Go where the heart is

Is the 'heart' devoid of reason?

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Go where the heart is

#1  Postby jamest » Jun 28, 2018 11:52 pm

Faced with a difficult and often life-changing decision, you'll sometimes get the advice to go where the heart is. Of course the heart is just an organ within the chest, but the essence of such advice is to emotionally choose that which would make you happiest regardless of reasoned considerations. This to me implies that the heart/emotion is deemed to be devoid of any attachment to reason.
So, is it?

I haven't made my mind up about anything yet, nor come to any conclusions - including berating the idea that you should go where the heart is. I'm just chewing the fat for now and will give it further thought.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Go where the heart is

#2  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 29, 2018 12:50 am

I've never heard the phrase "go to where the heart is", it's that a UK thing? We'd say "listen to your heart" or something like that. I don't know if it means that reason and emotion are totally separate, but the point of the phrase does seem to be encouraging an emotional action instead of a reasoned one.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Thommo » Jun 29, 2018 1:14 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:I've never heard the phrase "go to where the heart is", it's that a UK thing?

No. There's a phrase "follow your heart", that's about as close as it gets. It means that if you can't make a tough choice you should do the thing that deep down you really feel passionate about.

ETA: Which I'm guessing is the same phrase as you already have and probably know is no different here anyway.
Last edited by Thommo on Jun 29, 2018 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thommo

Print view this post

#4  Postby Gila Guerilla » Jun 29, 2018 2:36 am

Thommo wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:I've never heard the phrase "go to where the heart is", it's that a UK thing?

No. There's a phrase "follow your heart", that's about as close as it gets. It means that if you can't make a tough choice you should do the thing that deep down you really feel passionate about.

I suppose that if you definitely, positively have to make a decision, and you've given it as much thought, with consideration for reason, logic and evidence, and can't decide, then a reasoned approach to what "feels" right, would be the best option. It would be better than doing what feels wrong, or just picking at random. The outcome might help in making better decisions based on evidence and reason in the future.

For myself, I'd say that the "follow your heart option" should only be used where a decision is imperative, and no rational course comes to mind, in the given time frame.

I'm another godless atheist for peace and world harmony.

Oh, to dream, the impossible dream.

Aaah!

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 29, 2018 6:23 am

Thommo wrote:

ETA: Which I'm guessing is the same phrase as you already have and probably know is no different here anyway.

Yeah, "follow your heart" is very common, but I've never heard the specific phrase "go where the heart is".
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby zulumoose » Jun 29, 2018 6:30 am

My take on this is that often trying to weigh things up on paper, especially personal things involving preferences, can be very misleading. One can try really hard to be objective and look at the facts and likelihood of things panning out in different ways, but it can seem like too many unknowns are involved, or the comparisons are "apples and oranges" type things, where logical reasoning seems impractical. It is easy to feel lost in such situations.

In such cases, the unconscious mind has perhaps made its own evaluation of things, based on preferences and opinions that cannot be described and understood logically. Intuitive reasoning, you could call it. Easy to dismiss as emotional, and sometimes wrong, but there is good reason to suspect that how you feel about something is often based on good reason, whether you know it or not. Certainly when the choices seem impossible when trying to be more rational about it, you are more likely to be right when choosing what feels right.

I read a book recently, can't remember the title, concerning first impressions. It was about decisions made within 2 minutes, before the logical mind starts to weigh up the facts. One of the things that stuck out was that when people watch a video of a doctor talking to patients, the impression they form, within about 30 seconds, is about 80% accurate on whether the doctor is likely to be sued for malpractice, more accurate than how the insurance companies evaluate the doctor. This is because we don't want to blame someone we trust, even if they are more likely to screw up, and we do want to blame someone we don't trust, EVERY time they screw up. The point is, trying to be logical can sometimes be counterproductive because we end up evaluating the wrong things, the unconscious mind sometimes just knows better, and this is only expressed through feelings and emotions.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#7  Postby newolder » Jun 29, 2018 7:32 am

... and, of course, an observed heart is not a heart in itself. :yawn:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Fallible » Jun 29, 2018 7:36 am

Nope.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Animavore » Jun 29, 2018 7:49 am

People used to believe the heart was where your thoughts came from and the brain was just for warming blood. So those old saying come from those days.
Medic on the battlefields used to treat head wounds by tying bandage tightly around the soldiers' necks to staunch blood flow as seen in old tapestries and paintings.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10  Postby LucidFlight » Jun 29, 2018 11:48 am

I think it was the great Roxette who once said, Listen to your heart when he's calling for you. Listen to your heart there's nothing else you can do."
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby felltoearth » Jun 29, 2018 11:58 am

jamest wrote:Faced with a difficult and often life-changing decision, you'll sometimes get the advice to go where the heart is. Of course the heart is just an organ within the chest, but the essence of such advice is to emotionally choose that which would make you happiest regardless of reasoned considerations. This to me implies that the heart/emotion is deemed to be devoid of any attachment to reason.
So, is it?

I haven't made my mind up about anything yet, nor come to any conclusions - including berating the idea that you should go where the heart is. I'm just chewing the fat for now and will give it further thought.

I don't think I've ever gotten that advice. Where there's a choice involved and one is having a rational impasse, I've often heard "go with your gut" which is similar I suppose.
I don't know how this could form the basis of any in depth philosophical discussion however.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby newolder » Jun 29, 2018 12:08 pm

Is there a saying, "Go with the flow." or is it, "Go with the flo." ? The latter makes sense as it's about an outgoing tide and the former suggests simply going downhill. Gosh! aren't human ditties philosophical annoyances? :roll: (I know Mr. Mack, I need to work on my catchphrases.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 29, 2018 2:12 pm

Fallible wrote:

Nope.

jamestism? :mrgreen:
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Fallible » Jun 29, 2018 3:52 pm

:nod:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15  Postby jamest » Jun 29, 2018 6:15 pm

felltoearth wrote:
jamest wrote:Faced with a difficult and often life-changing decision, you'll sometimes get the advice to go where the heart is. Of course the heart is just an organ within the chest, but the essence of such advice is to emotionally choose that which would make you happiest regardless of reasoned considerations. This to me implies that the heart/emotion is deemed to be devoid of any attachment to reason.
So, is it?

I don't think I've ever gotten that advice. Where there's a choice involved and one is having a rational impasse, I've often heard "go with your gut" which is similar I suppose.
I don't know how this could form the basis of any in depth philosophical discussion however.

Well, I was contemplating whether one's emotions/heart are totally detached from reason. I mean, emotional desires often fly in the face of reason and occasionally we might be persuaded to go with the heart so to speak and just 'see what happens' after.

I did this myself back in the year 2000. Gave up my job, sold my half-share in my house, packed up and fucked off 250 miles for love's sake. I'm sure many of you have made similar choices throughout your lives.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby felltoearth » Jun 29, 2018 6:20 pm

There is always a reason for how you feel, however as someone wisely told me once, feelings aren’t facts.

Feelings are difficult to reason with.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17  Postby scott1328 » Jun 29, 2018 8:26 pm

Emotions are just another part of the cognitive package. You ignore them at your own peril
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby romansh » Jun 29, 2018 8:45 pm

I understood the question … I think the answer is "It depends."

As a kid I wanted to be a chemist (the shaking test tubes kind and not Boots). After pushing forty years it was a choice I enjoyed and am glad that I went where my heart was, so to speak.

On medical issues I would go with evidence. But perhaps at the end of life I might consider to follow my heart.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#19  Postby jamest » Jun 29, 2018 11:18 pm

scott1328 wrote:Emotions are just another part of the cognitive package. You ignore them at your own peril

I'm not suggesting that we ignore the emotional aspect of ourselves. I'm just wondering how far detached the emotions are from reasoning and what drives these desires (our innate needs/nature? If so, can we say something universal about our innate needs/nature?).

There's plenty to explore here if anyone's interested. I know that I am.

Eta: I'm also wondering just how difficult it is for 'us' to be Spock-like and be perfectly reasonable given our emotional nature. Has anyone ever managed to be Spock (so to speak), ever?

Eta2: I'm even wondering whether we're wholly emotional in essence and that reasoning is something we've merely learnt to do, like science? Again, just chewing the fat. No conclusions drawn atm.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Thommo » Jun 29, 2018 11:48 pm

Asking how far emotions are detached from reasoning is like asking how deeply people consider their financial decisions. It depends on the person, the circumstances and the decision in question.

One (additional) fundamental problem is conceptualising the human mind as divided into complementary categories of emotional and reasoning in the first place. When it comes to explaining a phenomenon like loss aversion the very categorisation fails altogether. The emotional/reasonable divide is a useful model within its limitations, but fundamentally flawed.

And my inner Star Trek nerd feels compelled to say that Spock was only as logical as the script demanded in that moment, which was often about as much as how egalitarian the script demanded the women's mini skirts be.

Thommo

Print view this post

Next

Return to Philosophy