Killing time

The reasons, the cure, why bother?

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Killing time

#101  Postby Fallible » Feb 10, 2018 11:30 pm

Do I have to get up early?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 47
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Killing time

#102  Postby Thommo » Feb 10, 2018 11:31 pm

I'm sure sea changes should afloat rather than afoot. I'm also sure we are wasting our time in this thread.

But the converse of you're only wasting your own time is it's your time to waste! Taken that way it's almost life affirming.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27036

Print view this post

Re: Killing time

#103  Postby LucidFlight » Feb 10, 2018 11:52 pm

Now listen. jamest's ship has already sailed from Earth, and that was two decades in the making. If we are to have any chance of trimming the mainsail on humanity's destiny, we need to clear the deck and deliver a broadside to the materialist narrative. It's going to take Dutch courage and an even keel to edge this forward. And I'm not afraid to give you a dressing down with a frozen badger if I need to, because filibusters won't be tolerated. You have to be first rate and get ready to fight, hand over fist, to press into service a philosophy that will revolutionise the world as we know it.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
User avatar
LucidFlight
RS Donator
 
Name: Kento
Posts: 10795
Male

Country: UK/US/AU/SG
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Killing time

#104  Postby The_Metatron » Feb 11, 2018 5:50 pm

felltoearth wrote:
jamest wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:Mid life crisis? (no offence m8).

You can't really offend me, m8, since my ship has sailed from the port of Earth.

I've been philosophising for about two decades. That's a sign of intelligence, not age. ;)

Philosophizing. Is that what you call it?

Stand-up philosopher.




Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
User avatar
The_Metatron
Moderator
 
Name: Jesse
Posts: 20943
Age: 57
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Killing time

#105  Postby Macdoc » Feb 12, 2018 4:58 am

That's a sign of intelligence, not age. ;)


or not

Albert Einstein is widely credited with saying, “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.


:coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
User avatar
Macdoc
 
Posts: 17156
Age: 73
Male

Country: Canada/Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Killing time

#106  Postby jamest » Feb 13, 2018 1:15 am

"Curses, curses! Somebody always helps that girl. Shoes or no shoes. I'm still great enough to conquer her. And woe to those who try to stop me!"
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18475
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: Killing time

#107  Postby The_Piper » Feb 13, 2018 1:26 am

LucidFlight wrote:I often wonder to myself, to what extent do we waste time due to our poorly-exercised free will, and to what extent is this time-wasting an orchestration of God? If we are God, are we not, in effect, wasting our own time? Perhaps there is a purpose to this. Perhaps God is trying to wake us up to the fact that we are wasting time, by orchestrating feelings of dissatisfaction and unfulfillment within us. Could this be God's way of changing the world?

"Realize that time is always psychologically colored." Deepak Chopra
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
User avatar
The_Piper
 
Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Posts: 27898
Age: 46
Male

Country: Chainsaw Country
United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Killing time

#108  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 13, 2018 1:27 am

Is this the philosophy or the beat poetry forum?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14253
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Killing time

#109  Postby laklak » Feb 13, 2018 3:52 am

vulture beat poetry.jpg
vulture beat poetry.jpg (101.8 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 20755
Age: 66
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: Killing time

#110  Postby jamest » Feb 16, 2018 12:51 am

I still work. I got home from a shift last night (Weds) just before 11pm. I wasn't tired. So, I needed to kill time. Otherwise, it would kill me.

... I watched a couple of documentaries on BBC iplayer about the Roman Empire and then played computer bridge. I couldn't think of anything else I wanted to do at that time other than create an Empire and win mental competitions, so it worked out well. After that, I went to bed so as to obliterate time from my consciousness. Yet another victory.

I woke up the next day, today, looking for solutions to kill time. Luckily, there were plenty. It's been a busy 'un. Now, I've even got the desire to kill time here. Thank fuck for that, since I'm not in the mood for the Roman Empire or card-games tonight. Soon, bed will save me again from time. Tomorrow, I'll need a new plan. Unfortunately, the kids are off and my daughter is doing a sleepover, so I cannot make one. Perhaps tomorrow time will consume me, finally. I hope not.
Last edited by jamest on Feb 16, 2018 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18475
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: Killing time

#111  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 16, 2018 1:02 am

So, is your definition of killing time "Any moment not having a deep philosophical or psychological breakthrough"?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14253
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Killing time

#112  Postby jamest » Feb 16, 2018 1:11 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:So, is your definition of killing time "Any moment not having a deep philosophical or psychological breakthrough"?

No, of course not. I realise that there's a diversity of interests/passions out there. Indeed, beyond philosophy I still have one-or-two in the world myself.

I'm bringing a serious point for consideration here, though: If we don't thoroughly consume time, does it thoroughly consume us?

I'm beginning to think so. The moral of the story? Have more hobbies! Acquire more badgers!!
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18475
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: Killing time

#113  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 16, 2018 1:45 am

jamest wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:So, is your definition of killing time "Any moment not having a deep philosophical or psychological breakthrough"?

No, of course not. I realise that there's a diversity of interests/passions out there. Indeed, beyond philosophy I still have one-or-two in the world myself.

I'm bringing a serious point for consideration here, though: If we don't thoroughly consume time, does it thoroughly consume us?

I'm not even convinced you know what you mean when you say that.

I'm beginning to think so. The moral of the story? Have more hobbies! Acquire more badgers!!

But you just got through saying hobbies are a waste of time.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14253
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Killing time

#114  Postby felltoearth » Feb 16, 2018 2:09 am

"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 13703
Age: 53

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Killing time

#115  Postby jamest » Feb 16, 2018 2:17 am

There is no 'waste' of time, except in our memories of it.

Most hobbies are trivial, but they will [generally] extend your lifespan. Simply because any instant whereby you are consuming time, as opposed to killing it, will gain you favour with time.

I speak generally, of course, as other issues are at-hand.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18475
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Killing time

#116  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 16, 2018 3:35 am

I'm pretty sure none of that meant anything at all, except for the part about hobbies extending lifespans.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14253
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Killing time

#117  Postby Cito di Pense » Feb 16, 2018 7:22 am

jamest wrote:Most hobbies are trivial, but they will [generally] extend your lifespan. Simply because any instant whereby you are consuming time, as opposed to killing it, will gain you favour with time.


Aviators have an old saying, "Time spent flying (piloting an aircraft) is not deducted from your lifespan." I wonder if that's what you're on about. Compared with flying, most hobbies are along the lines of YMMV. My first flight instructor, when we met for early morning lessons before I had to head to the office to finance my flying hobby, used to say, "Flying is the second-best way to start your day."
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
User avatar
Cito di Pense
 
Name: Fay Smask
Posts: 29357
Age: 23
Male

Country: The Heartland
Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Re: Killing time

#118  Postby Fallible » Feb 16, 2018 7:29 am

You didn't go to sleep so as to obliterate time from your consciousness. You went to sleep because your body needs sleep in order to repair it, rejuvenate it and sort out hormones.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 47
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Killing time

#119  Postby LucidFlight » Feb 16, 2018 7:56 am

Fallible wrote:You didn't go to sleep so as to obliterate time from your consciousness. You went to sleep because your body needs sleep in order to repair it, rejuvenate it and sort out hormones.

Darwinist propaganda!
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
User avatar
LucidFlight
RS Donator
 
Name: Kento
Posts: 10795
Male

Country: UK/US/AU/SG
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Killing time

#120  Postby BWE » Feb 16, 2018 4:07 pm

jamest wrote:I know that this is a huge generalism, but it seems to me that when we're not asleep/in bed (about 2/7ths of our time) that most of us are doing things that we don't want to do. I mean, few of the kids I've known 'love' school. Even fewer of the adults I've known have loved their work. It's a means to paying the bills. Full stop. That's another 2 or 3 7ths down the drain. But, that still leaves 2 or 3 7ths of our time to be 'free'.

What do most of us do with that time? Well, unless we're wealthy (which few of us are) we only get to go to the pub/cinema/theatre/restaurant/days out/etc. about [say - as another generalism] a couple of dozen times a year. Add to that the [average] of a yearly family holiday of about 10 days.

The point is that for most of our lives we're either asleep or doing things that we don't want to do to pay bills. In our spare time we don't [generally] have the finances to do what we want to do. So, what do we do with that time?

... We try to 'kill' it, with computers/consoles/TV/music/cooking/gym/etc..

The point I'm trying to make is that 'we' don't generally enjoy 'time', much of the time. For the most part, we dislike it or try to kill it with braindead activities to alleviate the pain of enduring it whilst devoid of what we really want. Whatever that is.

In other words, I put it to you that none of 'us' essentially enjoy our time. We're just going through the motions. The motions which will least upset our [individual] emotions.

Speak for yourself. I very much enjoy the majority of my time on this Earth. I am consciously aware of it frequently too. When I am at the computer, I am doing interesting mind games and being creative and I like that. I don't watch tv or many movies, maybe 10 or 20 movies in the past 30 years. I Enjoy being busy with cleaning and house projects, I play music in a band and sculpture when I can. I love my wife. I mean, I'm sorry if this is bragging or whatever, but being happy has a large element of intentionality to it. I mean, the absolutely only thing that the conscious self has actual control over in the sum total of our individual experience is it's attitude. But we tend not to either prioritize contentment/happiness or just haven't been taught how to do it I suppose. That all assumes a brain within a typical range of course. Phineas Gage or however his name was spelled had a sour outlook after the giant metal spike went through his frontal lobes which seemed to be more than the obvious annoyance at having a spike thrust through his head and then pulled back out.
User avatar
BWE
 
Posts: 2490

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest