"I don't really believe in coincidences"

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: "I don't really believe in coincidences"

#21  Postby Tbickle » Mar 23, 2010 1:24 am

When I lost my job, many people told me that "everything happens for a reason". When I didn't get selected for a job I interviewed for, they told me the same thing. I constantly have to resist beating them upside the head whenever I hear this. Of course I could just tell them that it, like everything else, happens for a reason I guess.
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Armageddo » Mar 23, 2010 1:26 am

Tbickle wrote:When I lost my job, many people told me that "everything happens for a reason". When I didn't get selected for a job I interviewed for, they told me the same thing. I constantly have to resist beating them upside the head whenever I hear this. Of course I could just tell them that it, like everything else, happens for a reason I guess.

You're just being negative. Everything does happen for a reason. There's no effect without cause. Maybe you haven't yet realised it, maybe you never will, but losing your job was a good thing in the long run. Chin up.
Armageddo
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#23  Postby Tbickle » Mar 23, 2010 1:32 am

Armageddo wrote:
Tbickle wrote:When I lost my job, many people told me that "everything happens for a reason". When I didn't get selected for a job I interviewed for, they told me the same thing. I constantly have to resist beating them upside the head whenever I hear this. Of course I could just tell them that it, like everything else, happens for a reason I guess.

You're just being negative.

I should be happy? Sorry, I've got two kids, a wife, and bills to pay there's not too much room to be happy about this situtation.

Everything does happen for a reason. There's no effect without cause.

Of course there was a reason for it to happen but the saying implies that there is a overall plan that this incident is just one part of. I don't believe that.

Maybe you haven't yet realised it, maybe you never will, but losing your job was a good thing in the long run. Chin up.

Thanks for the sentiment, but this could just be the first step in a series of terrible events which will only progressively worsen. They could improve dramatically. Nobody knows and that includes you or anyone else that mentions this saying.
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#24  Postby LIFE » Mar 23, 2010 1:33 am

Armageddo wrote:You're just being negative. Everything does happen for a reason. There's no effect without cause.

WLC, is that you?
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#25  Postby hackenslash » Mar 23, 2010 2:34 am

Armageddo wrote:
hackenslash wrote:Our entire existence as a species is the result of coincidence, quite literally. If the Earth and the K/T bolide hadn't coincided in the same space, we wouldn't be here.

Wrong.

Cause and effect. Everything has a cause, therefore everything has a reason. So using logic rather than wishful thinking, there are no coincidences.

Utter bollocks. Coincidence is real. It simply means 'coming together'. As for everything having a cause, perhaps you could tell us what the cause of the Casimir effect is?

Sounds like somebody's been swallowing the Kalamity Craig Kool-Aid.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#26  Postby Armageddo » Mar 23, 2010 2:39 am

hackenslash wrote:
Armageddo wrote:
hackenslash wrote:Our entire existence as a species is the result of coincidence, quite literally. If the Earth and the K/T bolide hadn't coincided in the same space, we wouldn't be here.

Wrong.

Cause and effect. Everything has a cause, therefore everything has a reason. So using logic rather than wishful thinking, there are no coincidences.

Utter bollocks. Coincidence is real. It simply means 'coming together'. As for everything having a cause, perhaps you could tell us what the cause of the Casimir effect is?

Sounds like somebody's been swallowing the Kalamity Craig Kool-Aid.

Well, duh. What you are failing to comprehend is the simple fact that everything has a cause :drunk:
Armageddo
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#27  Postby hackenslash » Mar 23, 2010 2:40 am

Then tell us what the cause of the Casimir effect is. It's a fairly straightforward question.

Edit: I can wait to see if google gives you the answer, if you like. It won't, of course, but there you go.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#28  Postby Armageddo » Mar 23, 2010 2:52 am

hackenslash wrote:Then tell us what the cause of the Casimir effect is. It's a fairly straightforward question.

Edit: I can wait to see if google gives you the answer, if you like. It won't, of course, but there you go.

Hackenslash, you are indulging in verbal masturbation, and going well off topic, as you are well aware. Cause and effect are linked. Do you even understand that or is it too complicated for you? You know, google is your friend.
Armageddo
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#29  Postby hackenslash » Mar 23, 2010 2:57 am

Bollocks. You asserted that everything has a cause. Now support that assertion by telling us what causes the Casimir effect.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#30  Postby Armageddo » Mar 23, 2010 3:00 am

hackenslash wrote:Bollocks. You asserted that everything has a cause. Now support that assertion by telling us what causes the Casimir effect.

Your use of the word "bollocks" does nothing for your theory. And you're forgetting who the burden of proof lies on here :drunk:
Armageddo
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#31  Postby hackenslash » Mar 23, 2010 3:04 am

I swear a lot. Get over it. Meanwhile, the assertion was yours, therefore the burden of provision of evidence (not proof, as you have already been schooled on the distinction) is also yours.

When you're ready...
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#32  Postby Armageddo » Mar 23, 2010 3:07 am

hackenslash wrote:I swear a lot. Get over it. Meanwhile, the assertion was yours, therefore the burden of provision of evidence (not proof, as you have already been schooled on the distinction) is also yours.

When you're ready...

Hackenslash, you are more sliperry than a slug in a bucket of oil. You have managed to avoid every single question put to you.
Armageddo
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#33  Postby hackenslash » Mar 23, 2010 3:16 am

What question? The only outstanding question in this thread is the one put directly to you, namely 'what is the cause of the Casimir effect?'

It will not reflect badly on you if you just state that you don't know, by the way. In fact, it will raise your stock considerably among the critical thinkers here.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#34  Postby mmmcheezy » Mar 23, 2010 3:20 am

Armageddo wrote:
Your use of the word "bollocks" does nothing for your theory. And you're forgetting who the burden of proof lies on here :drunk:

Your use of personal attacks does nothing for your argument.
http://www.rantingnraging.tumblr.com

I'm not larger than life, I'm not taller than trees
mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Armageddo » Mar 23, 2010 3:20 am

hackenslash wrote:What question? The only outstanding question in this thread is the one put directly to you, namely 'what is the cause of the Casimir effect?'

It will not reflect badly on you if you just state that you don't know, by the way. In fact, it will raise your stock considerably among the critical thinkers here.

Nope. The question is for you. And here it is again :

Are cause and effect linked? Yes or no?
Armageddo
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#36  Postby hackenslash » Mar 23, 2010 3:29 am

Where there is a cause, then yes. Question answered. Now answer mine, which goes directly to your assertion that every effect has a cause. Please elucidate for us the cause of the Casimir effect. If you can actually do this, there are some extremely serious men in Stockholm that would like a word with you.

Edit: I'd also like it noted that my question was asked before yours.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#37  Postby Armageddo » Mar 23, 2010 3:33 am

hackenslash wrote:Where there is a cause, then yes. Question answered. Now answer mine, which goes directly to your assertion that every effect has a cause. Please elucidate for us the cause of the Casimir effect. If you can actually do this, there are some extremely serious men in Stockholm that would like a word with you.

The fact that you have deliberately avoided my question (until now - now that's a miracle!), over and over again, shows your true colours. If you can't even admit that cause and effect are part of a continuum, how on earth do you expect to be taken seriously on anything else? I find that very telling.

Right, now that you've finally admitted the obvious, we can move onto the next stage, which is to actually address the topic in question. Put another way : There is no such thing as coincidence in the sense implied. Everything happens for a reason. You've just admitted it, so please, no more squirming. It's rather tiresome, but I think we're making a little bit of progress, and at long last.
Armageddo
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#38  Postby hackenslash » Mar 23, 2010 3:35 am

Speaking of squirming, answer the fucking question put to you. I never said anything happens for a reason. Cause and teleology are not the same, and I do not agree with your assertion that every effect has a cause.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#39  Postby iamthereforeithink » Mar 23, 2010 3:40 am

While I agree that everything need not necessarily have a cause, particularly where quantum theory is concerned, the Casimir effect is probably not the best example.
The Casimir effect is caused by vacuum energy. Specifically, the difference in energy density between a confined space and the surrounding area.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
iamthereforeithink

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Armageddo » Mar 23, 2010 3:42 am

iamthereforeithink wrote:While I agree that everything need not necessarily have a cause, particularly where quantum theory is concerned, the Casimir effect is probably not the best example.
The Casimir effect is caused by vacuum energy. Specifically, the difference in energy density between a confined space and the surrounding area.

Hear hear. Hackenslash, you should choose your examples more carefully otherwise you'll find yourself tripping up yet again.
Armageddo
Banned Troll

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy