On Idealism, repeated

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: On Idealism, repeated

#441  Postby Frozenworld » Nov 18, 2021 12:06 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Frozenworld wrote:Wouldn't calling solipsism nonsense just be a case of Appeal to Consequences then? It might be useless but that doesn't make it less true as a result.

And in the case of language which is often cited as a hard argument against it there is evidence that language doesn't need an intelligent mind to give it meaning: https://youtu.be/eJCmerK0DjQ?t=1042

But does that invalidate the language argument then?


We're not arguing with some third party on youtube. It's up to you to make the case that language doesn't need an intelligent mind to give it meaning. That's harder than you seem to think. The question of solipsism doesn't automatically make this guy's youtube video interesting to anyone but you, so far. I mean, if solipsism is true, the guy in the youtube video is just a figment of your mind. Is that how you propose to imply that you're making an argument? If it is, then you first need to establish that solipsism is true. Is that what's keeping you up nights, Bunky?

The fact that an intelligent mind isn't necessary doesn't establish that intelligent minds don't exist. You're still stuck with your hypothetical "if solipsism is true..." but that should motivate you to demonstrate that solipsism is true. Something like presuppositional apologetics and its axioms is how some people establish that at least one intelligent mind exists. You start by assuming that the Christian bible, including the OT, is the true word of God. Clearly, the language argument is pushing you toward Logos, but maybe that's just where you're coming from, and you're maintaining deep cover on a skeptic website.


It's irrelevant if he's a figment of my mind, the point that is being argued (and I even skipped to the point where it is shown language can evolve outside of an intelligent mind) is still there. You can't even be bothered to watch a couple minutes?

Unfortunately, you've also failed to show it's true. You haven't even managed to construct a sound argument yet. All you've done is appeal to ignorance and then slap on your desired consequence without offering reason to go there.


You've also done the same, in addition you have failed to make the case for an external reality.
Frozenworld
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 97

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: On Idealism, repeated

#442  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 18, 2021 2:59 am

Frozenworld wrote:
It's irrelevant if he's a figment of my mind,...


/point and laugh


Frozenworld wrote:the point that is being argued (and I even skipped to the point where it is shown language can evolve outside of an intelligent mind) is still there.


You still don't grasp that the ability to arrange words into a declarative phrase doesn't lend the resulting sentence a jot of validity. If you seek to convince people that you're not talking utter dreck, then you're going to need to furnish evidence, or employ logical reasoning - your assertions, borrowed or not from some possible figment of your imagination ( :lol: ), are not worth the time you take to write them.


Frozenworld wrote: You can't even be bothered to watch a couple minutes?


You've not provided a single reason why anyone should waste time on your flaccid contentions. When you get round to making your own argument some time, perhaps you might garner some interest?


Frozenworld wrote:
Unfortunately, you've also failed to show it's true. You haven't even managed to construct a sound argument yet. All you've done is appeal to ignorance and then slap on your desired consequence without offering reason to go there.


You've also done the same, in addition you have failed to make the case for an external reality.


Yet this is manifestly not the case as can be seen in this very thread. You ignoring inconvenient rebuttals to your baseless make-believe doesn't make those rebuttals go away, although that would be consistent with the brand of vacuous and narcissistic solipsism you appear to have uncritically bought into. What it does show is how utterly unwilling you are to engage in any level of discourse, and that your close-minded mentality is the only thing holding this farce together.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 29448
Age: 45
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: On Idealism, repeated

#443  Postby Greg the Grouper » Nov 18, 2021 3:07 am

Frozenworld wrote:You can't even be bothered to watch a couple minutes?


I'm willing to believe at this point, Frozen, that you'd have more success grappling with our rebuttals and even your own ideas if you were to bother to try and explain yourself, by yourself.

By all means, take ideas from this video you're asking them to watch, but consider taking the Feynman route with it. Explain it to us. Hell, pretend that you're dumbing it down for us, if you must.
Greg the Grouper
 
Name: Patrick
Posts: 165

Country: US
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: On Idealism, repeated

#444  Postby Cito di Pense » Nov 18, 2021 3:35 am

Frozenworld wrote:You can't even be bothered to watch a couple minutes?


Well, that's really making my point for me. You're bothered by the question of solipsism. I'm not. I'm not bothered because I can't make myself into a deep thinker by finding youtube videos compelling, and there are hard questions being asked by someone besides the narrator of a youtube video. I find these other questions more interesting. If you want someone to play your game with you, it's on you to make your question appealing. Begging your audience to watch youtube videos is lazy, and it is also a contradiction of solipsism. This suggests solipsism is not really the issue; rather, you've simply constructed a futile and infantile campaign to control at least one public conversation in your life. That is difficult to do in a youtube comments thread, but you'd be far better off publishing your rant there, where you can at least assume others are there to watch the same video you seem to think helps make your point.

Frozenworld wrote:in addition you have failed to make the case for an external reality.


You're still having exceptional difficulty understanding burden of proof and deciding whose case it is to make. You're opting instead to flail around trying to control the conversation. Telling you that you have contradicted yourself is not the same as insisting that there's an external reality. You might simply be the solitary mind that spends its effort on self-contradiction.

For a couple of decades or more, the mathematician Stephen Wolfram has been pressing the question of whether the universe we observe is simply a computation of cellular automata that is unfolding in an as-yet unknown way. You don't seem to know anything that Stephen Wolfram knows. Yet here you are, trying (rather desperately) to control the conversation when the task you're faced with is to make the question of solipsism interesting to people who have studied topics beyond the trivial version of solipsism you claim anyone (let alone you) has achieved.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
User avatar
Cito di Pense
 
Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Posts: 29669
Age: 23
Male

Country: Nutbush City Limits
Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Re: On Idealism, repeated

#445  Postby BlackBart » Nov 18, 2021 9:34 am

I think I'm going to start a forum inside Grand Theft Auto and demand the NPCs provide proof they exist. That'll be fun won't it?
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
User avatar
BlackBart
 
Name: rotten bart
Posts: 12523
Age: 59
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: On Idealism, repeated

#446  Postby zoon » Nov 18, 2021 11:56 am

Spearthrower wrote:
Similarly, humans are as much an evolved species as oak trees, and we are not inherently purposive any more than acorns are?


I can't photosynthesize, trees can't intend. I don't think there's any contradiction to consider the latter just as much an evolved ability, but it's one that trees don't have. To say that the acorn/tree is purposive is to engage in metaphor (useful linguistically to convey ideas), whereas to say a human plans an outcome is not metaphorical but literal.

My argument is that purpose is central and foundational when we think of a human being as a person, but that purpose is not a central, foundational concept when we think of a human being as an organism which evolved through natural selection.

I’m supposing, perhaps wrongly, that you would here point out that humans have mental models of their goals, and that this gives human intentions a physical reality which is absent from an acorn’s “purpose” to become an oak tree. A nineteenth-century watchmaker machining a cogwheel will have had, encoded somewhere in his brain’s processes, an idea of the finished cogwheel, and this is the defining feature of teleology.

Our intentions are also felt to have causal power. In particular, I identify my own intentions, and I am aware from moment to moment of my intentions causing my actions. If I form the intention to go shopping for groceries, it is immediately obvious to me that that intention, my wanting the outcome of having groceries, is the driving force behind my preparations, my walk to the shops etc. I assume, reasonably enough, that the same goes for other people. In our ordinary social lives, intentions are central, fundamental and causal.

However, when we think of ourselves as evolved organisms consisting of atoms which are described by the models of physics and chemistry, our intentions are no longer foundational or causal, they are transient patterns of brain activity. Potentially at least, my actions could be far more accurately predicted by tracking and modelling neural events in my brain than by regarding my intentions as primary causes. OK, the modelling would need to be probabilistic rather than exact, but even so it has the potential to be more accurate.

In particular, our predictions of other people are currently based on Theory of Mind and not on science or on direct observation. I predict another person by guessing their intentions and not by tracking their brain activity, so as far as I am concerned I see their intentions as the cause of their actions. But in this case, there is a huge source of uncertainty, since I cannot observe their intentions directly and I am relying on my own brain’s simulation of what is going on in the other person’s brain. We often guess other people’s intentions wrongly, sometimes wildly so, and we are sometimes even mistaken about our own motivations, especially when they are socially dodgy.

We are already predicting other people fairly effectively using an evolved method, I see no reason why scientific, probabilistic predictions based on neural activity should not eventually overtake Theory of Mind predictions in accuracy. There is no requirement here that the science should be perfectly accurate, only that it should routinely outperform Theory of Mind. If you are saying that complex brain activity cannot possibly be predicted because of all the uncertainties of quantum theory and the general noise of a wet and warm environment, then you are also claiming that we couldn’t possibly predict each other using any other method, including Theory of Mind.

For the time being, science is nowhere close to predicting people in ordinary life as accurately as we can predict each other with Theory of Mind. For this reason, it is the case for the foreseeable future that intentions are indeed foundational and causal in our models of other people, and by extension ourselves. It may be that science will never predict human beings better than we already predict each other, but I see no reason to rule out the possibility. Again, I would stress that the criterion isn’t perfectly accurate prediction, only predictions which are routinely, even if only slightly, more accurate than the evolved guesswork and simulation involved in Theory of Mind.

On the mentalistic, Theory of Mind, model of a person, intentions are foundational and causal. On the scientific model of a person, intentions still exist, but as patterns of brain activity without causal efficacy. On the scientific model, the watchmaker’s intention to make a cogwheel, the mental model of the finished object, does not qualify as a cause, but rather as a somewhat unreliable indicator of the watchmaker’s subsequent behaviour. This is the case whether or not science actually overtakes Theory of Mind for predicting people in practice.

If I say that I know my intentions are causal because I can feel them causing my actions, then I am using Frozenworld’s “argument”. Brains can create ongoing illusions.

Perhaps “cause” is just a fuzzy term, it may be fair to say that a “cause” is what we’ve identified as the best available guide to future events? For the time being, identifying intentions is the best guide we have to another person’s future behaviour, so intentions qualify as causes for now, at least for practical purposes. If neuroscience ever reaches the stage of predicting people more accurately, even if only slightly more accurately, than we can predict them with Theory of Mind, then we would be likely to see the causes of our behaviour in terms of atomic interactions or whatever quantum theory may have come up with by that time, and intentions would become irrelevant if not non-existent?
Last edited by zoon on Nov 18, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
zoon
 
Posts: 3275

Print view this post

Re: On Idealism, repeated

#447  Postby zoon » Nov 18, 2021 12:19 pm

BlackBart wrote:I think I'm going to start a forum inside Grand Theft Auto and demand the NPCs provide proof they exist. That'll be fun won't it?

Yes, I think I’m arguing that on the scientific model intentions have the same sort of existence as NPCs. Existence is another fuzzy term.

Perhaps “existence”, “cause” and “intention” are all terms which are mostly useful when dealing with other people’s deceptiveness, but which tend to become fuzzy and less useful in other contexts? In social life, most of what we know comes from other people, but people routinely lie to each other for advantage. When dealing with a flat lie such as an email informing me that a someone has vast sums of money which they want to transfer using my bank account, and that they will give me a large cut, then I can assume that the stated money and intention are totally fraudulent and to be dismissed, it doesn’t matter whether they have some sort of “real” existence in a mental model? We are constantly dealing with (not to mention using) half-lies and social half-truths, and needing to be aware of people’s “real” intentions.
User avatar
zoon
 
Posts: 3275

Print view this post

Re: On Idealism, repeated

#448  Postby Cito di Pense » Nov 19, 2021 1:43 pm

zoon wrote:I see no reason why scientific, probabilistic predictions based on neural activity should not eventually overtake Theory of Mind predictions in accuracy.


Well, that should be considerably easier to implement once we're all wearing miracle tinfoil hats that link all our neurological activity together. You, zoon, really need to learn something about computability and the challenges of computing a solution when the running time increases exponentially in the size of the problem, such as number of units of neural activity (you have not specified what you think the computational unit is). Once you flesh out your model of how these probabilistic predictions are to be accomplished, other than by jackass hand-waving, we'll be able to say more carefully what is possible and what is not. This should be some competition for a "Theory of Mind" that is poorly specified to an even greater degree other than that "it seems to work well enough". Well enough is what you'll end up with and it's what we have now. Nobody this side of Jeff Bezos is likely to be funding tinfoil hats and Jeff seems to be savvy enough to avoid shit like this.

zoon wrote:
If I say that I know my intentions are causal because I can feel them causing my actions, then I am using Frozenworld’s “argument”. Brains can create ongoing illusions.


Nothing creates the illusion of success quite like failure does. If you want to identify success or failure, you have to specify the target before you launch the projectile.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
User avatar
Cito di Pense
 
Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Posts: 29669
Age: 23
Male

Country: Nutbush City Limits
Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Re: On Idealism, repeated

#449  Postby Frozenworld » Nov 20, 2021 3:18 am

Spearthrower wrote:
Frozenworld wrote:
It's irrelevant if he's a figment of my mind,...


/point and laugh


Frozenworld wrote:the point that is being argued (and I even skipped to the point where it is shown language can evolve outside of an intelligent mind) is still there.


You still don't grasp that the ability to arrange words into a declarative phrase doesn't lend the resulting sentence a jot of validity. If you seek to convince people that you're not talking utter dreck, then you're going to need to furnish evidence, or employ logical reasoning - your assertions, borrowed or not from some possible figment of your imagination ( :lol: ), are not worth the time you take to write them.


Frozenworld wrote: You can't even be bothered to watch a couple minutes?


You've not provided a single reason why anyone should waste time on your flaccid contentions. When you get round to making your own argument some time, perhaps you might garner some interest?


Frozenworld wrote:
Unfortunately, you've also failed to show it's true. You haven't even managed to construct a sound argument yet. All you've done is appeal to ignorance and then slap on your desired consequence without offering reason to go there.


You've also done the same, in addition you have failed to make the case for an external reality.


Yet this is manifestly not the case as can be seen in this very thread. You ignoring inconvenient rebuttals to your baseless make-believe doesn't make those rebuttals go away, although that would be consistent with the brand of vacuous and narcissistic solipsism you appear to have uncritically bought into. What it does show is how utterly unwilling you are to engage in any level of discourse, and that your close-minded mentality is the only thing holding this farce together.


"Naïve realism (naïve being an apposite moniker) is a philosophical dead end. It can’t explain consciousness (hard problem), qualia, or subjectivity. Realism is attractive to non-abstract thought and proffers illusory evidence which pacifies the credulous.

There is no external reality in what we believe the physical world to encompass. All we can be certain of is that our experience is subjective. Anent the problem of other minds, as I explained to my Ian, which our Ian rejected, is that our realities are all in superposition with each other. You believe superposition is a function of the quantum world — which it is, but it’s also a fundamental state of physical reality.

The problem (not a problem in my solipsistic universe) is those words have been and are created by my choices as in “when the student is ready, the teacher will appear” (created by the student’s need).

Solipsism by its very nature is autodidactic and nothing besides things that are defined to be consistent within their definition can be proven. If philosophies were subject to proof, they wouldn’t be philosophy. The others have minds (that’s why they are other minds), just like you do (my you is necessarily deficient compared to your you, but that will change +/- depending on my perception), the same goes for their (my) behaviors."
Frozenworld
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 97

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: On Idealism, repeated

#450  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 20, 2021 3:46 am

"What a load of bollocks."

"Some muppets are prepared to believe anything so long as it makes them feel they're special."

"The difference between assertion and ass is ertion."
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 29448
Age: 45
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: On Idealism, repeated

#451  Postby zoon » Nov 20, 2021 11:19 am

Spearthrower wrote:
Similarly, humans are as much an evolved species as oak trees, and we are not inherently purposive any more than acorns are?


I can't photosynthesize, trees can't intend. I don't think there's any contradiction to consider the latter just as much an evolved ability, but it's one that trees don't have. To say that the acorn/tree is purposive is to engage in metaphor (useful linguistically to convey ideas), whereas to say a human plans an outcome is not metaphorical but literal.

I’m taking another tack in attempting to respond to the point you are making here.

Given that photosynthesis and intentions are both evolved functions, it should be possible to specify the criteria by which a robot could be judged to have those functions?

For example, if the criterion for photosynthesis is that the robot is taking energy from sunlight and using it to power the synthesis of organic compounds from water and from carbon dioxide in the air, then even a crude, non-biological robot which fulfilled that criterion would be displaying real, non-metaphorical photosynthesis. (This criterion would hold whether or not a non-biological photosynthesising robot is actually built.)

What would be the criteria by which a robot might be judged to have real, non-metaphorical intentions?

For example, a robot might be built in vaguely human shape, with moving arms and legs, and with a video screen inside its head. The video screen shows pictures of the robot as seen from outside. The robot could be built so that, before it moves one of its limbs, it runs a clip of itself executing the planned movement on the screen. Building this robot would not be outside the scope of current technology. Would this then be a robot with real and non-metaphorical, though exceedingly crude, intentions?

I would not dismiss that possibility. For example, humans are ultra-social animals, and when we are in company our body language is constantly sending out signals to the people around us. A running internal pre-check on what our actions are about to signal to other people could well be a brain process that would come about through natural selection, and it’s not unlike my awareness of my own intentions?

It’s when that internal “video”, where our own actions are pre-viewed as from outside, is interpreted as having spooky teleological causal power over our actions that we might start to suppose “real” intentions are impossible to replicate mechanically?

Similarly, a robot might be built with an internal video showing the room as seen by another robot in the same room – not by any direct connexion with the other robot, but by tracking lines of vision from that robot’s position. Again, there’s no conceptual difficulty about building that robot, and that brain process could well evolve through natural selection in a social animal. (There is evidence that we automatically track what another person can or cannot see from their position, an example 2013 paper is here.)

It’s when the internal “video” from the other person’s viewpoint is interpreted as a whole ghostly other world associated with that person, that the “hard problem” of consciousness arises.
User avatar
zoon
 
Posts: 3275

Print view this post

Re: On Idealism, repeated

#452  Postby hackenslash » Nov 20, 2021 11:52 am

Frozenworld wrote:Solipsism by its very nature is autodidactic


Obvious word salad. Solipsism cannot be autodidactic because it can't be any kind of didactic, or did you miss the bit where, under solipsism, NO KNOWLEDGE IS POSSIBLE?

If philosophies were subject to proof, they wouldn’t be philosophy.


And this is the dumbest thing you've ever said, in an extremely strong field.

You do get that 'proof' is a philosophical construct, right?
User avatar
hackenslash
 
Name: The Other Sweary One
Posts: 22249
Age: 52
Male

Country: Republic of Mancunia
Print view this post

Re: On Idealism, repeated

#453  Postby Frozenworld » Nov 28, 2021 8:01 pm

Spearthrower wrote:"What a load of bollocks."

"Some muppets are prepared to believe anything so long as it makes them feel they're special."

"The difference between assertion and ass is ertion."

As usual you have nothing to disprove it.

I've already explained why sensation isn't evidence against solipsism: https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-of- ... Pete-Ashly
Frozenworld
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 97

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: On Idealism, repeated

#454  Postby Greg the Grouper » Nov 28, 2021 9:06 pm

Frozenworld wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:"What a load of bollocks."

"Some muppets are prepared to believe anything so long as it makes them feel they're special."

"The difference between assertion and ass is ertion."

As usual you have nothing to disprove it.

I've already explained why sensation isn't evidence against solipsism: https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-of- ... Pete-Ashly


Putting aside how amazing it is that your 'explanation' amounts to someone waxxing poetic while literally stating that there exists a physical world...

Are you not stunned by how little it takes for you to just go ahead and believe something? 'You have nothing to disprove it'? I'm sorry, but I didn't realize the bar was that low when taking into consideration whether or not something is true.

So what exactly do you believe in? That you're a brain in a jar? That there is no physical you at all, and you're just some nameless consciousness in some indescribable void? That literally everything is exactly as you perceive it, with the exception that all of our hair follicles are exactly two inches longer? All of these vastly different realities could be justified from your position, so I'm curious about what it is you think is actually happening for literally no reason.
Greg the Grouper
 
Name: Patrick
Posts: 165

Country: US
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: On Idealism, repeated

#455  Postby newolder » Nov 28, 2021 9:17 pm

Frozenworld wrote:...

As usual you have nothing to disprove it.

...


To whom are you failing to shift the burden of proof?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
User avatar
newolder
 
Name: Albert Ross
Posts: 7509
Age: 1
Male

Country: Feudal Estate number 9
Print view this post

Re: On Idealism, repeated

#456  Postby hackenslash » Nov 28, 2021 9:33 pm

Frozenworld wrote:As usual you have nothing to disprove it.


Your logical fallacy is: onus probandi. Scepticism is the rebuttable position.

You don't only have nothing to prove it, as a basic matter of logic because, since onus probandi reduces to ipse dixit - essentially the evacuant of your rectal sphincter - you have nothing at all.

I've already explained why sensation isn't evidence against solipsism: https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-of- ... Pete-Ashly


And we've explained ad nauseam why evidence is not required against something entirely without evidence. The burden of provision of evidence is on the affirmative claim. This is among the most rudimentary principles of epistemology, expressed in serious circles as the principle that the null hypothesis can never be falsified, a.k.a. the problem of induction.

This is really simple, straightforward logic, which tells us you haven't the first clue how to draw a valid inference.
User avatar
hackenslash
 
Name: The Other Sweary One
Posts: 22249
Age: 52
Male

Country: Republic of Mancunia
Print view this post

Re: On Idealism, repeated

#457  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 28, 2021 10:37 pm

Frozenworld wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:"What a load of bollocks."

"Some muppets are prepared to believe anything so long as it makes them feel they're special."

"The difference between assertion and ass is ertion."


As usual you have nothing to disprove it.


And as usual, your response just tosses out some empty statement with no bearing on what you're supposedly replying to.

I can't disprove that a cosmic chicken laid a universe egg either, but similarly no one's given me any reason whatsoever to consider it a valid or true position.


Frozenworld wrote:I've already explained why sensation isn't evidence against solipsism:


1) No you haven't- you've asserted it in the exact same manner as the sentence above asserting that you've done so.
2) You're not responding to my argument, because my argument isn't 'sensation disproves solipsism'.



Frozenworld wrote:https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-of-the-greatest-mind-fucks/answer/Pete-Ashly


And Dave down the pub said you're talking a load of bollocks, so it must be true.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 29448
Age: 45
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: On Idealism, repeated

#458  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 28, 2021 10:43 pm

Greg the Grouper wrote:
Are you not stunned by how little it takes for you to just go ahead and believe something? 'You have nothing to disprove it'? I'm sorry, but I didn't realize the bar was that low when taking into consideration whether or not something is true.


All Hail the Universe Laying Cosmic Chicken....

You can't disprove it. No one has ever disproved it. Therefore it's true.


5th time this has been erected and disposed of. Apparently FW thinks that repeating fallacious arguments somehow make them valid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

Argument from ignorance (from Latin: argumentum ad ignorantiam), also known as appeal to ignorance (in which ignorance represents "a lack of contrary evidence"), is a fallacy in informal logic. It asserts that a proposition is true because it has not yet been proven false or a proposition is false because it has not yet been proven true. This represents a type of false dichotomy in that it excludes the possibility that there may have been an insufficient investigation to prove that the proposition is either true or false.[1] It also does not allow for the possibility that the answer is unknowable, only knowable in the future, or neither completely true nor completely false.[2] In debates, appealing to ignorance is sometimes an attempt to shift the burden of proof.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 29448
Age: 45
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: On Idealism, repeated

#459  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 28, 2021 10:49 pm

Good reason to believe something = belief in the proposition
Good reason not to believe something = disbelief in the proposition
No reason to believe something = disbelief in the proposition

The latter is essentially a null position: in the absence of evidence or reason to lend belief to a proposition, the default and logical response is not to lend it belief.

But that's essentially by the by when there are numerous good reasons not to believe in the proposition which you've also failed dramatically to substantiate despite spending so many words trying ironically to convince others of.

However, the latter position is where you should logically reside - even at very best reading, steel-manning for all I'm worth - there is yet another gaping chasm in your reasoning that lets you lend belief to a proposition you have no reason at all to believe.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 29448
Age: 45
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: On Idealism, repeated

#460  Postby Hermit » Nov 28, 2021 11:10 pm

Spearthrower wrote:I can't disprove that a cosmic chicken laid a universe egg either...

'Twas a peacock what did it, mate. A very beautiful peacock.

Image

The Yazidis consider Tawûsê Melek an emanation of God and a good, benevolent angel and leader of the archangels, who was entrusted to take care of the world after he passed a test and created the cosmos from the Cosmic egg.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera


God created the universe
God just exists
User avatar
Hermit
 
Name: Cantankerous grump
Posts: 4803
Age: 68
Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest