Postby Cito di Pense » Jan 19, 2017 11:36 am

archibald wrote:
GrahamH wrote:Value judgements might be applied after the fact, but deliberation is precisely to sort better from worse by predicting consequences, isn't it? Deliberation is before it's too late.

I think deliberation (let's say it's the running of simulations) can be retrospective too.

Plus, I can feel bad about doing something before I've done it. Ask several prostitutes.

I wrote a pome, once:

SIMULATION
They are such flirts - so coy and cold,
displaying to our glassy eyes
mirrored hist'ries, backward told.
They borrow requisite surprise
from future built by axiom.
Their farewell whisperings and winks
supply the questions that will come
to answer 'Did you really think...?'

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#4904  Postby archibald » Jan 19, 2017 11:37 am

Cito di Pense wrote: "Some do, and some don't" is not good enough.

Well, the key ones are reportable. Or so we'd like to think. Hence the primacy of the word 'conscious' in language. Anything else just has a prefix attached at the front end.

See also: the word 'woman'.

Oooh. Politics.
Last edited by archibald on Jan 19, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#4905  Postby GrahamH » Jan 19, 2017 11:40 am

archibald wrote:
GrahamH wrote:Why? An idea occurs to you unbidden, not obviously triggered by something else. Isn't that a prime candidate for free will, something of your own making not tied to current circumstances? If our spontaneous thoughts are not free will how can we possibly have free will? By filtering through current conditions, applicable regulations and so on?

If there's any 'free' surely it has to be in the deliberations, the 'degrees of freedom' in the system?

I doubt if any conscious flash can be 'unbidden', even if not 'obviously' triggered.

How can deliberation produce free will? It involves more or less extensive estimation of what might follow from option A, B or C. Selection is biased to wards the 'better' outcomes and away from the 'worse'. We could see it as mapping the territory to find the best route from here to there. I don't see any freedom of will in it, only greater awareness of constraints.

Any conscious flash is 'unbidden' by definition. You can't decide to be inspired in 3, 2, 1, NOW!

I'm not saying there a case for saying inspiration is free will, only that if any thought we have is free will that surely is. It has no evident dependence on anything else. It's timing and content pop into being seemingly from nothing. If we then deliberate on it we tie it down, prune it, make it fit.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#4906  Postby Cito di Pense » Jan 19, 2017 11:42 am

archibald wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote: "Some do, and some don't" is not good enough.

Well, the key ones are reportable. Or so we'd like to think. Hence the primacy of the word 'conscious' in language. Anything else just has a prefix attached at the front end.

See also: the word 'woman'.

Stop jacking me around by sticking in qualifiers like 'key' that you can't or won't specify. Stop jacking yourself around by sticking in ironies like "so we'd like to think". You either think it or you don't. We don't think anything yet, and have no reason to.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#4907  Postby archibald » Jan 19, 2017 11:45 am

GrahamH wrote:How can deliberation produce free will? It involves more or less extensive estimation of what might follow from option A, B or C. Selection is biased to wards the 'better' outcomes and away from the 'worse'. We could see it as mapping the territory to find the best route from here to there. I don't see any freedom of will in it, only greater awareness of constraints.

Taking my new compatibilist hat off for a second, I agree with you. Putting it back on, 'mapping the territory to find the best route from here to there' is arguably the unusual thing which only we can do, or do pretty well (not wanting to be greedy and insult an orang utan) and is arguably a sort of freedom. It's just ......drum roll.....passive.

GrahamH wrote:Any conscious flash is 'unbidden' by definition. You can't decide to be inspired in 3, 2, 1, NOW!

I'm not saying there a case for saying inspiration is free will, only that if any thought we have is free will that surely is. It has no evident dependence on anything else. It's timing and content pop into being seemingly from nothing. If we then deliberate on it we tie it down, prune it, make it fit.

You're the last person I expected to be arguing for that. Too much use of the word 'seemingly' and synonyms.
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#4908  Postby Cito di Pense » Jan 19, 2017 11:47 am

archibald wrote:'mapping the territory to find the best route from here to there' is arguably the unusual thing which only we can do

No. Assuming our conclusion is the thing which only we can do. It's a dubious distinction.

You know, like, 'best' is assuming-the-conclusion. I wouldn't be so cross with you if you were less transparent. Instead I'd berate you for obscurantism. The best alternative is for us to shut the fuck up.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#4909  Postby archibald » Jan 19, 2017 11:53 am

GrahamH wrote:If we then deliberate on it we tie it down, prune it, make it fit.

Here, this should keep you busy for a while, long enough for me to stop procrastinating here and get some actual work done:

http://www.unicog.org/publications/Deha ... on2001.pdf

Check out the cool diagram on page 21. Apparently, consciousness can affect non-consciousness, but not the other way around.

And this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3345871/

and this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440575/

( I have actually read these, lol, saddo that I am).

Bear in mind I'm just shutting the fuck up, temporarily. :)
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#4910  Postby archibald » Jan 19, 2017 11:55 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
archibald wrote:'mapping the territory to find the best route from here to there' is arguably the unusual thing which only we can do

No. Assuming our conclusion is the thing which only we can do. It's a dubious distinction.

You know, like, 'best' is assuming-the-conclusion. I wouldn't be so cross with you if you were less transparent. Instead I'd berate you for obscurantism. The best alternative is for us to shut the fuck up.

Best as in most useful. Blind watchmaker stuff.

Now I AM going to stfu.
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#4911  Postby GrahamH » Jan 19, 2017 11:58 am

archibald wrote:
GrahamH wrote:How can deliberation produce free will? It involves more or less extensive estimation of what might follow from option A, B or C. Selection is biased to wards the 'better' outcomes and away from the 'worse'. We could see it as mapping the territory to find the best route from here to there. I don't see any freedom of will in it, only greater awareness of constraints.

Taking my new compatibilist hat off for a second, I agree with you. Putting it back on, 'mapping the territory to find the best route from here to there' is arguably the unusual thing which only we can do, or do pretty well (not wanting to be greedy and insult an orang utan) and is arguably a sort of freedom. It's just ......drum roll.....passive.

I not sure there is anything uniquely human about it.

We could agree there is a sort of freedom in it, in opening up more complex behaviours, tool use etc. But I don't see how it fits the sort of free will you have been discussing.

archibald wrote:
GrahamH wrote:Any conscious flash is 'unbidden' by definition. You can't decide to be inspired in 3, 2, 1, NOW!

You're the last person I expected to be arguing for that. Too much use of the word 'seemingly' and synonyms.

What do you think I'm "arguing for"? Maybe you missed the opening sentence?
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#4912  Postby Cito di Pense » Jan 19, 2017 12:06 pm

archibald wrote:
Best as in most useful.

You're inviting somebody's wasted effort by expressing yourself imprecisely, because surely, when you express yourself in public, you're not simply shouting at the air. One can hope, anyway. On the other hand, you could just be giving the game away, the game being that you traffic in values, and not in facts, and that you learned to regard 'most useful' as best, but are resisting it.

All that assuming we know what 'useful' is except for the individual. The individual is fucking irrelevant, unless you start trafficking in group selection or some shit like that.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#4913  Postby DavidMcC » Jan 19, 2017 12:46 pm

archibald wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:Will you please stop this nonsense about free will being an illusion, unless you can show me a neurological experiment that I can't demolish as being just as flawed as Libet's. Ie, one that satisfies my requirement that the participants actually have to think, rather than just stare into space and mark time.

David, how would it matter? Even if consciousness does play a role in more deliberated decisions (involving the appraisal of various predicted/simulated options) which I don't think is a daft idea at all (in fact I might easily agree that it likely does happen this way, and maybe not just by veto, but by options being selected from a menu of deliberated calculated options) your problem, or our problem if we are to find meaningful free will, just moves up a level to ask, what causes the simulations, the appraisal of them and most crucially of all, what has control over that process? What supervises the supervisor?

So, you can call a process like that 'conscious control' (possibly even biological will if you must) but it's not freely decided conscious control, it's automated conscious control.

A. What do you mean by "free", in that case. Everything seems tomhang on what the "free" is free of/from.
B. It was GrahamH who talked about simulations, not me.
C. The strange notion idea that there needs to be a supervisor for the supervisor was not mine. It is unnecessary as well as absurd.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4914  Postby archibald » Jan 19, 2017 12:52 pm

GrahamH wrote:I not sure there is anything uniquely human about it.

Really? Well, I am not sure either (can other animals' brains plan ahead and select options from a menu of scenarios? It's debatable, even if it appears as if they sometimes do) but at least the degree to which our brains do it is unique, I think.

GrahamH wrote:We could agree there is a sort of freedom in it, in opening up more complex behaviours, tool use etc. But I don't see how it fits the sort of free will you have been discussing.

Ok, but now I'm discussing passive free will. It's today's new phrase. :)

GrahamH wrote:What do you think I'm "arguing for"? Maybe you missed the opening sentence?

Maybe I did.
Last edited by archibald on Jan 19, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#4915  Postby archibald » Jan 19, 2017 12:54 pm

DavidMcC wrote:A. What do you mean by "free", in that case. Everything seems to hang on what the "free" is free of/from.

Free from prior causation, I suppose. Given that I can't see how anything could be that, I think outright free will, free free will if you like, active free will perhaps, is out. Today I'm running with passive free will. Apparently, I've turned into a compatibilist. It's very annoying. I'm half hoping it will wear off.
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#4916  Postby ughaibu » Jan 19, 2017 1:16 pm

archibald wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:A. What do you mean by "free", in that case. Everything seems to hang on what the "free" is free of/from.
Free from prior causation, I suppose.
So, a strawman definition of "free will" of no interest to anyone involved in the free will discussion. Well done.
ughaibu

Print view this post

#4917  Postby archibald » Jan 19, 2017 1:22 pm

ughaibu wrote:
archibald wrote:
Free from prior causation, I suppose.
So, a strawman definition of "free will" of no interest to anyone involved in the free will discussion. Well done.

On the contrary, it's a definition of free will and not of either "free will", Free WillTM, free will, free will, free free will or discount free will. Though your system may now make a different passive selection, if you are determined enough.
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#4918  Postby DavidMcC » Jan 19, 2017 2:16 pm

archibald wrote:

Free from prior causation, I suppose. Given that I can't see how anything could be that, I think outright free will, free free will if you like, active free will perhaps, is out. Today I'm running with passive free will. Apparently, I've turned into a compatibilist. It's very annoying. I'm half hoping it will wear off.

OK, so do you think that our thoughts/conscious decisions are completely controlled by these "prior causes", then, or do you, as I do, think that they leave some room for conscious thought to make a difference to decisions "off its own bat", even if it is informed by memory other than the rather limited "working memory".
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4919  Postby DavidMcC » Jan 19, 2017 2:23 pm

archibald wrote:... Though your system may now make a different passive selection, if you are determined enough.

Passively determined, eh? How do you manage that? :scratch:
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4920  Postby archibald » Jan 19, 2017 2:24 pm

DavidMcC wrote:OK, so do you think that our thoughts/conscious decisions are completely controlled by these "prior causes", then, or do you, as I do, think that they leave some room for conscious thought to make a difference to decisions "off its own bat", even if it is informed by memory other than the rather limited "working memory".

I do not see how anything at all in my brain can happen 'off its own bat', that is to say without having prior causes.

That's the teensy-weensy part that no one seems to be able to explain.
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy