Killing time

The reasons, the cure, why bother?

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Killing time

#1  Postby jamest » Feb 10, 2018 1:26 am

I know that this is a huge generalism, but it seems to me that when we're not asleep/in bed (about 2/7ths of our time) that most of us are doing things that we don't want to do. I mean, few of the kids I've known 'love' school. Even fewer of the adults I've known have loved their work. It's a means to paying the bills. Full stop. That's another 2 or 3 7ths down the drain. But, that still leaves 2 or 3 7ths of our time to be 'free'.

What do most of us do with that time? Well, unless we're wealthy (which few of us are) we only get to go to the pub/cinema/theatre/restaurant/days out/etc. about [say - as another generalism] a couple of dozen times a year. Add to that the [average] of a yearly family holiday of about 10 days.

The point is that for most of our lives we're either asleep or doing things that we don't want to do to pay bills. In our spare time we don't [generally] have the finances to do what we want to do. So, what do we do with that time?

... We try to 'kill' it, with computers/consoles/TV/music/cooking/gym/etc..

The point I'm trying to make is that 'we' don't generally enjoy 'time', much of the time. For the most part, we dislike it or try to kill it with braindead activities to alleviate the pain of enduring it whilst devoid of what we really want. Whatever that is.

In other words, I put it to you that none of 'us' essentially enjoy our time. We're just going through the motions. The motions which will least upset our [individual] emotions.
Last edited by jamest on Feb 10, 2018 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Killing time

#2  Postby Animavore » Feb 10, 2018 1:30 am

jamest wrote:The point I'm trying to make is that 'we' don't generally enjoy 'time',

But I enjoy...

jamest wrote:computers/consoles/TV/music/cooking/gym/etc..
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 10, 2018 1:32 am

Can't propagate genetic material all the time. I enjoy listening/dancing/singing along to music/cooking/eating/smoking/drinking (moderately)/telling stories/discussing issues with friends (well; just the missus currently actually) it ain't unpleasant - quite the opposite!
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4  Postby jamest » Feb 10, 2018 1:36 am

Animavore wrote:
jamest wrote:The point I'm trying to make is that 'we' don't generally enjoy 'time',

But I enjoy...

Don't get me wrong, there's some fun/enjoyment to be had at the movies or on your console/pc/.whatever. But, if you're anything like me then you'll acknowledge that you're using those things to kill time and that whilst using them you're often far from content/happy.

My point isn't that there's no joy to be had in time. My point is that for the most part, there's no joy to be had in time. Therefore, I contend [that for the most part] you too are killing time, as also time is killing you.
Last edited by jamest on Feb 10, 2018 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 10, 2018 1:38 am

Mid life crisis? (no offence m8).
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Animavore » Feb 10, 2018 1:42 am

jamest wrote:
Animavore wrote:

But I enjoy...

Don't get me wrong, there's some fun/enjoyment to be had at the movies or on your console/pc. But, if you're anything like me then you'll acknowledge that you're using those things to kill time and that whilst using them you're often far from content/happy.

But I'm not anything like you. Also; killing time from what? I've nothing better to do with my time than fill it with activities and experiences. And on a budget too.

It sounds more like to me you're not enjoying not having the money to launch cars into space. As if there can be no fun to be found in simply watching.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#7  Postby jamest » Feb 10, 2018 1:52 am

Keep It Real wrote:Mid life crisis? (no offence m8).

You can't really offend me, m8, since my ship has sailed from the port of Earth.

I've been philosophising for about two decades. That's a sign of intelligence, not age. ;)
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby jamest » Feb 10, 2018 2:00 am

Animavore wrote:
jamest wrote:
Animavore wrote:

But I enjoy...

Don't get me wrong, there's some fun/enjoyment to be had at the movies or on your console/pc. But, if you're anything like me then you'll acknowledge that you're using those things to kill time and that whilst using them you're often far from content/happy.

But I'm not anything like you. Also; killing time from what? I've nothing better to do with my time than fill it with activities and experiences. And on a budget too.

It sounds more like to me you're not enjoying not having the money to launch cars into space. As if there can be no fun to be found in simply watching.

If I were to win the the lottery tomorrow, I'd still be advocating what I've said here. The highs of time are few and far between, imo. I know I'm an idealist, but I'm also a lifegazer, so put your Irish fiddle away.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#9  Postby laklak » Feb 10, 2018 2:03 am

The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation, or, IOW, life sucks and then you die. Nothing you do here matters a whit, you won't be remembered for anything in another 100 years. Nowt to be done about it, so might as well smoke a bowl and have a beer. Calms down the old neurons, and overactive neurons are the primary cause of dissatisfaction. Stun as many of the little buggers as quickly as possible and you'll be as happy as Larry.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Animavore » Feb 10, 2018 2:09 am

jamest wrote:
Animavore wrote:
jamest wrote:
Animavore wrote:

But I enjoy...

If I were to win the the lottery tomorrow, I'd still be advocating what I've said here. The highs of time are few and far between, imo. I know I'm an idealist, but I'm also a lifegazer, so put your Irish fiddle away.

You need to stop gazing and get involved. :levi:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#11  Postby jamest » Feb 10, 2018 2:10 am

laklak wrote:The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation, or, IOW, life sucks and then you die. Nothing you do here matters a whit, you won't be remembered for anything in another 100 years. Nowt to be done about it, so might as well smoke a bowl and have a beer. Calms down the old neurons, and overactive neurons are the primary cause of dissatisfaction. Stun as many of the little buggers as quickly as possible and you'll be as happy as Larry.

I appreciate your honesty here, because it sums-up precisely what I've said.

It appears that most of 'humanity' won't realise what a fucking waste of time time is, until they become as mature as you. I guess the goal is to make 'them' recognise that much earlier. Perhaps then revolutions might happen worthy of note in the philosophy forum.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#12  Postby jamest » Feb 10, 2018 2:22 am

Animavore wrote:
jamest wrote:
Animavore wrote:
jamest wrote:

Get involved with what? Irish nationalism/insecurity? Fuck that, just as much as getting involved with any such bollocks. Or are you talking about something else?
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#13  Postby laklak » Feb 10, 2018 2:37 am

Some see it as nihilistic, but I see it as a considered and rational response to surviving decades spent slaving down't mine for the enrichment of unappreciative others.

There are certainly other things that contribute to a sense of contentment, which is (I think) about the best we can aspire to. Grown kids who don't hit you up for money every week. A wife who isn't a bipolar drug addict. Dependable, low-hour, marine diesels. And enough dosh to keep the wolves fed. But still, in those small, quiet moments when the wife is asleep, the kitchen is clean, and you're sitting in front of the mindless drivel that passes for mass entertainment - you can't beat a spliff and a Dos Equis. Lowered expectations are always easier to fulfill.

Noli nothis permittere te terere! :cheers:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Animavore » Feb 10, 2018 2:49 am

jamest wrote:
Animavore wrote:
jamest wrote:
Animavore wrote:

Get involved with what? Irish nationalism/insecurity? Fuck that, just as much as getting involved with any such bollocks. Or are you talking about something else?

Get involved with life. :levi:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#15  Postby jamest » Feb 10, 2018 2:55 am

laklak wrote:Some see it as nihilistic, but I see it as a considered and rational response to surviving decades spent slaving down't mine for the enrichment of unappreciative others.

There are certainly other things that contribute to a sense of contentment, which is (I think) about the best we can aspire to. Grown kids who don't hit you up for money every week. A wife who isn't a bipolar drug addict. Dependable, low-hour, marine diesels. And enough dosh to keep the wolves fed. But still, in those small, quiet moments when the wife is asleep, the kitchen is clean, and you're sitting in front of the mindless drivel that passes for mass entertainment - you can't beat a spliff and a Dos Equis. Lowered expectations are always easier to fulfill.

Noli illegitimi carborundum! :cheers:

I'm of the opinion that the bulk of us feel like you, even if our lives are experientially different.

I don't even want to bring theism into this, at this juncture. Regardless, it's a fucking crime that in the 21st century people [like you] are willing to put up with medieval bollocks. At some point, there will be enough people saying "Enough of this shit" sufficient to change things. I mean, we've seen it before in history. The American Revolution, for instance. It's possible that we can escape this form of slavery too, Sir.

I understand your sentiment regarding your own life, but if you care for humanity as a whole then start polishing your armour.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby jamest » Feb 10, 2018 2:57 am

Animavore wrote:
jamest wrote:
Animavore wrote:
jamest wrote:

What a wanked-out meaningless mantra that is. :nono:
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Animavore » Feb 10, 2018 2:59 am

jamest wrote:
Animavore wrote:
jamest wrote:
Animavore wrote:

No more meaningless that the twaddle you're coming out with about "killing time". You still haven't answered what we are killing time waiting for.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#18  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 10, 2018 3:06 am

I’m not sure what you think he’s supposed to be doing, jamest.

As for me, I’m having a difficult time relating to your OP. I enjoy my work, and I chose it for that very reason. It’s not puppies and sunshine every day, but if I wanted to just pay the bills there’s way easier and more lucrative ways to do it. My work also keeps me very busy, so I certainly don’t consider what little time I have to spend on things like video games “killing time”. Given my gaming backlog alone, I wish I had at least another lifetime.

Maybe you should think about getting a better job? Or do you think that anything one does is “killing time”?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Macdoc » Feb 10, 2018 3:07 am

Yup ....FFS there are hardly enough hours in the day to enjy with all the choices we have these days, books to read, movies and TV shows to watch, whinge about winter, ( a Candian thing eh ) look forward to Hawaii, share xword with my partner in Australia, marvel at new tech and supply some of it.

and this ....a fantastic time to be alive

[youtube]http://drscdn.500px.org/photo/245562569/m%3D900/v2?webp=true&sig=6e3865d485ee97ec0ea57d92b01c8caba80704a011b9d010675ef646db671467[/youtube]

looking forward to my 1880 thread count sheets and pillow cases...for the grand total of $26....

Not wild about having to move but it's a nicer place.

The Hawaii to make up for winter and Australia in August after a trip to OskKosh for Flight Week.

Enjoying the Olympics just now .....

It's only as sparkling as you make it......

Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#20  Postby jamest » Feb 10, 2018 3:13 am

Animavore wrote:
jamest wrote:
Animavore wrote:
jamest wrote:

No more meaningless that the twaddle you're coming out with about "killing time". You still haven't answered what we are killing time waiting for.

I wasn't asked such a question, is why. What we need to establish first though, is that few of us truly enjoy time except in snippets. And, even if we do, we are still left with the possible aftermath of guilt for doing so unless we're the sort who don't give a fuck about anyone/anything.

In which case, never trust a happy person on Earth, unless they're stupid. The other cunts are putting up a front. See beyond it.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Philosophy