Look with human not Cyclopean sight

best path when facing uncertainty/fear in life

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Look with human not Cyclopean sight

#1  Postby realNutjob » May 17, 2017 12:38 am

This might be the most obvious or ridiculous post you read.......or it might open you up to a new way of looking when faced with fear/uncertainty in a moment in your life.

When we are uncertain of something, we usually focus our "what ifs" regarding it on the reality of it becoming true in our future. Essentially we consider and investigate only what we fear may become true when we face uncertainty.
That seems right doesn't it? But I wonder.....isnt that really a one-sided look at what may lie ahead for the paths of our future life?
We almost never look at what we think may happen if our may NOT be realized.

That seems to make sense since if it is not realized, we will not have to worry about it, right? But the fact is we are uncertain at that point, so in reality we are not certain whether we will love or fear our future reality based on that uncertainty. And we let our fear decide how we will consider what to do....sometimes, and I personally know this as a fact since I started practicing this, considering what i fear may become true AND what I love may become true does not always lead me to the realization I expected. And it also has me fearing the uncertainty less.

Its sort of like going on through the rapids on the river of life(this river has the interesting feature of only splitting into two paths when it splits), having plans of reaching certain future points along the river(we dont know how to reach them but we learn more about the layout from fellow kayakers as we journey) and when we reach a split in the river only deciding to take the path we are MORE uncertain of in order to learn more about the river's layout! I suspect that's not a good metaphor but meh the best I could come up with right now.

A skeptic facing uncertainty on ANY question(X) will tend to investigate only what he FEARS may become true(i.e. what if I am wrong about X?) and NOT "what if I am right about X?" since the assumption is made("I dont have to worry about what is right!)...but the fact is we are UNCERTAIN about X so we dont know WHAT will be right or wrong/good or bad etc. and we consider only one side but looking at BOTH sides would give us the better picture.....I don't know if my view is really stupid or pointless from your viewpoint or something you find useful. Certainly practicing it when faced with your next few uncertainties will give you a better idea....

I am interested in fellow posters thoughts....
realNutjob

Name: Anoop

India (in)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Look with human not Cyclopean sight

#2  Postby Matthew Shute » May 17, 2017 2:16 am

realNutjob wrote:Essentially we consider and investigate only what we fear may become true when we face uncertainty. That seems right doesn't it?

Not at all.

But I wonder.....isnt that really a one-sided look at what may lie ahead for the paths of our future life?

It sounds one-sided if it only involves investigating fearful possibilities, yes.

sometimes, and I personally know this as a fact since I started practicing this, considering what i fear may become true AND what I love may become true does not always lead me to the realization I expected. And it also has me fearing the uncertainty less.

Sure. Uncertainty on its own doesn't mean an undesirable outcome is more likely than a desirable one. It just means you can't be certain what'll happen.

A skeptic facing uncertainty on ANY question(X) will tend to investigate only what he FEARS may become true

That's not so. What about if you're skeptical about someone's claim that there's a silent but ravenous monster hiding under your bed? Obviously you don't fear it being found that there's no such monster. You'd only get scared if you were credulous enough to take the claim on face value as true.

(i.e. what if I am wrong about X?)

This could involve a fear, perhaps the fear of being led of astray by a false idea, but it could also just be a healthy dose of doubt, and a recognition that we're fallible humans, not omniscient entities.

and NOT "what if I am right about X?" since the assumption is made("I dont have to worry about what is right!)

If you're just being skeptical of a claim, you don't have to make any such assumption. You don't have to make sure the claim comes out false, no matter what. Surely the point is that you want to determine if the claim is false.

but the fact is we are UNCERTAIN about X so we dont know WHAT will be right or wrong/good or bad etc.

When you ask questions, look for evidence, and test the claim you're considering, you're ultimately trying to reduce your uncertainty about that claim. When people say they're uncertain, that doesn't always mean they haven't the foggiest clue. There are degrees of uncertainty, and I find that it's rarely necessary to declare absolute certainty about a positive claim.
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#3  Postby zulumoose » May 17, 2017 7:20 am

I think there is some merit in the OP.

I certainly spend too much time focussed on how to deal with a worst case scenario, and have often been labelled as negative because of it, when from my perspective I am just preparing to avoid pitfalls, and protecting everyone.

My experience is that positive people who plan on everything going right are perceived as good, and they are not blamed when things go wrong, even when it leads to a disaster they should have avoided with some foresight. They often are the people who make things happen and generally people want to follow them.Those who are careful and point out the potential pitfalls in following a particular course may often save a project from disaster, but they are resented for it, labelled as negative, and as a consequence are not valued and do not progress.

There is a common saying that failing to plan is planning to fail, but I think in reality those who plan against failure are often planning their own failure, the best approach is scenario planning, with high-road and low-road projections, so that both best and worst case scenarios are considered and the negative labels are avoided.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#4  Postby realNutjob » May 17, 2017 2:13 pm

When you ask questions, look for evidence, and test the claim you're considering, you're ultimately trying to reduce your uncertainty about that claim. When people say they're uncertain, that doesn't always mean they haven't the foggiest clue. There are degrees of uncertainty, and I find that it's rarely necessary to declare absolute certainty about a positive claim.

True enough. My problem is that I am going nuts thinking about these concepts. And it's not empirically testable evidence.
It's essentially a paradox isn't it? Being certain that uncertainty will always be unless change stops changing?
realNutjob

India (in)
Print view this post

#5  Postby DavidMcC » May 17, 2017 2:23 pm

When I saw the title, I though it might be about eyesight (stereoscopic vision). How wrong I was. Very disappointing!
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Cito di Pense » May 17, 2017 4:55 pm

realNutjob wrote:My problem is that I am going nuts thinking about these concepts.

Is that the problem you're trying to solve? Easy-peasy. Stop thinking about those concepts. The world doesn't owe you any certainties, although it grants you a clear one or two of them, such that the present bumps and shifts won't last forever. If you have fears that they will, that's not my department to help you with, but you don't have any good reasons to think so.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Ivar Poäng
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#7  Postby realNutjob » May 18, 2017 5:36 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
realNutjob wrote:My problem is that I am going nuts thinking about these concepts.

Is that the problem you're trying to solve? Easy-peasy. Stop thinking about those concepts. The world doesn't owe you any certainties, although it grants you a clear one or two of them, such that the present bumps and shifts won't last forever. If you have fears that they will, that's not my department to help you with, but you don't have any good reasons to think so.

Thanks Cito but I have had my realization after contemplation last night. Fear may be part of my future reality but it no longer has any control over me since change is always possible. :thumbup:
realNutjob

India (in)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Cito di Pense » May 18, 2017 7:11 am

realNutjob wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:

Thanks Cito but I have had my realization after contemplation last night. Fear may be part of my future reality but it no longer has any control over me since change is always possible. :thumbup:

Fabulous bit of reasoning, Anoop. You are truly a brilliant thinker. You have gathered together fear, change, and control (not to mention, reality and possibility) in ways that no one could have anticipated, producing a mantra no one has ever spoken before.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Ivar Poäng
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#9  Postby realNutjob » May 27, 2017 3:48 pm

:cheers: Aw shucks Cito. Yer just too kind....
realNutjob

India (in)
Print view this post

Return to Philosophy