My Philosophy of Life

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Critique My Philosophy of Life?

#41  Postby Philosofer123 » Mar 18, 2014 1:41 am

Deremensis wrote:
Philosofer123 wrote:
Agreed. And on pages 11-12, I develop my own guidelines for behavior that are based on empathy and long-range self-interest. In fact, even for those with little or no empathy, considerations of long-range self-interest alone can promote pro-social behavior (again, see pages 11-12).

That last assertion is actually not something I'm quite so sure of. I don't believe that that is necessarily a strictly moral or philosophical view - do we actually, empirically, KNOW that those without empathy WOULD act pro-socially based purely on long-range self interest? For that matter, how common is it for humans to really be able to look at their long term self interest? We know for a fact that the human mind tends to reward short-term gains far more than long-term goal seeking behavior. (In a moment when I have more time, I will search for a source on that, but I'm fairly sure that it's well established.)

All I claim is that "considerations of long-range self-interest alone CAN PROMOTE pro-social behavior" (see above). And I lay out those considerations on pages 11-12. I do not claim to KNOW that those without empathy WOULD act pro-socially based purely on long-range self interest.
Philosofer123

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby Reeve » Mar 18, 2014 3:18 am

The problem with Philosofer123's philosophy is that it wants to say that: It happens to be that the way the world "really is" (or as one thinks it really is e.g. no god, no free will etc.) ought to make one feel warm and fuzzy inside after all!

Well I hate to invoke Blur lyrics, once again, but: That's not my problem. :tongue:
Cito wrote:Reeve is a daily reality for girls. I don't know what this implies.

archibald wrote:I don't take Reeve seriously. I don't think he takes himself seriously.
Reeve

Male

Print view this post

#43  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 08, 2014 12:20 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
hackenslash wrote:What a fucking waste of time.

I wouldn't say that - Philosopher123's exposition of the "no personal responsibility" argument has informed me as to just what a horrible outlook that entails. Very enlightening. I'd rather choose to take proper responsibility for my actions than be lost to a world of indifferent apathy where there's no such thing as self-esteem. Fucking good thread I reckon.

Well, that didn't stick. I still don't believe in personal responsibility or free will. It's just not something one can "choose" to believe in - like Pascal's Wager, the fatal flaw is that one has no freedom to choose what one believes about anything; one's beliefs are based on neurological states entirely beyond our control. This fact resonates well with the theme of no personal responsibility pervading this thread - we're biological robots incapable of thinking outside the constraints of our influences.

I guess I pretty well agree with your philosophy of life OP, except that I find the logical elimination of self-esteem to be very uncomfortable to the point that I can't deem the philosophy to be positive overall ATM.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell play people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

It's not the money that's the problem - it's the occupational therapy.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Agrippina » Jun 08, 2014 2:03 pm

I can't read pages and pages of someone's personal philosophy please can I have a bullet-point summary?
Illegitimi non carborundum
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 08, 2014 2:15 pm

Agrippina wrote:I can't read pages and pages of someone's personal philosophy please can I have a bullet-point summary?

Have you read the thread? Or is that also TL;DR?
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell play people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Agrippina » Jun 08, 2014 2:18 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
Agrippina wrote:I can't read pages and pages of someone's personal philosophy please can I have a bullet-point summary?

Have you read the thread? Or is that also TL;DR?

I wouldn't have asked for the short version if I hadn't read it. All I see is "look at pages 11-12" I'm not reading 12 pages of something that can be abbreviated in 10 or 15 short statements.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 08, 2014 2:31 pm

OK; here is a brief summary:

Atheism
I define “atheism” as the view that it is highly unlikely that the Abrahamic God exists, and that there is no good reason to believe that any other god exists

Afterlife skepticism
Afterlife skepticism is the view that it is highly unlikely that there is an afterlife. I define “afterlife” as consciousness after bodily death, including brain death

Free will impossibilism
Free will impossibilism is the view that free will is impossible. I define “free will” as that which is sufficient for one to be ultimately responsible for one’s intentional actions performed for a reason.

Moral skepticism
Moral skepticism is the view that it is highly implausible that objective moral facts exist. Therefore, under moral skepticism, it is highly implausible that anything is objectively “good” or “evil” or “right” or “wrong” or “morally obligatory” or “morally impermissible”.

Existential skepticism
Existential skepticism is the view that it is highly implausible that life has inherent meaning, purpose or value.

Thanatophobic irrationalism
Thanatophobic irrationalism is the view that the fear of death is irrational.

Negative hedonism
Optimizing one’s state of mind over one’s lifetime is the ultimate goal that best fits all plausible ultimate considerations.

Achieving and maintaining peace of mind
My philosophical positions promote peace of mind in a variety of ways.

Beyond peace of mind
Once one has achieved peace of mind, positive emotions may enable one to feel even better.

Political hedonism
Negative hedonism implies political hedonism, the view that the only rational stance to take toward political matters is to do whatever optimizes one’s state of mind over one’s lifetime, while remaining mindful that one’s empathy (if one has it) incorporates the welfare of others into one’s own state of mind

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby felltoearth » Jun 08, 2014 2:35 pm

hackenslash wrote:
All in all, some good points raised, but ultimately useless as a complete philosophy of life. It excludes the vast range of human experience.

Most do. See Jamest's thread about life without the "divine" or some such– I can't remember the term he actually used.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Agrippina » Jun 08, 2014 2:52 pm

Keep It Real wrote:OK; here is a brief summary:

Thank you for doing this. Makes it easier to comment.

Atheism
I define “atheism” as the view that it is highly unlikely that the Abrahamic God exists, and that there is no good reason to believe that any other god exists

I agree with that.
My atheism extends to a disbelief in anything that can't be empirically tested. I would imagine that makes me skeptical of what science hasn't yet been able to explain as well. I'm ok with that. If something new is found, for instance that the stars actually do influence the events of my day, I'll look at the evidence. In the meantime, I include astrology in my atheism.

Afterlife skepticism
Afterlife skepticism is the view that it is highly unlikely that there is an afterlife. I define “afterlife” as consciousness after bodily death, including brain death

Yep, I agree with that. I was dead before I was born, I'll be dead after my life again.

Free will impossibilism
Free will impossibilism is the view that free will is impossible. I define “free will” as that which is sufficient for one to be ultimately responsible for one’s intentional actions performed for a reason.

This topic has been discussed for over 30 years in my family and is a topic of my eldest's academic research, so I'm fairly familiar with his arguments which support the unlikelihood of total control over one's decisions. I can give a link to his Master's thesis.

Moral skepticism
Moral skepticism is the view that it is highly implausible that objective moral facts exist. Therefore, under moral skepticism, it is highly implausible that anything is objectively “good” or “evil” or “right” or “wrong” or “morally obligatory” or “morally impermissible”.

I think that morality is flexible to a degree. Is it moral to kill someone? The simple answer is "no." However, this would then make war immoral. So when is it ok to kill another person and still retain the moral high ground? So no, I don't think there's an "all-purpose" objective morality.

Existential skepticism
Existential skepticism is the view that it is highly implausible that life has inherent meaning, purpose or value.

I agree with this. My "philosophy" is that we are animals, highly skilled ones, but nevertheless, still animals. The sole purpose of our existence is to perpetuate the species. Nothing more. But because we are high-functioning animals, we should make a purpose of our lives. I haven't quite worked out the purpose of my life yet. :grin:

Thanatophobic irrationalism
Thanatophobic irrationalism is the view that the fear of death is irrational.

Yep. Once you've had to deal with the deaths of several people you've known and loved, and are dealing with the deaths of your siblings, and close friends, you learn to accept that it's irrational to fear death, why be afraid of the inevitable? It's not a nice idea that the world will go on turning without you, but it will, so don't fear death, embrace life instead.

Negative hedonism
Optimizing one’s state of mind over one’s lifetime is the ultimate goal that best fits all plausible ultimate considerations.

Yep, see what I said above about embracing life.

Achieving and maintaining peace of mind
My philosophical positions promote peace of mind in a variety of ways.

I battle with this one, but then I obsess about losing the people who are closest to me, and a fear harm coming to them. So peace of mind is not something I've been able to achieve.

Beyond peace of mind
Once one has achieved peace of mind, positive emotions may enable one to feel even better.

Possibly. It's hard for someone with my issues to come to this conclusion. At least I don't have depression anymore.

Political hedonism
Negative hedonism implies political hedonism, the view that the only rational stance to take toward political matters is to do whatever optimizes one’s state of mind over one’s lifetime, while remaining mindful that one’s empathy (if one has it) incorporates the welfare of others into one’s own state of mind

Yeah, the stupidity of politicians is one of the things I obsess about. I view politicians as the lowest form of humanity, along with ministers of religion. The one is merely an incarnation of the failed other. Both exploiting the masses for monetary gain, and caring very little for the exploited masses. But this is wandering off-topic. My concern about politicians has a lot to do with that ability to see that the people they exploit are the ones that deserve their deepest concern. I'll never have peace of mind until people are treated absolutely fairly by politicians. As I said, I'm wandering off-topic.

Again. Thanks for posting this. :thumbup:

As Hack says, there are other aspects of the human experience that can be discussed.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Philosofer123 » Aug 12, 2014 3:25 am

The Google Docs link in the OP is now inactive. My philosophy is now available at:

http://philosofer123.wordpress.com
Philosofer123

United States (us)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Rumraket » Aug 12, 2014 9:56 am

pl0bs wrote:
Philosofer123 wrote:No takers? Really?
Dont expect too much, this is basically the anal prolapse of the internet where the ppl with the most extreme paranormal fantasies end up.

That's why you're here, after all. The very apex of rectal inversion is sublimely encapsulated in your every post. You need not even write anything.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#52  Postby DavidMcC » Aug 12, 2014 12:52 pm

Philosofer123 wrote:
free will impossibilism

... Which says nothing about your philosophy, except that you think the laws of physics and chemistry apply in your brain.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

My Philosophy of Life

#53  Postby Philosofer123 » Sep 25, 2018 8:38 pm

Over the past decade, I have formulated my philosophy of life. A brief summary and link to the full document may be found here:

I am posting the document here in order to solicit feedback so that it may be improved. I look forward to your comments.
Philosofer123

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: My Philosophy of Life

#54  Postby minininja » Sep 25, 2018 9:25 pm

Pretty sure we've done this one before.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/philo ... 44200.html

What's changed in the last few years?
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#55  Postby Philosofer123 » Sep 25, 2018 9:45 pm

What's changed in the last few years?

Hopefully, some of the people who are on this forum. I look forward to feedback from new readers.
Philosofer123

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby laklak » Sep 25, 2018 10:41 pm

Likely an abbreviated list of the last bunch.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#57  Postby bogdan9310 » Feb 07, 2019 4:31 pm

The google link is broken.
bogdan9310

Name: Bogdan Bacosca
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#58  Postby LucidFlight » Feb 07, 2019 5:05 pm

bogdan9310 wrote:The google link is broken.

Ahem:

Philosofer123 wrote:The Google Docs link in the OP is now inactive. My philosophy is now available at:

:)
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Charley
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#59  Postby bogdan9310 » Feb 08, 2019 11:06 am

Cheers.
bogdan9310

Name: Bogdan Bacosca
Male