"If a tree falls" joke?? What is the answer?

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: "If a tree falls" joke?? What is the answer?

#301  Postby scott1328 » Jul 21, 2018 6:03 am

What James t fails to consider, is that unless the tree has been observed to have fallen, then it is only the most crass philosophers who would have assumed that it exists at all, or who having observed a tree in the prone position, assumed a fall at some point in the past instead of assuming that it grew that way, or even that benevolent beavers gently lowered it to the ground.

Jamestown, try harder.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#302  Postby Hermit » Jul 21, 2018 9:48 am

jamest wrote:
scott1328 wrote:For your restricted definition of “sound”

Restricted, my arse.

Until about 100+ years ago 'sound' had no meaning except experientially.

Why am I not surprised you cling desperately to meanings of the ignorant? Sure, the question posed in the OP is an ancient one. It gets answered differently in the context of what we know today. Its metaphysical context has become irrelevant regardless of your tanties and ranties. Maybe slightly rephrasing the question will make your position clear to you: "If JamesT posts in the forum and no one is around to read it, is he still wrong?"

jamest wrote:If you want to carry on acting like a fucking medieval retard...

You owe me an irony-meter.

TopCat wrote:This thread should have died after post 3.

Or post #7 at the latest.

BlackBart wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:A deaf person doesn't hear it, so that doesn't help. You either define sound as the compression wave, in which case it obviously does, or as the perception of it, in which case it obviously doesn't. That's all there is to it.

And if one defines sound as the perception, it renders the question especially pointless as it would boil down to 'If a tree falls and no one hears it, does anyone hear it?

:teef:

:this: and :this:
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#303  Postby Fallible » Jul 21, 2018 11:07 am

jamest wrote:I get on your tits but rest assured that you lot get on mine. You lot have the report button on your side and outnumber me as an individual greatly. Miraculously, I'm still here. God knows how, since even I've been expecting the bullet for the last few years, especially as I've refused to bow-down to you muppets.

Regardless, rest-assured that I'll be taking no bullshit from anyone until that bullet hits the heart. Conversely, one day, you never know, one of you might become genuine. I'll thus plod on and put up with this shite until that bullet comes or until one of you becomes genuine. What else can one do wearing the guise of jamest?

Do fuck off.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#304  Postby laklak » Jul 21, 2018 2:47 pm

scott1328 wrote:What James t fails to consider, is that unless the tree has been observed to have fallen, then it is only the most crass philosophers who would have assumed that it exists at all, or who having observed a tree in the prone position, assumed a fall at some point in the past instead of assuming that it grew that way, or even that benevolent beavers gently lowered it to the ground.

Quite. In a similar vein, if a bear shits in the woods and there's no one to observe it, is there a bear, is there a woods, and is there even a pile of bear shit? I have, in a past ramble through the greenwoods, stepped directly into a pile of bear shit. Now, my brain immediately jumped to the unprovable assumption that a bear, as in an actual, physical creature, shat on the path in precisely the spot that I, happening along at a later temporal juncture, placed my boot sole without first observing it's existence. I say this because had I been aware of the pile of bear shit I would have avoided stepping in it. This poses several problems.

How do I know a bear shat out the shit? I did not observe the bear, therefore assuming the pile was in fact bear shit is logically untenable. It looked and smelled like bear shit, but is that sufficient evidence to assume a bear did, indeed, take a shit?

As I stated earlier, I did not oberve the bear shit prior to stepping in it. Is the sole of my boot an observer? Is taking a step an act of observation? How did the bear shit get under my boot in the first place? Since my boot sole has no sensory apparatus and is unable to observe anything at a distance, it's almost as if the bear shit had to spring into existence at precisely the moment my foot touched the ground, as prior to that is was unobserved shit and could not, by definition, exist.

This is all very confusing.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#305  Postby Cito di Pense » Jul 21, 2018 2:51 pm

... Observe!
Attachments
Bear Sign.jpg
Bear Sign.jpg (116.93 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Lou Kleener
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#306  Postby kiore » Jul 21, 2018 3:37 pm

jamest wrote:
imahaider wrote:"fucking medieval retard"

Q: If a megalomaniac postulates in a philosophy forum, and anyone dares disagree, does it make an audible cursing sound?

A: 99:1 - yes. And someone, or something, will likely pay dearly.

You don't know me but after just 5 posts within this forum, where I've been a member since its onset, you've proclaimed that I'm a 'megalomaniac'.

I'm therefore calling you a stupid trolling cunt. I'm also inviting you to fuck off back to whichever shithole you came here from, with a frozen badger stuck up your fuckin' arsehole as a souvenir of your time here.

You haven't earned the right to abuse me, squire. Come back in about 5000 posts and I might not abuse your arsehole after you've abused me. Otherwise, just don't fucking come back. I really don't give two shits either way.

!
MODNOTE
Jamest, you behavior here unacceptable, abusing and insulting other members and displaying poor posting discipline. A warning for this behavior, as this is your 3rd active warning you are suspended for 7 days.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#307  Postby BlackBart » Jul 21, 2018 10:40 pm

jamest wrote:
BlackBart wrote:The Romans had a pretty good handle on the science of acoustics even before they decided to nail hippys to planks. Just because some 19th/20th century special education cases couldn't grasp it and tried to cover it up with 'philosophy' doesn't mean nobody else had already worked it out.

With all due respect, the Romans had no interest in anything that didn't improve their materialistic wealth and power. Certainly, to pretend that they had a scientific grasp of observational/experiential concepts is just daft, since secondary definitions of observations via the experience of sight/sound/etc. have only been forthcoming in more recent centuries. Certainly, the definition of sound as currently defined by science has no bearing upon Roman knowledge/beliefs/culture. Again, I cannot fathom why you have mentioned the Romans, but it seems utterly daft to me.

Wow... I... um... Not quite sure how to respond to that. Erm...anyone? :dunno:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#308  Postby newolder » Jul 21, 2018 10:45 pm

Toss in a few pitted olives and some oil and vinegar emulsion to make that salad palatable. :scratch:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#309  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 21, 2018 11:38 pm

BlackBart wrote:
jamest wrote:
BlackBart wrote:The Romans had a pretty good handle on the science of acoustics even before they decided to nail hippys to planks. Just because some 19th/20th century special education cases couldn't grasp it and tried to cover it up with 'philosophy' doesn't mean nobody else had already worked it out.

With all due respect, the Romans had no interest in anything that didn't improve their materialistic wealth and power. Certainly, to pretend that they had a scientific grasp of observational/experiential concepts is just daft, since secondary definitions of observations via the experience of sight/sound/etc. have only been forthcoming in more recent centuries. Certainly, the definition of sound as currently defined by science has no bearing upon Roman knowledge/beliefs/culture. Again, I cannot fathom why you have mentioned the Romans, but it seems utterly daft to me.

This is begging for Monty Python, you know.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#310  Postby scott1328 » Jul 21, 2018 11:48 pm

The_Metatron wrote:
BlackBart wrote:
jamest wrote:

This is begging for Monty Python, you know.

Why? What has Monty Python done for any of us?
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#311  Postby Thommo » Jul 22, 2018 12:44 am

scott1328 wrote:Why? What has Monty Python done for any of us?

Emigrated to Nevis?
Thommo

Print view this post

#312  Postby imahaider » Jul 22, 2018 3:13 pm

jamest wrote:
imahaider wrote:"fucking medieval retard"

Q: If a megalomaniac postulates in a philosophy forum, and anyone dares disagree, does it make an audible cursing sound?

A: 99:1 - yes. And someone, or something, will likely pay dearly.

You don't know me but after just 5 posts within this forum, where I've been a member since its onset, you've proclaimed that I'm a 'megalomaniac'.

I'm therefore calling you a stupid trolling cunt. I'm also inviting you to fuck off back to whichever shithole you came here from, with a frozen badger stuck up your fuckin' arsehole as a souvenir of your time here.

You haven't earned the right to abuse me, squire. Come back in about 5000 posts and I might not abuse your arsehole after you've abused me. Otherwise, just don't fucking come back. I really don't give two shits either way.

It is precisely from your long history of narcissistic and arrogant diatribes that I am able to properly label you as a megalomaniac, as several colleagues and acquaintances here would surely concur. Your infantile name-calling and adolescent vocabulary do nothing to improve that honest and accurate observation. Quite the contrary.
Further, imagining that you are capable of abusing me, especially over the internet, exhibits the pretentious pomposity of one fully immersed in a spectacularly delusional life. Unless, of course, the intended results of your effort to "abuse" me is to leave me rolling on the floor in hysterical laughter. Then I must admit, "You got me, snowflake."
Last edited by imahaider on Jul 22, 2018 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
imahaider

Name: Ima Haider

United States (us)
Print view this post

#313  Postby felltoearth » Jul 22, 2018 7:48 pm

Megalomaniac “a person who suffers delusions of their own power and importance.”

If the shoe fits...
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Philosophy