jamest: a Q&A session for serious questions

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: jamest: a Q&A session for serious questions

#121  Postby Macdoc » Feb 21, 2018 7:29 pm

I Wonder why Ever he likes Capitals.... :roll:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#122  Postby Destroyer » Feb 21, 2018 7:30 pm

newolder wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
newolder wrote:
Destroyer wrote:... If you were paying attention then you would understand the need for "Truth".

Let's pretend for a moment that I haven't paid enough attention. What is "Truth"? Could you also give an example of "Truth" that an ageing ground ape can observe and test for "Truthiness"?

Truth is whichever Nature happens to be fundamental.

For example...

Well, there are only two modes of expressions that we humans are familiar with. Physical/electrical signals or intelligence. My guess, is that it will turn out to be One of those two.
Destroyer

Name: Patrick Mills
Male

Print view this post

#123  Postby Destroyer » Feb 21, 2018 7:31 pm

Macdoc wrote:I Wonder why Ever he likes Capitals.... :roll:

How about: idiosyncratic.
Destroyer

Male

Print view this post

#124  Postby Macdoc » Feb 21, 2018 7:34 pm

How about Victorian like your mindset. :whistle:

At which Time he prov'd himself the Noah's Dove, that finding himself no Rest anywhere, was receiv'd again into his own Ark, and brought a peaceable Olive-Leaf in his mouth.

https://english.stackexchange.com/quest ... -centuries
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#125  Postby Destroyer » Feb 21, 2018 7:37 pm

Macdoc wrote:How about Victorian like your mindset. :whistle:

At which Time he prov'd himself the Noah's Dove, that finding himself no Rest anywhere, was receiv'd again into his own Ark, and brought a peaceable Olive-Leaf in his mouth.

https://english.stackexchange.com/quest ... -centuries

If you say so then I guess it must be so. Oh, wait, don't you just usually argue with emotional bigotry.
Destroyer

Male

Print view this post

#126  Postby Sendraks » Feb 21, 2018 7:38 pm

Destroyer wrote:

or uncommon, anomalous, outlandish, aberrant or freakish.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#127  Postby Sendraks » Feb 21, 2018 7:39 pm

Destroyer wrote: Oh, wait, don't you just usually argue with emotional bigotry.

What do you mean by that?
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#128  Postby newolder » Feb 21, 2018 7:40 pm

Destroyer wrote:
newolder wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
newolder wrote:
Let's pretend for a moment that I haven't paid enough attention. What is "Truth"? Could you also give an example of "Truth" that an ageing ground ape can observe and test for "Truthiness"?

For example...

Well, there are only two modes of expressions that we humans are familiar with. Physical/electrical signals or intelligence. My guess, is that it will turn out to be One of those two.

Only two? :doh: What has human familiarity got to do with how Nature may or may not turn out to have fundamental modes? How is your "guess" any use for anything?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#129  Postby laklak » Feb 21, 2018 7:41 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Destroyer wrote:

Fucked up?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#130  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 21, 2018 7:41 pm

Destroyer wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:Uh, okay.

You better believe it's OK. Unity is a faith that will never ever be demonstrated. Why? Nature happens to be paradoxical, that's why! How do I know? I just do.

No, I was responding to your request for a quote of yours where you were making another argument. But at least now I think we've got a better idea of where you're going with this: Ghost Minds!

Ghost Minds. I don't know about Ghost Minds, but I do know that Nature sure seems to be odd. A single unit/entity can be observed to be exhibiting incompatible behaviors.

Not quite sure what you mean by incompatible behaviors, but I'm guessing they won't really show that ghost minds is more likely than emergent physical behavior, the latter being what all available evidence suggests is correct.

Also, I assume you're just going to ignore me pointing out your lying about not making another argument?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#131  Postby Destroyer » Feb 21, 2018 7:45 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
You better believe it's OK. Unity is a faith that will never ever be demonstrated. Why? Nature happens to be paradoxical, that's why! How do I know? I just do.

No, I was responding to your request for a quote of yours where you were making another argument. But at least now I think we've got a better idea of where you're going with this: Ghost Minds!

Ghost Minds. I don't know about Ghost Minds, but I do know that Nature sure seems to be odd. A single unit/entity can be observed to be exhibiting incompatible behaviors.

Not quite sure what you mean by incompatible behaviors, but I'm guessing they won't really show that ghost minds is more likely than emergent physical behavior, which is what all available evidence suggests.

Also, I assume you're just going to ignore me pointing out your lying about not making another argument?

Incompatible behaviors, as in: Gravity and quantum particles. There was no lie. I considered my argument to be simply an explanation and elaboration to questions.
Destroyer

Male

Print view this post

#132  Postby Destroyer » Feb 21, 2018 7:48 pm

newolder wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
newolder wrote:
Destroyer wrote:

For example...

Only two? :doh: What has human familiarity got to do with how Nature may or may not turn out to have fundamental modes? How is your "guess" any use for anything?

Yes, only two.
Destroyer

Male

Print view this post

#133  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 21, 2018 7:49 pm

Destroyer wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:

Not quite sure what you mean by incompatible behaviors, but I'm guessing they won't really show that ghost minds is more likely than emergent physical behavior, which is what all available evidence suggests.

Incompatible behaviors, as in: Gravity and quantum particles.

Not really seeing how that makes the case for ghost minds.

There was no lie. I considered my argument to be simply an explanation and elaboration to questions.

It is an argument any way you slice it, so while it may have been an honest mistake, what you said wasn't true. It certainly didn't explain anything.
Last edited by SafeAsMilk on Feb 21, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#134  Postby Destroyer » Feb 21, 2018 7:52 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Destroyer wrote:

There was no lie. I considered my argument to be simply an explanation and elaboration to questions.

It is an argument any way you slice it, so while it may have been an honest mistake, what you said wasn't true.

If the fact that Nature exhibits incompatible behaviors, which ALL scientists are well aware of, means that there is ghost minds, then I guess you need to ask them about that.
Destroyer

Male

Print view this post

#135  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 21, 2018 7:56 pm

Destroyer wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:

It is an argument any way you slice it, so while it may have been an honest mistake, what you said wasn't true.

If the fact that Nature exhibits incompatible behaviors, which ALL scientists are well aware, means that there is ghost minds, then I guess you need to ask them about that.

Why would I ask them? It's your argument. Unless you talking about incompatible behaviors has no relation to anything either of us has said.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#136  Postby Destroyer » Feb 21, 2018 7:58 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Destroyer wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Destroyer wrote:

If the fact that Nature exhibits incompatible behaviors, which ALL scientists are well aware, means that there is ghost minds, then I guess you need to ask them about that.

Why would I ask them? It's your argument. Unless you talking about incompatible behaviors has no relation to anything either of us has said.

Quantum mechanics and General Relativity are not my arguments.

Anyway, my time is up for today.
Destroyer

Male

Print view this post

#137  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 21, 2018 8:00 pm

:lol:
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#138  Postby newolder » Feb 21, 2018 8:06 pm

Destroyer wrote:...
Yes, only two.

For information only:
Only definition, without others or anything further; alone; solely; exclusively: This information is for your eyes only.

source

ETA source.
Last edited by newolder on Feb 21, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#139  Postby SkyMutt » Feb 21, 2018 9:07 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Destroyer wrote:

The superb (and almost universally forgotten) writer George Ade used capitalization for comic effect in his "fables in slang." For example, The Fable of How the Fool-Killer Backed Out of a Contract.

The Fool-Killer came along the Pike Road one Day and stopped to look at a Strange Sight.

Inside of a Barricade were several Thousands of Men, Women and Children. They were moving restlessly among the trampled Weeds, which were clotted with Watermelon Rinds, Chicken Bones, Straw and torn Paper Bags.

It was a very hot Day. The People could not sit down. They shuffled Wearily and were pop-eyed with Lassitude and Discouragement.

A stifling Dust enveloped them. They Gasped and Sniffled. Some tried to alleviate their Sufferings by gulping down a Pink Beverage made of Drug-Store Acid, which fed the Fires of Thirst.

Thus they wove and interwove in the smoky Oven. The Whimper or the faltering Wail of Children, the quavering Sigh of overlaced Women, and the long-drawn Profanity of Men—these were what the Fool-Killer heard as he looked upon the Suffering Throng.

[Continues ...]
Serious, but not entirely serious.

"The charm of a man is measured by the charm of the women who think he is a scoundrel."
— H. L. Mencken
SkyMutt

Male

Print view this post

#140  Postby BlackBart » Feb 21, 2018 9:19 pm

Destroyer wrote:
BlackBart wrote:Here, try this Sendrak. You'll get more sense out of it.

Maybe you don't understand what identical means, either?

And maybe I do.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy