jamest: a Q&A session for serious questions

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: jamest: a Q&A session for serious questions

#201  Postby Sendraks » Feb 23, 2018 4:14 pm

Destroyer wrote:
Oh, I'll definitely be back, Fallible, just not in this thread. And that revelation that you keep referring to, is not mine, but God Himself.


God is actually going to put in an appearance then? Provide some undeniable evidence that they actually exist?
They going to stick around for a Q&A as well, because there's quite a few choice questions to answer.

1 - Where the fuck have you been?
2 - Why do you insist on creating natural phenomenon that kill millions of people?
3 - Do you really have anything against the gays?
4 - In fact, why are you apparently so interested what people get up to in the bedroom?
5 - Why create a universe that is so inhospitable to life?
6 - Is Thor a laugh?
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
User avatar
Sendraks
 
Name: D-Money Jr
Posts: 15149
Age: 103
Male

Country: England
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: jamest: a Q&A session for serious questions

#202  Postby Thommo » Feb 23, 2018 6:38 pm

Wait, God is coming to Ratskep?

CHECKMATE ATHEISTS.

PS: When though? I mean I've been hearing soon for the best part of a decade now, from Destroyer.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 26632

Print view this post

Re: jamest: a Q&A session for serious questions

#203  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 23, 2018 6:40 pm

Oh man, I've got so many questions. The main one evoked by Destroyer's posts in this thread is: "Why do You work so hard to make it look exactly like You aren't there?"
Last edited by SafeAsMilk on Feb 23, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 13579
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: jamest: a Q&A session for serious questions

#204  Postby Sendraks » Feb 23, 2018 6:51 pm

Destroyer wrote:And that revelation that you keep referring to, is not mine, but God Himself.


So it is God who has been in touch with these "Top Scientists" then and not you?
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
User avatar
Sendraks
 
Name: D-Money Jr
Posts: 15149
Age: 103
Male

Country: England
Print view this post

Re: jamest: a Q&A session for serious questions

#205  Postby laklak » Feb 23, 2018 8:27 pm

How long did it take you to bury all those fossils?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 19833
Age: 65
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: jamest: a Q&A session for serious questions

#206  Postby Thommo » Feb 23, 2018 11:14 pm

So, you know how there are some posters who just make threads based on whatever random shit pops into their head in the course of a day and present it as profound insight or philosophy?

I was wondering today about why men don't wear makeup and women do. I remember hearing some turgid rant about how women who wear makeup are "cheating" or "advertising by deception" or some nonsense. But then I wondered, if it's really nonsense why am I so antipathetic about the very idea of doing it myself?

So, yeah. Answers on a postcard, robes and sandals etc. Frozen badgers need not apply.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 26632

Print view this post

Re: jamest: a Q&A session for serious questions

#207  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 24, 2018 12:09 am

Can't speak for you, but I don't use makeup because it seems pointless to me. A lot of that might be social training. I could probably use it.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 13579
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: jamest: a Q&A session for serious questions

#208  Postby jamest » Feb 24, 2018 12:14 am

Thommo wrote:So, you know how there are some posters who just make threads based on whatever random shit pops into their head in the course of a day and present it as profound insight or philosophy?

I was wondering today about why men don't wear makeup and women do. I remember hearing some turgid rant about how women who wear makeup are "cheating" or "advertising by deception" or some nonsense. But then I wondered, if it's really nonsense why am I so antipathetic about the very idea of doing it myself?

So, yeah. Answers on a postcard, robes and sandals etc. Frozen badgers need not apply.

You're akin to a woman I once loved and no longer care about, since you're not worthy. You're intelligent, of course, but that's not what I'm talking about.

I still care about philosophy/God of course, though I've now reached a stage in my life where I demand sincerity. I put you in the same category as GrahamH. Enough said.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18044
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: jamest: a Q&A session for serious questions

#209  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 24, 2018 12:17 am

I don't think anybody know what you mean when you demand sincerity. Sincerity doesn't make arguments right, and I'm curious who you think is being insincere. I'm certainly not.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 13579
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: jamest: a Q&A session for serious questions

#210  Postby jamest » Feb 24, 2018 12:24 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:I don't think anybody know what you mean when you demand sincerity. Sincerity doesn't make arguments right, and I'm curious who you think is being insincere. I'm certainly not.

The frozen badger is in the post.

I've been dealing with characters such as you for two decades. Really. You need to set yourself apart from the crowd, really, if you want my time. Especially now.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18044
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: jamest: a Q&A session for serious questions

#211  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 24, 2018 12:30 am

jamest wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:I don't think anybody know what you mean when you demand sincerity. Sincerity doesn't make arguments right, and I'm curious who you think is being insincere. I'm certainly not.

The frozen badger is in the post.

Insincere response that doesn't address anything I've said is noted.

I've been dealing with characters such as you for two decades. Really. You need to set yourself apart from the crowd, really, if you want my time. Especially now.

Well that's never stopped you from responding to me before, so maybe you shouldn't brag about standards you don't even have? And again, failing to communicate with people for 20 years isn't something to brag about.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 13579
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: jamest: a Q&A session for serious questions

#212  Postby Thommo » Feb 24, 2018 12:30 am

jamest wrote:
Thommo wrote:So, you know how there are some posters who just make threads based on whatever random shit pops into their head in the course of a day and present it as profound insight or philosophy?

I was wondering today about why men don't wear makeup and women do. I remember hearing some turgid rant about how women who wear makeup are "cheating" or "advertising by deception" or some nonsense. But then I wondered, if it's really nonsense why am I so antipathetic about the very idea of doing it myself?

So, yeah. Answers on a postcard, robes and sandals etc. Frozen badgers need not apply.

You're akin to a woman I once loved and no longer care about, since you're not worthy. You're intelligent, of course, but that's not what I'm talking about.

I still care about philosophy/God of course, though I've now reached a stage in my life where I demand sincerity. I put you in the same category as GrahamH. Enough said.


What category is that? Humans who post on Ratskep?

The answer to this burning question seems like a key step forward for jamest-ism.

By the way, I know you're never going to listen to my requests that you post something constructive and abide by the FUA, but I have to say that I *really* don't understand why you always answer with these personal comments about "respect" or "intelligence". I could not have made it more plain over the years that I could not care less about your (or anyone else's) opinion of how intelligent I seem.

If I want to know how intelligent I am, I'll sit an IQ test again, cheers. And if there are reasons I don't talk about my (or anyone else's) measured intelligence, it's because (a) It's got nothing to do with what a particular post or topic says; (b) It's nobody's business anyway and (c) People who bang on about how intelligent they are are fucking tossers.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 26632

Print view this post

Re: jamest: a Q&A session for serious questions

#213  Postby jamest » Feb 24, 2018 12:41 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:
jamest wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:I don't think anybody know what you mean when you demand sincerity. Sincerity doesn't make arguments right, and I'm curious who you think is being insincere. I'm certainly not.

The frozen badger is in the post.

Insincere response that doesn't address anything I've said is noted.

I've been dealing with characters such as you for two decades. Really. You need to set yourself apart from the crowd, really, if you want my time. Especially now.

Well that's never stopped you from responding to me before, so maybe you shouldn't brag about standards you don't even have? And again, failing to communicate with people for 20 years isn't something to brag about.

I just use you to make a point, now. There was a time when I'd have bought you a pint.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18044
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: jamest: a Q&A session for serious questions

#214  Postby Thommo » Feb 24, 2018 12:43 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:Can't speak for you, but I don't use makeup because it seems pointless to me. A lot of that might be social training. I could probably use it.


Yeah, I guess. I just can't help wondering whether you'd say the same about a woman.

I'm projecting of course, but I have similar reasons - I would say it's pointless, and yet I would not apply that reasoning to a woman (that she should not because it is pointless) which seems like a double standard.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 26632

Print view this post

Re: jamest: a Q&A session for serious questions

#215  Postby jamest » Feb 24, 2018 12:48 am

Thommo wrote:
jamest wrote:
Thommo wrote:So, you know how there are some posters who just make threads based on whatever random shit pops into their head in the course of a day and present it as profound insight or philosophy?

I was wondering today about why men don't wear makeup and women do. I remember hearing some turgid rant about how women who wear makeup are "cheating" or "advertising by deception" or some nonsense. But then I wondered, if it's really nonsense why am I so antipathetic about the very idea of doing it myself?

So, yeah. Answers on a postcard, robes and sandals etc. Frozen badgers need not apply.

You're akin to a woman I once loved and no longer care about, since you're not worthy. You're intelligent, of course, but that's not what I'm talking about.

I still care about philosophy/God of course, though I've now reached a stage in my life where I demand sincerity. I put you in the same category as GrahamH. Enough said.


What category is that? Humans who post on Ratskep?

The answer to this burning question seems like a key step forward for jamest-ism.

By the way, I know you're never going to listen to my requests that you post something constructive and abide by the FUA, but I have to say that I *really* don't understand why you always answer with these personal comments about "respect" or "intelligence". I could not have made it more plain over the years that I could not care less about your (or anyone else's) opinion of how intelligent I seem.

If I want to know how intelligent I am, I'll sit an IQ test again, cheers. And if there are reasons I don't talk about my (or anyone else's) measured intelligence, it's because (a) It's got nothing to do with what a particular post or topic says; (b) It's nobody's business anyway and (c) People who bang on about how intelligent they are are fucking tossers.


Anyone who formulates their philosophy and attitude towards appeasing the FUA here, is a fucking lost soul. Clearly, I am not lost within that context.

You're still doing politics/banter, Thommo. Transcend that bollocks, if nothing else.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18044
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: jamest: a Q&A session for serious questions

#216  Postby Thommo » Feb 24, 2018 12:50 am

Does that even mean anything, even to you?

I mean, does the concept of "a philosophy" mean you can't stay ontopic and talk about your point instead of your interlocutor?

If so, that's a *truly* shit philosophy you've got. Or a super lame excuse for never answering a question.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 26632

Print view this post

Re: jamest: a Q&A session for serious questions

#217  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 24, 2018 12:52 am

Thommo wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:Can't speak for you, but I don't use makeup because it seems pointless to me. A lot of that might be social training. I could probably use it.


Yeah, I guess. I just can't help wondering whether you'd say the same about a woman.

I'm projecting of course, but I have similar reasons - I would say it's pointless, and yet I would not apply that reasoning to a woman (that she should not because it is pointless) which seems like a double standard.

Do you mean that you prefer women to wear makeup even though you'd never wear it yourself?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 13579
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: jamest: a Q&A session for serious questions

#218  Postby Thommo » Feb 24, 2018 12:54 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:Do you mean that you prefer women to wear makeup even though you'd never wear it yourself?


I don't actually know. I expect them to, I think.

But if someone said "women shouldn't wear makeup because it's pointless" I'd say I disagree, because the consequent does not follow, so I guess I'd say it can't really be the reason I don't myself.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 26632

Print view this post

Re: jamest: a Q&A session for serious questions

#219  Postby jamest » Feb 24, 2018 1:06 am

Thommo wrote:Does that even mean anything, even to you?

I mean, does the concept of "a philosophy" mean you can't stay ontopic and talk about your point instead of your interlocutor?

If so, that's a *truly* shit philosophy you've got. Or a super lame excuse for never answering a question.

Lost. Become a spin doctor for the Labour Party, squire.

You ask me to talk about my philosophy and do nothing but talk politics as a response.

Forget it. I tried, at least.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18044
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: jamest: a Q&A session for serious questions

#220  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 24, 2018 1:16 am

Thommo wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:Do you mean that you prefer women to wear makeup even though you'd never wear it yourself?


I don't actually know. I expect them to, I think.

But if someone said "women shouldn't wear makeup because it's pointless" I'd say I disagree, because the consequent does not follow, so I guess I'd say it can't really be the reason I don't myself.

Maybe I didn't answer your question right, because I wasn't saying that it's pointless for men to wear makeup. Some do, and I'm sure there's some who would but don't because of social pressure.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 13579
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest